Recent Images In This Thread
- productHE-5LEtagged by System, 12/15/11
- categoryHeadphonestagged by System, 11/10/10
- brandHiFiMANtagged by System, 11/10/10
- productHiFiMAN HE-4tagged by System, 2/2/11
- productHiFiMAN HE-5tagged by System, 8/15/11
- productHiFiMAN HE-6 Planar Headphonetagged by System, 7/19/11
- categoryOver Eartagged by System, 11/10/10
Related Forum Threads
- HE-4 vs. HE-5LE Last post on 2/20/14 at 3:12pm in Introductions, Help and Recommendations
- HiFiMan Introduces New HE-500 Planar Magnetic Headphones Last post on 3/16/13 at 7:43pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Hifiman HE-4/5/6 vs Fischer FA-003? Last post on 3/11/11 at 6:36am in Headphones (full-size)
- Whatever happened to the HiFiMan dynamic headphone? Last post on 8/1/11 at 7:00am in Headphones (full-size)
- HiFiMAN HE-4 vs. HIFIMAN HE-400 Last post on 12/9/13 at 7:23pm in Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
Last edited: 11/28/14
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Ultra-High-End Headphones (Summit-Fi))Last edited: 12/8/14
- Headphone ImpedanceLast edited: 8/18/12
- Buying Guide Headphones By Price RangeLast edited: 10/26/12
- A Hopefully Helpful Headphone Buying Guide For Newbies By BoomanaLast edited: 1/6/13
Some Background: I’m currently 18 years old which as little as that matters to me seems to be interesting to many people in this community. I’ve always liked music... [[SPOILER]] . Prelude:I...
I Ventured to buy those headphones fater a massive discount in pre-christmas sales here in mexico, for $178 USD i consider them to be a great buy The construction of those cans seems to be...
This is gonna be a simple review BASS For a $7 in ear it is actually really good. A little overbearing at times but quite articulate considering the price. MIDS They are not airy and vocals by...
These headphones sound very precise and balanced. You will hear your music as it was recorded, mixed, and mastered which is the approach I prefer to trying to find headphones that try to EQ things...
Whereas I am also an old school hard-core vinyl aficionado, I (luckily) jumped the digital high-res train early enough to nowadays be equipped with the most necessary hard- and software to be able...
Hifiman HE-4 Impressions Thread - Page 79post #1171 of 32901/12/14 at 5:37am
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #1172 of 32901/12/14 at 10:39ampost #1173 of 32901/12/14 at 10:27pm
I have my emotiva for sale now in EU. If somebody in EU is interested just PM me. Like new condition, 1st buyer, box, warranty, invoice etc ... Only EU buyers.
Since I came back to the best combo no matter the price for driving he-4 in my opinion (was too stupid in the past and sold it unfortunately mainly thanks to some idiots and not trusting my own ears) I don't need emo anymore, you can get it in EU for some silly price. (especially when there is now 219$ normal price, shipping to EU + VAT&customs).post #1174 of 32901/12/14 at 10:34pmpost #1175 of 32901/12/14 at 10:36pmQuote:Originally Posted by preproman
Ummm, interesting. For me the a-100 plus HE-4 was a bit to bright. However, they didn't lack any air. The air was better than any other pairing I had. Bass response is really good as you pointed out. Like you - I needed a bit more warmth. The HE-4 is already a bright and airy headphone.
I was using a Ciunas DAC at the time. That DAC is know to be on the arm side.
+1, in my opinion with he-4 emo lacks depth for me (although width is large) no matter dac I tried. Put something like EF-5 (fullmusic 12au7 version, not old rca) or Lyr in your audio chain and you are in completely different dimension from the first note. Emo is very detailed and smooth in the mids (but not that detailed like ef-5) but sometimes it can tire your hearing especialy with something like modern dacs, though you can match some dac with super smooth sound and punchy bass to equalize that - this is just not the way for me, source needs to have all possible information, not be rolled somehow or smoothing sound and fast transients. I have tried some sansui and pioneer old receivers, even old yamahas but for he-4 nothing can stand next to ef-5/lyr combo, nothing can change my mind in this aspect. This is all about synergy and your ears ... There is something special I cannot explain, I just love to hear this combo, Lyr for some heavy duty stuff and ef-5 for jazz, classical, acoustic, small bands ... Amazing combo perfectly complementing each other.
