- 1,197 Posts. Joined 9/2012
- Location: Oregon
- Select All Posts By This User
Recent Images In This Thread
- productHE-5LEtagged by System, 12/15/11
- categoryHeadphonestagged by System, 11/10/10
- brandHiFiMANtagged by System, 11/10/10
- productHiFiMAN HE-4tagged by System, 2/2/11
- productHiFiMAN HE-5tagged by System, 8/15/11
- productHiFiMAN HE-6 Planar Headphonetagged by System, 7/19/11
- categoryOver Eartagged by System, 11/10/10
Related Forum Threads
- HE-4 vs. HE-5LE Last post on 2/20/14 at 3:12pm in Introductions, Help and Recommendations
- HiFiMan Introduces New HE-500 Planar Magnetic Headphones Last post on 3/16/13 at 7:43pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Hifiman HE-4/5/6 vs Fischer FA-003? Last post on 3/11/11 at 6:36am in Headphones (full-size)
- Whatever happened to the HiFiMan dynamic headphone? Last post on 8/1/11 at 7:00am in Headphones (full-size)
- HiFiMAN HE-4 vs. HIFIMAN HE-400 Last post on 12/9/13 at 7:23pm in Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
Last edited: Yesterday
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3Last edited: 11/28/16
- Headphone ImpedanceLast edited: 8/18/12
- Buying Guide Headphones By Price RangeLast edited: 10/26/12
- A Hopefully Helpful Headphone Buying Guide For Newbies By BoomanaLast edited: 1/6/13
Preamble: Advanced AcousticWerkes, in short known as AAW, is a Singapore based audio product manufacturer best known for custom-moulded in-ear monitors (CIEMs). Not long ago, they have...
The Soundaware Esther M1Pro provides a immersive sound experience held down by its dated interface and firmware. Its like driving a luxury car with all its comfort but with a dated design...
I am lucky. Very lucky. As I listened last Sunday to the i5, not only did we have the first good (not hard, but good) freeze of the Fall, but since I had been up since just before sunrise, I was...
Greetings Head-fi! Today we are going to be checking out the Bluetooth version of Mee Audio's classic budget earphone, the M9B. Mee Audio, formerly MEElectronics, has been around since 2005 and is...
I got the honour of being part of the C1 World Tour .Thank you for the opportunity Micah and the RHA Team. Selflessly our Tour Organiser , @glassmonkey gave me the chance to unwrap this...
Hifiman HE-4 Impressions Thread - Page 86post #1276 of 39171/28/14 at 9:00pmThere's not going to be a "best" wpc here. I think the whole, more power better sound, has gotten blown out of proportion here. The reason vintage amps that are TOL sound better with the he4, isn't their wpc rating. Its because the higher end high wpc amps have better circuitry, well some of them. An old pioneer like an sx-1280 or such, is going to sound better because the amp was built with better caps and resistors, and just built with higher end parts. My 727 does fine, at 35 wpc, needs some work still. The emotiva is 50 wpc, and for now sounds cleaner. But I lose mid warmth and slight treble rolloff. The 727, once I'm done will sound better in the end than the emotiva.
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #1277 of 39171/29/14 at 5:21amQuote:Originally Posted by kothganesh
Oh heck yeah. I was listening to the HE-4 from a vintage Luxman receiver two days ago. After listening to it for about 30 minutes, I went back to the Emotiva and did realized HOW scalable the HE-4 is. The owner of the receiver (a 90 year old man) refused point blank to sell the Luxman to me !
You just need to work your way into his inheritance.
125.8mW will get the HE-4 to 105dB. Like hemi said, the whole "more power is better" thing is way overblown, or at least IMO. Just try different amps and find what you like best. I had the Emotiva next to Ember and ended up going with Ember even though it has maybe 10% of the power the Emotiva has; it just sounds way better.post #1278 of 39171/29/14 at 7:51ampost #1279 of 39171/29/14 at 7:55amQuote:
Again, 125.8mW will get the HE-4 to 105dB. How loud do you want them to be?post #1280 of 39171/29/14 at 8:28ampost #1281 of 39171/29/14 at 10:10amQuote:
One of the best amps for HE-4\6 is Beta22 (3- or 4-channel, based on russian audiophiles' findings). It provides over 3W. Less power affects dynamics and overall sound energy especially when listening to high dynamic range classic music. So these headphones don't need megawatts of power. What really matters is the quality of power. Looks like Beta22 power supply can provide stable current in peaks and the result is excellent. It seems Project Ember does a great job thanks to it's good power supply.
