The sibilance you are hearing is probably due to mastering if it isn't always there across the board. I have noticed that because of how transparent the HE-4 is you will notice mastering problems much more frequently.
Recent Images In This Thread
- productHE-5LEtagged by System, 12/15/11
- categoryHeadphonestagged by System, 11/10/10
- brandHiFiMANtagged by System, 11/10/10
- productHiFiMAN HE-4tagged by System, 2/2/11
- productHiFiMAN HE-5tagged by System, 8/15/11
- productHiFiMAN HE-6 Planar Headphonetagged by System, 7/19/11
- categoryOver Eartagged by System, 11/10/10
Related Forum Threads
- HE-4 vs. HE-5LE Last post on 2/20/14 at 3:12pm in Introductions, Help and Recommendations
- HiFiMan Introduces New HE-500 Planar Magnetic Headphones Last post on 3/16/13 at 7:43pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Hifiman HE-4/5/6 vs Fischer FA-003? Last post on 3/11/11 at 6:36am in Headphones (full-size)
- Whatever happened to the HiFiMan dynamic headphone? Last post on 8/1/11 at 7:00am in Headphones (full-size)
- HiFiMAN HE-4 vs. HIFIMAN HE-400 Last post on 12/9/13 at 7:23pm in Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
Last edited: 11/28/14
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Ultra-High-End Headphones (Summit-Fi))Last edited: 12/8/14
- Headphone ImpedanceLast edited: 8/18/12
- Buying Guide Headphones By Price RangeLast edited: 10/26/12
- A Hopefully Helpful Headphone Buying Guide For Newbies By BoomanaLast edited: 1/6/13
Comfort and build quality these would not look out of place at £600. Out of all the headphones I have tried these have the best overall sound which works with every type of music and overall sound...
Sony almost always delivers when it comes to good quality audio products and these headphones are a great example. These headphones fit quit well and have different size plugs depending on what...
This is a review for the Shure SE315's, first a little about myself I don't consider myself a hard core audiophile like most people on this site. I am 38 years old and I am just your everyday...
TL;DR : Don't be lazy, I already made the review super short Let's just keep this short, I got the MMX102IE (same version just with a mic and 1 button remote) for about 40$ cuz of a discount...
I am penning down my opinion about the Hidizs AP100 Digital Audio Player. I will try to keep this review simple as possible and I hope it would be easy to read, and will help fellow enthusiasts to...
Hifiman HE-4 Impressions Thread - Page 74
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #1097 of 32981/1/14 at 7:46amQuote:
Well that's what I am wondering. The thing is that the "sibilance" hiss was not apparent when I was powering the HE-4 with the STX, and it was not in your face with the AKG K712Pro. Now it is there and tires out my ears faster.post #1098 of 32981/1/14 at 8:30ampost #1099 of 32981/1/14 at 9:18amQuote:
I believe the most apparent spike in treble is in around 10-11 kHz. At least from my experimenting, I think that's where the sibilant S's are augmented.post #1100 of 32981/1/14 at 9:49amQuote:Quote:
Thanks guys, I reduced a few dBs in the 8-11kHz to where the drums sounded the most natural and it helped.post #1101 of 32981/1/14 at 6:12pmpost #1102 of 32981/2/14 at 6:17am
Hmmm. Interesting development. My HE-4s apparently have an even newer revision of the dampening scheme. The materials are different, black instead of white, and now there is a little behind the cup as well as on the insidepost #1103 of 32981/2/14 at 6:34amQuote:
Or, how about Gungnir to Emotiva to HE 4 ? 😄post #1104 of 32981/2/14 at 11:05amQuote:
This is rather interesting. When and where did you buy them? Can you post a pic or two?post #1105 of 32981/2/14 at 7:02pmShould I take pics of mine? I'd be happy tk for comparisons. The only thing I can tell you for sure is mine have the star felt on the outside. Is that how everyone else's are? And now I'm wondering if this is why rinx7 is experiencing "more" sibilance than most of us.post #1106 of 32981/2/14 at 7:47pmpost #1107 of 32981/2/14 at 7:51pm
Im just stuck in wonderland on this. I KNOW this dac destroyer cant be doing the he4 justice, the e17 had a better dac, but thats gone now. I really think i should just go bifrost uber usb and if i want that tube sound insert the quickie as a pre amp. I doubt the tubemagics dac bests the bifrost. I just really am limited on experience on dacs. But, i believe this here he4 is one of my endgame hps, and i want to scale it up (moderately i only make 55k a year) to get its to its "best".post #1108 of 32981/3/14 at 3:36am
Well I found the culprit to the all the excessive hisses and cause of listening fatigue. It's the emotiva amp. When using the Marantz amp, it's so smooth that I can listen to music hours without my ear drums tiring out. 30 minutes on the emotiva and my ear drums are blasting. Even my denon avr is nice and clean with no listening fatigue. Guess I'll have to sell my emotiva.post #1109 of 32981/3/14 at 4:58amQuote:
That is exactly what mine look like as well.post #1110 of 32981/3/14 at 5:31amQuote:Originally Posted by nos024
Well I found the culprit to the all the excessive hisses and cause of listening fatigue. It's the emotiva amp. When using the Marantz amp, it's so smooth that I can listen to music hours without my ear drums tiring out. 30 minutes on the emotiva and my ear drums are blasting. Even my denon avr is nice and clean with no listening fatigue. Guess I'll have to sell my emotiva.
Interesting. I don't think that I've heard another emotiva owner make this same comment. Possibly the Marantz is just very warm and rolled off in the treble and it makes a good match for the he-4. I've owned one 70's era Marantz and it was certainly warm with dark treble. Not sure though.
- Hifiman HE-4 Impressions Thread
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Ultra-High-End Headphones (Summit-Fi))
- › Chinese / Asian Brand Info Thread (Headphones, IEMs, Amps, DACs) 1 minute ago
- › Sennheiser HD 700 Impressions Thread 2 minutes ago
- › Calling All "Vintage" Integrated/Receiver Owners 3 minutes ago
- › Sony PHA-3 balanced portable dac/amp 3 minutes ago
- › Sony MDR-1A - Sony's latest update on the 1R 3 minutes ago
- › Gustard U12 USB Interface 8 Core XMOS chip 5 minutes ago
- › X7, the Flagship DAP from FiiO ( updated on 15/12/2014) 5 minutes ago
- › Fake ODAC/O2? 5 minutes ago
- › Geek Pulse: Geek desktop DAC/AMP by Light Harmonics 6 minutes ago
- › NEW Audio-Technica ATH-MSR7 and ATH-MSR7LTD 7 minutes ago
- › Shure SRH1540 Headphones by nicholars
- › Sony MDREX10LP/BLK In-Ear Headphones by originalgusbus
- › Shure Sound Isolating Earphone SE315 Hi-Definition Micro Speaker... by acain
- › Beyerdynamic DTX 102 iE In-Ear Headphones (Silver) by Zero Decibels
- › Hidizs AP100 Portable HiFi Audio Player in Black / Silver White by YoYo JoKeR
- › EarSonics SM3 Universal Fit IEM by heovuitinh
- › Koss KDX200 by vaziyetu
- › Brainwavz M5 by vaziyetu
- › beyerynamic DT 150 Compact Closed Headphone (250 Ohms) by jdpark
- › Sony MDR-1R by gerelmx1986
- › The Great FiiO DAP FAQ Wiki
- › Audio Connections between components --...
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Introduction)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Gaming Headphones)