The lyr is a special amp IMO...with or without "perfect" tubes. But when it comes to driving and pairing with hp's like the he-4 and he-6, I'd take an old Pioneer over the lyr every time. I have the sx890/1050/1280. Even the sx890 outclassed the lyr on the he4.
Recent Images In This Thread
- productHE-5LEtagged by System, 12/15/11
- categoryHeadphonestagged by System, 11/10/10
- brandHiFiMANtagged by System, 11/10/10
- productHiFiMAN HE-4tagged by System, 2/2/11
- productHiFiMAN HE-5tagged by System, 8/15/11
- productHiFiMAN HE-6 Planar Headphonetagged by System, 7/19/11
- categoryOver Eartagged by System, 11/10/10
Related Forum Threads
- HE-4 vs. HE-5LE Last post on 2/20/14 at 3:12pm in Introductions, Help and Recommendations
- HiFiMan Introduces New HE-500 Planar Magnetic Headphones Last post on 3/16/13 at 7:43pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Hifiman HE-4/5/6 vs Fischer FA-003? Last post on 3/11/11 at 6:36am in Headphones (full-size)
- Whatever happened to the HiFiMan dynamic headphone? Last post on 8/1/11 at 7:00am in Headphones (full-size)
- HiFiMAN HE-4 vs. HIFIMAN HE-400 Last post on 12/9/13 at 7:23pm in Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
Last edited: 2/13/17
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3Last edited: 11/28/16
- Headphone ImpedanceLast edited: 8/18/12
- Buying Guide Headphones By Price RangeLast edited: 10/26/12
- A Hopefully Helpful Headphone Buying Guide For Newbies By BoomanaLast edited: 1/6/13
I bought these headphones about year ago (I use them almost everyday), as an upgrade from my g430s when the cable finally wore out. In some cases (only some cases) I think the sound quality might...
Introduction Sennheiser HD650 is one of the (seemingly) consecrated headphones made by Sennheiser as an upgrade (update?) to their well received model, HD600. HD600 has been...
I finally took the plunge and got these. It's amazing how TOTL IEMS can sound so different. Bass: Tight and full. Tip dependent. With the triple flanges thought my head was going to blow off. I...
The original iDSD Micro stood out from the competition as an all-in-one replacement for the most discerning listeners' setups. The original iDSD Micro delivered - I had one, but as I started to not...
Dynamic headphones by the primarily planar producing HiFiman, very good value(especially if you live in america). Detailed and strong treble, decent mids and midbass yet a little light on lower...
Hifiman HE-4 Impressions Thread - Page 69post #1021 of 393012/11/13 at 12:04pm
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #1022 of 393012/11/13 at 4:11pmExactly as MattTCG says I'm not saying the Lyr is a bad headphone amp (maybe it sounds like it from my posts but that's strickly with the He-4) just not ideal with the HE-4. My pioneer is the 680 so a couple of models below Matt's but WOW.
As you can see in the pic the Lyr is still in my setup, just not used ATM. I can't put myself to selling it for when I get other headphones, because let's be honest 1 (I guess in my case, 2 isn't enough)
ab111post #1023 of 393012/13/13 at 7:00pm
my brains thinking again, which is never a good thing. A while back, i left my shure 840 pads streched on the hifiman rings, and they actually ended up being a good fit, a little small, but not bad. Heres the inquiry, those new shure 1540 alcantra pads....what would they sound/feel like? My whole issue is driver distancemay be to close to the ear. I think i want the alpha pds though, as they look so comfy, and i want a mad dog anyways so, here comes more overtime. But wouldnt the alphas put your ears around a half inch further? New years day is double time and a half!
Edited by hemipowered007 - 12/13/13 at 7:02pmpost #1024 of 393012/13/13 at 8:55pmpost #1025 of 393012/14/13 at 1:05am
Please, let me know of your impressions with the Alpha Pads. TBH, I don't think I have heard a positive review of the Alpha's with HiFiMan's but I don't think anyone has posted any impressions of the Alpha Pads specifically with the HE-4 other than myself. I would definitely like to know what other people think other than my own impression.
ab111post #1026 of 393012/14/13 at 5:43ampost #1027 of 393012/14/13 at 6:10am
I really didn't like them on the HE-400. It just sounded super hollow.
Listening to the Alphas right now. Not having the same problem that I had with the HE-400's, but they sound a bit thinner than the velours. I'm not getting the bass that I get with the velours in terms of impact and quantity. Other than that though, they actually sound pretty good. They obviously add a bit more soundstage width and I'm not getting the hollowness that I normally get from Alphas which is a nice change. Ultimately though, I wouldn't be able to do this for too long since I need DAT BASS ATTACK. I like getting punched in the head (at reasonable listening volumes of course ).
