Recent Images In This Thread
- productHE-5LEtagged by System, 12/15/11
- categoryHeadphonestagged by System, 11/10/10
- brandHiFiMANtagged by System, 11/10/10
- productHiFiMAN HE-4tagged by System, 2/2/11
- productHiFiMAN HE-5tagged by System, 8/15/11
- productHiFiMAN HE-6 Planar Headphonetagged by System, 7/19/11
- categoryOver Eartagged by System, 11/10/10
Related Forum Threads
- HE-4 vs. HE-5LE Last post on 2/20/14 at 3:12pm in Introductions, Help and Recommendations
- HiFiMan Introduces New HE-500 Planar Magnetic Headphones Last post on 3/16/13 at 7:43pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Hifiman HE-4/5/6 vs Fischer FA-003? Last post on 3/11/11 at 6:36am in Headphones (full-size)
- Whatever happened to the HiFiMan dynamic headphone? Last post on 8/1/11 at 7:00am in Headphones (full-size)
- HiFiMAN HE-4 vs. HIFIMAN HE-400 Last post on 12/9/13 at 7:23pm in Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
Last edited: 1/11/17
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3Last edited: 11/28/16
- Headphone ImpedanceLast edited: 8/18/12
- Buying Guide Headphones By Price RangeLast edited: 10/26/12
- A Hopefully Helpful Headphone Buying Guide For Newbies By BoomanaLast edited: 1/6/13
I would like to thank Christian from plusSound for providing the X8 GPC in return for my honest opinion. Introduction PlusSound started making cables around 2012, and has consistently been...
I've recentlty bougth them for office. All i wanted was a pair of fairly decent cans within the budget ive prepaired for this occasion. Unboxing was a surprise, in the package we get a nice pair...
If you are a bass head and like still like to hear to rest of the music, then this Burson V4 could be for you. Charles at Burson had offered the V5 in exchange for a honest evaluation. I did...
Preamble: Founded just last year in 2015, ORIVETI (http://www.oriveti.com/) is still a new company on the market that is however not new to the audio business, having members in their...
Sometimes I have a strong desire to start a review with a conclusion, and then explain everything in more details. This time I think I'll follow this urge. So, OPUS#2 from theBit became for me one...
Hifiman HE-4 Impressions Thread - Page 79post #1171 of 39231/12/14 at 5:37am
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #1172 of 39231/12/14 at 10:39ampost #1173 of 39231/12/14 at 10:27pm
I have my emotiva for sale now in EU. If somebody in EU is interested just PM me. Like new condition, 1st buyer, box, warranty, invoice etc ... Only EU buyers.
Since I came back to the best combo no matter the price for driving he-4 in my opinion (was too stupid in the past and sold it unfortunately mainly thanks to some idiots and not trusting my own ears) I don't need emo anymore, you can get it in EU for some silly price. (especially when there is now 219$ normal price, shipping to EU + VAT&customs).post #1174 of 39231/12/14 at 10:34pmpost #1175 of 39231/12/14 at 10:36pmQuote:Originally Posted by preproman
Ummm, interesting. For me the a-100 plus HE-4 was a bit to bright. However, they didn't lack any air. The air was better than any other pairing I had. Bass response is really good as you pointed out. Like you - I needed a bit more warmth. The HE-4 is already a bright and airy headphone.
I was using a Ciunas DAC at the time. That DAC is know to be on the arm side.
+1, in my opinion with he-4 emo lacks depth for me (although width is large) no matter dac I tried. Put something like EF-5 (fullmusic 12au7 version, not old rca) or Lyr in your audio chain and you are in completely different dimension from the first note. Emo is very detailed and smooth in the mids (but not that detailed like ef-5) but sometimes it can tire your hearing especialy with something like modern dacs, though you can match some dac with super smooth sound and punchy bass to equalize that - this is just not the way for me, source needs to have all possible information, not be rolled somehow or smoothing sound and fast transients. I have tried some sansui and pioneer old receivers, even old yamahas but for he-4 nothing can stand next to ef-5/lyr combo, nothing can change my mind in this aspect. This is all about synergy and your ears ... There is something special I cannot explain, I just love to hear this combo, Lyr for some heavy duty stuff and ef-5 for jazz, classical, acoustic, small bands ... Amazing combo perfectly complementing each other.
