- 1,752 Posts. Joined 5/2008
- Location: Bolingbrook, IL
- Select All Posts By This User
Recent Images In This Thread
- productHE-5LEtagged by System, 12/15/11
- categoryHeadphonestagged by System, 11/10/10
- brandHiFiMANtagged by System, 11/10/10
- productHiFiMAN HE-4tagged by System, 2/2/11
- productHiFiMAN HE-5tagged by System, 8/15/11
- productHiFiMAN HE-6 Planar Headphonetagged by System, 7/19/11
- categoryOver Eartagged by System, 11/10/10
Related Forum Threads
- HE-4 vs. HE-5LE Last post on 2/20/14 at 3:12pm in Introductions, Help and Recommendations
- HiFiMan Introduces New HE-500 Planar Magnetic Headphones Last post on 3/16/13 at 7:43pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Hifiman HE-4/5/6 vs Fischer FA-003? Last post on 3/11/11 at 6:36am in Headphones (full-size)
- Whatever happened to the HiFiMan dynamic headphone? Last post on 8/1/11 at 7:00am in Headphones (full-size)
- HiFiMAN HE-4 vs. HIFIMAN HE-400 Last post on 12/9/13 at 7:23pm in Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
Last edited: 7/25/14
- Headphone ImpedanceLast edited: 8/18/12
- Buying Guide Headphones By Price RangeLast edited: 10/26/12
- A Hopefully Helpful Headphone Buying Guide For Newbies By BoomanaLast edited: 1/6/13
I want to start by saying thanks to Brainwavz for making this near excellent phone and Selsera for sending me a sample unit . And about Brainwavz , its around for nearly 7-8 years and has...
RockJaw is an up and coming headphone company from Great Britain starting strong with a huge lineup. The Alfa Genus is one of their midrange offerings and offers a certain special something that is...
Bought the active noise cancelling version of these as a daily deal on Amazon for <$20. Active noise cancelling completely broken on both my original unit and the replacement - so on one hand...
Thanks to Oppo Digital Japan for allowing us to borrow the PM-1 and HA-1. Oppo coming out with a pair of headphones was quite a surprised, especially a pair of planars. Likewise the HA-1,...
A decade ago; I had bought into the crappy Logitech Bluetooth devices which I swore NEVER to buy again deeming it a bad technology. Ten years later; I now needed an in wireless in-ear device for...
Hifiman HE-4 Impressions Thread - Page 126post #1876 of 25924/10/14 at 1:19pmYou people Are crazy. Pick up a speaker amp at goodwill for ten bucks and run your he4 with entry of power.
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #1877 of 25924/10/14 at 1:44pmpost #1878 of 25924/10/14 at 2:02pmpost #1879 of 25924/10/14 at 2:17pmpost #1880 of 25924/10/14 at 4:00pm
Honestly, imo if your going to buy the HE 4, or rather pay for it
at least have a decent amp to go with it
heck for what $360 you can buy a new DT 880 and Schiit Vali, which will sound as good if not better than a HE 4 under driven
I mean I had the DT 880 and I found the Sub bass it had with the Vali was AWESOME, and imo the dt 880 out of the vali sounds better than the HE 4 out of my friends random speaker amp... I tested it right before I shipped my dt 880 outpost #1881 of 25924/10/14 at 7:31pm
I have no problem with the idea "you need a great quality amp over a poor quality amp". I have a problem with "you need an amp with more power over a 'low' powered amp". The latter is utterly false, which is the point I've been trying to get across.post #1882 of 25924/10/14 at 8:24pmpost #1883 of 25924/10/14 at 8:25pmI'm wondering just how much you're missing by running the HE-4 off such a weak amp. The loss in dynamics and authority must be pretty significant. Just going back what I heard with the E9 which is powerful 'enough' for the HE-4 and how utterly lacking it was when compared to the Lyr and SA-31. I say this being a big fan of the E9 and how good it sounds with most headphones (even those with impedance too low for the 1/8th rule). The HE-4 sounded positively strained off the E9.
But if you wanna argue the numerical data, then I guess it falls on deaf ears. Pun not intended.
