Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Hifiman HE-4 Impressions Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Hifiman HE-4 Impressions Thread - Page 40

post #586 of 2718

well...they used offer HE-4/EF5 combo deal which only costs $250 to get the additional EF5. I am not sure if the deal is still available. For $250, it's a no brainer.
 

The mids is sweeter and richer when pairing HE-500 with EF5. this is no surprise since EF5 is a very sweet sounding amp. However, as much as i love my EF5 overall i am afraid that Lyr is still better. It gives HE-500 much better synergy.

another benefit of getting a Lyr is that you will eventually want to get the mighty HE-6. With a LYR uou will have no need to upgrade your amp, at least intially. Trust me that will happen unless you quit head-fi immediately. :-) 

 

To make things more complicated Schiit is going to release two new balanced amps in the next seven or eight months. Although i haven't heard myself, several ppl i trust praised HE-500 when being driven by HM-801 with the new balanced amp module. Now i am very curious how well the HE-500 sounds with a fully balanced amp. :-)

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voohoo View Post

Lyr is also cheaper. Makes me wonder why one would choose the EF5 over it if not only for the good looks. 

 

Hey, blankdisk, since you have the Lyr and EF5, could you give me a quick comparison between the two amps when paired with your HE-500?

Obviously the HE-6 will favor the Lyr, but I'm curious to know if there are significant advantages of using either amp with the more efficient HE-500.

 

There is a high probability that I will have a Lyr this Christmas. And, heck, why not a Bifrost as well while I'm at it? etysmile.gif



 

post #587 of 2718

Cool, thanks a lot for the info!

 

I've never been familiar with this "balanced" stuff, but I just did some quick research but stopped right away because I'm not interested to learn new ways to burn my money.

post #588 of 2718
If I had any issues with the Lyr is that regardless of tubes, the mids were somewhat recessed with every headphone I used. The Lyr didn't exactly pair up perfectly with the HE4 in that the mids are already considered recessed on the HE4, but I still thought they sounded amazing off the Lyr. I'd just find some ridiculously mid rich tubes... for those who are anal about that stuff. I'm not.
post #589 of 2718

i am very happy with my LYR with 6N23P tubes.

post #590 of 2718


Does that bring out the mids?

Quote:
Originally Posted by blankdisc View Post

i am very happy with my LYR with 6N23P tubes.



 

post #591 of 2718

yup. 6N23P strikes a very good balance between bass and mids.

There are better tubes out there (check out the LYR tube rolling thread), but you will have to spend quite a lot money for those NOS tubes. Personally i don't think they worth it.
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawaiiancerveza View Post


Does that bring out the mids?



 



 

post #592 of 2718
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Lust Envy View Post

If I had any issues with the Lyr is that regardless of tubes, the mids were somewhat recessed with every headphone I used. The Lyr didn't exactly pair up perfectly with the HE4 in that the mids are already considered recessed on the HE4, but I still thought they sounded amazing off the Lyr. I'd just find some ridiculously mid rich tubes... for those who are anal about that stuff. I'm not.


Ooo, crucial insight here. Is the Lyr warm? Since it's tube I'm sure it has to be. I think the HE-4 would sound nice a touch of warmth. Slightly recessed mids aren't a big deal to me. My last 2 main headphones were D2000 and Pro 2500, so HE-4 actually has really good mids to me in comparison. 

 



Quote:
Originally Posted by blankdisc View Post

i am very happy with my LYR with 6N23P tubes.


Noted.

 

---------------------------

 

So, after a little bit more listening I have come up with a con with my HE-4!

 

I feel like I always need to turn the pot up a little more when listening with these to get the "full effect." 

Because of this, the headphones become quite aggressive, forward, even piercing. Perhaps this is 'sibilance' that I am experiencing for the first time. 

However, I'm sure this will be tamed and more controlled when paired with a more powerful amp. The music can sometimes feel a little forced onto my ears.

