or Connect
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Hifiman HE-4 Impressions Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Hifiman HE-4 Impressions Thread - Page 84

post #1246 of 3917
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rinx7 View Post
 

 

Bottlehead Crack

Thanks mate.

post #1247 of 3917
Quote:
Originally Posted by kothganesh View Post
 

 

I know my wallet will get leaner after I get an answer but, Matt, what is a BHC ? I just got the 650 two weeks ago and am not satisfied with either the Lyr or the Mojo.


From what everyone is saying the BHC and 650 are a match made in heaven...

post #1248 of 3917
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattTCG View Post
 

I've sold most everything to accomplish two things. 

 

1. Buy a BHC w/sb for my hd650. This will be my dedicated setup for the hd650. I just don't seem to want to sell this hp under any circumstances.

 

2. Bankroll a bit of cash for the he400i. 

 

I only have the one hp right now. Poor MattTCG...:(

 

Why'd you end up selling everything (including the HE-400, HE-500, and HE-4) for a HD650 Matt? I have a feeling I might have the same type of sonic preferences as you, so I was wondering if you could say something about this.

post #1249 of 3917

The journey becomes learning about yourself mostly. And for me I've learned that comfort is #1. I can wear the hd650 all day and it never fatigues me for comfort. Second is sound signature. I prefer a darker treble, lush natural mids and bass with that offers texture and visceral punch. Third on my list is price.

 

The hd650 hits all the check boxes. Pair it with the BHC and you've got some of the best "synergy" you'll ever find. This hp scales wonderfully with better gear. Put this setup behind behind a really good dac like the uberfrost...:cool:

 

Now the he400i has my radar on full alert and I do miss the planar sound...sometimes. If the he400i can bring the lush signature of the he500 with much improved comfort, then I'm in. I wanted to pad my budget to be able to afford some news products this year and the new offerings by hifiman my just be the reason for it all. 

post #1250 of 3917
Got the Tubemagic A1 running the He-4. It does plenty well driving them to full sound from the speaker taps with plenty of headroom (dial at 12 o'clock) but I don't get the sub-bass and impact as the audio-gd. Hard to compare as I'm using the Yulong D100 as a dac which imo is excellent for the price but not on the same level as the NFB-10SE. The HE4 definitely are on the bright side, could be the dac or the amp or a combination of both. Very unforgiving on poorly recorded tracks but bearably bright on good tracks to me, just borderline of something I wouldn't want. Very very airy and nice treble. I would think with the stock felt it would be too much.. unless you have treble insensitive ears and love that treble

Sometimes I wonder if going balanced is getting me that impact and sub-bass. I guess I could always try the A1 using the Audio-GD as a DAC.

Question: Is it possible that this A1 has been used strictly for headphones via headphones out exclusively and the speaker out side of the circuitry needs burning in?


Edited by Soundsgoodtome - 1/25/14 at 3:45am
post #1251 of 3917

I'm not completely familiar with the A1, but I do have the grant fidelity tubedac11.  If your bass sounds weaker, or has less punch, it could very well be your tube flavor.  I find that the tube out in my GF ads a lot of what I want, but the bass is tighter and has more impact when I use the solid state out.  Just a possible idea.  you might have to run a $50-100 tube to get that bass impact.  I'm still searching for the perfect tube, but I'm a cheapskate. lol

 

on a side note, why are people buying these small amps with speaker outs for the HE-4?  couldn't you just get a nice condition vintage (or not) receiver from something like goodwill or craigslist to do the job as well or better?  I myself am considering restoring an old fisher 400 and trying it with either there he-4 or 6.. inquiring minds..

post #1252 of 3917

I have been wondering since damping factor isn't an issue with the HE-4 if you could drive it off something like an 8-20W or so tube speaker amp. It seems like some slightly mid forward tubes would complement the HE-4s sound signature quite well.


Edited by Rinx7 - 1/25/14 at 3:08pm
post #1253 of 3917
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keithpgdrb View Post

I'm not completely familiar with the A1, but I do have the grant fidelity tubedac11.  If your bass sounds weaker, or has less punch, it could very well be your tube flavor.  I find that the tube out in my GF ads a lot of what I want, but the bass is tighter and has more impact when I use the solid state out.  Just a possible idea.  you might have to run a $50-100 tube to get that bass impact.  I'm still searching for the perfect tube, but I'm a cheapskate. lol

on a side note, why are people buying these small amps with speaker outs for the HE-4?  couldn't you just get a nice condition vintage (or not) receiver from something like goodwill or craigslist to do the job as well or better?  I myself am considering restoring an old fisher 400 and trying it with either there he-4 or 6.. inquiring minds..

