Recent Images In This Thread
- productHE-5LEtagged by System, 12/15/11
- categoryHeadphonestagged by System, 11/10/10
- brandHiFiMANtagged by System, 11/10/10
- productHiFiMAN HE-4tagged by System, 2/2/11
- productHiFiMAN HE-5tagged by System, 8/15/11
- productHiFiMAN HE-6 Planar Headphonetagged by System, 7/19/11
- categoryOver Eartagged by System, 11/10/10
Related Forum Threads
- HE-4 vs. HE-5LE Last post on 2/20/14 at 3:12pm in Introductions, Help and Recommendations
- HiFiMan Introduces New HE-500 Planar Magnetic Headphones Last post on 3/16/13 at 7:43pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Hifiman HE-4/5/6 vs Fischer FA-003? Last post on 3/11/11 at 6:36am in Headphones (full-size)
- Whatever happened to the HiFiMan dynamic headphone? Last post on 8/1/11 at 7:00am in Headphones (full-size)
- HiFiMAN HE-4 vs. HIFIMAN HE-400 Last post on 12/9/13 at 7:23pm in Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
Last edited: 7/25/14
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Ultra-High-End Headphones (Summit-Fi))Last edited: 7/21/14
- Headphone ImpedanceLast edited: 8/18/12
- Buying Guide Headphones By Price RangeLast edited: 10/26/12
- A Hopefully Helpful Headphone Buying Guide For Newbies By BoomanaLast edited: 1/6/13
Integrated amplifiers. We all know what they are, right? The classic definition involves having a power amplifier and a preamplifier integrated into the same chassis. Hence the name. It...
Will keep this review short but these are my impressions after a week of listening to a range of FLAC and a few HD files of every main genre of music: Sources used: FiiO X5 Sony...
Take the well received Akg K545, and add 50 dollars for a mic, amp, nfc, battery and Bluetooth capability. Is it worth it? TLDR, if you don’t have an amp and/or want bluetooth, put this in your top...
This is my first review here. Previously owned Beyerdynamic DT 770 , Audio-Technica m20, Sennheiser Momentum on-ear. Stil have a pair of AKG k450. I exchanged Sennheiser Momentum on-ear for those...
Let’s get started :- BRAINWAVZ S0: Hitting the sweet spot This time round, BRAINWAVZ have a new earphone and it seems to be a subordinate of the S5. It seems like the folks over...
Hifiman HE-4 Impressions Thread - Page 79post #1171 of 31881/12/14 at 5:37am
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #1172 of 31881/12/14 at 10:39ampost #1173 of 31881/12/14 at 10:27pm
I have my emotiva for sale now in EU. If somebody in EU is interested just PM me. Like new condition, 1st buyer, box, warranty, invoice etc ... Only EU buyers.
Since I came back to the best combo no matter the price for driving he-4 in my opinion (was too stupid in the past and sold it unfortunately mainly thanks to some idiots and not trusting my own ears) I don't need emo anymore, you can get it in EU for some silly price. (especially when there is now 219$ normal price, shipping to EU + VAT&customs).post #1174 of 31881/12/14 at 10:34pmpost #1175 of 31881/12/14 at 10:36pmQuote:Originally Posted by preproman
Ummm, interesting. For me the a-100 plus HE-4 was a bit to bright. However, they didn't lack any air. The air was better than any other pairing I had. Bass response is really good as you pointed out. Like you - I needed a bit more warmth. The HE-4 is already a bright and airy headphone.
I was using a Ciunas DAC at the time. That DAC is know to be on the arm side.
+1, in my opinion with he-4 emo lacks depth for me (although width is large) no matter dac I tried. Put something like EF-5 (fullmusic 12au7 version, not old rca) or Lyr in your audio chain and you are in completely different dimension from the first note. Emo is very detailed and smooth in the mids (but not that detailed like ef-5) but sometimes it can tire your hearing especialy with something like modern dacs, though you can match some dac with super smooth sound and punchy bass to equalize that - this is just not the way for me, source needs to have all possible information, not be rolled somehow or smoothing sound and fast transients. I have tried some sansui and pioneer old receivers, even old yamahas but for he-4 nothing can stand next to ef-5/lyr combo, nothing can change my mind in this aspect. This is all about synergy and your ears ... There is something special I cannot explain, I just love to hear this combo, Lyr for some heavy duty stuff and ef-5 for jazz, classical, acoustic, small bands ... Amazing combo perfectly complementing each other.
