- 1,759 Posts. Joined 5/2008
- Location: Bolingbrook, IL
- Select All Posts By This User
Recent Images In This Thread
- productHE-5LEtagged by System, 12/15/11
- categoryHeadphonestagged by System, 11/10/10
- brandHiFiMANtagged by System, 11/10/10
- productHiFiMAN HE-4tagged by System, 2/2/11
- productHiFiMAN HE-5tagged by System, 8/15/11
- productHiFiMAN HE-6 Planar Headphonetagged by System, 7/19/11
- categoryOver Eartagged by System, 11/10/10
Related Forum Threads
- HE-4 vs. HE-5LE Last post on 2/20/14 at 3:12pm in Introductions, Help and Recommendations
- HiFiMan Introduces New HE-500 Planar Magnetic Headphones Last post on 3/16/13 at 7:43pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Hifiman HE-4/5/6 vs Fischer FA-003? Last post on 3/11/11 at 6:36am in Headphones (full-size)
- Whatever happened to the HiFiMan dynamic headphone? Last post on 8/1/11 at 7:00am in Headphones (full-size)
- HiFiMAN HE-4 vs. HIFIMAN HE-400 Last post on 12/9/13 at 7:23pm in Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
Last edited: 7/25/14
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Ultra-High-End Headphones (Summit-Fi))Last edited: 7/21/14
- Headphone ImpedanceLast edited: 8/18/12
- Buying Guide Headphones By Price RangeLast edited: 10/26/12
- A Hopefully Helpful Headphone Buying Guide For Newbies By BoomanaLast edited: 1/6/13
I've owned the Sennheiser Momentum for about a year now. Though it is aesthetically pleasing, and very sturdy overall, I can honestly say that it isn't worth the $300. I enjoyed the mids, which...
Not quite a review but thought I'd quote my recent observations. Quote: Originally Posted by Rob80b Well the K712s showed up, just doing some preliminary comparison with my K701s with the...
First, a big thanks to Todd The Vinyl Junkie for making the 'e' series loaner program possible. To the next guy in line: sorry I kept them for so long. The very first pair of 'high-end'...
A big thanks to TekFusion for sending the TwinWoofer in for review and Ibrahim for taking the photo shots! TekFusion is a brand new fresh company based in India. Targeted for consumer...
I enjoy these headphones very much. A beautiful sound, clear and natural with a tight bass. I am a bit surprised such small cans can sounds so good. The wood finish might not suit everyone, but...
Hifiman HE-4 Impressions Thread - Page 126post #1876 of 27084/10/14 at 1:19pmYou people Are crazy. Pick up a speaker amp at goodwill for ten bucks and run your he4 with entry of power.
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #1877 of 27084/10/14 at 1:44pmpost #1878 of 27084/10/14 at 2:02pmpost #1879 of 27084/10/14 at 2:17pmpost #1880 of 27084/10/14 at 4:00pm
Honestly, imo if your going to buy the HE 4, or rather pay for it
at least have a decent amp to go with it
heck for what $360 you can buy a new DT 880 and Schiit Vali, which will sound as good if not better than a HE 4 under driven
I mean I had the DT 880 and I found the Sub bass it had with the Vali was AWESOME, and imo the dt 880 out of the vali sounds better than the HE 4 out of my friends random speaker amp... I tested it right before I shipped my dt 880 outpost #1881 of 27084/10/14 at 7:31pm
I have no problem with the idea "you need a great quality amp over a poor quality amp". I have a problem with "you need an amp with more power over a 'low' powered amp". The latter is utterly false, which is the point I've been trying to get across.post #1882 of 27084/10/14 at 8:24pmpost #1883 of 27084/10/14 at 8:25pmI'm wondering just how much you're missing by running the HE-4 off such a weak amp. The loss in dynamics and authority must be pretty significant. Just going back what I heard with the E9 which is powerful 'enough' for the HE-4 and how utterly lacking it was when compared to the Lyr and SA-31. I say this being a big fan of the E9 and how good it sounds with most headphones (even those with impedance too low for the 1/8th rule). The HE-4 sounded positively strained off the E9.
But if you wanna argue the numerical data, then I guess it falls on deaf ears. Pun not intended.