btw when I was in possession of he-6 I found that even he-6 cannot beat that specific air and spaciousness of he-4
Edited by magicman - 1/12/14 at 11:21pmpost #1176 of 39231/12/14 at 11:00pmpost #1177 of 39231/13/14 at 2:07amQuote:
Yeah - the problem with the HE-6 is the Lyr, EF-5, Mini-X and some Vintage receivers (some are to warm) wont get you there. However, I do agree the HE-4 has just about the best air I've heard, If that's what your looking for. The problem is sometimes to much air means to bright as well. Like you said it's all in synergy and preference.post #1178 of 39231/13/14 at 2:28amQuote:Originally Posted by preproman
Yeah - the problem with the HE-6 is the Lyr, EF-5, Mini-X and some Vintage receivers (some are to warm) wont get you there. However, I do agree the HE-4 has just about the best air I've heard, If that's what your looking for. The problem is sometimes to much air means to bright as well. Like you said it's all in synergy and preference.
Yeah it might be the reason but I find HE-4 much more interesting because of very special tonal balance and sound signature that just fits me the best.
I just love mentioned combos, I guess I've hit sweet spot between my preferences / ears / audio chain synergy. Just couldn't leave without it and that's why I have bought it again for good this time :D
Edited by magicman - 1/13/14 at 2:32ampost #1179 of 39231/13/14 at 2:39ampost #1180 of 39231/13/14 at 3:11ampost #1181 of 39231/13/14 at 12:07pmI've got angled Denon pads coming in from overSeas, can't wait to try that.
I've found the he4 to be a very delightful HP minus the star felt and grill. It still sounds like a front row listener but instrument separation improves greatly while the highs becomes less pronounced. Still a lot of air but much more natural soundingpost #1182 of 39231/17/14 at 3:10pmI just got some Denon angled pads in from China. It should fit right over the hifiman mount rings, seems it would be comfortable. I'll know more tonight or this weekend.
Only thing with these is the felt is sewn directly under the pad so no stuffing of materials can be done to fatten them and get more driver separation. They're real soft and would seem comfy. Hope they sound good!post #1183 of 39231/17/14 at 8:10pmQuote:Originally Posted by Soundsgoodtome
I just got some Denon angled pads in from China. It should fit right over the hifiman mount rings, seems it would be comfortable. I'll know more tonight or this weekend.
Only thing with these is the felt is sewn directly under the pad so no stuffing of materials can be done to fatten them and get more driver separation. They're real soft and would seem comfy. Hope they sound good!
I've been wanting to try those, where did you buy them from?post #1184 of 39231/17/14 at 9:35pmpost #1185 of 39231/17/14 at 9:36pm
EBay, I'm sure I overpaid for them... find out literally 2 days after ordering that HF will have angled pads come March. Should've waited as I'm sure they'll be around $20/pair...oh well.
- Hifiman HE-4 Impressions Thread
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Fiio X5 3rd gen || 2x AKM 4490 || Balanced Out || DSD || DXD | DTS... 53 seconds ago
- › Cowon Plenue P1 55 seconds ago
- › USB Strikes Back! Watch out AOIP - USB/Ethernet Chain beats All... 1 minute ago
- › Which is better: Sennheiser HD800S or Ether Flow? 1 minute ago
- › Knowledge Zenith (KZ) impressions thread 1 minute ago
- › DIY Cable Questions and Comments Thread 1 minute ago
- › Happy as a Pig in Schiit: Introducing Modi Multibit 1 minute ago
- › Objectivists board room 1 minute ago
- › Mixing audio output from two 5.1 PC sources out to a single set of... 1 minute ago
- › For 6BL7 tube users 2 minutes ago
- › Audeze iSine 20 by AudioJunki3
- › PlusSound X8 IEM Cable by flinkenick
- › Sennheiser MOMENTUM On-Ear Headphone by d1554573r
- › Supreme Sound Opamp V4 by snellemin
- › ORIVETI BASIC - Whole Aluminium Body, High Fidelity, Cable... by HiFiChris
- › Audio-Opus Opus#2 by cleg
- › Meze 11 Neo by mgunin
- › Brainwavz B100 Balanced Armature Earphone by Dsnuts
- › Audeze iSine 10 by neilmanalo
- › Stax SR-507 Electrostatic Earspeaker by audiophilehe400
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Travel Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (CanJams)
- › FiiO X3II DAP firmwares with custom themes
- › Flawless Album Suggestions
- › The Audiophile Scene in a Third World Country...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide:...
- › Chord Mojo FAQ
- › Head-Fi Logo Gear