Recent Images In This Thread
- productHE-5LEtagged by System, 12/15/11
- categoryHeadphonestagged by System, 11/10/10
- brandHiFiMANtagged by System, 11/10/10
- productHiFiMAN HE-4tagged by System, 2/2/11
- productHiFiMAN HE-5tagged by System, 8/15/11
- productHiFiMAN HE-6 Planar Headphonetagged by System, 7/19/11
- categoryOver Eartagged by System, 11/10/10
Related Forum Threads
- HE-4 vs. HE-5LE Last post on 2/20/14 at 3:12pm in Introductions, Help and Recommendations
- HiFiMan Introduces New HE-500 Planar Magnetic Headphones Last post on 3/16/13 at 7:43pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Hifiman HE-4/5/6 vs Fischer FA-003? Last post on 3/11/11 at 6:36am in Headphones (full-size)
- Whatever happened to the HiFiMan dynamic headphone? Last post on 8/1/11 at 7:00am in Headphones (full-size)
- HiFiMAN HE-4 vs. HIFIMAN HE-400 Last post on 12/9/13 at 7:23pm in Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
Last edited: 2/13/17
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3Last edited: 11/28/16
- Headphone ImpedanceLast edited: 8/18/12
- Buying Guide Headphones By Price RangeLast edited: 10/26/12
- A Hopefully Helpful Headphone Buying Guide For Newbies By BoomanaLast edited: 1/6/13
IT WAS THE FIRST HEADPHONE AMPLIFIER I BOUGHT AND I PAIRED IT WITH A SONY NWZ-A15. DECENT SOUND, ALMOST NO PROBLEM WITH IT, BUT EXCEPT ITS DESIGN WHICH I FIND SOMEWHAT UGLY IT WAS UNABLE TO...
Intro & Me: I'm best described as someone who loves music, loves gear and loves to combine them into a "hobby" that focuses on all of these important ingredients from Head-Fi. I have quite a...
Picture are default 1200 x 800 resolution - click to view larger images.INTRODUCTIONThis one came out of the blue. A company I'd never heard of, and an IEM I didn't know existed. The inquiry was...
[[SPOILER]] Introduction:The device was lent to me as part of FiiO's review tour. I was given 10 days with the device to evaluate it and in return give my honest opinion about it. My current...
At the time this review was written, the iFi Pro iCan was listed for sale on Amazon’s website. Here are some links for purchase and...
Hifiman HE-4 Impressions Thread - Page 79post #1171 of 39561/12/14 at 5:37am
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #1172 of 39561/12/14 at 10:39ampost #1173 of 39561/12/14 at 10:27pm
I have my emotiva for sale now in EU. If somebody in EU is interested just PM me. Like new condition, 1st buyer, box, warranty, invoice etc ... Only EU buyers.
Since I came back to the best combo no matter the price for driving he-4 in my opinion (was too stupid in the past and sold it unfortunately mainly thanks to some idiots and not trusting my own ears) I don't need emo anymore, you can get it in EU for some silly price. (especially when there is now 219$ normal price, shipping to EU + VAT&customs).post #1174 of 39561/12/14 at 10:34pmpost #1175 of 39561/12/14 at 10:36pmQuote:Originally Posted by preproman
Ummm, interesting. For me the a-100 plus HE-4 was a bit to bright. However, they didn't lack any air. The air was better than any other pairing I had. Bass response is really good as you pointed out. Like you - I needed a bit more warmth. The HE-4 is already a bright and airy headphone.
I was using a Ciunas DAC at the time. That DAC is know to be on the arm side.
+1, in my opinion with he-4 emo lacks depth for me (although width is large) no matter dac I tried. Put something like EF-5 (fullmusic 12au7 version, not old rca) or Lyr in your audio chain and you are in completely different dimension from the first note. Emo is very detailed and smooth in the mids (but not that detailed like ef-5) but sometimes it can tire your hearing especialy with something like modern dacs, though you can match some dac with super smooth sound and punchy bass to equalize that - this is just not the way for me, source needs to have all possible information, not be rolled somehow or smoothing sound and fast transients. I have tried some sansui and pioneer old receivers, even old yamahas but for he-4 nothing can stand next to ef-5/lyr combo, nothing can change my mind in this aspect. This is all about synergy and your ears ... There is something special I cannot explain, I just love to hear this combo, Lyr for some heavy duty stuff and ef-5 for jazz, classical, acoustic, small bands ... Amazing combo perfectly complementing each other.
