Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Hifiman HE-4 Impressions Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Hifiman HE-4 Impressions Thread - Page 160

post #2386 of 3188
I would say yes. The he4 aren't as refined as say an hd800 or he560 which could benefit on a ultra transparent, hear all the details dac. So with that in mind and the preference of warmth to the he4's bright nature, I would say yes.

Did you mean higher costing DAC? Value wise the "lower end" AudioGd is tough to beat.
post #2387 of 3188
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soundsgoodtome View Post

I would say yes. The he4 aren't as refined as say an hd800 or he560 which could benefit on a ultra transparent, hear all the details dac. So with that in mind and the preference of warmth to the he4's bright nature, I would say yes.

Did you mean higher costing DAC? Value wise the "lower end" AudioGd is tough to beat.

Yes, I should have said price or cost.

But anyways, I think im done expending for at least a year (fingers crossed).
Im guessing that a considerable upgrade to the HE4 and the NFB15 would be really really expensive.
post #2388 of 3188
I have an HE-4 on the way, do you guys think the Fiio A1 (14 watts @ 8 ohms per channel) be sufficient to ppwer them? I also have an LD1+ and a WA6.
post #2389 of 3188
Quote:
Originally Posted by bassboysam View Post

I have an HE-4 on the way, do you guys think the Fiio A1 (14 watts @ 8 ohms per channel) be sufficient to ppwer them? I also have an LD1+ and a WA6.

I asked on another topic for the same, but it wasn't really recommended since the A1 its an speaker amp and you would need a balanced cable wired to speaker taps, i decided it was not worth the effort.

post #2390 of 3188
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soundsgoodtome View Post

I would say yes. The he4 aren't as refined as say an hd800 or he560 which could benefit on a ultra transparent, hear all the details dac. So with that in mind and the preference of warmth to the he4's bright nature, I would say yes.

Did you mean higher costing DAC? Value wise the "lower end" AudioGd is tough to beat.

YUP

 

for the cost, the Audio GD Amps are top notch, there's nothing at the price range of an Audio GD that has the quality that it does... and well King Wa is a mad scientist in a country with... inexpensive tech. So he finds the good stuff [which he gets for a good price since you know] and then EVERY ONE benifits! 

 

My point is GET IT 

post #2391 of 3188

Hi everyone. Unfortunately due to headphones causing my hair to thin (right where the headphone band rests) due to the fact I use them anywhere from 2 hours to 12 hours a day depending if it is a weekday, weekend etc, I am switching to my UM3X IEMs for those times. I have confirmed it is headphones as it has happened with my DT880 as well and I have got a hair cut, just used IEMs for a month and my hair is fine. If I go back to headphones, the problem persists. However, I don't want to ditch headphones all together and am going to set up my turntable next to me on another desk with a headphone setup. As I will only be using this a few hours a week, I don't want to have a heap of cash invested into it. As a result, I am trying to downgrade my gear and put that money back into other hobbies. I am thinking of going from LCD-2 rev 2.2 (for sale) to HE-4 for the headphones. Basically from this, from a sound perspective, I would like a more engaging headphone. Since I listen to 80% rock and 20% metal, I definitely prefer more bass impact and speed over bass detail etc. I'm not too fussed about soundstage. There are songs where I prefer a smaller soundstage, some where I would like a larger one, so no one headphone will do it for me, but I just easily live with that fact :) Do you think the HE-4 will be the right headphone for me? Will it impress me every time I put them on? The LCD-2 never really did this after a while due to lack of engagement and the fact I don't listen at too high volumes. I have had Grado's and I'm not going there again (many reasons). HE-300, HE-400 and HE-500 don't sound like they would suit me (I have spent many hours already reading comparisons). 

 

My proper listening, where I need high quality and an engaging sound, will be with the turntable. This is only something I do a few hours a week and vastly prefer to change LPs over clicking on a next track. It makes the experience so much better. I am going to of course spend many hours researching (as I always do), but does anyone here have any quick suggestions for amplifiers before I read hundreds of posts trying to hunt down a few? I have the Little Dot MKVI+ currently. Would it be wise to keep it or change to something else? Like the EF-5, for example. 

 

I will downgrade from my Buffalo II 32 bit balanced DAC to something the likes of the Schiit Modi, since I will use my single ended M^3 with it and also don't need insanely good audio quality for gaming and casual music listening at the computer. 

 

Lastly, why are there never any HE-4's for sale in the for sale section? Do people love them that much or do not that many people actually own them? 

 

Thanks!

post #2392 of 3188
Quote:
Originally Posted by escobar090 View Post

I asked on another topic for the same, but it wasn't really recommended since the A1 its an speaker amp and you would need a balanced cable wired to speaker taps, i decided it was not worth the effort.

