Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Hifiman HE-4 Impressions Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Hifiman HE-4 Impressions Thread - Page 169

post #2521 of 3036

Anyone have any ideas for slightly modding the he4 to better compliment alpha pads? Pretty sure im just dead set for life with the alcantaras but, ill have alpha pads in a day or two and wanted to toy with them again.

post #2522 of 3036
Quote:
Originally Posted by hemipowered007 View Post
 

Anyone have any ideas for slightly modding the he4 to better compliment alpha pads? Pretty sure im just dead set for life with the alcantaras but, ill have alpha pads in a day or two and wanted to toy with them again.

 

What do you mean by 'to better compliment alpha pad' exactly? You can only do so much, even with Hifiman headphones...

post #2523 of 3036

Gave a listen to both FocusPad and FocusPad-A before shipment (both sold now) and adjusted my evalution of both slightly in the guide.

 

Short version: If you absolutely must to get one of these pads, I find FocusPad-A slightly better soundwise (more linear FR) while I prefer FocusPad comfortwise (a bit less shallow). If you don't feel the need to try these hybrids, I advise to stay away from them. They are not completely bad but they are absolutely not great.


Edited by Ron12 - 7/16/14 at 1:36am
post #2524 of 3036
They did you a solid by prioritizing your order. I ordered before you and I still haven't gotten mine!
post #2525 of 3036
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soundsgoodtome View Post

They did you a solid by prioritizing your order. I ordered before you and I still haven't gotten mine!

 

Yes, because I was disappointed by the FocusPad and therefore they agreed to send me the FocusPad-A for a special price as well instead of letting me ship the FocusPad back for a full refund.

 

Btw, I can tell you that these are the only pads I've attempted to sell so far... I am planning to keep the rest as it's worth it. These are definitely not worth 80USD + shipping investment and therefore have to go.


Edited by Ron12 - 7/16/14 at 2:37am
post #2526 of 3036

http://www.head-fi.org/t/522157/hifiman-he-4-impressions-thread/2505#post_10710986

 

I added photos to my T50rp pad roll, with mini guide... in case anyone is curious.

post #2527 of 3036
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrscotchguy View Post
 

http://www.head-fi.org/t/522157/hifiman-he-4-impressions-thread/2505#post_10710986

 

I added photos to my T50rp pad roll, with mini guide... in case anyone is curious.

 

Thanks a lot... I have already added your link to the HE-4 guide so it should be visible to anyone interested :-)


Edited by Ron12 - 7/17/14 at 8:14am
post #2528 of 3036
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron12 View Post
 

 

Thanks a lot... I have already added your link to the HE-4 guide so it should be visible to anyone interested :-)

Awesome, I appreciate it.  I just did some heavy duty washing (and beating the crap outta) my spare velour pads.  I couldn't believe from one comment a ways back, that it did not affect anything.  My prediction is the comfort will go up drastically, and the sound will have little to no change.  I used a bit of fabric softener to help things out a bit.  So far, the foam has become more pliable and more evenly distributed...

post #2529 of 3036
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrscotchguy View Post
 

Awesome, I appreciate it.  I just did some heavy duty washing (and beating the crap outta) my spare velour pads.  I couldn't believe from one comment a ways back, that it did not affect anything.  My prediction is the comfort will go up drastically, and the sound will have little to no change.  I used a bit of fabric softener to help things out a bit.  So far, the foam has become more pliable and more evenly distributed...

 

Well, I did not WASH them, you know... Just used some hot water and let them dry. But good suggestion!

post #2530 of 3036
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron12 View Post

Well, I did not WASH them, you know... Just used some hot water and let them dry. But good suggestion!

Haha! I didn't realize it was you... I truly wasn't trying to be snarky. evil_smiley.gif

My experience with pad washing is mostly from Grados and HD800s. I had a positive experience with the HD800s, though Grado pads change sounds pretty extreme with the introduction of fabric softener...
Edited by mrscotchguy - 7/17/14 at 6:21pm
post #2531 of 3036

mmmm alpha pads...the alcantaras still kill them, except in comfort, alphas will always win, they are undoubtedly the most comfortable pad ever in history...look it up, its true, science, and stuff... 

post #2532 of 3036
I prefer the Alcantaras over the Alpha Pads, though that's just because I really don't like leather on the skin.
post #2533 of 3036
Stupid question, but how do you remove the pads on the he-4?
post #2534 of 3036
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron12 View Post

Yes, because I was disappointed by the FocusPad and therefore they agreed to send me the FocusPad-A for a special price as well instead of letting me ship the FocusPad back for a full refund.

Btw, I can tell you that these are the only pads I've attempted to sell so far... I am planning to keep the rest as it's worth it. These are definitely not worth 80USD + shipping investment and therefore have to go.
They were $45 shipped.. but ok. I'm testing them on both 4 and 560 so I think I'll keep mine.
post #2535 of 3036
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Lust Envy View Post

I prefer the Alcantaras over the Alpha Pads, though that's just because I really don't like leather on the skin.

That is true, after a bit, they get warm, thats where the alcantaras do win, but, in overall general comfort for me the alphas are just plush pillows on your head. But i can see instances where id prefer the shures for comfort, like right now, when its hot still in this house and the alphas are getting sweaty. Good news is, i can switch from he4 with alcantaras to t50s with alphas now. Best duo of great price/performance beast hps ever in existence.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Hifiman HE-4 Impressions Thread