The sibilance you are hearing is probably due to mastering if it isn't always there across the board. I have noticed that because of how transparent the HE-4 is you will notice mastering problems much more frequently.
Recent Images In This Thread
- productHE-5LEtagged by System, 12/15/11
- categoryHeadphonestagged by System, 11/10/10
- brandHiFiMANtagged by System, 11/10/10
- productHiFiMAN HE-4tagged by System, 2/2/11
- productHiFiMAN HE-5tagged by System, 8/15/11
- productHiFiMAN HE-6 Planar Headphonetagged by System, 7/19/11
- categoryOver Eartagged by System, 11/10/10
Related Forum Threads
- HE-4 vs. HE-5LE Last post on 2/20/14 at 3:12pm in Introductions, Help and Recommendations
- HiFiMan Introduces New HE-500 Planar Magnetic Headphones Last post on 3/16/13 at 7:43pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Hifiman HE-4/5/6 vs Fischer FA-003? Last post on 3/11/11 at 6:36am in Headphones (full-size)
- Whatever happened to the HiFiMan dynamic headphone? Last post on 8/1/11 at 7:00am in Headphones (full-size)
- HiFiMAN HE-4 vs. HIFIMAN HE-400 Last post on 12/9/13 at 7:23pm in Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
Last edited: 1/18/16
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Ultra-High-End Headphones (Summit-Fi))Last edited: 12/4/15
- Headphone ImpedanceLast edited: 8/18/12
- Buying Guide Headphones By Price RangeLast edited: 10/26/12
- A Hopefully Helpful Headphone Buying Guide For Newbies By BoomanaLast edited: 1/6/13
I've only been in this game since January but have bought a new IEM every month (at pay day obviously). Nothing yet has come close to being my go-to IEM. (I should note...I bought the Titans for...
Nuforce HEM4 – impressions and comparison with HEM2 After listening to the HEM2s recently courtesy of the Nuforce Massdrop, I managed to pick up a pair of the next model in their HEM series (the...
http://www.shozy-hk.com/zero-earphone/ Preamble: I was honored to receive an invitation to join in the Delta test of the pre-production Shozy Zero around April 16th. I received the unit...
Background: I am not an audiophile, I just like to enjoy music in good quality. This writing is more like a collection of subjective experience and impressions rather than a professional review....
Hifiman HE-4 Impressions Thread - Page 74
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #1097 of 38721/1/14 at 7:46amQuote:
Well that's what I am wondering. The thing is that the "sibilance" hiss was not apparent when I was powering the HE-4 with the STX, and it was not in your face with the AKG K712Pro. Now it is there and tires out my ears faster.post #1098 of 38721/1/14 at 8:30ampost #1099 of 38721/1/14 at 9:18amQuote:
I believe the most apparent spike in treble is in around 10-11 kHz. At least from my experimenting, I think that's where the sibilant S's are augmented.post #1100 of 38721/1/14 at 9:49amQuote:Quote:
Thanks guys, I reduced a few dBs in the 8-11kHz to where the drums sounded the most natural and it helped.post #1101 of 38721/1/14 at 6:12pmpost #1102 of 38721/2/14 at 6:17am
Hmmm. Interesting development. My HE-4s apparently have an even newer revision of the dampening scheme. The materials are different, black instead of white, and now there is a little behind the cup as well as on the insidepost #1103 of 38721/2/14 at 6:34amQuote:
Or, how about Gungnir to Emotiva to HE 4 ? 😄post #1104 of 38721/2/14 at 11:05amQuote:
This is rather interesting. When and where did you buy them? Can you post a pic or two?post #1105 of 38721/2/14 at 7:02pmShould I take pics of mine? I'd be happy tk for comparisons. The only thing I can tell you for sure is mine have the star felt on the outside. Is that how everyone else's are? And now I'm wondering if this is why rinx7 is experiencing "more" sibilance than most of us.post #1106 of 38721/2/14 at 7:47pmpost #1107 of 38721/2/14 at 7:51pm
Im just stuck in wonderland on this. I KNOW this dac destroyer cant be doing the he4 justice, the e17 had a better dac, but thats gone now. I really think i should just go bifrost uber usb and if i want that tube sound insert the quickie as a pre amp. I doubt the tubemagics dac bests the bifrost. I just really am limited on experience on dacs. But, i believe this here he4 is one of my endgame hps, and i want to scale it up (moderately i only make 55k a year) to get its to its "best".post #1108 of 38721/3/14 at 3:36am
Well I found the culprit to the all the excessive hisses and cause of listening fatigue. It's the emotiva amp. When using the Marantz amp, it's so smooth that I can listen to music hours without my ear drums tiring out. 30 minutes on the emotiva and my ear drums are blasting. Even my denon avr is nice and clean with no listening fatigue. Guess I'll have to sell my emotiva.post #1109 of 38721/3/14 at 4:58amQuote:
That is exactly what mine look like as well.post #1110 of 38721/3/14 at 5:31amQuote:Originally Posted by nos024
Well I found the culprit to the all the excessive hisses and cause of listening fatigue. It's the emotiva amp. When using the Marantz amp, it's so smooth that I can listen to music hours without my ear drums tiring out. 30 minutes on the emotiva and my ear drums are blasting. Even my denon avr is nice and clean with no listening fatigue. Guess I'll have to sell my emotiva.
Interesting. I don't think that I've heard another emotiva owner make this same comment. Possibly the Marantz is just very warm and rolled off in the treble and it makes a good match for the he-4. I've owned one 70's era Marantz and it was certainly warm with dark treble. Not sure though.
- Hifiman HE-4 Impressions Thread
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Ultra-High-End Headphones (Summit-Fi))
- › Audeze SINE Series 54 seconds ago
- › Schiit Lyr Tube Rollers 1 minute ago
- › Chinese / Asian Brand Info Thread (Headphones, IEMs, Amps, DACs) 2 minutes ago
- › Creative Sound blaster E5 - Headphone amp + USB DAC with OTG +... 2 minutes ago
- › DQSM IEM Impressions / Easy Earphones Impressions 3 minutes ago
- › JH Audio Rosie Impressions Thread 4 minutes ago
- › Feliks-Audio ELISE...New thread. 9 minutes ago
- › Best android music player app? 11 minutes ago
- › KENNERTON VALI - IMPRESSIONS, DISCUSSION, TOUR 13 minutes ago
- › iFi iDSD Micro DSD512 / PCM768 DAC and Headphone Amp. Impressions,... 13 minutes ago
- › Dunu TITAN 1 — titanium-coated diaphragm earphones by harry501501
- › TFZ Series 1 by TwinACStacks
- › NuForce HEM4 Reference Class Hi-Res In-Ear Headphones with Dual... by Jackpot77
- › SHOZY Zero IEM by TwinACStacks
- › Fostex TH-X00 Massdrop exclusive by bestula
- › Sennheiser HD 700 Headphone by DJ Liquid
- › Rockit Sounds R-50 by puccipaolo
- › Cavalli Audio Liquid Carbon by Aornic
- › oBravo EAMT-3w Hybrid Dynamic Driver and Heil Air Motion Transducer... by glassmonkey
- › T-PEOS RASIEL by faithguy19
- › Flawless Album Suggestions
- › The Audiophile Scene in a Third World Country...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide:...
- › Chord Mojo FAQ
- › Head-Fi Logo Gear
- › All about iPod Touch 6G as digital transport
- › List of major HiFiMan HE1000 reviews,...
- › Can I change my user name? Can I delete my...