btw when I was in possession of he-6 I found that even he-6 cannot beat that specific air and spaciousness of he-4
Edited by magicman - 1/12/14 at 11:21pmpost #1176 of 32901/12/14 at 11:00pmpost #1177 of 32901/13/14 at 2:07amQuote:
Yeah - the problem with the HE-6 is the Lyr, EF-5, Mini-X and some Vintage receivers (some are to warm) wont get you there. However, I do agree the HE-4 has just about the best air I've heard, If that's what your looking for. The problem is sometimes to much air means to bright as well. Like you said it's all in synergy and preference.post #1178 of 32901/13/14 at 2:28amQuote:Originally Posted by preproman
Yeah - the problem with the HE-6 is the Lyr, EF-5, Mini-X and some Vintage receivers (some are to warm) wont get you there. However, I do agree the HE-4 has just about the best air I've heard, If that's what your looking for. The problem is sometimes to much air means to bright as well. Like you said it's all in synergy and preference.
Yeah it might be the reason but I find HE-4 much more interesting because of very special tonal balance and sound signature that just fits me the best.
I just love mentioned combos, I guess I've hit sweet spot between my preferences / ears / audio chain synergy. Just couldn't leave without it and that's why I have bought it again for good this time :D
Edited by magicman - 1/13/14 at 2:32ampost #1179 of 32901/13/14 at 2:39ampost #1180 of 32901/13/14 at 3:11ampost #1181 of 32901/13/14 at 12:07pmI've got angled Denon pads coming in from overSeas, can't wait to try that.
I've found the he4 to be a very delightful HP minus the star felt and grill. It still sounds like a front row listener but instrument separation improves greatly while the highs becomes less pronounced. Still a lot of air but much more natural soundingpost #1182 of 32901/17/14 at 3:10pmI just got some Denon angled pads in from China. It should fit right over the hifiman mount rings, seems it would be comfortable. I'll know more tonight or this weekend.
Only thing with these is the felt is sewn directly under the pad so no stuffing of materials can be done to fatten them and get more driver separation. They're real soft and would seem comfy. Hope they sound good!post #1183 of 32901/17/14 at 8:10pmQuote:Originally Posted by Soundsgoodtome
I just got some Denon angled pads in from China. It should fit right over the hifiman mount rings, seems it would be comfortable. I'll know more tonight or this weekend.
Only thing with these is the felt is sewn directly under the pad so no stuffing of materials can be done to fatten them and get more driver separation. They're real soft and would seem comfy. Hope they sound good!
I've been wanting to try those, where did you buy them from?post #1184 of 32901/17/14 at 9:35pmpost #1185 of 32901/17/14 at 9:36pm
EBay, I'm sure I overpaid for them... find out literally 2 days after ordering that HF will have angled pads come March. Should've waited as I'm sure they'll be around $20/pair...oh well.
- Hifiman HE-4 Impressions Thread
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Ultra-High-End Headphones (Summit-Fi))
- › MrSpeakers Alpha PRIME: Impressions and Discussion Thread 25 seconds ago
- › Noble Audio - the Wizard returns! 1 minute ago
- › Output Impedance and Planar Magnetics 2 minutes ago
- › Lake People G109 / G103 thread 4 minutes ago
- › Burson Conductor - DAC/amp successor to the HA-160D 5 minutes ago
- › DAC and power requirements 5 minutes ago
- › 「Official」Asian Anime, Manga, and Music Lounge 7 minutes ago
- › Stax SR-007 MK1 11 minutes ago
- › Thoughts on a bunch of DACs (and why I hate chocolate ice cream) 11 minutes ago
- › Fulla (by) Schiit - News, photos, thoughts, impressions, etc. 13 minutes ago
- › EarSonics SM3 Universal Fit IEM by Mitchell4500
- › Sony MDR-1R by gerelmx1986
- › Panasonic RP-HJE120-K In-Ear Earbud Ergo-Fit Headphone (Black) by JAMEZTHEBOI
- › thinksound on1 Supra-Aural On-Ear Monitor Wooden Headphone by Pacal
- › Astell&Kern AK100II High Resolution Single DAC Audio Player... by musikaladin
- › Sennheiser HD 280 Headphones by Galvatron
- › SanDisk Sansa Clip+ 4 GB MP3 Player (Red) by Mitchell4500
- › Shure SE846 Sound Isolating™ Earphone by Mitchell4500
- › Sennheiser HD 800 Headphones by dreamwhisper
- › Audio-Technica ATH-M50x by ahunatu
- › The Great FiiO DAP FAQ Wiki
- › Audio Connections between components --...
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Introduction)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Gaming Headphones)