only just because it's not full solid state ?? :D
Recent Images In This Thread
- productHE-5LEtagged by System, 12/15/11
- categoryHeadphonestagged by System, 11/10/10
- brandHiFiMANtagged by System, 11/10/10
- productHiFiMAN HE-4tagged by System, 2/2/11
- productHiFiMAN HE-5tagged by System, 8/15/11
- productHiFiMAN HE-6 Planar Headphonetagged by System, 7/19/11
- categoryOver Eartagged by System, 11/10/10
Related Forum Threads
- HE-4 vs. HE-5LE Last post on 2/20/14 at 3:12pm in Introductions, Help and Recommendations
- HiFiMan Introduces New HE-500 Planar Magnetic Headphones Last post on 3/16/13 at 7:43pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Hifiman HE-4/5/6 vs Fischer FA-003? Last post on 3/11/11 at 6:36am in Headphones (full-size)
- Whatever happened to the HiFiMan dynamic headphone? Last post on 8/1/11 at 7:00am in Headphones (full-size)
- HiFiMAN HE-4 vs. HIFIMAN HE-400 Last post on 12/9/13 at 7:23pm in Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
Last edited: 1/18/16
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Ultra-High-End Headphones (Summit-Fi))Last edited: 12/4/15
- Headphone ImpedanceLast edited: 8/18/12
- Buying Guide Headphones By Price RangeLast edited: 10/26/12
- A Hopefully Helpful Headphone Buying Guide For Newbies By BoomanaLast edited: 1/6/13
The product was provided to me free of charge for the review purpose in exchange for my honest opinion. The review was originally posted on my blog, and now I would like to share it with all my...
Some "Provenance" to the Brand Name: Ocharaku is a "tea themed" company based in Japan. Focusing on Dynamic Driver IEM's, Ocharaku pushes the envelope when it comes to breaking the negative...
Introduction: The Fischer Audio Totem Paco (FE-131) is a newly released earphone from Fischer Audio. They’re small, built well and sound good. Want to know more? Read on. Below is the...
I was sent a couple of the ShareMe headphones to try recently for review purposes. The name of the company isn't one that I'm familiar with but I have seen various low priced offerings on...
The ANC-G5 active noise canceling headphones can be had from Amazon for 60 USD. How does it compare to the number one noise canceling headphones, the Bose QuietComfort QC20i? Comfort The...
Hifiman HE-4 Impressions Thread - Page 47post #691 of 38971/25/13 at 6:50am
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #692 of 38971/29/13 at 6:27pmpost #693 of 38973/12/13 at 4:38pmpost #694 of 38973/21/13 at 7:26amI just picked up a barely used HE-4 and I'm really digging the sound. I need more power, so will have to free up some money to get a beefier amp for it. The ear cups, while velour, are still very stiff foam compared to my Beyerdynamic DT-990s. Is there any softer foam insert upgrade out there??
-terrypost #695 of 38973/22/13 at 9:18ampost #696 of 38973/22/13 at 12:22pm
Thanks for the help. I have the Valhalla, and a Mjolnir on its way right now, thanks. Also thanks for your tip on the Denon's, I'll look into those as well.
-terrypost #697 of 38973/22/13 at 12:47pmoh man, I just swapped my DT990 pads over to the HE-4. soooo nice and comfortable.post #698 of 38973/22/13 at 11:15pmQuote:
Hmm, I have some spare DT990 pads laying around. How did you go about doing this?post #699 of 38973/23/13 at 8:20amQuote:
I just took off the Hifiman ones, and reused the plastic "hook" type piece of the Hifiman, and mounted the 990 ones on there. It took all of 10 mins, though it was a bit tricky as the 990s are a TINY BIT smaller, but it actually fits and all went back together fine. It makes them loads more comfortable for me. I just ordered another set of beyerdynamic ear pads for my 990s, these are staying on the hifimans....post #700 of 38973/23/13 at 6:59pmpost #701 of 38973/23/13 at 10:16pmpost #702 of 38974/9/13 at 10:26pm
After many months of auditioining different amps to drive my HE-4 I have finally decided to get both - EF-5 & LYR to get the best of HE-4, other alternatives might be something from audio-gd dedicated amps (I was thinking about the one from master series - SA, about 10W @ single ended out) or something SS from AMB labs
EF-5 is extremely detailed, speed of transients, amazing clarity overall, piano sounds the best with it, I have never enjoyed piano so much in my whole life and I have heard plenty combinations, just stunned with realism when listening to Lisitsa or Grimaud (I can also recommend Radiotechnique 12au7wa tube for it but new stock fullmusic 12au7 gold pin is great - just better weight with the Radiotechnique and bass but it's not so cheap these days)