I already have the cables, I use the A1 with my LCD-2 but the LCD-2 are more efficient than the HE-4.
post #2393 of 3188
MUCH, MUCH more efficient. The LCD2 sounds fantastic off basically any thing you hook it up to. The HE4...does not. It requires synergy, and arguably, something with good power (not gonna debate this again).
post #2394 of 3188
Fair enough. My question is just around the power. What is considered enought. The A1 delivers 14 watts at 8 ohms per channel. I realize the sound may not be ideal so if I'm looking at amps how much output power should I be aiming for?
post #2395 of 3188
Quote:
Originally Posted by bassboysam View Post

Fair enough. My question is just around the power. What is considered enought. The A1 delivers 14 watts at 8 ohms per channel. I realize the sound may not be ideal so if I'm looking at amps how much output power should I be aiming for?

 

I can tell you that the HE-4 sounds good out of my smartphone which is quite on the warmer side of neutral. They sound better out of my Yulong DA8, especially in balanced mode... But not as much to imply that HE-4 needs tons of power - just smoother sound, with more expansive and defined soundstage and a bit more detail out of the DA8. HE-4 have single-ended drivers... They could theoretically sound a little better with even more power but I suspect it's more about tonal synergy. At least this is my experience.

post #2396 of 3188
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron12 View Post

I can tell you that the HE-4 sounds good out of my smartphone which is quite on the warmer side of neutral. They sound better out of my Yulong DA8, especially in balanced mode... But not as much to imply that HE-4 needs tons of power - just smoother sound, with more expansive and defined soundstage and a bit more detail out of the DA8. HE-4 have single-ended drivers... They could theoretically sound a little better with even more power but I suspect it's more about tonal synergy. At least this is my experience.

I can attest to this. I can run my HE-4 directly from portable sources (iPad, phone, laptop) with a measure of decent sound, especially with the included portable cable. Where you start noticing just how great the HE-4 can sound is by just how well it scales. Synergy vs Flavor is the balance to look at here. When I want head-rattling bass, I hook it unto my PS Audio SS amp. But what sounds the best to my ear, while I lose quite a bit of impact, the warmth of my EF-5 just makes this headphone just a joy to listen to. I think a good is about the only thing I a missing in this equation.
post #2397 of 3188

Btw, me and two other people were testing the HE-4 vs K712 Pro yesterday, using my Asus Fonepad smartphone... And we all agreed that HE-4 is the better headphone ouf ot these two. Two of us felt that HE-4 is significantly better (like a level above), the other friend thought it's just a bit better (he especially enjoyed bass of HE-4 more).

 

-----------------------

 

On Yulong DA8, the difference is noticable even more than on Asus Fonepad because HE-4 scales higher than K712 Pro... HE-4 sounds more clean and defined with every upgrade I make. It even responds very well to DSD vs PCM playback while K712 Pro are only slightly better on DA8 in comparison to Fonepad. But, and I cannot stress this enough, both K712 Pro and HE-4 are already fast and tight-sounding enough on the Fonepad... So it's not about feeding them with terawatts of power! It's just about scalability and synergy. HE-4 just scales better with quality of signal, not uberpower!


Edited by Ron12 - 7/5/14 at 7:00am
post #2398 of 3188
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron12 View Post
 

Btw, me and two other people were testing the HE-4 vs K712 Pro yesterday, using my Asus Fonepad smartphone... And we all agreed that HE-4 is the better headphone ouf ot these two. Two of us felt that HE-4 is significantly better (like a level above), the other friend thought it's just a bit better (he especially enjoyed bass of HE-4 more).

 

-----------------------

 

On Yulong DA8, the difference is noticable even more than on Asus Fonepad because HE-4 scales higher than K712 Pro... HE-4 sounds more clean and defined with every upgrade I make. It even responds very well to DSD vs PCM playback while K712 Pro are only slightly better on DA8 in comparison to Fonepad. But, and I cannot stress this enough, both K712 Pro and HE-4 are already fast and tight-sounding enough on the Fonepad... So it's not about feeding them with terawatts of power! It's just about scalability and synergy. HE-4 just scales better with quality of signal, not uberpower!

and what we have noticed, is that uber powered amps tend to have a better quality over amps with less powering, for example. It's commnly accecpted that balanced amplifiers sound better than those non balanced, even Jason of Schiit attested to this, it's also noted that a balanced amp can offera bout 2-3x the power as a non balanaced amp can due to it's design

 

so that trend has been... reliable. Generally, more powerful amps often sound a little cleaner due to their design.

 

This is not a ONE SIZE FITS all rule but a trend we have noticed 

 

and yes the HE 4 is a killer can ;3

post #2399 of 3188

who wants to help me figure out these damn male smc conncectors. Have some to put on incoming t50s and my shures, and no idea how to solder them without the connections touching. Im talking about the ones on the hifiman cup themselves, tried looking at how its done on the he4, but dont see how to do it without + and - being close to touching

post #2400 of 3188
solder ground to the outside of the internal connector.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Hifiman HE-4 Impressions Thread