Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphone Amps (full-size) › Little Dot MK VI / Little Dot MK VIII SE Owners Unite
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Little Dot MK VI / Little Dot MK VIII SE Owners Unite - Page 28

post #406 of 1302

John have you tried the GEC 6as7 yet with the MK6?  since im selling the MK6, I've been trying most of my power tubes and find the GEC throw a very different sound than the Bendix 6080wb.  The Bendix sound has lot more weight to it, also it has tons of bass.  The GEC sounds on the neutral side while the Bendix is warmer.  One thing I like about the GEC is a better soundstage and clearer highs.  What are your current to go driver tubes?

post #407 of 1302
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neogeo333 View Post

But the MK6 is not far behind.  

 

One weird thing I have noticed is my dynamic phones sound better through the MK6, with the Mjolnir it good but not as good as the MK6.  Both are killers with orthos. 

 

 

This is kind of confusing.  You say the LD 6+ is not far behind.  But then you say the MJ is good but not as good as the LD 6+. 

 

Which one do you prefer?

 

Sounds like you like the LD 6+ better than the Lyr - correct?


Edited by preproman - 10/19/12 at 12:23am
post #408 of 1302
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neogeo333 View Post

Normally when I listen to concerts it better portrayed by the Mjolnir, Most of the live concert music i have are not that good recorded and the warm sounding MK6 makes it muddy in some way.  The Mjolnir is easier to listen to when recordings arent that great.  Its not that the MK6 has better detail retrieval, the opposite, the Mjolnir has better detail but what im tying to say is bad recordings are easier on my hears with the Mjolnir.  I hate to part with these two wonderful amps but that Cavalli Liquid Glass is whispering at my hears and all my driver tubes are rising from the dead waiting to welcome it.  Damn you Headfi. 

This is confusing to me. An amp that has better detail usually makes bad recordings more worse than am amp with lesser detail in my experience. Good luck on getting the Cavalli Liquid Glass and I already stated my opinion on it. smile.gif

post #409 of 1302
Quote:
Originally Posted by john57 View Post

This is confusing to me. An amp that has better detail usually makes bad recordings more worse than am amp with lesser detail in my experience. Good luck on getting the Cavalli Liquid Glass and I already stated my opinion on it. smile.gif

I agree, usually the tube experience is able to cope better with bad recordings precisely because it doesn't highlight poorly produced music and that is another reason I like the mkvi because I can still enjoy all my older recordings and lower bitrate music. I agree however that live recordings are a special case and if poorly produced they do sound muddy, and there are reverbs etc to cope with, maybe the ss amp is better able to cut through the muddiness  somehow, I'm just speculating. But my view on the difference between the amps is that traditionally ss amps are better able to bring out extreme detail in base and treble while the mid range, eg vocals are best handled by tubes which can really bring music to life, I call it the spine tingling factor which you don't get simply be ever more detail retrieval. I still think ss amps can give  better extreme base response for example but tubes are not far behind. Some would say that the ability to reproduce the dynamic changes in music extremely fast such as ss amps do is slightly artificial however. I prefer the slightly slower, though more natural response of tubes, but I know others may disagree. But regarding the concert experience just listen to Patricia Barber - Live A Fortnight In France, or Genesis - Live Over Europe, or Supertramp - Live In Paris, or any number of other superbly recorded live concerts to really appreciate them. I prefer such recordings to their studio counterparts usually.

post #410 of 1302
Quote:
Originally Posted by preproman View Post

 

This is kind of confusing.  You say the LD 6+ is not far behind.  But then you say the MJ is good but not as good as the LD 6+. 

 

Which one do you prefer?

 

Sounds like you like the LD 6+ better than the Lyr - correct?


With the orthos the MJ wins, because it can control the orthos better, the slam and bass is more tightly pronounce.  But with dynamic headphones I prefer the MK6 because its more musical to my hears.  I have recently decided to sell all my dynamic phones it just cant compete with the orthos. 

post #411 of 1302
Quote:
Originally Posted by preproman View Post

 

This is kind of confusing.  You say the LD 6+ is not far behind.  But then you say the MJ is good but not as good as the LD 6+. 

