The sibilance you are hearing is probably due to mastering if it isn't always there across the board. I have noticed that because of how transparent the HE-4 is you will notice mastering problems much more frequently.
Recent Images In This Thread
- productHE-5LEtagged by System, 12/15/11
- categoryHeadphonestagged by System, 11/10/10
- brandHiFiMANtagged by System, 11/10/10
- productHiFiMAN HE-4tagged by System, 2/2/11
- productHiFiMAN HE-5tagged by System, 8/15/11
- productHiFiMAN HE-6 Planar Headphonetagged by System, 7/19/11
- categoryOver Eartagged by System, 11/10/10
Related Forum Threads
- HE-4 vs. HE-5LE Last post on 2/20/14 at 3:12pm in Introductions, Help and Recommendations
- HiFiMan Introduces New HE-500 Planar Magnetic Headphones Last post on 3/16/13 at 7:43pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Hifiman HE-4/5/6 vs Fischer FA-003? Last post on 3/11/11 at 6:36am in Headphones (full-size)
- Whatever happened to the HiFiMan dynamic headphone? Last post on 8/1/11 at 7:00am in Headphones (full-size)
- HiFiMAN HE-4 vs. HIFIMAN HE-400 Last post on 12/9/13 at 7:23pm in Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
Last edited: 6/30/15
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Ultra-High-End Headphones (Summit-Fi))Last edited: 7/28/15
- Headphone ImpedanceLast edited: 8/18/12
- Buying Guide Headphones By Price RangeLast edited: 10/26/12
- A Hopefully Helpful Headphone Buying Guide For Newbies By BoomanaLast edited: 1/6/13
At the time of the review, the Venture Electronics Zen was on sale on the company’s Aliexpress store. Here is a link to their listing of the...
Lumia 640 LTE I never owned a portable device (apart from a Sony Walkman in the 80's) because I never felt the use of it. Just out of curiosity, not expecting much, I plugged my Sony MDR-Z7 in my...
MEElectronics/MEEaudio Introduction My experience with IEMs is short lived, but I've had fair enough experience to give you proper detailing. I mainly use detachable only, and can report from...
Introduction In audio circles, the word "endgame" generally refers to a headphone or audio chain component that is practically without fault, and performs at a high enough level to...
Would never dreamed of buying a pair of Beats but end up finding a pair for a rock bottom price(1/3 of the normal retail) so I thought what the heck. Just a side note, since they were...
Hifiman HE-4 Impressions Thread - Page 74
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #1097 of 35621/1/14 at 7:46amQuote:
Well that's what I am wondering. The thing is that the "sibilance" hiss was not apparent when I was powering the HE-4 with the STX, and it was not in your face with the AKG K712Pro. Now it is there and tires out my ears faster.post #1098 of 35621/1/14 at 8:30ampost #1099 of 35621/1/14 at 9:18amQuote:
I believe the most apparent spike in treble is in around 10-11 kHz. At least from my experimenting, I think that's where the sibilant S's are augmented.post #1100 of 35621/1/14 at 9:49amQuote:Quote:
Thanks guys, I reduced a few dBs in the 8-11kHz to where the drums sounded the most natural and it helped.post #1101 of 35621/1/14 at 6:12pmpost #1102 of 35621/2/14 at 6:17am
Hmmm. Interesting development. My HE-4s apparently have an even newer revision of the dampening scheme. The materials are different, black instead of white, and now there is a little behind the cup as well as on the insidepost #1103 of 35621/2/14 at 6:34amQuote:
Or, how about Gungnir to Emotiva to HE 4 ? 😄post #1104 of 35621/2/14 at 11:05amQuote:
This is rather interesting. When and where did you buy them? Can you post a pic or two?post #1105 of 35621/2/14 at 7:02pmShould I take pics of mine? I'd be happy tk for comparisons. The only thing I can tell you for sure is mine have the star felt on the outside. Is that how everyone else's are? And now I'm wondering if this is why rinx7 is experiencing "more" sibilance than most of us.post #1106 of 35621/2/14 at 7:47pmpost #1107 of 35621/2/14 at 7:51pm
Im just stuck in wonderland on this. I KNOW this dac destroyer cant be doing the he4 justice, the e17 had a better dac, but thats gone now. I really think i should just go bifrost uber usb and if i want that tube sound insert the quickie as a pre amp. I doubt the tubemagics dac bests the bifrost. I just really am limited on experience on dacs. But, i believe this here he4 is one of my endgame hps, and i want to scale it up (moderately i only make 55k a year) to get its to its "best".post #1108 of 35621/3/14 at 3:36am
Well I found the culprit to the all the excessive hisses and cause of listening fatigue. It's the emotiva amp. When using the Marantz amp, it's so smooth that I can listen to music hours without my ear drums tiring out. 30 minutes on the emotiva and my ear drums are blasting. Even my denon avr is nice and clean with no listening fatigue. Guess I'll have to sell my emotiva.post #1109 of 35621/3/14 at 4:58amQuote:
That is exactly what mine look like as well.post #1110 of 35621/3/14 at 5:31amQuote:Originally Posted by nos024
Well I found the culprit to the all the excessive hisses and cause of listening fatigue. It's the emotiva amp. When using the Marantz amp, it's so smooth that I can listen to music hours without my ear drums tiring out. 30 minutes on the emotiva and my ear drums are blasting. Even my denon avr is nice and clean with no listening fatigue. Guess I'll have to sell my emotiva.
Interesting. I don't think that I've heard another emotiva owner make this same comment. Possibly the Marantz is just very warm and rolled off in the treble and it makes a good match for the he-4. I've owned one 70's era Marantz and it was certainly warm with dark treble. Not sure though.
- Hifiman HE-4 Impressions Thread
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Ultra-High-End Headphones (Summit-Fi))
- › 🇬🇧 CanJam London 2015 Is Official! August 29-30, 2015! 2 minutes ago
- › The (new) HD800 Impressions Thread 4 minutes ago
- › Official X3 2nd gen beta firmware thread--FW1.11: improved CUE... 4 minutes ago
- › Band Name Game II 5 minutes ago
- › Music Game IX 6 minutes ago
- › Three Word Story 7 minutes ago
- › 2015 Central Florida Summer Meet @ LiveSoundWave Impressions 8 minutes ago
- › Best Smartphone for audiophile 8 minutes ago
- › Music City Meet, 4th Edition -- Nashville, TN -- Fall 2015... 8 minutes ago
- › AURALiC owners unite! 10 minutes ago
- › VE Zen by Hisoundfi
- › Lumia 640 LTE RM-1072 Black - Factory Unlocked - International... by Mink
- › MEElectronics M6 PRO Universal-Fit Noise-Isolating Musician’s... by whitemass
- › Aurisonics Rockets Solo Precision Micro-Dynamic Noise Isolating... by eke2k6
- › Beats Solo HD On-Ear Headphone by Skylarke
- › Heaven VII by peter123
- › Noble Audio BTS by HiFiChris
- › FiiO X5 2nd gen Premium Hi-Res DAP by Cagin
- › Philips Fidelio L2 by White Lotus
- › Etymotic ER-4P Portable In-Ear Earphones by ElMarcado
- › All about iPod Touch 6G as digital transport
- › List of major HiFiMan HE1000 reviews,...
- › Can I change my user name? Can I delete my...
- › Table of Earphocalypse
- › The Great FiiO DAP FAQ Wiki
- › Audio Connections between components --...
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Introduction)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3