btw when I was in possession of he-6 I found that even he-6 cannot beat that specific air and spaciousness of he-4
Edited by magicman - 1/12/14 at 11:21pmpost #1176 of 31881/12/14 at 11:00pmpost #1177 of 31881/13/14 at 2:07amQuote:
Yeah - the problem with the HE-6 is the Lyr, EF-5, Mini-X and some Vintage receivers (some are to warm) wont get you there. However, I do agree the HE-4 has just about the best air I've heard, If that's what your looking for. The problem is sometimes to much air means to bright as well. Like you said it's all in synergy and preference.post #1178 of 31881/13/14 at 2:28amQuote:Originally Posted by preproman
Yeah - the problem with the HE-6 is the Lyr, EF-5, Mini-X and some Vintage receivers (some are to warm) wont get you there. However, I do agree the HE-4 has just about the best air I've heard, If that's what your looking for. The problem is sometimes to much air means to bright as well. Like you said it's all in synergy and preference.
Yeah it might be the reason but I find HE-4 much more interesting because of very special tonal balance and sound signature that just fits me the best.
I just love mentioned combos, I guess I've hit sweet spot between my preferences / ears / audio chain synergy. Just couldn't leave without it and that's why I have bought it again for good this time :D
Edited by magicman - 1/13/14 at 2:32ampost #1179 of 31881/13/14 at 2:39ampost #1180 of 31881/13/14 at 3:11ampost #1181 of 31881/13/14 at 12:07pmI've got angled Denon pads coming in from overSeas, can't wait to try that.
I've found the he4 to be a very delightful HP minus the star felt and grill. It still sounds like a front row listener but instrument separation improves greatly while the highs becomes less pronounced. Still a lot of air but much more natural soundingpost #1182 of 31881/17/14 at 3:10pmI just got some Denon angled pads in from China. It should fit right over the hifiman mount rings, seems it would be comfortable. I'll know more tonight or this weekend.
Only thing with these is the felt is sewn directly under the pad so no stuffing of materials can be done to fatten them and get more driver separation. They're real soft and would seem comfy. Hope they sound good!post #1183 of 31881/17/14 at 8:10pmQuote:Originally Posted by Soundsgoodtome
I just got some Denon angled pads in from China. It should fit right over the hifiman mount rings, seems it would be comfortable. I'll know more tonight or this weekend.
Only thing with these is the felt is sewn directly under the pad so no stuffing of materials can be done to fatten them and get more driver separation. They're real soft and would seem comfy. Hope they sound good!
I've been wanting to try those, where did you buy them from?post #1184 of 31881/17/14 at 9:35pmpost #1185 of 31881/17/14 at 9:36pm
EBay, I'm sure I overpaid for them... find out literally 2 days after ordering that HF will have angled pads come March. Should've waited as I'm sure they'll be around $20/pair...oh well.
- Hifiman HE-4 Impressions Thread
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Ultra-High-End Headphones (Summit-Fi))
- › Best classical recordings...ever! 33 seconds ago
- › PC Enthusiast-Fi (PC Gaming/Hardware/Software/Overclocking) 40 seconds ago
- › Need help to replace my Beyerdynamic DT-990 1 minute ago
- › X3 firmware 3.22-3.24beta--M3U playlists, 5-band EQ. #nooneleftbehind 1 minute ago
- › Sennheiser HD 600 Impressions Thread 2 minutes ago
- › Havi b3 pro 1 thread 2.0 2 minutes ago
- › Hifiman IEM's: RE-400 and RE-600 2 minutes ago
- › Headamp Blue Hawaii Special Edition 2 minutes ago
- › Pics of Headphones... Rules: ONE PIC. NO WORDS! 3 minutes ago
- › Schiit Lyr Tube Rollers 3 minutes ago
- › Questyle CMA800i - integrated DAC, headphone amp, and preamp by project86
- › InEar StageDiver SD-3 by Krisman
- › AKG K845 Bluetooth Over-Ear Headphones by cs098
- › KEF M200 Hi-Fi In-Ear Headphones, Aluminum/Black by bodopopa
- › Brainwavz S0 In-Ear Headphones by suman134
- › HiFiMAN RE-400 by mlthelasher
- › Takstar TS-671 by paal0
- › Geben iDA-1 Portable Amp/DAC for iDevices by JoeDoe
- › Fischer Audio Consonance V2 by fonzler
- › Beats Mixr On-Ear Headphones by Flagretro
- › The Great FiiO DAP FAQ Wiki
- › Audio Connections between components --...
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Introduction)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Gaming Headphones)