- 6,154 Posts. Joined 4/2013
- Location: SEATTLE
- Select All Posts By This User
Recent Images In This Thread
- productHE-5LEtagged by System, 12/15/11
- categoryHeadphonestagged by System, 11/10/10
- brandHiFiMANtagged by System, 11/10/10
- productHiFiMAN HE-4tagged by System, 2/2/11
- productHiFiMAN HE-5tagged by System, 8/15/11
- productHiFiMAN HE-6 Planar Headphonetagged by System, 7/19/11
- categoryOver Eartagged by System, 11/10/10
Related Forum Threads
- HE-4 vs. HE-5LE Last post on 2/20/14 at 3:12pm in Introductions, Help and Recommendations
- HiFiMan Introduces New HE-500 Planar Magnetic Headphones Last post on 3/16/13 at 7:43pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Hifiman HE-4/5/6 vs Fischer FA-003? Last post on 3/11/11 at 6:36am in Headphones (full-size)
- Whatever happened to the HiFiMan dynamic headphone? Last post on 8/1/11 at 7:00am in Headphones (full-size)
- HiFiMAN HE-4 vs. HIFIMAN HE-400 Last post on 12/9/13 at 7:23pm in Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
Last edited: 1/11/17
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3Last edited: 11/28/16
- Headphone ImpedanceLast edited: 8/18/12
- Buying Guide Headphones By Price RangeLast edited: 10/26/12
- A Hopefully Helpful Headphone Buying Guide For Newbies By BoomanaLast edited: 1/6/13
This is a report about a new IEM from Brainwavz. The B100 Specifications: Drivers : Single Balanced Armature Rated Impedance : 50 Ω Frequency Range : 15 Hz ~ 22...
A little bit about me: So I am Neil. a normal music loving lad who works here in Japan. I commute everyday, and I am always searching for the best value for my music needs. I currently use the...
I tested these headphones and was not very impressed with them. The price was very high for a used pair of headphones and it did not seem to compete well with other brands at lower price points....
[[SPOILER]] Disclaimer: The CL1 were provided to me as a part of the North American Review Tour by RHA. I have been given 10 days to listen to and then write a review where I will pass them along...
SPECS: No written spec was found for the UMI-BTA9 WHERE TO BUY / COST: http://amzn.to/2h6jhkA $69.99 new ( often heavily discounted down to $25 or less ) OVERVIEW Happy...
Hifiman HE-4 Impressions Thread - Page 109post #1621 of 39233/8/14 at 10:27amThat's a collector for sure but what about as Hifiman? If I recall they were something else during the Jade release.
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #1622 of 39233/8/14 at 10:52amQuote:Originally Posted by hemipowered007
heres an odd update. So, i traded some mag drivers for a jds labs c5 to use with my re262s. The other night, i put the ol "portable" cable with the be to se adapter on and tested the c5 with the he4. It was almost dead at the time, got rather bad results, as i expected. Low volume- great great detail and very resolving, bass is slightly muddied but not much. Now, tonight, after i charged the c5, listening again. It seems i have more volume now before distortion really comes into play, highs have some distortion to them at a "decent" listening level. but overall, i could rock the c5 in a pinch and still get a decent amount of he4 glory, not mad at all. It really isnt ideal, at all, but i sold my mini out of nowhere, so now, since i didnt like the c5 with the 262s, im selling it, and going after an ember. But, if anyone has multiple setups, dont believe the huge power hype, the he4 sounds pretty damn decent at lower levels on the c5, just not "full" as desktops amps will do for it. I wish i hadnt started taking my pioneer apart now....But, i can really be "happy" with the c5 and the he4 for a bit, i just love the stupid hp so much, I really dont get why hifiman discontinued it and the 262s, they both have a big following still, shame really.
I agree - I feel the RE262/RE272 could have continued to exist between the RE400/RE600 but they tend to turn over models quickly because they are constantly doing R & D, plus they are doing more in house (as I understand it, the drivers in the new RE models are of their own design and not outsourced). I have yet to hear an RE262 but they are frequently recommended to me, so it's a matter of hearing one at a meet or finding a used one in good condition...maybe this is how HiFiMan creates legendspost #1623 of 39233/8/14 at 11:15ampost #1624 of 39233/8/14 at 3:41pm
So I brought my HE4 to work where I have the Yulong D100 pumping 1200mw into 32ohms. Just for sake of being on the safe side, let's say 1100mW into the HE4's 38ohm. I do have to say it's not bad at all. I do notice however the bass doesn't reach as deep nor does it have as much impact as the monster AudioGD at home, the highs seems to roll off on the peaks BUT the treble is still very airy even more so than the AudioGD but this could be the nature of Yulong. So the lowest lows and highest highs seemed to be most effected here, volume level is decent where as the loud-wars era tracks can get too loud but at the same time some of the softer classical recordings (that can pick up when things swell) are a bit on the soft side.
I do miss that impact and deep bass though, so it wouldn't be my first choice running it on less than 2W of power but above 1W can be 'good enough.' You are however short changing yourself of some sonic qualities IMO.
