- 1,750 Posts. Joined 5/2008
- Location: Bolingbrook, IL
- Select All Posts By This User
Recent Images In This Thread
- productHE-5LEtagged by System, 12/15/11
- categoryHeadphonestagged by System, 11/10/10
- brandHiFiMANtagged by System, 11/10/10
- productHiFiMAN HE-4tagged by System, 2/2/11
- productHiFiMAN HE-5tagged by System, 8/15/11
- productHiFiMAN HE-6 Planar Headphonetagged by System, 7/19/11
- categoryOver Eartagged by System, 11/10/10
Related Forum Threads
- HE-4 vs. HE-5LE Last post on 2/20/14 at 3:12pm in Introductions, Help and Recommendations
- HiFiMan Introduces New HE-500 Planar Magnetic Headphones Last post on 3/16/13 at 7:43pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Hifiman HE-4/5/6 vs Fischer FA-003? Last post on 3/11/11 at 6:36am in Headphones (full-size)
- Whatever happened to the HiFiMan dynamic headphone? Last post on 8/1/11 at 7:00am in Headphones (full-size)
- HiFiMAN HE-4 vs. HIFIMAN HE-400 Last post on 12/9/13 at 7:23pm in Headphones (full-size)
Last edited: 8/18/12
- Buying Guide Headphones By Price RangeLast edited: 10/26/12
- A Hopefully Helpful Headphone Buying Guide For Newbies By BoomanaLast edited: 1/6/13
I like to mod…yes, I am one of those head-fiers. My specific area of interest is Grados, and wooden cups for them. I delight in sourcing cups, finding the drivers, and transforming a prosaic...
The Korean company really needs no introduction at this point. They have proven themselves as a capable IEM maker with a series of top of the line hybrid as well as some good sound yet budget...
These iems are better than some entry levels (Shure 215/ hifiman RE0/ RE 400/ Sennheiser CX300) with a wider soundstage due to the 13mm dynamic driver , however need serious burn in for at least 50...
First, I’d like to thank the folks at Narmoo for providing a sample of their R1M earphones for review. In recent years, the IEM market has sort of exploded, seeing a number of established...
I work with Trance music most ... Before The New released update 3.0 for the thing i wasn't really satisfied with its quality of sound in trance ...but the update Changed everything ,EVERYthing...
Hifiman HE-4 Impressions Thread - Page 126post #1876 of 25634/10/14 at 1:19pmYou people Are crazy. Pick up a speaker amp at goodwill for ten bucks and run your he4 with entry of power.
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #1877 of 25634/10/14 at 1:44pmpost #1878 of 25634/10/14 at 2:02pmpost #1879 of 25634/10/14 at 2:17pmpost #1880 of 25634/10/14 at 4:00pm
Honestly, imo if your going to buy the HE 4, or rather pay for it
at least have a decent amp to go with it
heck for what $360 you can buy a new DT 880 and Schiit Vali, which will sound as good if not better than a HE 4 under driven
I mean I had the DT 880 and I found the Sub bass it had with the Vali was AWESOME, and imo the dt 880 out of the vali sounds better than the HE 4 out of my friends random speaker amp... I tested it right before I shipped my dt 880 outpost #1881 of 25634/10/14 at 7:31pm
I have no problem with the idea "you need a great quality amp over a poor quality amp". I have a problem with "you need an amp with more power over a 'low' powered amp". The latter is utterly false, which is the point I've been trying to get across.post #1882 of 25634/10/14 at 8:24pmpost #1883 of 25634/10/14 at 8:25pmI'm wondering just how much you're missing by running the HE-4 off such a weak amp. The loss in dynamics and authority must be pretty significant. Just going back what I heard with the E9 which is powerful 'enough' for the HE-4 and how utterly lacking it was when compared to the Lyr and SA-31. I say this being a big fan of the E9 and how good it sounds with most headphones (even those with impedance too low for the 1/8th rule). The HE-4 sounded positively strained off the E9.
But if you wanna argue the numerical data, then I guess it falls on deaf ears. Pun not intended.
Must be all that O2 blindness. I've seen so many disappointing impressions on how well the O2 sounds off certain headphones.... yet, people still argue it's all you'll ever need.