Let's just say "I'm surprised it doesn't suck". Switching back to velours now...post #1028 of 393012/14/13 at 7:10amI really wish those alphas would work, partly for looks alone tbh. I know someone jerg modded them, but I'm not willing to pay $60 then cut holes in those beauties to test that out. I'm also guessing it wouldn't change their inherent flaws with hfms. Oh well.post #1029 of 393012/14/13 at 7:16am
They work well with the HE-4, just not my cup of tea. If you prefer their signature, I couldn't blame you. Putting them on the HE-400 though, I would blame you . You could probably use a bit of a bass boost and end up with a similar signature to the velours and keep the comfort of the Alphas (and the wider stage).
Yeah, hans was pretty ballsy with cutting holes in his pair! I don't think anyone is going to follow suit any time soon with that.post #1030 of 393012/14/13 at 7:28ampost #1031 of 393012/14/13 at 7:51ampost #1032 of 393012/14/13 at 8:10amQuote:
Yeah. They just seem to thin out the signature a bit. The highs may be a touch more prominent though.Quote:
I think that would be a really good thing to try... Don't have any of those pads on hand though.post #1033 of 393012/14/13 at 10:34ampost #1034 of 393012/15/13 at 12:27pm
I had a loaned pair of HE-4 during few days and I really loved this headphone. I like clarity , fastness and overall sound signature. A bit too much treble but nothing bad for my tastes. How does the HE-4 compare to HE5-LE and HE-6 ? very far or quite close ?
I'm considering to sell my HD800 for financial considerations and this HE-4 is a good option for my tastes :)post #1035 of 393012/16/13 at 8:01pm
alright fellow he4 lovers and advocates of its greatness!!! So, i managed to temp fix my pioneer enough to where i dont even know if i want to do anymore cap and resistor replacing. I had my eye on the mini-x, but since i dont really see "needing" it at this point, im concentrating on the source aspect. So, (and this is all based off me being able to afford something after an xmas trip to oregon and no overtime at work), i really want to upgrade my dac. Now, i have asked before, and im coming from a 40 dollar dac destroyer, and have only heard an e17 beyond that. Heres my ordeal, theres so many choices, and im really trying to reach that end-gamish point, but not beyond, lets say 400. The upgraded maverick tubemagic d2 still stands as a frontrunner, but then theres the emotiva xda-2, the grant fidelity tubedacs, and their knockoffs by xiangsheng, as well as the ever popular bifrost, and audio gd dacs. I really hate continously clogging this thread with my questions, but im just stuck now deciding, i had my eyes locked on the d2, but just dont know if something else under 400 would be really noticeably better than the others. Keep in mind, this will be for the he4 and probably a mad dog 3.2 and further down an alpha dog transformation. And that is ALL for me, no other hps. just orthos, just those 2, and ill keep my iems for portables.
- Hifiman HE-4 Impressions Thread
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Newbie here. 1 minute ago
- › Music Game IX 1 minute ago
- › Schiit Jotunheim Review / Preview - Head-Fi TV 1 minute ago
- › Chord Electronics - Hugo 2 - The Official Thread 1 minute ago
- › Band Name Game II 2 minutes ago
- › New here, looking for headphone advice. 2 minutes ago
- › Three Word Story 2 minutes ago
- › Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up 3 minutes ago
- › FLC Technology FLC8 and FLC8s Impressions Thread 4 minutes ago
- › HD 558 vs HD 598 Soundstage 5 minutes ago
- › Logitech Wireless Gaming Headset G930 with 7.1 Surround Sound by jimtree
- › Sennheiser HD 650 Headphones by Dobrescu George
- › Shure SE846 Sound Isolating™ Earphone by anqallyt
- › iFi Audio micro iDSD by vapman
- › Massdrop x HIFIMAN HE350 by machielsste
- › Sennheiser Momentum In Ear (iOS version) - Black Chrome by HiWire
- › Fiio F1 Dynamic In-ear Monitors by Brooko
- › ENIGMAcoustics Dharma D1000 by geoffalter11
- › Emotiva Stealth DC-1 | Balanced 24/192 Fully Differential DAC by audiobean
- › Sennheiser HD 380 PRO Headphones by Dobrescu George
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Travel Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (CanJams)
- › FiiO X3II DAP firmwares with custom themes
- › Flawless Album Suggestions
- › The Audiophile Scene in a Third World Country...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide:...
- › Chord Mojo FAQ
- › Head-Fi Logo Gear