Forgot to add a thank you to the community. Love, and also, hate this place...haha
Recent Images In This Thread
- productHE-5LEtagged by System, 12/15/11
- categoryHeadphonestagged by System, 11/10/10
- brandHiFiMANtagged by System, 11/10/10
- productHiFiMAN HE-4tagged by System, 2/2/11
- productHiFiMAN HE-5tagged by System, 8/15/11
- productHiFiMAN HE-6 Planar Headphonetagged by System, 7/19/11
- categoryOver Eartagged by System, 11/10/10
Related Forum Threads
- HE-4 vs. HE-5LE Last post on 2/20/14 at 3:12pm in Introductions, Help and Recommendations
- HiFiMan Introduces New HE-500 Planar Magnetic Headphones Last post on 3/16/13 at 7:43pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Hifiman HE-4/5/6 vs Fischer FA-003? Last post on 3/11/11 at 6:36am in Headphones (full-size)
- Whatever happened to the HiFiMan dynamic headphone? Last post on 8/1/11 at 7:00am in Headphones (full-size)
- HiFiMAN HE-4 vs. HIFIMAN HE-400 Last post on 12/9/13 at 7:23pm in Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
Last edited: 12/5/16
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3Last edited: 11/28/16
- Headphone ImpedanceLast edited: 8/18/12
- Buying Guide Headphones By Price RangeLast edited: 10/26/12
- A Hopefully Helpful Headphone Buying Guide For Newbies By BoomanaLast edited: 1/6/13
Introduction With thanks to my esteemed colleague and front page superstar @glassmonkey for fronting this review spectacular. 3 cheers also go out to Iain and the rest of the RHA team for...
Thanks go to earphonia.com who were pleased to let me give the excellently valued Co-Donguri earphone a spin. Pairings Equipment Hidizs AP60 Chord Mojo Dac Intro My second IEM...
Kaiser Encore: Early impressions Please note: This review is posted only so I could share my (very) early impressions, as I know many are eager to hear about the latest Noble (co-) flagship....
Note: I have previously reviewed the K10 from Noble, where I covered much of Noble’s history and order process. For this reason, I will use some of the portions of that review that pertain to Noble...
Founded in 2014 in Guangzhou, China, Shinrico is a company focused on digital electronic products in the field of high-tech enterprises. Recently I reviewed their excellent D3S Digital...
Hifiman HE-4 Impressions Thread - Page 70post #1036 of 391712/16/13 at 8:02pm
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #1037 of 391712/17/13 at 4:22am
^^ It's nice to see the small resurgence for the he-4. With the right amp the wolf comes out of the sheep's clothing.
If HFM does not come out with a new full sized ortho in 2014, the he-4 could continue to make a comeback. This hp can be somewhat temperamental but on the right gear it's an exotic sports car.post #1038 of 391712/17/13 at 5:10am
hemi, I think you're on the right track with your DAC options. I recently got the Bifrost Uber (limited edition black powder coated ) and it blows away my E17. Significantly cleaner sounding for sure. I was in the same spot as you, wanting to upgrade my DAC and never have to do it again. I think I successfully did that. Between the Bifrost and my D1, the D1 was more aggressive and grainier sounding. The Bifrost isn't as edgy, but it is considerably more detailed. Plus, it looks awesome in blackpost #1039 of 391712/17/13 at 5:25ampost #1040 of 391712/17/13 at 6:06amQuote:Originally Posted by Thujone
hemi, I think you're on the right track with your DAC options. I recently got the Bifrost Uber (limited edition black powder coated ) and it blows away my E17. Significantly cleaner sounding for sure. I was in the same spot as you, wanting to upgrade my DAC and never have to do it again. I think I successfully did that. Between the Bifrost and my D1, the D1 was more aggressive and grainier sounding. The Bifrost isn't as edgy, but it is considerably more detailed. Plus, it looks awesome in black
Pictures?post #1041 of 391712/17/13 at 6:17ampost #1042 of 391712/17/13 at 6:18ampost #1043 of 391712/17/13 at 6:20ampost #1044 of 391712/17/13 at 6:53ampost #1045 of 391712/17/13 at 3:45pmIf I could just find a black bifrost for $275 used somewhere....otherwise it'll probably have to be the tubemagic d2, the black uber upgraded is 519...a little to rich for my blood for now.post #1046 of 391712/17/13 at 5:00pmpost #1047 of 391712/17/13 at 5:33pm
As with MattTCG, I love that the HE-4 is getting some more attention. There were some requests to post pics of the wood cups installed over on the post where I purchased them but nothing keeps posts alive like pics so here are a couple more of my woodied HE-4's.
Once again excuse the quality, it's my phone. Also, if you noticed, I recently switched back to the velour pads after using the Alpha's for about 2 weeks. The sound may be a bit fuller but in my opinion I wouldn't say the velours have more bass impact but remember I am using a vintage amp via speaker taps, so gobs of power.
ab111post #1048 of 391712/17/13 at 5:38pmpost #1049 of 391712/17/13 at 5:53pm
Those look awesome! Did you remove some of the felt under the grill? Mine look different...
Yeah, the Alphas aren't a bad choice at all. Just a bit thinner than I would like. I did my listening from a speaker amp as well.post #1050 of 391712/17/13 at 5:59pmQuote:
Not too sure about the felt, I bought these used off of another head-fier, but it definitely does not have the felt like you have. The felt on mine is only on the outside circling the driver. I also removed the material against the grill. I heard someone else do it on the grill mod thread so I tried the same with positive results. Extremely minor difference than the very wide open custom grill that I have and a nice increase in openness over stock.
- Hifiman HE-4 Impressions Thread
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3
- › AKG K7-series SPC Custom made cables 57 seconds ago
- › Looking for a DAC/AMP/Speaker AMP + sub out 1 minute ago
- › Audeze SINE Series 1 minute ago
- › What a long, strange trip it's been -- (Robert Hunter) 2 minutes ago
- › 64 Audio | apex | tia - NEW Products + Flagship Upgrade Program! 3 minutes ago
- › Formula 1-fi (Read the First Post!) 4 minutes ago
- › Audeze LCD-4 6 minutes ago
- › Sennheiser x Massdrop HD6XX Review / Preview - Head-Fi TV 8 minutes ago
- › Schiit Yggdrasil DAC Immaculate less than 200 hours use for local... 9 minutes ago
- › Under £150 Over-ear Headphones - Audio Technica M50X(Matte Grey) vs... 9 minutes ago
- › RHA CL750 by Takeanidea
- › Ocharaku Co-Donguri IEM by Takeanidea
- › Noble Audio Kaiser Encore by Sorensiim
- › Noble Audio Katana by cvbcbcmv
- › Shinrico E11 Portable Headphone Amplifier by crabdog
- › FiiO A5 Portable Headphone Amplifier by Brooko
- › 1MORE Triple Driver In-Ear Headphones with In-line Microphone and... by HiFiChris
- › FiiO EM3 Open Earbud Earphones with In-Line Microphone (Black) by Joeng Zeon
- › AKG K3003 by sanjeewasam
- › Sony MDRNC8/BLK Noise Canceling Headphone, Black by dalesky
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Travel Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (CanJams)
- › FiiO X3II DAP firmwares with custom themes
- › Flawless Album Suggestions
- › The Audiophile Scene in a Third World Country...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide:...
- › Chord Mojo FAQ
- › Head-Fi Logo Gear