Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphone Amps (full-size) › Little Dot MK VI / Little Dot MK VIII SE Owners Unite
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Little Dot MK VI / Little Dot MK VIII SE Owners Unite - Page 51

post #751 of 1302

Wow, a few from Melbourne that own a MK6! I don't live in Melbourne anymore (an absolute shame).  

 

Anyway, been doing some shopping and so far I manage to convince myself to pick up a set of quad 7236s, xlr interconnects, some aftermarket cooling fans and hopefully some Ken Rad Vt-231s when they become available at a good price.  I will be ordering the amp in start of dec as I will be going overseas till then.  

post #752 of 1302
Quote:
Originally Posted by khaine1711 View Post
 

 

Depending on the implementation of the preamp, Kingwa's in particular is pretty darn transparent I must say. Also I thought you're getting the mk6; if you get the mk8se there'll be no problem since its power output is much less than its mk6 siblings. Always use the balance out though, the SE output is likely only getting signal from half the amp.

 

"Solid state" like tube isn't cheap though. My Telefunken and Amperex are among the most expensive in my collections. But if you want the clarity for dirt cheap, you can try some Genalex re-issue 12AT7

 

If you're getting a mk8se, why not get a Hd800 though (instead of the hifiman orthos)...

 

Well I have about $166 to spend on tubes, so I would not mind some Telefunken or Tung Sol [I hear those are airy as well]

 
and I do not WANT a HD 800... HELL NO, not right now. I don't want to get into HIFI cans until I get an amp to drive them [getting my solid state sometime this week, then my Tube the MKVIISE later] 
 
And still I assume the Audio GDES2 with like 6w into 50ohms it should be able to drive most anything I throw at it, that said I want the Balanced tube for my Balanced Beyers or what ever else I might want to  have for a tube amp. And atm the moment the only headphones I MIGHT want a tube for are my Beyers, my dt 880 is already balanced, and the T90 I will balance when I go to buy it. [i have a 4pin XLR to 6.5mm adapter as well] and good point about using the Balanced out, although I'm wondering if I'll keep or sell my DT 990... I might sell it and get a Balanced 600 ohm actually, 
post #753 of 1302
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mshenay View Post
 

 

Well I have about $166 to spend on tubes, so I would not mind some Telefunken or Tung Sol [I hear those are airy as well]

 
and I do not WANT a HD 800... HELL NO, not right now. I don't want to get into HIFI cans until I get an amp to drive them [getting my solid state sometime this week, then my Tube the MKVIISE later] 
 

TFK has great clarity - might be even a touch too bright for many people. Tung-sol has great drive and impact - more fun sounding than TFK. Those are my impression with several tube pre-amps - and might not necessarily translate to the MkVIIIse; though in my experience, those 12xx7 tubes don't change characteristic much with different circuit. 

 

I do think Telefunkens (and Amperex Bulge Boys) are way too overpriced these days. I love those tubes for their ... historic (bragging) values and collection purpose, but to be honest you'll be happier with several pair of other tubes rather than a nib pair of TFK. You should check with David if the mk8se can safely use 5751 - if the answer is yes then get a few pairs of good 5751 (they're darned cheap) and be happy for a while ;)

 

To be honest if you're getting the mkVIIIse, just get a hd800 (and sell a few Beyers). As much of a Beyer fan I am, I do not feel anything that Beyer currently (and in the past) produces can even touch the Hd800. And it's not like the mk8se isn't "proper" for the Hd800. It's not the best for sure, but aint crap either.

post #754 of 1302
Quote:
Originally Posted by khaine1711 View Post
 

TFK has great clarity - might be even a touch too bright for many people. Tung-sol has great drive and impact - more fun sounding than TFK. Those are my impression with several tube pre-amps - and might not necessarily translate to the MkVIIIse; though in my experience, those 12xx7 tubes don't change characteristic much with different circuit. 

 

I do think Telefunkens (and Amperex Bulge Boys) are way too overpriced these days. I love those tubes for their ... historic (bragging) values and collection purpose, but to be honest you'll be happier with several pair of other tubes rather than a nib pair of TFK. You should check with David if the mk8se can safely use 5751 - if the answer is yes then get a few pairs of good 5751 (they're darned cheap) and be happy for a while ;)

 

To be honest if you're getting the mkVIIIse, just get a hd800 (and sell a few Beyers). As much of a Beyer fan I am, I do not feel anything that Beyer currently (and in the past) produces can even touch the Hd800. And it's not like the mk8se isn't "proper" for the Hd800. It's not the best for sure, but aint crap either.