Hopefully when I do upgrade my amp in the future I will experience the same thing that happened when I got an E9 for my Pro 2500:

the 2500 simply output the music so effortlessly. It became liquid and smooth, so pleasant to listen to. I think when a headphone reaches this state of effortlessness is when you know it's properly amped or amped close/at it's 100% potential.

So if the Lyr is going to do this for me, oh man I know I'm going to be in for a treat.

 

post #593 of 2718

Couple days ago I have tried HE-4 with a speaker amp again. Connected to Ref-5 is sounds amazing. It didn't convince me with a speaker amp shortly after I got it but now its seems its well settled. The difference is noticeable. Bigger soundstage, tighter and more impactfull bass and very dynamical now. It sounded very good from the Auditor but the cheap speaker amp makes it sound more lively, more energetic. I have gotten HE-300 two days ago but it doesn't get much head time. This setup is amazing.

post #594 of 2718

Wow the ref 5 is expensive!  12k?!
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by .Sup View Post

Couple days ago I have tried HE-4 with a speaker amp again. Connected to Ref-5 is sounds amazing. It didn't convince me with a speaker amp shortly after I got it but now its seems its well settled. The difference is noticeable. Bigger soundstage, tighter and more impactfull bass and very dynamical now. It sounded very good from the Auditor but the cheap speaker amp makes it sound more lively, more energetic. I have gotten HE-300 two days ago but it doesn't get much head time. This setup is amazing.



 

post #595 of 2718
Quote:
Originally Posted by .Sup View Post

Couple days ago I have tried HE-4 with a speaker amp again. Connected to Ref-5 is sounds amazing. It didn't convince me with a speaker amp shortly after I got it but now its seems its well settled. The difference is noticeable. Bigger soundstage, tighter and more impactfull bass and very dynamical now. It sounded very good from the Auditor but the cheap speaker amp makes it sound more lively, more energetic. I have gotten HE-300 two days ago but it doesn't get much head time. This setup is amazing.



Could you explain how you are listening to your HE-4 with your speaker amp? I've heard of people doing some sort of 'speaker tap' thing but I'm not sure what's involved. I'm pretty interested and want to try it myself.

post #596 of 2718
Quote:
Originally Posted by Voohoo View Post





Could you explain how you are listening to your HE-4 with your speaker amp? I've heard of people doing some sort of 'speaker tap' thing but I'm not sure what's involved. I'm pretty interested and want to try it myself.


Here are some images:http://www.flickr.com/photos/sups_photos/sets/72157626293791523/

 

@hawaiian it was "only" 1k

 

post #597 of 2718

Seriously?  Was I seeing it wrong or is that the normal price?
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by .Sup View Post




Here are some images:http://www.flickr.com/photos/sups_photos/sets/72157626293791523/

 

@hawaiian it was "only" 1k

 



 

post #598 of 2718
Quote:
Originally Posted by .Sup View Post


Here are some images:http://www.flickr.com/photos/sups_photos/sets/72157626293791523/

 

 



Wow, so simple. Did you assemble those cables yourself? And that helped me out A LOT actually. I had an idea but I was just never SURE. Yea, I'm pretty noob sometimes.

Looks like I wont be needing this: http://head-direct.com/Products/?act=detail&id=104#

I've been thinking about making my own cables for a while now anyway. Should be fun!

post #599 of 2718

Here is another image: 5461685517_51613f17b3_b.jpg

 

Yes I made the adapter myself, total cost was around 45€ and I used Viablue connectors and Neutrik 4 pin XLR, Canare Starquad and Cardas silver solder. My amp has 45w of output power per channel. I think the adapter Hifiman sells is for amps that have output greater than 75w per channel, might wan't to check with them to be certain.

post #600 of 2718

I wonder if it will be worth it to try my HE-4 with my old stereo receiver. It's a Kenwood 3090 from like 1978-1980, serves 27wpc. Nothing special, but right now it's just laying around not doing anything.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Hifiman HE-4 Impressions Thread