It's interesting how opinions differ on these tubes. I agree they are very mellow but I do not like them for the same reason I did not like the mullards I had with my LD mkiv se, they were very musical and easy to listen to for hours on end but that didn't compensate for the lack of detail, and also that smoothness was not accompanied by any increase in the body of the sound, it was rather like being surrounded in fog, however if others like them that's good. I also don't like Sylviana tubes due to them being rather light and sparky but again I know others do and there are some superb tubes in the Sylvania family. Again Brimars, sound totally unbalanced to me although I can appreciate their good qualities as well they are another tube that's not for me. Tungsols however are musical, detailed but very balanced sounding with a hint of something special as well. Interestingly I can hear the same differences in tube families across tube types as much the same overall sound qualities apply to the tubes I have in my miniwatt amp as well. I don't know why this is but must be something to do with the factories, materials and working practices employed there. Regarding new issue tubes some people regard chinese tubes as being pretty bad for example, others disagree. I found some that I've tried, TJ Full Music, to be good however with the defect that they sound more brittle and the sound does not appear to go very deep in the same way that it does with a good nos tube, also some have commented on the difference between nos TS's and new issue, much like a good wine is matured and only then loses it's bright superficial quality. Some people have noticed this defect with some new issue tubes. I didn't intend to go on about tubes again but ozaudios comment made me think back.
Recent Images In This Thread
Related Forum Threads
- Little Dot MK VI+ with HE orthos? Last post on 2/19/11 at 4:37am in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- Amp for HD800 and sㄐㄜ Last post on 10/19/11 at 12:03am in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- Audio-gd NFB-10SE Thread Last post on 3/2/16 at 7:44am in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- Looking for a balanced tube headamp/preamp Last post on 9/3/11 at 2:48pm in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- T1 + SS amp ? Any good match ? Last post on 1/13/11 at 2:49am in Headphone Amps (full-size)
Head-Fi Buying Guide (Desktop Amps & DACs)
Last edited: 12/6/16
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Desktop Amps & DACs) 2Last edited: 12/16/16
- Diy Beginners GuideLast edited: 7/22/13
- Headphone ImpedanceLast edited: 8/18/12
Shozy has kindly provided me a review unit in exchange for the honest opinion. They are in active use for about 6 months. I should first note that my experience with IEM is a bit limited by now, so...
INTRODUCTION: I would like to thank @Jack Vang of Empire Ears, for the discount on my purchase of the Zeus-XIV-ADEL Custom IEM and for giving me the opportunity to review the IEM. I would also...
This is by far the closest I have come to writing a 5 star review. Of course to get that, I would have to find the holy grail of headphones for me. I had tried the HD558, HD598, HD650, and...
Used Schiit Modi & Magni with car sim racing game with Sennheiser HD 598 headphones. Unfortunately, Modi died after 2+ years. Was hoping Schiit would cover Modi under warranty since it died just 2...
These are *fantastic* for the price. Compared side by side to some old Sennheiser MX500s, that cost at least 4x as much, the Monk+ absolutely wipes the floor - they are hugely superior. Warm...
Little Dot MK VI / Little Dot MK VIII SE Owners Unite - Page 76post #1126 of 23642/1/14 at 6:27am
Head-Fi's Best Sellerspost #1127 of 23642/1/14 at 2:01pmpost #1128 of 23642/1/14 at 2:42pmpost #1129 of 23642/1/14 at 3:17pm
It's here waiting in Sweden! :)
Ah the 650, never heard it sound this good. In balanced mode it beats my Lehmann with ease.
It is really amazing, I got nothing to complain about.post #1130 of 23642/1/14 at 10:39pmpost #1131 of 23642/1/14 at 10:46pmpost #1132 of 23642/1/14 at 10:53pmpost #1133 of 23642/1/14 at 10:56pmpost #1134 of 23642/1/14 at 10:56pmpost #1135 of 23642/1/14 at 11:14pmpost #1136 of 23642/1/14 at 11:20pmpost #1137 of 23642/1/14 at 11:32pm
The MELZ are NOT cheap!
Tube Maze sells pairs for over $150.
They have good reviews, I was looking to see if anyone with a MK VI+ has tried them, do they work well with the Little Dot?post #1138 of 23642/1/14 at 11:35pmpost #1139 of 23642/1/14 at 11:46pm
Those MELZ tubes with holes in the plates were made for the USSR Military- never sold to the public -used for nuclear power plant control systems, and used on the Russian Space Station, and used for guidance systems on missiles. They are considered to be the highest quality tube ever made in the USSR, they were expensive to build, and were only used for special military purposes.
They sell for about $175 for a pair. Often called a 1578 MELZ.
Edited by ozaudios - 2/1/14 at 11:47pm
- Little Dot MK VI / Little Dot MK VIII SE Owners Unite
Head-Fi's Best Sellers
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Desktop Amps & DACs) 2
- › Nobsound NS-08E also know as Nobsound 6J9 hybrid tube amp 9 seconds ago
- › DX200 Details, features and specifications 1st page. 1-17-2017 Now... 46 seconds ago
- › Chinese / Asian Brand Info Thread (Portable Headphones and IEMs) 1 minute ago
- › Hidizs AP60 1 minute ago
- › Schiit Fulla 2 Impressions Thread 1 minute ago
- › Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up 2 minutes ago
- › New Dragonfly Black and Red Discussion 2 minutes ago
- › Studio Monitors for small wedding 3 minutes ago
- › Fender IEM (Aurisonics) Impressions, Reviews & Discussions Thread 3 minutes ago
- › Smyth Research Realiser A16 3 minutes ago
- › SHOZY Zero IEM by mgunin
- › Empire Ears Zeus by EagleWings
- › Sennheiser HD 600 by snapacap
- › Schiit Modi by Tim Updegrove
- › Venture Electronics (VE) Monk+/Monk Plus by spronkey
- › Cayin i5 by glassmonkey
- › iFi Audio micro iDSD by 00lunar
- › 64 Audio U12 Universal In-Ear Monitor by cleg
- › qdc Balanced armature type (BA type) 3SH （QDC-4024） by prismstorm
- › Sangdo Headset Mic for Sony MH EX300AP L36H L36I C6603 LT26II LT28H... by Griffith
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Travel Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (CanJams)
- › FiiO X3II DAP firmwares with custom themes
- › Flawless Album Suggestions
- › The Audiophile Scene in a Third World Country...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide:...
- › Chord Mojo FAQ
- › Head-Fi Logo Gear