Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Hifiman HE-4 Impressions Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Hifiman HE-4 Impressions Thread - Page 162

post #2416 of 3025
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soundsgoodtome View Post

There's a short potable balanced cable but it has a 3.5mm termination (not sure what you call a 3.5mm balanced).

 

 

Oh ok.  Thanks.  From their site "Balanced Portable headphone cable with 3.5 mm 4-pin plug. Length 1.5 m / 5 ft".  I thought it was a 4-pin xlr cable like this:

 

 

 

 

 

Are all these removable cables interchangeable with the HE Series (HE-300, 400, 400i, 500, 560)?

 

Thanks!

post #2417 of 3025
Yes they all use the smc connectors
post #2418 of 3025
I'd honestly just re terminate the stock he 4 cable. I have a neutrik for should be here Tuesday I can take pics and send them to you if you want. The neutrik is like 8.50 shipped. Problem solved. And if you ever need to go se you can just use the short portable cable they send with the he4
post #2419 of 3025
You can't use the short cable unless your source is 3.5mm 4- contact balanced.

You could however go with a 4 pin female xlr to the se end you just hacked off to make a balanced to single ended adapter.
Quote:
Originally Posted by hemipowered007 View Post

I'd honestly just re terminate the stock he 4 cable. I have a neutrik for should be here Tuesday I can take pics and send them to you if you want. The neutrik is like 8.50 shipped. Problem solved. And if you ever need to go se you can just use the short portable cable they send with the he4
post #2420 of 3025
Quote:
Originally Posted by hemipowered007 View Post

I'd honestly just re terminate the stock he 4 cable. I have a neutrik for should be here Tuesday I can take pics and send them to you if you want. The neutrik is like 8.50 shipped. Problem solved. And if you ever need to go se you can just use the short portable cable they send with the he4

 

 

Thanks!

 

So, you are going to terminate the stock 10ft cable with a 4-pin xlr and that still leaves the 5ft. mini cable that's included to go SE.  Good plan indeed!

 

EDIT: caught Sounds... post.  Ok, the 5ft cable is to be used with a balanced portable amp that uses the small connector.

 

Thanks


Edited by HeatFan12 - 7/6/14 at 10:57pm
post #2421 of 3025
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soundsgoodtome View Post

There's a short potable balanced cable but it has a 3.5mm termination (not sure what you call a 3.5mm balanced).

it's like a TRRS Tip ring ring sleeve and it's 2.5mm, which has 4 connections for +- L R it's a stupid small little thing look it up, the standared 3.5m is TRS 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by hemipowered007 View Post

I wouldnt get the one from eBay, mines falling apart already and its super stiff

and there's my point, ITS A CHEAP CABLE from eBAY yea...

 

I mentioned Brian at BTG might be able to do a 5 foot, Canare balanced hifiman connectors for $85 shipped... might, I don't see why he couldn't. And Brians here in the States [faster shipping] and the man does wonderful work

 

there is also the DIY guys who will build a cable for u at cost, just cuz they like doing it... 2 options that should be cheaper than or the same cost of the eBay cable and both options should be built better than the eBay cable, since Brian and one of the friendly and experinced DIY guys take a little more pride in what they make seeing as... they are "local" in a sense

 

also how about this? http://www.ebay.com/itm/6-Foot-Custom-HifiMan-Balanced-Headphone-Cable-4-Pin-Neutrik-XLR-Connector-/111395985969?pt=US_Headphones&hash=item19efb7da31

 

$59 with shipping... not sure where he got it but it's got a Nerutick jack, looks like it's sleeved in something that isn't standard Canare... and he's got like 187 feed back, which means it's possible he paid more for the cable than what he is selling it for... I'd at least ask him where he got it, and who built it. You might get lucky and get a decent cable for less. But do ask [actually I'm asking now my self xD since im curious] 

post #2422 of 3025
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mshenay View Post

it's like a TRRS Tip ring ring sleeve and it's 2.5mm, which has 4 connections for +- L R it's a stupid small little thing look it up, the standared 3.5m is TRS 

and there's my point, ITS A CHEAP CABLE from eBAY yea...

I mentioned Brian at BTG might be able to do a 5 foot, Canare balanced hifiman connectors for $85 shipped... might, I don't see why he couldn't. And Brians here in the States [faster shipping] and the man does wonderful work

there is also the DIY guys who will build a cable for u at cost, just cuz they like doing it... 2 options that should be cheaper than or the same cost of the eBay cable and both options should be built better than the eBay cable, since Brian and one of the friendly and experinced DIY guys take a little more pride in what they make seeing as... they are "local" in a sense

also how about this? http://www.ebay.com/itm/6-Foot-Custom-HifiMan-Balanced-Headphone-Cable-4-Pin-Neutrik-XLR-Connector-/111395985969?pt=US_Headphones&hash=item19efb7da31

$59 with shipping... not sure where he got it but it's got a Nerutick jack, looks like it's sleeved in something that isn't standard Canare... and he's got like 187 feed back, which means it's possible he paid more for the cable than what he is selling it for... I'd at least ask him where he got it, and who built it. You might get lucky and get a decent cable for less. But do ask [actually I'm asking now my self xD since im curious] 

Pretty good price.
Edited by bassboysam - 7/7/14 at 4:08am
post #2423 of 3025
http://www.ebay.com/itm/HIFIMAN-HE-5-HE-6-HE-300-HE-400-HE-500-Flat-braid-Headphone-Cable-Upgrade-Cable-/111219544626?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&var=&hash=item19e5339232

I have two different cables from this seller... though non have been balanced. I'm pretty sure they finally offer that as an option since I pestered them for the last year about it!

