Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Hifiman HE-4 Impressions Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Hifiman HE-4 Impressions Thread - Page 131

post #1951 of 3304

One thing I never understood, when a company puts the wattage rating are they talking about per channel or in total? It seems to be mixed from what people are saying... For example the Aune would have .5wpc? 

post #1952 of 3304
Pretty sure those specs are per channel.
post #1953 of 3304

The Aune T1 is known for being pretty colored (syrupy, if you will), though I haven't ever listened to it myself. I would definitely recommend trying some other amps though. I really like the DT880 and the HE-4 but the HE-4 definitely comes out on top for me in the end.

post #1954 of 3304
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thujone View Post

The Aune T1 is known for being pretty colored (syrupy, if you will), though I haven't ever listened to it myself. I would definitely recommend trying some other amps though. I really like the DT880 and the HE-4 but the HE-4 definitely comes out on top for me in the end.

I can agree with that, but it's certainly easier to get the 250ohm DT880 to perform top notch, which easily can out classes a sub par HE-4 setup. At a mini meet I hosted, the best (synergetic may be more accurate) setup was a DT880 driven by a 10yr old portable amp. There were many great setups, but unanimously, we were all shocked by the combo. I would love to hear my HE-4s at their full potential one day...
post #1955 of 3304
I don't know if I should sell both Aune T1 and DT880 to fund some money for a better amp or if I should stick with the DT880, sell the HE-4 to get my money back and be done.
post #1956 of 3304
Quote:
Originally Posted by rodweb View Post

I don't know if I should sell both Aune T1 and DT880 to fund some money for a better amp or if I should stick with the DT880, sell the HE-4 to get my money back and be done.


You'd probably achieve better results from DT880 by taking advantage of Aunes line out to a dedicated amp. I own 250ohm DT880 and IMO the Aune doesn't drive them to desirable levels 'properly', it works but I achieve better results feeding JDS C421 in high gain from Aune T1's line out.


Edited by H20Fidelity - 5/2/14 at 3:56am
post #1957 of 3304
Quote:
Originally Posted by H20Fidelity View Post


You'd probably achieve better results from DT880 by taking advantage of Aunes line out to a dedicated amp. I own 250ohm DT880 and IMO the Aune doesn't drive them to desirable levels 'properly', it works but I achieve better results feeding JDS C421 in high gain from Aunes T1's line out.

Yeah, maybe you're right. I just don't like the idea of spending more on amping than on the headphones itself.
post #1958 of 3304
Quote:
Originally Posted by rodweb View Post


Yeah, maybe you're right. I just don't like the idea of spending more on amping than on the headphones itself.


I was thinking of trying Magni, although I worry it may be a downgrade from JDS C421. (which is giving good results)

I will probably try anyway. 

Sorry for slightly drifting off topic guys! 

post #1959 of 3304
@Mad Lust Envy, which amps have tested with the HE-4 and what improvements have you notice with each one?
post #1960 of 3304
Just an interesting find: I have been using HE-4 for movies and games for the past couple of months and not long ago I have listened to some music using the same setup and it sounded surprisingly good. Even more surprising is that the HE-4 are powered by Samson Meteor microphone that also has an internal DAC.
Sure its obvious the HE-4 are lacking for example bass impact but the sound is so sweet and dynamic, very enjoyable. I have once taken the Starving Student tube amp, ODAC and iPad as source along with HE-4 to vacation and it wasn't as nearly as enjoyable as this cheap and simple setup. smily_headphones1.gif
post #1961 of 3304

Lacking bass impact? Wut? They must not have enough power.

post #1962 of 3304

Power => volume

 

Power =/=> bass impact, bass quantity, better sound, airier treble, soundstage, sound sig, the answer to every piece of criticism.

post #1963 of 3304
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rinx7 View Post

Lacking bass impact? Wut? They must not have enough power.
Yep, not enough power but it doesn't clip and the sound is really nice.
post #1964 of 3304
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thujone View Post
 

Power => volume

 

Power =/=> bass impact, bass quantity, better sound, airier treble, soundstage, sound sig, the answer to every piece of criticism.

We can't beat them lol.

post #1965 of 3304
Quote:
Originally Posted by rodweb View Post
 

We can't beat them lol.

 

Seriously... I shouldn't even bother.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Hifiman HE-4 Impressions Thread