Edited by GigArt - 1/29/14 at 10:12ampost #1282 of 39171/29/14 at 10:59amWell... The he4 is no longer being manufactured according to hifiman on the ces thread. Better get yours before they run out of stock (on the fences), this is the end of a great hp. And beginning of new ones!post #1283 of 39171/29/14 at 11:01amQuote:
I just saw that too... makes me sad.post #1284 of 39171/29/14 at 11:08am
Well that makes me really glad I got mine in time. Maybe in a couple years it will sell for obnoxious amounts of money like Denons do now. Also on the Beta 22, that things seems like it is pretty much one of the best amps period, I haven't heard anyone have any complaints about it when paired with anything.post #1285 of 39171/29/14 at 6:26pmpost #1286 of 39171/29/14 at 8:41pmQuote:Originally Posted by Rinx7
Well that makes me really glad I got mine in time. Maybe in a couple years it will sell for obnoxious amounts of money like Denons do now. Also on the Beta 22, that things seems like it is pretty much one of the best amps period, I haven't heard anyone have any complaints about it when paired with anything.
Even if it becomes overpriced like the denons. I shall never let these leave my hands!!!post #1287 of 39171/30/14 at 3:04amQuote:
The denons have imo leveled out price wise. A used fully MOdded D7k sells around $800
Used D2ks are still around $250-300 not sure what they where NEW MSRP back in the day, but I don't see the HE 4 ever being worth a TON
non the less... thinking bout selling my DT 880 to buy one of these bad bois
Is it true what they say? They HE 4 is like a "super" Dt 880? Meaning clean bass, natrual mids and a touch of bright treble? Oh and ofc the addition of the good ole Planar Sub Basspost #1288 of 39171/30/14 at 4:34amQuote:
YES! I compared them carefully one month ago and the HE-4 is definitely a kind of upgraded DT-880.post #1289 of 39171/30/14 at 3:19pmQuote:
Good! I just bought an HE 4 in mint condition with a balanced Cable! and lots of extras.
I might even get to compare the DT 880 and the HE 4!
- Hifiman HE-4 Impressions Thread
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3
- › NEW SONY NW-WM1Z / WM1A FLAGSHIP HI-END DAP!!! 1 minute ago
- › Introducing Lotoo PAW Gold 2 minutes ago
- › Feliks Audio Elise Impressions Thread – a New Start (please read... 3 minutes ago
- › Hidizs AP60 4 minutes ago
- › SONY NW-ZX100 DAP 4 minutes ago
- › Schiit Valhalla Tube Rolling thread. 5 minutes ago
- › Noble Audio - the Wizard returns! 6 minutes ago
- › The Official Sony MDR-Z1R Flagship Headphone Thread (Live From IFA... 6 minutes ago
- › Benjie S5 Offical Thread 7 minutes ago
- › The Obsession with Loudness in Portable Headphones -- Why?! +... 8 minutes ago
- › AAW Nebula One Titanium Diaphragm In-Ear Monitor by HiFiChris
- › Soundaware Esther by tassardar
- › Cayin i5 by ngoshawk
- › MEE audio M9B Bluetooth Wireless Noise-Isolating In-Ear Stereo... by B9Scrambler
- › RHA CL1 Ceramic by Takeanidea
- › Parasound Zpre zone preamplifier by snellemin
- › Campfire Audio Vega by Jackpot77
- › EarSonics Velvet by SeeSax
- › Tony Bennett TBSE1 Signature Edition Headphone - Black/Silver by DJ The Rocket
- › Accutone Pisces Digital In-Ear Headset - Retail Packaging -... by mark2410
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Travel Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (CanJams)
- › FiiO X3II DAP firmwares with custom themes
- › Flawless Album Suggestions
- › The Audiophile Scene in a Third World Country...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide:...
- › Chord Mojo FAQ
- › Head-Fi Logo Gear