I've got some Mullard tubes coming in which should lift the bass some. However i think the speaker outs for the most part are solid state. I'm not exactly familiar on how these tube amps are implemented but the hp out is all tube power vs speaker output as a hybrid but mostly ss, or so I'm told.
post #1254 of 3917
I have a couple of these laying around doing nothing: http://www.parts-express.com/dayton-audio-dta-100a-class-t-digital-mini-amplifier-50-wpc--300-383

Think this would work? I'm trying to be cheap while I wait and save for the Oppo HA-1. I was probably going to get a balanced cable from Hifiman and the adaptor, but would I be better off just buying a cheap Canare Star Quad cable and find someone locally to solder the spare Hifiman connectors that came with my HE-4? Or is there any other cheap alternative to make speaker-taps that I'm unaware of?
post #1255 of 3917
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soundsgoodtome View Post


I've got some Mullard tubes coming in which should lift the bass some. However i think the speaker outs for the most part are solid state. I'm not exactly familiar on how these tube amps are implemented but the hp out is all tube power vs speaker output as a hybrid but mostly ss, or so I'm told.

I think I remember that on the A1 the rca outs go through the tube, but the balanced do not.  but thats for the outputs.  I don't know about the speaker outs or the HP jack.  I would assume that they use the tube as a buffer.  using the tube is the point I assume.  

 

I'll have to look up that amp.  probably should have done that before rambling on.

post #1256 of 3917
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keithpgdrb View Post
 

I'm not completely familiar with the A1, but I do have the grant fidelity tubedac11.  If your bass sounds weaker, or has less punch, it could very well be your tube flavor.  I find that the tube out in my GF ads a lot of what I want, but the bass is tighter and has more impact when I use the solid state out.  Just a possible idea.  you might have to run a $50-100 tube to get that bass impact.  I'm still searching for the perfect tube, but I'm a cheapskate. lol

 

on a side note, why are people buying these small amps with speaker outs for the HE-4?  couldn't you just get a nice condition vintage (or not) receiver from something like goodwill or craigslist to do the job as well or better?  I myself am considering restoring an old fisher 400 and trying it with either there he-4 or 6.. inquiring minds..

 

Some of us do. Vintage Pioneers have been a good rec, from both myself and others. Issue is, You really need to do some work to get them to sound "better" than something like the cheapo emotiva. I recapped most of my pioneer sx727 around 2 years ago, but didnt do a full on restore, left resistors and some unknowingly important parts untouched. Mainly i replaced some bloated caps and gave it a very thorough deoxit. Now, it sounds good with the he4, but, the emotiva wins so far. Having said that, once my 727 is done, it will dominate the emotiva, but itll be a while for me to dig in and make this thing brand new. Thats why i bought the mini, as a place holder.

post #1257 of 3917
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattTCG View Post
 

The journey becomes learning about yourself mostly. And for me I've learned that comfort is #1. I can wear the hd650 all day and it never fatigues me for comfort. Second is sound signature. I prefer a darker treble, lush natural mids and bass with that offers texture and visceral punch. Third on my list is price.

 

The hd650 hits all the check boxes. Pair it with the BHC and you've got some of the best "synergy" you'll ever find. This hp scales wonderfully with better gear. Put this setup behind behind a really good dac like the uberfrost...:cool:

 

Now the he400i has my radar on full alert and I do miss the planar sound...sometimes. If the he400i can bring the lush signature of the he500 with much improved comfort, then I'm in. I wanted to pad my budget to be able to afford some news products this year and the new offerings by hifiman my just be the reason for it all. 

 

Thanks for this Matt! I've tried the HD650 briefly and auditioned the HD800 on my own setup, but I've never been particularly impressed by either. That being said, I still have a very entry level setup (just an Aune T1 DAC/amp combo currently), so I probably need to try these two beasts at their best on a better setup before I make a judgement. My HE-400s (which I just sold off) sound amazing on my Aune T1 though =)

 

The journey of self-discovery continues!

post #1258 of 3917
Ya. I also want a bhc 650 combo at some point. Don't know of any music I really really listen to would match well though.
post #1259 of 3917

Does anyone have a frequency response graph of the he-4? Can't find one anywhere. 

post #1260 of 3917
Quote:
Originally Posted by djcarpentier View Post
 

Does anyone have a frequency response graph of the he-4? Can't find one anywhere. 

I don't think one exists actually lol. 

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Hifiman HE-4 Impressions Thread