The sibilance you are hearing is probably due to mastering if it isn't always there across the board. I have noticed that because of how transparent the HE-4 is you will notice mastering problems much more frequently.
Recent Images In This Thread
- productHE-5LEtagged by System, 12/15/11
- categoryHeadphonestagged by System, 11/10/10
- brandHiFiMANtagged by System, 11/10/10
- productHiFiMAN HE-4tagged by System, 2/2/11
- productHiFiMAN HE-5tagged by System, 8/15/11
- productHiFiMAN HE-6 Planar Headphonetagged by System, 7/19/11
- categoryOver Eartagged by System, 11/10/10
Related Forum Threads
- HE-4 vs. HE-5LE Last post on 2/20/14 at 3:12pm in Introductions, Help and Recommendations
- HiFiMan Introduces New HE-500 Planar Magnetic Headphones Last post on 3/16/13 at 7:43pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Hifiman HE-4/5/6 vs Fischer FA-003? Last post on 3/11/11 at 6:36am in Headphones (full-size)
- Whatever happened to the HiFiMan dynamic headphone? Last post on 8/1/11 at 7:00am in Headphones (full-size)
- HiFiMAN HE-4 vs. HIFIMAN HE-400 Last post on 12/9/13 at 7:23pm in Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
Last edited: 11/28/14
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Ultra-High-End Headphones (Summit-Fi))Last edited: 12/8/14
- Headphone ImpedanceLast edited: 8/18/12
- Buying Guide Headphones By Price RangeLast edited: 10/26/12
- A Hopefully Helpful Headphone Buying Guide For Newbies By BoomanaLast edited: 1/6/13
I will leave the technical speak and unboxing play-by-play to the reviews that are already here, done by people who do a much better job than I can currently manage. Just know that the iDSD Micro...
Ok, I've had these for a while now and decided to leave some feedback on these. First thing, the sound from these IEM's (earphones) are nothing short of excellent with a few minor dislikes. At...
I purchased a Bakoon HPA-01 off Massdrop for around $1200 (it is normally around $1700 retail) due to the reputation of Bakoon Japan for making stunning amps. The HPA-01 is from Bakoon Korea,...
It would be impossible to replicate my first impressions of the Pioneer Superior Club Sound in-ear headphone series. As such, if you’d like my initial reaction, check out myPioneer SE-CX9 review....
Intro/Setup The on-ear open-back design is not a very popular segment. I suspect most overlook this category largely because of the lack of isolation compared to the many closed-back...
Hifiman HE-4 Impressions Thread - Page 74
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #1097 of 35311/1/14 at 7:46amQuote:
Well that's what I am wondering. The thing is that the "sibilance" hiss was not apparent when I was powering the HE-4 with the STX, and it was not in your face with the AKG K712Pro. Now it is there and tires out my ears faster.post #1098 of 35311/1/14 at 8:30ampost #1099 of 35311/1/14 at 9:18amQuote:
I believe the most apparent spike in treble is in around 10-11 kHz. At least from my experimenting, I think that's where the sibilant S's are augmented.post #1100 of 35311/1/14 at 9:49amQuote:Quote:
Thanks guys, I reduced a few dBs in the 8-11kHz to where the drums sounded the most natural and it helped.post #1101 of 35311/1/14 at 6:12pmpost #1102 of 35311/2/14 at 6:17am
Hmmm. Interesting development. My HE-4s apparently have an even newer revision of the dampening scheme. The materials are different, black instead of white, and now there is a little behind the cup as well as on the insidepost #1103 of 35311/2/14 at 6:34amQuote:
Or, how about Gungnir to Emotiva to HE 4 ? 😄post #1104 of 35311/2/14 at 11:05amQuote:
This is rather interesting. When and where did you buy them? Can you post a pic or two?post #1105 of 35311/2/14 at 7:02pmShould I take pics of mine? I'd be happy tk for comparisons. The only thing I can tell you for sure is mine have the star felt on the outside. Is that how everyone else's are? And now I'm wondering if this is why rinx7 is experiencing "more" sibilance than most of us.post #1106 of 35311/2/14 at 7:47pmpost #1107 of 35311/2/14 at 7:51pm
Im just stuck in wonderland on this. I KNOW this dac destroyer cant be doing the he4 justice, the e17 had a better dac, but thats gone now. I really think i should just go bifrost uber usb and if i want that tube sound insert the quickie as a pre amp. I doubt the tubemagics dac bests the bifrost. I just really am limited on experience on dacs. But, i believe this here he4 is one of my endgame hps, and i want to scale it up (moderately i only make 55k a year) to get its to its "best".post #1108 of 35311/3/14 at 3:36am
Well I found the culprit to the all the excessive hisses and cause of listening fatigue. It's the emotiva amp. When using the Marantz amp, it's so smooth that I can listen to music hours without my ear drums tiring out. 30 minutes on the emotiva and my ear drums are blasting. Even my denon avr is nice and clean with no listening fatigue. Guess I'll have to sell my emotiva.post #1109 of 35311/3/14 at 4:58amQuote:
That is exactly what mine look like as well.post #1110 of 35311/3/14 at 5:31amQuote:Originally Posted by nos024
Well I found the culprit to the all the excessive hisses and cause of listening fatigue. It's the emotiva amp. When using the Marantz amp, it's so smooth that I can listen to music hours without my ear drums tiring out. 30 minutes on the emotiva and my ear drums are blasting. Even my denon avr is nice and clean with no listening fatigue. Guess I'll have to sell my emotiva.
Interesting. I don't think that I've heard another emotiva owner make this same comment. Possibly the Marantz is just very warm and rolled off in the treble and it makes a good match for the he-4. I've owned one 70's era Marantz and it was certainly warm with dark treble. Not sure though.
- Hifiman HE-4 Impressions Thread
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Ultra-High-End Headphones (Summit-Fi))
- › Creative Sound Blaster new series Z, Zx & ZxR 16 seconds ago
- › LAMPIZATOR THREAD COMMENTS REVIEWS TUNING 51 seconds ago
- › LG Quadbeat 3 Impressions Thread 1 minute ago
- › "The Lab" 1 minute ago
- › Audeze EL-8: The EL-8 is a must-hear at CES 2015 3 minutes ago
- › Fiio X5 - Custom/Modded firmwares 3 minutes ago
- › Grado Fan Club! 4 minutes ago
- › Regarding Using New Clear Silicone Rubber Pad on FiiO Amplifiers 4 minutes ago
- › Testing audiophile claims and myths 5 minutes ago
- › Full blown addiction 7 minutes ago
- › iFi Audio micro iDSD by knorris908
- › Shure SE425 Earphone by interpolate
- › Bakoon HPA-01 by Currawong
- › Pioneer SE-CX8-T Headphone, Bright Copper by Luckbad
- › Sennheiser HD 239 Headphones Black by rigodeni
- › Audio-Technica ATH-R70x | R Series Professional Open Back Dynamic... by twister6
- › Signature Acoustics O16 Live by kova4a
- › Sennheiser HD 428 Headphones by rensin
- › JVC HAF14B - Gumy Earbud Headphones by LuigiSound
- › Grado SR80i Headphones by Pirakaphile
- › Can I change my user name? Can I delete my...
- › Table of Earphocalypse
- › The Great FiiO DAP FAQ Wiki
- › Audio Connections between components --...
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Introduction)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 2