or Connect
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Hifiman HE-4 Impressions Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Hifiman HE-4 Impressions Thread - Page 85

post #1261 of 3923

Ordered some he-4's. Stoked

post #1262 of 3923
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keithpgdrb View Post
 

 

on a side note, why are people buying these small amps with speaker outs for the HE-4?  couldn't you just get a nice condition vintage (or not) receiver from something like goodwill or craigslist to do the job as well or better?  I myself am considering restoring an old fisher 400 and trying it with either there he-4 or 6.. inquiring minds..

I might pop my head by the Goodwill sometime next month and look at the receivers. A buddy of mine got a really nice one many years ago, from what I remember it was old and wooden but man they sounded good driving some modern speakers he had.
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by djcarpentier View Post
 

Ordered some he-4's. Stoked


Be sure to provide ample power!

post #1263 of 3923
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soundsgoodtome View Post

I might pop my head by the Goodwill sometime next month and look at the receivers. A buddy of mine got a really nice one many years ago, from what I remember it was old and wooden but man they sounded good driving some modern speakers he had.

 


Be sure to provide ample power!
Makes a lot more sense to me to just get a receiver or speaker amp then to bother with a specific hp amp for these greedy cans. Be sure to let us know how it goes. I may even get some of these.
post #1264 of 3923

I've got 2 vintage receivers ready for duty. A Sansui and a Yamaha. Both have very nice headphone outs and different sonic characteristics. If either of these prove to be not quite up to snuff i'll just get some speaker taps to run to them instead :)

post #1265 of 3923
If they're pre 1980 the hp out more than likely uses the same circuit, so no gain in going to speaker taps. But you won't know unless you have docs or ya open em up.
post #1266 of 3923
Congrats on the buy though, and welcome to the limited growing club of he4 owners!
post #1267 of 3923
I'd go straight for the speaker taps. Especially if it's a 2020 or a 9090db
post #1268 of 3923
Quote:
Originally Posted by djcarpentier View Post

I've got 2 vintage receivers ready for duty. A Sansui and a Yamaha. Both have very nice headphone outs and different sonic characteristics. If either of these prove to be not quite up to snuff i'll just get some speaker taps to run to them instead smily_headphones1.gif

Right on, make sure to post your thoughts of the new gear. Welcome to the new-age hifiman setups with single magnets lol
post #1269 of 3923
Anyone have a pair of these in the Houston area? I want to compare them to my he-500, not that I'm not happy with the 500s,I just want to try more hifiman goodness biggrin.gif liked the voicing on the 5le I heard recently and still need to hear a he6, but the 4s intrigue me greatly
post #1270 of 3923

Order got cancelled due to being Canadian. Its rough up north.

post #1271 of 3923
Quote:
Originally Posted by djcarpentier View Post

Order got cancelled due to being Canadian. Its rough up north.

Find a used one quick!
post #1272 of 3923
I just connect these to speaker b of my 2 channels speaker amp Marantz PM8004. Works like a charm. The Emotiva a100x was not good enough for me.
post #1273 of 3923

the emotiva shouldnt be enough for anyone really. Its a GOOD starter amp for 160 on planars, but it is not the be all end all here, I believe the ember is my next choice, but i am sure there is another amp that will best that. The he4 scales like a beast. It changes a good amount from amp to amp. I personally like that. 

post #1274 of 3923
Quote:
Originally Posted by hemipowered007 View Post
 

the emotiva shouldnt be enough for anyone really. Its a GOOD starter amp for 160 on planars, but it is not the be all end all here, I believe the ember is my next choice, but i am sure there is another amp that will best that. The he4 scales like a beast. It changes a good amount from amp to amp. I personally like that. 

Oh heck yeah. I was listening to the HE-4 from a vintage Luxman receiver two days ago. After listening to it for about 30 minutes, I went back to the Emotiva and did realized HOW scalable the HE-4 is. The owner of the receiver (a 90 year old man) refused point blank to sell the Luxman to me !

post #1275 of 3923

so how many WPC is best here?

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Hifiman HE-4 Impressions Thread