EF-5 just runs out of juice on some recordings (volume level) and might be fatiguing due to lots of details and upper midrange (but very important range for piano) - it is determined by the source
Lyr misses too many informations during smoothing out the sound comparing to EF-5 (and forget about super dooper extra expensive tubes which should change the sound totally - it won't happen, Lyr has its own coloration to the sound and you may like it a lot or not, it's just simple like that) but has amazing bass, raw power when you listen to some rock/metal/gothic music, great weight of the sound, liquid and non fatiguing midrange (vocals especially), one of the best soundstage, depth and transparency I have heard (something similar to wooaudio 6 maxxed out and HD600) + never runs out of juice with HE-4, can kick transducers of HE-4 really hard and there is totally no distortion when you go up with the volume (you have to be careful here beacuse HE-4 becomes more and more engaging with more power and one time music was perfectly hearable from my other room in my appartment and there was still no discomfort due to no distortion on Lyr but it must have been very loud actually)
Just my 2c, personal opinion so you might disagree of course but it might be also very helpful for someone who has no possibility to listen to itpost #703 of 38974/17/13 at 3:29pm
I'm seriously considering picking up a pair of these, but my Asgard is kind of a ways from powering them well. I want to avoid coloration if possible, but I have no idea what solid state amp would be able to drive these without breaking the bank, though admittedly contradicting my last point, the Lyr was sounded pretty good on the pair of HE-500's I demo'd, so maybe I wouldn't mind it as much.
But otherwise, these have gone pretty under the radar amidst the he-400, he-500, and he-6 craze. I greatly value the opinions so far, but anyone else want to pitch in their comparisons to the big boys against these underrepresented cans? Particularly, as high-end rock/metal headphones. (I know Clemmaster has said his piece and thank you!)
In other news, is the Lyr really a bad choice for the HE-6? How could it not be satisfied by a 6 watt amplifier?post #704 of 38974/17/13 at 3:53pmpost #705 of 38974/17/13 at 4:50pm
I have the HE-4 and really dig them. They have a nice thick midrange and a little thump in the low end. Should make nice rock cans. The only issue I have with them is that they are kind of heavy and you can't really do the whole head-bobbing thing without them moving or falling off due to their weight. I changed the stiff velour pads (they really hurt my ears) for some Beyerdynamic velour pads and they are easy to wear the whole day at work. (in a closed office)
I am powering them with Schiit Gungnir/Mjolnir FWIW. I think the Asgard would power them OK. I used a Valhalla before and they weren't well matched, I think the Asgard would match them better (though more power down the line wouldn't hurt) :)
Edited by BokononVolta - 4/17/13 at 4:51pm
- Hifiman HE-4 Impressions Thread
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Ultra-High-End Headphones (Summit-Fi))
- › Toxic Cables - Impressions and Discussion Thread 1 minute ago
- › Three Word Story 1 minute ago
- › NEW! SONY NW-WM1 HI-END DAP 2 minutes ago
- › iFi iDSD Micro DSD512 / PCM768 DAC and Headphone Amp. Impressions,... 3 minutes ago
- › Fostex TH900 Impressions & Discussion Thread 4 minutes ago
- › Need some advice/help on picking between the ATH R70x and the ATH... 4 minutes ago
- › Changing sampling rate in windows 7 is suddenly not doint anything. 5 minutes ago
- › Warm-sounding, cheap studio monitors 7 minutes ago
- › TRINITY - PHANTOM Series - New thread + WORLDS FIRST PUSH PULL... 8 minutes ago
- › Life after Yggdrasil? 8 minutes ago
- › Westone MMCX Bluetooth Cable, 78548 by twister6
- › Ocharaku Co-Donguri IEM by kevingzw
- › Fischer Audio Totem Paco by crabdog
- › Mixcder ShareMe Wireless Bluetooth Headphones,Built in Mic for... by iancraig10
- › Mixcder ANC-G5 Active Noise Cancelling Hi-Fi In-ear Headphones,... by pkshiu
- › Superlux HD-668 B by HiFiChris
- › Meze 99 Classics by HansBarbarossa
- › Cayin i5 by cleg
- › MrSpeakers ETHER C by Delayeed
- › Cable Matters Gold Plated Toslink Digital Optical Audio Cable with... by Gabeh765
- › Flawless Album Suggestions
- › The Audiophile Scene in a Third World Country...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide:...
- › Chord Mojo FAQ
- › Head-Fi Logo Gear
- › All about iPod Touch 6G as digital transport
- › List of major HiFiMan HE1000 reviews,...
- › Can I change my user name? Can I delete my...