Must be all that O2 blindness. I've seen so many disappointing impressions on how well the O2 sounds off certain headphones.... yet, people still argue it's all you'll ever need.
If it's a matter of the HE-4 scaling, then surely those who pair it with such weak amps must REALLY be missing out on the HE-4's potential.
Edited by Mad Lust Envy - 4/10/14 at 8:29pmpost #1884 of 27084/10/14 at 8:38pmpost #1885 of 27084/10/14 at 8:40pmYou're not missing much on the mids and highs, the bass however is incredibly lacking. To me it's like a finely built sports car with an excellent suspension that can take corners well and an engine that has a lot of midrange torque as well as a great hp peak. Only thing is you put cheap gas and it still handles great and can still go fast but the acceleration and mid range torque lessens by a noticeable difference. Still a great car but you took away all of what it can give with cheap gas.post #1886 of 27084/10/14 at 8:41pmConsidering how I have compared the E9 to the SA-31 directly (since they're both SS amps) with other headphones, they all still sounded somewhat similar, including those notorious for scaling (HD650, Q701). The HE-4 was a completely different beast, in that well, it didn't sound all too good off the E9. No headphone has ever sounded so strained like the HE-4 did to me off the E9 which is a great amp for the price.
But sure... it's just all about quality.
Edited by Mad Lust Envy - 4/10/14 at 8:43pmpost #1887 of 27084/11/14 at 4:33amThe lack of bass punch does not have anything to do with power output, it's just the Vali's sig. I do like the analogy though
What amps you like and what amps you didn't like, it's beside the point. Every single amp will have to fuel the exact same amount of power to attain to a certain SPL on a specific headphone. None of the overhead power is used, ever, unless you turn up the volume even more.
I really don't know how I can better explain this concept…
Edited by Thujone - 4/11/14 at 5:11ampost #1888 of 27084/11/14 at 4:56amThe bass was the same to slightly similar when comparing the q701, and 668b between the Vali and Audio-GD (single ended 1200mW). Unfortunately the only balanced in my possession was the he4 so no comparison were made with those models above with the balanced output of the Audio-GD v Vali.
Maybe hemi can chime in with his newly acquired amp if the he4 sounds the same out of the AUDIO-GD with 1200mW se and 9w balanced.post #1889 of 27084/11/14 at 5:08am
Oh damn! I didn't realize the balanced output had 9W when the SE is 1.2W. I'm guessing that there are three different amp architectures then? One for the SE and two for the balanced? Either way I imagine that you aren't using any of the same circuitry, so it's essentially two different amps. Then again I'm not up to par on my amp architecture knowledge
- Hifiman HE-4 Impressions Thread
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Ultra-High-End Headphones (Summit-Fi))
- › Earphones around $150? 43 seconds ago
- › Windows Phone 7 1 minute ago
- › Focal SPIRIT PROFESSIONAL Impressions thread 1 minute ago
- › Multi-IEM Review - 319 IEMs compared (T-Peos D200R added 08/01/14... 1 minute ago
- › HiFiMan HE-560 US Tour Thread / Impressions and Reviews 2 minutes ago
- › The Best Bass Headphones are.. ( "The EXTREME BASS Club") 2 minutes ago
- › The (new) HD800 Impressions Thread 2 minutes ago
- › The NEW Cayin C5 portable power house. 3 minutes ago
- › Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up 3 minutes ago
- › Audio card for stereo in my computer? sound blaster z? ODAC? FiiO E10? 3 minutes ago
- › Sennheiser Momentum by MacroPower
- › AKG K712 Pro by Rob80b
- › Grado Labs SR225e by yage
- › Tekfusion Twinwoofers by BillsonChang007
- › ATH-ESW10JPN by bluelines
- › Audio-Technica ATH-M40x Professional Headphones by krishtrinity1
- › Baldoor EarBell E100 by subwoof3r
- › Brainwavz S5 In Ear Headphones by lin0003
- › FiiO Kilimanjaro 2 (E11K) Portable Headphone Amplifier by twister6
- › Audio Technica Sonic Fuel ATH-CKX9iS In-ear Headphones with In-line... by TheAfterEffect
- › Audio Connections between components --...
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Introduction)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Gaming Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Exercise Headphones)