Can the Vali/Magni (or similar) run these to a satisfactory level? I think so
Edited by Soundsgoodtome - 3/8/14 at 3:45pmpost #1625 of 39233/9/14 at 4:34pmpost #1626 of 39233/9/14 at 5:11pmQuote:
it is a good amp, but I can't find the output voltage. It has an impedance switch, great for high or low impedance, but I doubt it would work well with the power hungry he 4 or 6. think of the he4 and 6 as speakers, not typical headphones. they need some juice.post #1627 of 39233/9/14 at 5:17pmThey don't really NEED the amount of power most people think. But, they sure sound good with a little extra boost. I miss my 727 right now, and just found an sx 1050 for cheap. But I doubt its been gone through and its a lot of work to recap these entire things. That's why mine is just sitting here partially taken apart. I'm willing to bet the ember sounds better than it anyways.post #1628 of 39233/9/14 at 5:32pmIt shows enough quality to wow people but with more power it'll really wow lol. And I feel people will hear 1200mW on the HE4 and say, +2w power isnt needed and the power claim is a load of .. but even Fang is saying 1w per channel on the more efficient he500. 1W is a good starting point you're not getting 100% of the fantastic HP.
What'd you end up doing for a Dac?Quote:Originally Posted by hemipowered007
They don't really NEED the amount of power most people think. But, they sure sound good with a little extra boost. I miss my 727 right now, and just found an sx 1050 for cheap. But I doubt its been gone through and its a lot of work to recap these entire things. That's why mine is just sitting here partially taken apart. I'm willing to bet the ember sounds better than it anyways.
Edited by Soundsgoodtome - 3/9/14 at 5:38pmpost #1629 of 39233/9/14 at 5:35pmpost #1630 of 39233/9/14 at 5:37pmAnd yes I get the power, I had an emotiva, didn't really love it, I like my pioneers sound more, and it has a little less power but its warmer and had more bass texture. It just lost in the detail and soundstage fields to the mini, but that's probably due to the fact most of its main power caps are original, that's why its in pieces now. I need a new soldering iron though, and some time with it again, I used to be good, but have lost my steady hand and feel for it.post #1631 of 39233/9/14 at 5:43pmI was looking at a bunch of SX series pioneers and even some RA Akai (all made in JP heavy weight receivers of the 70s) on EBAY. I feel I know enough to swap caps and deoxit but really I don't know whats good and what to look for. Just sorta Googlin and hope there are reviews for the vintage gear.post #1632 of 39233/9/14 at 5:45pmThe emotiva is just the ath m50 of the amp world. Great performer for its price but the way the rabid fan base recommends it will fade.
I have nothing against emotiva, actually plan on buying a 5 channel amp from them soon but based on my hearing it (albeit briefly) with my he-500 it's just not what the evangelists are claiming. IMO.
Although I will say that if you are in the states and can benefit from the free shipping the price/performance ratio is excellent.post #1633 of 39233/9/14 at 5:50pmpost #1634 of 39233/9/14 at 6:31pm
Oh gawd. Not all this "more power = better" crap again... A 20W per channel amp and the Vali will feed the HE-4 (or any other headphone) the exact power value to sustain a certain volume. You want to get to X volume? It requires Y watts. Always, no matter what amp. The difference between the Vali and a 20W amp is the amount of overhead power you have and the architecture of the amp. You may like a higher powered amp better but that's because the pairing is more pleasing to your ears, it has nothing to do with power. As long as you have an amp that's got some overhead (i.e. as long as it isn't operating with the volume knob at 100% all the time), it doesn't matter. I'd much rather get a Vali and run it at 3:00 than get a mini-X and run it at 8:30.post #1635 of 39233/9/14 at 6:32pmI used the HE-4 for a few weeks while preproman had them in for a HiFiMan shootoff. The 5LE, 6, 4, 500. The hp jack on the Hilo is decent for an accessory of a good DAC. I also used my Singlepower Extreme with not so good results. I could run the 4s with the volume all the way without distortion. But they sound better on a speaker amp. The bass is hard and fast and the soundstage is better on them as well.
- Hifiman HE-4 Impressions Thread
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Advanced AcousticWerkes W900 Hybrid Flagship Thread 1 minute ago
- › Woo Audio Amp Owner Unite 3 minutes ago
- › Fiio X5 3rd gen || 2x AKM 4490 || Balanced Out || DSD || DXD | DTS... 4 minutes ago
- › Denon AH-7200 4 minutes ago
- › JVC HA-SZ2000/1000 Impressions Thread 6 minutes ago
- › TRINITY - PHANTOM Series - New thread + WORLDS FIRST PUSH PULL... 6 minutes ago
- › De'Mun / Bengkel Macro 7 minutes ago
- › NEW SONY NW-WM1Z / WM1A FLAGSHIP HI-END DAP!!! 7 minutes ago
- › Obscure Chinese DAPs 7 minutes ago
- › Focal Listen Impressions and Review 9 minutes ago
- › Brainwavz B100 Balanced Armature Earphone by Dsnuts
- › Audeze iSine 10 by neilmanalo
- › Stax SR-507 Electrostatic Earspeaker by audiophilehe400
- › RHA CL1 Ceramic by Delance26
- › UMIDIGI BTA9 Sports IEM by NA Blur
- › RHA CL750 by Jackpot77
- › MEE audio - MMCX SILVER-PLATED CABLE by Zelda
- › Skullcandy Crusher Wireless Bluetooth Over-Ear Headphone with Mic -... by fusiondragon
- › FiiO X3 2nd gen Ultraportable Hi-Res DAP by mokler
- › Audio-Technica ATH-M50x by mokler
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Travel Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (CanJams)
- › FiiO X3II DAP firmwares with custom themes
- › Flawless Album Suggestions
- › The Audiophile Scene in a Third World Country...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide:...
- › Chord Mojo FAQ
- › Head-Fi Logo Gear