If it's a matter of the HE-4 scaling, then surely those who pair it with such weak amps must REALLY be missing out on the HE-4's potential.
Edited by Mad Lust Envy - 4/10/14 at 8:29pmpost #1884 of 25634/10/14 at 8:38pmpost #1885 of 25634/10/14 at 8:40pmYou're not missing much on the mids and highs, the bass however is incredibly lacking. To me it's like a finely built sports car with an excellent suspension that can take corners well and an engine that has a lot of midrange torque as well as a great hp peak. Only thing is you put cheap gas and it still handles great and can still go fast but the acceleration and mid range torque lessens by a noticeable difference. Still a great car but you took away all of what it can give with cheap gas.post #1886 of 25634/10/14 at 8:41pmConsidering how I have compared the E9 to the SA-31 directly (since they're both SS amps) with other headphones, they all still sounded somewhat similar, including those notorious for scaling (HD650, Q701). The HE-4 was a completely different beast, in that well, it didn't sound all too good off the E9. No headphone has ever sounded so strained like the HE-4 did to me off the E9 which is a great amp for the price.
But sure... it's just all about quality.
Edited by Mad Lust Envy - 4/10/14 at 8:43pmpost #1887 of 25634/11/14 at 4:33amThe lack of bass punch does not have anything to do with power output, it's just the Vali's sig. I do like the analogy though
What amps you like and what amps you didn't like, it's beside the point. Every single amp will have to fuel the exact same amount of power to attain to a certain SPL on a specific headphone. None of the overhead power is used, ever, unless you turn up the volume even more.
I really don't know how I can better explain this concept…
Edited by Thujone - 4/11/14 at 5:11ampost #1888 of 25634/11/14 at 4:56amThe bass was the same to slightly similar when comparing the q701, and 668b between the Vali and Audio-GD (single ended 1200mW). Unfortunately the only balanced in my possession was the he4 so no comparison were made with those models above with the balanced output of the Audio-GD v Vali.
Maybe hemi can chime in with his newly acquired amp if the he4 sounds the same out of the AUDIO-GD with 1200mW se and 9w balanced.post #1889 of 25634/11/14 at 5:08am
Oh damn! I didn't realize the balanced output had 9W when the SE is 1.2W. I'm guessing that there are three different amp architectures then? One for the SE and two for the balanced? Either way I imagine that you aren't using any of the same circuitry, so it's essentially two different amps. Then again I'm not up to par on my amp architecture knowledge
- Hifiman HE-4 Impressions Thread
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- Buying Guide Headphones By Price Range
- › Sennheiser IE 800 (2 weeks old mint condition, includes everything)... 2 seconds ago
- › Little Dot Tube Amps: Vacuum Tube Rolling Guide 13 seconds ago
- › Havi B3 Pro-1 Impressions Thread 44 seconds ago
- › Shure SE846 Impressions Thread 47 seconds ago
- › MCINTOSH LABS INTRODUCES NEW HEADPHONE AMP MODEL MHA 100 2 minutes ago
- › Grado Fan Club! 2 minutes ago
- › What Headphone and Amp are you listening to right now? 2 minutes ago
- › Chord Hugo 3 minutes ago
- › Tekfusion® Twinwoofers® In-Ear Headphones - Reviewers Needed! 3 minutes ago
- › Light Harmonic Geek Out EM/1000 Impressions Thread 3 minutes ago
- › AKG K812 by jk47
- › Sennheiser Grado Hybrid a.k.a. SennGrado by fleasbaby
- › T-Peos Altone200 by ClieOS
- › SONY MDR-XB30EX-B Black | In-Ear EXTRA BASS Headphones (Japanese... by francopro
- › NarMoo R1M High-Fidelity Noise Isolation Headphones with Mic by TheGame21x
- › FiiO X3 Portable Music Player by ash47
- › Electric Avenues PA2V2 by shak85
- › C&C BH Portable Headphone Amp by shak85
- › Yamaha PRO 500 by cel4145
- › TDK BA200 by Ch1Kn
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Introduction)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Gaming Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Exercise Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Wireless Headphones)