- 2,198 Posts. Joined 5/2008
- Location: Bolingbrook, IL
- Select All Posts By This User
Recent Images In This Thread
- productHE-5LEtagged by System, 12/15/11
- categoryHeadphonestagged by System, 11/10/10
- brandHiFiMANtagged by System, 11/10/10
- productHiFiMAN HE-4tagged by System, 2/2/11
- productHiFiMAN HE-5tagged by System, 8/15/11
- productHiFiMAN HE-6 Planar Headphonetagged by System, 7/19/11
- categoryOver Eartagged by System, 11/10/10
Related Forum Threads
- HE-4 vs. HE-5LE Last post on 2/20/14 at 3:12pm in Introductions, Help and Recommendations
- HiFiMan Introduces New HE-500 Planar Magnetic Headphones Last post on 3/16/13 at 7:43pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Hifiman HE-4/5/6 vs Fischer FA-003? Last post on 3/11/11 at 6:36am in Headphones (full-size)
- Whatever happened to the HiFiMan dynamic headphone? Last post on 8/1/11 at 7:00am in Headphones (full-size)
- HiFiMAN HE-4 vs. HIFIMAN HE-400 Last post on 12/9/13 at 7:23pm in Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
Last edited: 1/18/16
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Ultra-High-End Headphones (Summit-Fi))Last edited: 12/4/15
- Headphone ImpedanceLast edited: 8/18/12
- Buying Guide Headphones By Price RangeLast edited: 10/26/12
- A Hopefully Helpful Headphone Buying Guide For Newbies By BoomanaLast edited: 1/6/13
Background It’s safe to say that Massdrop has played a decent role in both introducing new products to the headphone community while highlighting others through their group-purchase...
Introduction – The original d900 from Syllable made quite a splash when it first arrived on the market. It was one of the very first fully wireless earphones ever produced. Furthermore, it was...
The Fiio E12A Mont Blanc portable headphone amplifier is a great amp for IEM's and earbuds. The sound signature is slightly on the warm side, and presents a much fuller sound and wider...
**Disclaimer: I received the M3 from FiiO in return for my honest review** I have been watching FiiO's product line-up for quite some time. I've played with the X1 DAP owned by a friend and...
At the time this review was written the iBasso D14 Bushmaster DAC/Amplifier was for sale on Penon Audio’s website. Here is a link to iBasso’s product page display, and also a listing on Penon...
Hifiman HE-4 Impressions Thread - Page 126post #1876 of 38784/10/14 at 1:19pmYou people Are crazy. Pick up a speaker amp at goodwill for ten bucks and run your he4 with entry of power.
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #1877 of 38784/10/14 at 1:44pmpost #1878 of 38784/10/14 at 2:02pmpost #1879 of 38784/10/14 at 2:17pmpost #1880 of 38784/10/14 at 4:00pm
Honestly, imo if your going to buy the HE 4, or rather pay for it
at least have a decent amp to go with it
heck for what $360 you can buy a new DT 880 and Schiit Vali, which will sound as good if not better than a HE 4 under driven
I mean I had the DT 880 and I found the Sub bass it had with the Vali was AWESOME, and imo the dt 880 out of the vali sounds better than the HE 4 out of my friends random speaker amp... I tested it right before I shipped my dt 880 outpost #1881 of 38784/10/14 at 7:31pm
I have no problem with the idea "you need a great quality amp over a poor quality amp". I have a problem with "you need an amp with more power over a 'low' powered amp". The latter is utterly false, which is the point I've been trying to get across.post #1882 of 38784/10/14 at 8:24pmpost #1883 of 38784/10/14 at 8:25pmI'm wondering just how much you're missing by running the HE-4 off such a weak amp. The loss in dynamics and authority must be pretty significant. Just going back what I heard with the E9 which is powerful 'enough' for the HE-4 and how utterly lacking it was when compared to the Lyr and SA-31. I say this being a big fan of the E9 and how good it sounds with most headphones (even those with impedance too low for the 1/8th rule). The HE-4 sounded positively strained off the E9.
But if you wanna argue the numerical data, then I guess it falls on deaf ears. Pun not intended.
Must be all that O2 blindness. I've seen so many disappointing impressions on how well the O2 sounds off certain headphones.... yet, people still argue it's all you'll ever need.