 

But I don't want an HD 800... not yet -.- I'll grab an HE 6 before I touch a sennhesier 

post #755 of 1302
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mshenay View Post
 

 

But I don't want an HD 800... not yet -.- I'll grab an HE 6 before I touch a sennhesier 

 

Well, the Mk8se probably won't play nice with the He-6. But then you can just grab a vintage receiver to power it. Probably cheaper than say rolling 4 supertubes in the Mk8se =p

 

Usually I advise people to get headphones first, then suitable amp later on. But in your case, since you're getting an amp first - why not get headphones that play to its strength (first)?

 

My train of thoughts is like what would people do with 3 high impedance - bright cans (dt880, dt990, t90) - why not just get a best bright can that is also high impedance (hd800) which also plays nice with the (planned) amp :D 

post #756 of 1302
Quote:
Originally Posted by khaine1711 View Post
 

 

Well, the Mk8se probably won't play nice with the He-6. But then you can just grab a vintage receiver to power it. Probably cheaper than say rolling 4 supertubes in the Mk8se =p

 

Usually I advise people to get headphones first, then suitable amp later on. But in your case, since you're getting an amp first - why not get headphones that play to its strength (first)?

 

My train of thoughts is like what would people do with 3 high impedance - bright cans (dt880, dt990, t90) - why not just get a best bright can that is also high impedance (hd800) which also plays nice with the (planned) amp :D 

 

I just happen to hate Senn Hesier and thier ugly Headphones :3 T1 and T90 for EVER 

 

but I have teh can, my Dt 880 and maybe my 990 needs a tube, I don't want to just "GET" the HD 800... I would rather get something that's just as good, even if it means a LOT of waiting and trying and buying and re buying... I don't want to just GIVE up and get the HD 800... that's too easy. I'd rather fight an moan to find something better than the T1 when I Do get it. 

 

Also Holy Beyers!  My Dt 880s sound so NICE with the my Pb1 and EDM. did a slight Sub Bass Boost and DAMN THAT BASS 

 

Looking forward to running beyers for EVER thank you :3 I'll get the T1 at some point and then mod it to be as epic as the HD 800 ^^ anything to never own a sennhesier! 

 

Also I would sell off my Dt 880 and DT 990 assuming the T90 does better than both, and it should. Although I'd have to keep the T90 for it's low impedance, as the Hm 801 should drive it like magic 


Edited by Mshenay - 9/20/13 at 6:40am
post #757 of 1302
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mshenay View Post
 

 

I just happen to hate Senn Hesier and thier ugly Headphones :3 T1 and T90 for EVER

 

I'm with you there! You could do a lot worse than finish off with the T1. Regarding the Sennys vv the HE-6's the argument really is between soundstage vv immediacy, personally I love the latter that's why I've got the HE-500's and am really happy about that, for the emotional involvement in the music. You still get a good sense of where the instruments are coming from. And Tungsols, also my fav tube, are airy but that's not how I would describe their main characteristic which is a silky smoothness that is great for long headphone sessions but possibly lacks the impact of the live performance, but I still love their magical quality. Another tube which springs to mind with solid state qualities is the Sylvania which you might also consider.

 

Good to hear of your forays into tube amps, it brings back the excitement we all had when we got our first LD too!

post #758 of 1302
Quote:
Originally Posted by baronbeehive View Post
 

I'm with you there! You could do a lot worse than finish off with the T1. Regarding the Sennys vv the HE-6's the argument really is between soundstage vv immediacy, personally I love the latter that's why I've got the HE-500's and am really happy about that, for the emotional involvement in the music. You still get a good sense of where the instruments are coming from. And Tungsols, also my fav tube, are airy but that's not how I would describe their main characteristic which is a silky smoothness that is great for long headphone sessions but possibly lacks the impact of the live performance, but I still love their magical quality. Another tube which springs to mind with solid state qualities is the Sylvania which you might also consider.