btw when I was in possession of he-6 I found that even he-6 cannot beat that specific air and spaciousness of he-4
Edited by magicman - 1/12/14 at 11:21pmpost #1176 of 39561/12/14 at 11:00pmpost #1177 of 39561/13/14 at 2:07amQuote:
Yeah - the problem with the HE-6 is the Lyr, EF-5, Mini-X and some Vintage receivers (some are to warm) wont get you there. However, I do agree the HE-4 has just about the best air I've heard, If that's what your looking for. The problem is sometimes to much air means to bright as well. Like you said it's all in synergy and preference.post #1178 of 39561/13/14 at 2:28amQuote:Originally Posted by preproman
Yeah - the problem with the HE-6 is the Lyr, EF-5, Mini-X and some Vintage receivers (some are to warm) wont get you there. However, I do agree the HE-4 has just about the best air I've heard, If that's what your looking for. The problem is sometimes to much air means to bright as well. Like you said it's all in synergy and preference.
Yeah it might be the reason but I find HE-4 much more interesting because of very special tonal balance and sound signature that just fits me the best.
I just love mentioned combos, I guess I've hit sweet spot between my preferences / ears / audio chain synergy. Just couldn't leave without it and that's why I have bought it again for good this time :D
Edited by magicman - 1/13/14 at 2:32ampost #1179 of 39561/13/14 at 2:39ampost #1180 of 39561/13/14 at 3:11ampost #1181 of 39561/13/14 at 12:07pmI've got angled Denon pads coming in from overSeas, can't wait to try that.
I've found the he4 to be a very delightful HP minus the star felt and grill. It still sounds like a front row listener but instrument separation improves greatly while the highs becomes less pronounced. Still a lot of air but much more natural soundingpost #1182 of 39561/17/14 at 3:10pmI just got some Denon angled pads in from China. It should fit right over the hifiman mount rings, seems it would be comfortable. I'll know more tonight or this weekend.
Only thing with these is the felt is sewn directly under the pad so no stuffing of materials can be done to fatten them and get more driver separation. They're real soft and would seem comfy. Hope they sound good!post #1183 of 39561/17/14 at 8:10pmQuote:Originally Posted by Soundsgoodtome
I just got some Denon angled pads in from China. It should fit right over the hifiman mount rings, seems it would be comfortable. I'll know more tonight or this weekend.
Only thing with these is the felt is sewn directly under the pad so no stuffing of materials can be done to fatten them and get more driver separation. They're real soft and would seem comfy. Hope they sound good!
I've been wanting to try those, where did you buy them from?post #1184 of 39561/17/14 at 9:35pmpost #1185 of 39561/17/14 at 9:36pm
EBay, I'm sure I overpaid for them... find out literally 2 days after ordering that HF will have angled pads come March. Should've waited as I'm sure they'll be around $20/pair...oh well.
- Hifiman HE-4 Impressions Thread
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Moon Audio silver dragon JH Audio 4 pin to 4.4mm Sony cable ( new... 1 hour, 22 minutes ago
- › Uptone Audio Regen latest version 6 hours, 14 minutes ago
- › 24bit vs 16bit, the myth exploded! 7 hours, 17 minutes ago
- › Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up 10 hours, 9 minutes ago
- › Sennheiser IE800 IEM's 10 hours, 39 minutes ago
- › Samsung S8 / S8+ Sound Quality 10 hours, 59 minutes ago
- › [FS] LZ A4 (Brand new - EU located) 11 hours, 12 minutes ago
- › Chord Mojo DAC-amp ☆★►FAQ in 3rd post!◄★☆ 11 hours, 27 minutes ago
- › TRINITY - PHANTOM Series - New thread + WORLDS FIRST PUSH PULL... 12 hours, 37 minutes ago
- › Sennheiser HD800 S Impressions Thread (read first post for summary) 12 hours, 39 minutes ago
- › FiiO A3 Portable Headphone Amplifier (Black) by yannisgk
- › Rhapsodio RDB Mk.IV by SeeSax
- › Aedle ODS-1 by Brooko
- › FiiO X5 3rd gen Premium Hi-Res DAP by xkonfuzed
- › iFi Pro iCAN by Hisoundfi
- › Jomo Audio pretty Little beast by ExpatinJapan
- › Campfire Audio Jupiter by mrstrangeguy
- › Venture Electronics Asura 2.0 by SOULSIK
- › HiFiMAN RE-400 by SOULSIK
- › Meze 99 Neo by dweaver
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Travel Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (CanJams)
- › FiiO X3II DAP firmwares with custom themes
- › Flawless Album Suggestions
- › The Audiophile Scene in a Third World Country...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide:...
- › Chord Mojo FAQ
- › Head-Fi Logo Gear