Must be all that O2 blindness. I've seen so many disappointing impressions on how well the O2 sounds off certain headphones.... yet, people still argue it's all you'll ever need.
If it's a matter of the HE-4 scaling, then surely those who pair it with such weak amps must REALLY be missing out on the HE-4's potential.
Edited by Mad Lust Envy - 4/10/14 at 8:29pmpost #1884 of 25924/10/14 at 8:38pmpost #1885 of 25924/10/14 at 8:40pmYou're not missing much on the mids and highs, the bass however is incredibly lacking. To me it's like a finely built sports car with an excellent suspension that can take corners well and an engine that has a lot of midrange torque as well as a great hp peak. Only thing is you put cheap gas and it still handles great and can still go fast but the acceleration and mid range torque lessens by a noticeable difference. Still a great car but you took away all of what it can give with cheap gas.post #1886 of 25924/10/14 at 8:41pmConsidering how I have compared the E9 to the SA-31 directly (since they're both SS amps) with other headphones, they all still sounded somewhat similar, including those notorious for scaling (HD650, Q701). The HE-4 was a completely different beast, in that well, it didn't sound all too good off the E9. No headphone has ever sounded so strained like the HE-4 did to me off the E9 which is a great amp for the price.
But sure... it's just all about quality.
Edited by Mad Lust Envy - 4/10/14 at 8:43pmpost #1887 of 25924/11/14 at 4:33amThe lack of bass punch does not have anything to do with power output, it's just the Vali's sig. I do like the analogy though
What amps you like and what amps you didn't like, it's beside the point. Every single amp will have to fuel the exact same amount of power to attain to a certain SPL on a specific headphone. None of the overhead power is used, ever, unless you turn up the volume even more.
I really don't know how I can better explain this concept…
Edited by Thujone - 4/11/14 at 5:11ampost #1888 of 25924/11/14 at 4:56amThe bass was the same to slightly similar when comparing the q701, and 668b between the Vali and Audio-GD (single ended 1200mW). Unfortunately the only balanced in my possession was the he4 so no comparison were made with those models above with the balanced output of the Audio-GD v Vali.
Maybe hemi can chime in with his newly acquired amp if the he4 sounds the same out of the AUDIO-GD with 1200mW se and 9w balanced.post #1889 of 25924/11/14 at 5:08am
Oh damn! I didn't realize the balanced output had 9W when the SE is 1.2W. I'm guessing that there are three different amp architectures then? One for the SE and two for the balanced? Either way I imagine that you aren't using any of the same circuitry, so it's essentially two different amps. Then again I'm not up to par on my amp architecture knowledge
- Hifiman HE-4 Impressions Thread
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- Headphone Impedance
- › Lear BD4.2 impressions and appreciation thread + Australian tour 39 seconds ago
- › What's a cool looking and deadly weapon 1 minute ago
- › What Are You Listening To Right Now? -New thread, new rules. Please... 2 minutes ago
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (Update: 7/9/2014:... 2 minutes ago
- › Reshell Or Not To Reshell? 2 minutes ago
- › Suggestions improving portable set-up 3 minutes ago
- › Audeze LCD-2 Rev-2, Rosewood, leather, one owner, travel case,... 6 minutes ago
- › VSONIC GR07 Impressions & Impressions Thread 8 minutes ago
- › 「Official」Asian Anime, Manga, and Music Lounge 9 minutes ago
- › Headphone recommendations for rock/metal $200 budget 10 minutes ago
- › Brainwavz S5 In Ear Headphones by suman134
- › ROCK JAW ALFA GENUS by Ishcabible
- › Phiaton PS 20 Half In-Ear Premium Earphone (Glossy Black) by DrikTheTroll
- › Oppo HA-1 Integrated Headphone DAC and Amplifier. by Currawong
- › JayBird BlueBuds X Sport Bluetooth Headphones - Midnight Black by wpfloridian
- › Yamaha PRO 500 by VanCitySound
- › Creative Sound Blaster Z Series ZXR (70SB151000000) Sound Card by Nada190
- › ASUS Essence STX II by raymond555
- › iFi Nano iDSD by elmura
- › AKG K267 by Blinxat
- › Audio Connections between components --...
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Introduction)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Gaming Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Exercise Headphones)