 

Good to hear of your forays into tube amps, it brings back the excitement we all had when we got our first LD too!

 

xD thanks, and if you can belive it I hear the HE 6 have SUPER upgraded sound to my W1000x [which is modded] and i love how intimate the sound of the W1000x but it ofc has it's limits.

 
Still the T1 is't bad and we should see some new Flag Ships showing up soon, 
post #759 of 1302

The T1 has more design flaws than it's good points so I don't think it will improve much even with modding if you want to retain the original sound signature. I'am one of the rare few that actually think the T1 sounds ok. But it is far from being in the same league as the HD800 which is the best dynamic headphone ever made, if you exclude the R10 and Qualia which have issues of it's own as well.


Edited by DefQon - 9/20/13 at 10:36pm
post #760 of 1302
Quote:
Originally Posted by DefQon View Post

The T1 has more design flaws than it's good points so I don't think it will improve much even with modding if you want to retain the original sound signature. I'am one of the rare few that actually think the T1 sounds ok. But it is far from being in the same league as the HD800 which is the best dynamic headphone ever made, if you exclude the R10 and Qualia which have issues of it's own as well.

damn... its soo ugly though the HD 800 , some one need to make a competitor already q.q
post #761 of 1302
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mshenay View Post


damn... its soo ugly though the HD 800 , some one need to make a competitor already q.q

 

I think the HD800 looks fine it won't win a Grammy Award in looks but it has a sense of modernized futurism to it. 

 
Personally I like wooden headphones or piano black finished touch headphones. Silver and grey is just too overdone nowadays. 
post #762 of 1302
Quote:
Originally Posted by DefQon View Post

I think the HD800 looks fine it won't win a Grammy Award in looks but it has a sense of modernized futurism to it. 
 
Personally I like wooden headphones or piano black finished touch headphones. Silver and grey is just too overdone nowadays. 

There is a thought... a wooden open back with Hd8 detail oh wait thats the he 6 sound :3

Still the Auido Gd 10es2 should drive he 6

n I might own the hd 800... but it will b the only senn ill own... eva
post #763 of 1302
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mshenay View Post


There is a thought... a wooden open back with Hd8 detail oh wait thats the he 6 sound :3

Still the Auido Gd 10es2 should drive he 6

n I might own the hd 800... but it will b the only senn ill own... eva

 

Looks like there's only one solution - get both, if only  my wallet would let me!

post #764 of 1302
Quote:
Originally Posted by baronbeehive View Post
 

 

Looks like there's only one solution - get both, if only  my wallet would let me!

 

Well the 10ES2 is barely enough for the HE 6 so scratch that idea

 
still wondering if I should go VI+ or VIII SE, if I want to use them with both 600 ohm and 32 ohm open airs... [thankfully ATH cans can take up to 2w of power b4 u break them, gawd forbid I even forget to turn dwn the volume and gain b4 swapping into one] 

 

Actually... it seems the LDVI+ comes in silver :O making it sexier than the VIII SE, in addition the VI+ has a gain switch! [The VIII SE does not?] So I think I should just save some stinking money and get the VI+, and not be a moron and buy an amp way to powerful for low impedance cans 


Edited by Mshenay - 9/23/13 at 2:58pm
post #765 of 1302

Did anyone try any of those 2 amps with HD650?

 

I read almost the whole thread now and there was sparring mention of the headphone, but no impressions at all.

 

I'm really tempted to get one of them, (leaning toward the VI+, for some reason, though the VIII-SE is supposed to better with the Senns (am I even right?))

but I'm worried because the 650 is my only headphone currently.

 

It will stay so for a while too I believe, unless I experience something really impressive, I'm in love with it and totally satisfied (Headphone-wise).

I've tried many headphones from the LCDs to the HE-6...they were all good, but not really worth more than the HD650. Actually I prefer the HD650, personally. So I sold all the others.

Thought it might have been the amps and DACs I had affecting the other headphones, to be fair. They weren't "syncing" very well (future-me, now, realizes!)

 

Anyway, to stop blabbering on...can anyone help me out with any impressions concerning how the HD650 sounds with either amp? or both of course! :)

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphone Amps (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphone Amps (full-size) › Little Dot MK VI / Little Dot MK VIII SE Owners Unite