 

Which one do you prefer?

 

Sounds like you like the LD 6+ better than the Lyr - correct?

 

 I forget who, but some member did an intense comparison of the two and ended up returning the Mjolnir, for the same reason I wasn't fond of it.  The little dot 6 has an incredible musical presentation. everything is wide open and spaced out just right. You can even get a good vertical sense of sound with the right DAC. The Mjolnir tended to put all sounds into three places: Center, left and right. The Mjolnir is one of the most aggressive amps I have heard, and it definitely has an aggressive sound to it. 

post #412 of 1302
Quote:
Originally Posted by elwappo99 View Post

 

 I forget who, but some member did an intense comparison of the two and ended up returning the Mjolnir, for the same reason I wasn't fond of it.  The little dot 6 has an incredible musical presentation. everything is wide open and spaced out just right. You can even get a good vertical sense of sound with the right DAC. The Mjolnir tended to put all sounds into three places: Center, left and right. The Mjolnir is one of the most aggressive amps I have heard, and it definitely has an aggressive sound to it. 

Bingo, that was the word I was looking for"aggressive".  Some people are used to listen to one amp and when they listen to the Mjolnir it like WOW!!! this amp is the Schiit.  I dont mean to take anything away from it, it is overall very very good amp.  But little by little you get use to it sound signature and you will understand the Mjolnir is sometimes lifeless with certain music.  Jazz for example.  Any other rock,pop,reggae or electronica the MJ shines.

post #413 of 1302

What type of base do your GEC 6AS7 have?

post #414 of 1302

I wonder if john57 could give me some information about voltage doublers and where can I get one? Will they work on mkvi's in general? Thanks.

post #415 of 1302

What DACs are you guys paring with the LD6+?

 

I was wondering if a tube DAC would be to much and muddy the sound?  I don't know I'm just asking.  I was looking the balanced Stockholm DAC:

 

http://dhost.info/mhdtlab/stockholm%20balanced.htm

post #416 of 1302
Quote:
Originally Posted by baronbeehive View Post

I wonder if john57 could give me some information about voltage doublers and where can I get one? Will they work on mkvi's in general? Thanks.

No problen

 

In out of my notes I stated in this thread,  voltage doublers adapters custom built in NC by our very own Member of the Trade on Hi-FI, 2359glenn. Just send him a PM.  While the adpater is big and does not go all the way flush with the socket the pins were long enough to make contact. If you find a issue with that you can use a pair of tube saver sockets which I also have to raise the socket above the brass rings. It is working just great in my setup.

post #417 of 1302

I do find that the LD MK6+ is a bit picky on the DAC being used. I was using the RDL HR-DAC1 until one of the channels blew out. I had another balanced DAC that I was using for a long time but the PS on it gave up. It was flaky to begin with. The RDL seems to be a bit weak driving the LD.   I am currently using the Emotive XDA-1 because it has a strong analog output section. Here is a photo that shows mostly the Emotiva XDA-1 analog output section.   I used to have two tube DACs but only the Sonic Frontiers was any good long before I was using the LD MK6+

 

 

 

The XDA-1 is being discontinued but a new model the XDA-2 is shortly coming into the market.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by preproman View Post

What DACs are you guys paring with the LD6+?

 

I was wondering if a tube DAC would be to much and muddy the sound?  I don't know I'm just asking.  I was looking the balanced Stockholm DAC:

 

http://dhost.info/mhdtlab/stockholm%20balanced.htm

post #418 of 1302

That's funny.  I currently own the XDA-1 as well.  Although I don't like it very much.  Kinda bright and analytical to me opposed to being musical.

post #419 of 1302

Just found out that Little Dot has a new matching DAC III: 

 

 

  

Could be a neat looking stack rolleyes.gif

post #420 of 1302
Quote:
Originally Posted by zenpunk View Post

Just found out that Little Dot has a new matching DAC III: 

 

 

  

Could be a neat looking stack rolleyes.gif

 

 

Been rumored long enough. 

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphone Amps (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphone Amps (full-size) › Little Dot MK VI / Little Dot MK VIII SE Owners Unite