or Connect
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Hifiman HE-4 Impressions Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Hifiman HE-4 Impressions Thread - Page 98

post #1456 of 3917
I think ill go t50 mod before denon though
post #1457 of 3917
Quote:
Originally Posted by hemipowered007 View Post

I think ill go t50 mod before denon though

 

They are my go-to cans while the HE-4 is absent.

post #1458 of 3917
Jerk...
post #1459 of 3917
I just tradedy re400s for some re262s so maybe that'll set aside my new toy fever for a few days
post #1460 of 3917
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thujone View Post
 

 

They are my go-to cans while the HE-4 is absent.



Nice!! Complete noob on the T50RP, what mods do people do for sonic gains? How much do you end up spending after a finished product, sans cosmetic and cable upgrades?

post #1461 of 3917
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soundsgoodtome View Post
 



I forgot to say D2000 pads lol, I don't have Denons. Would love to try some one day though

 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thujone View Post
 

 

Same here. They have really intrigued me lately...

You know... I like them, not as tight or layered as the HE 4 but a bit more fun, and a touch more body in the bass due to the closed back [although it lacks a touch of speed]

 

My D2k is mostly for my portable rig, which requires closed backs :3

post #1462 of 3917
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soundsgoodtome View Post
 



Nice!! Complete noob on the T50RP, what mods do people do for sonic gains? How much do you end up spending after a finished product, sans cosmetic and cable upgrades?

 

Thanks! I followed BMF's guide for DBV #3. He's got incremental measurements showing the effect of nearly every step. You end up paying for the headphones (~$100), Shure 840 pads (~$15) and maybe $5 more for most of the rest of the materials (tape, adhesive felt, stiff felt, cotton). The acoustic dampening foam is the most expensive part because it comes in bulk. If you need some foam, shoot me a PM...

post #1463 of 3917
Quote:
 
Originally Posted by Thujone View Post

 

 

 

Thanks! I followed BMF's guide for DBV #3. He's got incremental measurements showing the effect of nearly every step. You end up paying for the headphones (~$100), Shure 840 pads (~$15) and maybe $5 more for most of the rest of the materials (tape, adhesive felt, stiff felt, cotton). The acoustic dampening foam is the most expensive part because it comes in bulk. If you need some foam, shoot me a PM...

 

 



Wow..... that is a lot of different variations. Even with the FR graphs it's still a lot to go over. I might take that on when I get some free time, is there a lot of reward for modding the T50RP vs stock? Seems like a heckuva deal if SQ is fantastic (considering Alphas are fetching $600 from technically the same drivers).


I like how Amazon has all the mod materials when you search T50RP lol
http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_2?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=t50rp


Edited by Soundsgoodtome - 2/13/14 at 5:16pm
post #1464 of 3917
I have literally read every word of both the big t50 forums, and still don't own the 100 buck hps! I have no excuse either...someone wanna buy some half modded magnum v5s? I'm sick of these things sitting here.
post #1465 of 3917
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thujone View Post
 

Thanks! I followed BMF's guide for DBV #3. He's got incremental measurements showing the effect of nearly every step. You end up paying for the headphones (~$100), Shure 840 pads (~$15) and maybe $5 more for most of the rest of the materials (tape, adhesive felt, stiff felt, cotton). The acoustic dampening foam is the most expensive part because it comes in bulk. If you need some foam, shoot me a PM...

I'm shocked when I see guides like that.  Tons of respect for the people that have the organization & skills it takes to put something like that together, especially if they're not a MOT, but even though I believe in DIY, no way I could see myself ever using it.  Between reading and then executing the steps, troubleshooting & asking forum questions, waiting for responses, collecting materials & supplement materials...  I get a headache just thinking about it.

post #1466 of 3917
Quote:
Originally Posted by hemipowered007 View Post

I have literally read every word of both the big t50 forums, and still don't own the 100 buck hps! I have no excuse either...someone wanna buy some half modded magnum v5s? I'm sick of these things sitting here.


Put a WTT or FT ad in the classifieds. I think I might try that with some HPs

post #1467 of 3917
I will, have before. Just want those fostex so bad, I already have brand new shure 840 pads and damping material too...
post #1468 of 3917
Anywhooo...back to the he4. Where's purrin at with those fr graphs? Any idea thujone
post #1469 of 3917

Hopefully next week or so.

post #1470 of 3917
Quote:
Originally Posted by hemipowered007 View Post

I will, have before. Just want those fostex so bad, I already have brand new shure 840 pads and damping material too...

Just my 2 pennies... No matter how many mods I made to my t50rp/t20rp, I could never get the sound I got from my HE-4. I revist my modded Fostex can every now and then, and I always feel the bass is missing. BMF ended up building me a DBV#3 on a trade last year, and he reached probably the flattest response I've had the chance to hear. That said, I never did hear the bass response everyone touted. Ultimately the modded drivers need the volume cranked to ear bleeding levels for me to get any true bass (and it just never gets as deep or punchy as my HE-4 or even my HD800s).

I do not regret the countless hours I spent modding those headphones. But, in the end, now that my free time is nearly non-existent, I'd rather buy the sound that I want up front without the need to tinker later.

One of the most satisfying audio purchases I have made was the HE-4... If you decide to go down the slippery T50rp path, just be careful, time sneaks away very quickly. I found I was no longer listening to music, but listening to mods.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Hifiman HE-4 Impressions Thread