Gread quality... only compliant most will have with it is microphonics. It's not terrible if you don't dance around alot biggrin.gif
post #2424 of 3025
HE-4 out for delivery with UPS today. Hopefully it will be at home when I get there this evening. smily_headphones1.gif Lookinf forward to trying these out.
post #2425 of 3025

Can a Schiit asgard drive these properly?

post #2426 of 3025
Quote:
Originally Posted by bassboysam View Post

HE-4 out for delivery with UPS today. Hopefully it will be at home when I get there this evening. smily_headphones1.gif Lookinf forward to trying these out.

Awesome. I will worn you, there was huge noticeable burn in with these. I'm not normally the type to believe in some of the somewhat taboo topics on Headfi, but mine sounded dreadful out of the box. It took about 10 hours or so to have a natural, effortless sound. Of course, ymmv
post #2427 of 3025
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrscotchguy View Post



Awesome. I will worn you, there was huge noticeable burn in with these. I'm not normally the type to believe in some of the somewhat taboo topics on Headfi, but mine sounded dreadful out of the box. It took about 10 hours or so to have a natural, effortless sound. Of course, ymmv

 



well they are not new, I refuse to purchase new headphones when I can get perfectly good ones at a much cheaper price, so these have about 300 hours on them. Having said that it took my brain a few hours to adjust to the LCD-2s (also had purchased used), at first i felt very underwhelmed by them. It took about 10-20 hours for my brain to know what to listen for. I will be patiend with the HE-4 for sure.
post #2428 of 3025

So I've spent and hour with my "new" HE-4s.  First impressions, I was surprised at how light they are.  Much more comfortable to wear than the HE-400.  As for the sound the first thing I noticed was the openess and the air, very similar to my ATH-AD2000X in this regard.  I certainly don't find these headphones bright, using a Fiio E10 as a DAC and an LD1+.  I also tried it with the E10 and WA6 and still found the sound not to be bright at all.  I don't hear any sibilance but at the same time I am not very sensitive to it i don't think.

 

The bass is quite nice, doesn't have the impact of the LCD-2 but it goes just as deep just with less body and rumble.  This is all with the stock velour pads too.

 

As far as amping goes, both the WA6 and LD1+ had no problems driving them to a good listening level.  The WA6 didn't quite have as much steam as the LD1+ but the sound is a bit sweeter with the WA6 and the bass is punchier.  Once I get a balanced cable I will give them a try with the Fiio A1 speaker amp.

 

Midrange is very nice too, a little laid back but I like that.  Most of my listening is rock and metal with some hip-hop and I hate when the snare is too upfront and in your face.  The HE-4 produce enough attack in the mids to not be boring while not being painful too.  vocals are a little less present too, but for me that is also a good thing.

 

Overall I am quite happy with these, I was worried about comfort and the treble, but both have proven to not be an issue.  I think these will make a great compliment to my LCD-2 and the rest of my collection.


Edited by bassboysam - 7/7/14 at 4:24pm
post #2429 of 3025
Quote:
Originally Posted by bassboysam View Post
 

So I've spent and hour with my "new" HE-4s.  First impressions, I was surprised at how light they are.  Much more comfortable to wear than the HE-400.  As for the sound the first thing I noticed was the openess and the air, very similar to my ATH-AD2000X in this regard.  I certainly don't find these headphones bright, using a Fiio E10 as a DAC and an LD1+.  I also tried it with the E10 and WA6 and still found the sound not to be bright at all.  I don't hear any sibilance but at the same time I am not very sensitive to it i don't think.

 

The bass is quite nice, doesn't have the impact of the LCD-2 but it goes just as deep just with less body and rumble.  This is all with the stock velour pads too.

 

As far as amping goes, both the WA6 and LD1+ had no problems driving them to a good listening level.  The WA6 didn't quite have as much steam as the LD1+ but the sound is a bit sweeter with the WA6 and the bass is punchier.  Once I get a balanced cable I will give them a try with the Fiio A1 speaker amp.

 

Midrange is very nice too, a little laid back but I like that.  Most of my listening is rock and metal with some hip-hop and I hate when the snare is too upfront and in your face.  The HE-4 produce enough attack in the mids to not be boring while not being painful too.  vocals are a little less present too, but for me that is also a good thing.

 

Overall I am quite happy with these, I was worried about comfort and the treble, but both have proven to not be an issue.  I think these will make a great compliment to my LCD-2 and the rest of my collection.

Do you have a Fazor LCD 2 or a pre Fazor? Also the Beyer Velour Pads have a nice bass presentation to them, that and if you get a more powerful amp or rather you go with a powerful solid state the bass get's pretty nice! 

 

I don't know if I mentioned it but, the LCD 2 Fazor for me didn't have a tight enough bass, it was too loose, to much body, The HE 4 how ever had a much more aggressive an taught bass... although I agree with you on the mids, the LCD 2 was very good for Rock, it was so so with some vocals, some vocals I loved the LCD 2 some vocals I hated... but I think the two can compliement each other nicely :3

post #2430 of 3025

I have a rev1 LCD-2 so waaaay pre-Fazor :) 

 

Once I get a balanced cable i'll try the HE-4 with A1 speaker amp.  Yes the LCD-2 is looser than the HE-4 but I enjoy both presentations. 

 

I really don't get all the bright comments though.  I don't find the HE-4 bright at all.  My wife even commented on how warm the sounded to her.  and she is very sensitive to treble.  Maybe it's because they have a lot of hours on them, 300+? 

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Hifiman HE-4 Impressions Thread