The sibilance you are hearing is probably due to mastering if it isn't always there across the board. I have noticed that because of how transparent the HE-4 is you will notice mastering problems much more frequently.
Recent Images In This Thread
- productHE-5LEtagged by System, 12/15/11
- categoryHeadphonestagged by System, 11/10/10
- brandHiFiMANtagged by System, 11/10/10
- productHiFiMAN HE-4tagged by System, 2/2/11
- productHiFiMAN HE-5tagged by System, 8/15/11
- productHiFiMAN HE-6 Planar Headphonetagged by System, 7/19/11
- categoryOver Eartagged by System, 11/10/10
Related Forum Threads
- HE-4 vs. HE-5LE Last post on 2/20/14 at 3:12pm in Introductions, Help and Recommendations
- HiFiMan Introduces New HE-500 Planar Magnetic Headphones Last post on 3/16/13 at 7:43pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Hifiman HE-4/5/6 vs Fischer FA-003? Last post on 3/11/11 at 6:36am in Headphones (full-size)
- Whatever happened to the HiFiMan dynamic headphone? Last post on 8/1/11 at 7:00am in Headphones (full-size)
- HiFiMAN HE-4 vs. HIFIMAN HE-400 Last post on 12/9/13 at 7:23pm in Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
Last edited: 1/18/16
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Ultra-High-End Headphones (Summit-Fi))Last edited: 12/4/15
- Headphone ImpedanceLast edited: 8/18/12
- Buying Guide Headphones By Price RangeLast edited: 10/26/12
- A Hopefully Helpful Headphone Buying Guide For Newbies By BoomanaLast edited: 1/6/13
About Me: I'm just your average guy making his way through college with a passing interest in audio fidelity. I'm NOT an audiophile, but I've got a little experience ranging from lower-end...
Preamble: Pai Audio (http://www.paiaudio.com/indexEn.asp) is a relatively new audio company and based in Shenzhen, China. Established in 2014, they have specialised in manufacturing...
At the time this review was written, the Echobox Finder X1 was listed for sale on their website. Here is a link to their listing of the...
At the time this review was written, the Alpha & Delta was listed for sale on Lendmeurears website. Here is a link to their listing of the...
It’s not often I have the absolute pleasure of listening to headphones such as the MA750i. It’s been more than a year since I’ve gotten my Macaw GT100s, and several months since I’ve lost...
Hifiman HE-4 Impressions Thread - Page 74
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #1097 of 38781/1/14 at 7:46amQuote:
Well that's what I am wondering. The thing is that the "sibilance" hiss was not apparent when I was powering the HE-4 with the STX, and it was not in your face with the AKG K712Pro. Now it is there and tires out my ears faster.post #1098 of 38781/1/14 at 8:30ampost #1099 of 38781/1/14 at 9:18amQuote:
I believe the most apparent spike in treble is in around 10-11 kHz. At least from my experimenting, I think that's where the sibilant S's are augmented.post #1100 of 38781/1/14 at 9:49amQuote:Quote:
Thanks guys, I reduced a few dBs in the 8-11kHz to where the drums sounded the most natural and it helped.post #1101 of 38781/1/14 at 6:12pmpost #1102 of 38781/2/14 at 6:17am
Hmmm. Interesting development. My HE-4s apparently have an even newer revision of the dampening scheme. The materials are different, black instead of white, and now there is a little behind the cup as well as on the insidepost #1103 of 38781/2/14 at 6:34amQuote:
Or, how about Gungnir to Emotiva to HE 4 ? 😄post #1104 of 38781/2/14 at 11:05amQuote:
This is rather interesting. When and where did you buy them? Can you post a pic or two?post #1105 of 38781/2/14 at 7:02pmShould I take pics of mine? I'd be happy tk for comparisons. The only thing I can tell you for sure is mine have the star felt on the outside. Is that how everyone else's are? And now I'm wondering if this is why rinx7 is experiencing "more" sibilance than most of us.post #1106 of 38781/2/14 at 7:47pmpost #1107 of 38781/2/14 at 7:51pm
Im just stuck in wonderland on this. I KNOW this dac destroyer cant be doing the he4 justice, the e17 had a better dac, but thats gone now. I really think i should just go bifrost uber usb and if i want that tube sound insert the quickie as a pre amp. I doubt the tubemagics dac bests the bifrost. I just really am limited on experience on dacs. But, i believe this here he4 is one of my endgame hps, and i want to scale it up (moderately i only make 55k a year) to get its to its "best".post #1108 of 38781/3/14 at 3:36am
Well I found the culprit to the all the excessive hisses and cause of listening fatigue. It's the emotiva amp. When using the Marantz amp, it's so smooth that I can listen to music hours without my ear drums tiring out. 30 minutes on the emotiva and my ear drums are blasting. Even my denon avr is nice and clean with no listening fatigue. Guess I'll have to sell my emotiva.post #1109 of 38781/3/14 at 4:58amQuote:
That is exactly what mine look like as well.post #1110 of 38781/3/14 at 5:31amQuote:Originally Posted by nos024
Well I found the culprit to the all the excessive hisses and cause of listening fatigue. It's the emotiva amp. When using the Marantz amp, it's so smooth that I can listen to music hours without my ear drums tiring out. 30 minutes on the emotiva and my ear drums are blasting. Even my denon avr is nice and clean with no listening fatigue. Guess I'll have to sell my emotiva.
Interesting. I don't think that I've heard another emotiva owner make this same comment. Possibly the Marantz is just very warm and rolled off in the treble and it makes a good match for the he-4. I've owned one 70's era Marantz and it was certainly warm with dark treble. Not sure though.
- Hifiman HE-4 Impressions Thread
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Ultra-High-End Headphones (Summit-Fi))
- › Help Me Diagnose Why My Setup Sounds Harsh With Orchestral Music 12 seconds ago
- › TRINITY - PHANTOM Series - New thread + WORLDS FIRST PUSH PULL... 38 seconds ago
- › Schiit Yggdrasil Impressions thread 2 minutes ago
- › Shure SE846 4 minutes ago
- › Chinese / Asian Brand Info Thread (Headphones, IEMs, Amps, DACs) 4 minutes ago
- › Chord Mojo - The Official Thread .☆*¨*★. Please READ the 3rd... 6 minutes ago
- › DNA Stratus in Excellent Condition w/ Upgraded Tubes 6 minutes ago
- › Flawless albums 7 minutes ago
- › Audeze SINE Series 9 minutes ago
- › FiiO Factory Tour 2016 9 minutes ago
- › Sennheiser HD 558 by Midgetguy
- › Pai Audio MR4 by HiFiChris
- › Echobox Audio Finder X1 by Hisoundfi
- › Alpha & Delta D2 by Hisoundfi
- › RHA MA750i by Cinder
- › RM-S1 Wired Sport Headset Stereo Headphone Earphone For iPhone 6... by Redcarmoose
- › Westone Um Pro 50 Clear Earbuds by ryanjsoo
- › Oriolus In-Ear Monitors (v2) by Aerosphere
- › SoundMAGIC HP100 Premium Over-the-Ear Folding Headphone by harry501501
- › Audio-Opus Opus#1 by musicday
- › Flawless Album Suggestions
- › The Audiophile Scene in a Third World Country...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide:...
- › Chord Mojo FAQ
- › Head-Fi Logo Gear
- › All about iPod Touch 6G as digital transport
- › List of major HiFiMan HE1000 reviews,...
- › Can I change my user name? Can I delete my...