If it's a matter of the HE-4 scaling, then surely those who pair it with such weak amps must REALLY be missing out on the HE-4's potential.
Edited by Mad Lust Envy - 4/10/14 at 8:29pmpost #1884 of 38784/10/14 at 8:38pmpost #1885 of 38784/10/14 at 8:40pmYou're not missing much on the mids and highs, the bass however is incredibly lacking. To me it's like a finely built sports car with an excellent suspension that can take corners well and an engine that has a lot of midrange torque as well as a great hp peak. Only thing is you put cheap gas and it still handles great and can still go fast but the acceleration and mid range torque lessens by a noticeable difference. Still a great car but you took away all of what it can give with cheap gas.post #1886 of 38784/10/14 at 8:41pmConsidering how I have compared the E9 to the SA-31 directly (since they're both SS amps) with other headphones, they all still sounded somewhat similar, including those notorious for scaling (HD650, Q701). The HE-4 was a completely different beast, in that well, it didn't sound all too good off the E9. No headphone has ever sounded so strained like the HE-4 did to me off the E9 which is a great amp for the price.
But sure... it's just all about quality.
Edited by Mad Lust Envy - 4/10/14 at 8:43pmpost #1887 of 38784/11/14 at 4:33amThe lack of bass punch does not have anything to do with power output, it's just the Vali's sig. I do like the analogy though
What amps you like and what amps you didn't like, it's beside the point. Every single amp will have to fuel the exact same amount of power to attain to a certain SPL on a specific headphone. None of the overhead power is used, ever, unless you turn up the volume even more.
I really don't know how I can better explain this concept…
Edited by Thujone - 4/11/14 at 5:11ampost #1888 of 38784/11/14 at 4:56amThe bass was the same to slightly similar when comparing the q701, and 668b between the Vali and Audio-GD (single ended 1200mW). Unfortunately the only balanced in my possession was the he4 so no comparison were made with those models above with the balanced output of the Audio-GD v Vali.
Maybe hemi can chime in with his newly acquired amp if the he4 sounds the same out of the AUDIO-GD with 1200mW se and 9w balanced.post #1889 of 38784/11/14 at 5:08am
Oh damn! I didn't realize the balanced output had 9W when the SE is 1.2W. I'm guessing that there are three different amp architectures then? One for the SE and two for the balanced? Either way I imagine that you aren't using any of the same circuitry, so it's essentially two different amps. Then again I'm not up to par on my amp architecture knowledge
- Hifiman HE-4 Impressions Thread
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Ultra-High-End Headphones (Summit-Fi))
- › Fostex x Massdrop TH-X00 Review 44 seconds ago
- › SONY NW-ZX2 HI-END DAP 50 seconds ago
- › Earbuds Round-Up 1 minute ago
- › Chord Mojo - The Official Thread .☆*¨*★. Please READ the 3rd... 4 minutes ago
- › Watches - another passion of ours, it seems...post your pics! 5 minutes ago
- › Pioneer's First Hi-End Headphones: SE-Master 1 7 minutes ago
- › Neutron vs Poweramp 9 minutes ago
- › New Kennerton ODIN (Planar Magnetic), MAGISTER, VALI... 11 minutes ago
- › Shanling M2 DAP 12 minutes ago
- › The Journey 12 minutes ago
- › AKG K7XX by Aornic
- › SYLLABLE D900S Mini Wireless Bluetooth Earphone Waterproof... by ryanjsoo
- › FiiO E12A Mont Blanc Portable Headphone Amplifier for IEM Special... by Tayyab Pirzada
- › FiiO M3 - Digital Portable Music Player by Levistras
- › iBasso Audio D14 "Bushmaster" by Hisoundfi
- › XDuoo X3 DSD 24Bit / 192KHz CS4398 Chip Lossless Music Player by David Thomson
- › Audio-Technica ATH-A900LTD by Heepaholic
- › Sennheiser HD 800 Headphones by Jeremypsp
- › Fidue A91 Sirius by twister6
- › LZ-A2S by peter123
- › Flawless Album Suggestions
- › The Audiophile Scene in a Third World Country...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide:...
- › Chord Mojo FAQ
- › Head-Fi Logo Gear
- › All about iPod Touch 6G as digital transport
- › List of major HiFiMan HE1000 reviews,...
- › Can I change my user name? Can I delete my...