- 10 Posts. Joined 5/2013
- Location: Colorado Springs Co.
- Select All Posts By This User
Recent Images In This Thread
- brandFiiOtagged by System, 11/8/10
- productFiiO E7 USB DAC and Portable Headphone Amplifiertagged by System, 11/8/10
- productFiiO E9 Desktop Headphone Amplifier and Dock for E7 USB DACtagged by System, 1/27/11
- categoryHeadphone Amplifierstagged by System, 11/8/10
- productSennheiser HD 515 Headphonestagged by System, 2/2/11
- productSennheiser HD 600tagged by System, 4/22/11
Related Forum Threads
- Burson HA-160D Impressions from the Burson Loaner Program at Headfonia Last post on 8/15/15 at 8:30am in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- Please help me pick an AMP ! Last post on 10/5/12 at 12:57am in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- if someone familiar with hd650+600 and denon please take a look Last post on 9/22/11 at 11:24pm in Headphones (full-size)
- simple fiio e7/e9 question Last post on 2/16/12 at 7:55pm in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- Headphones for Fiio E7 + E9 Last post on 6/14/11 at 4:55pm in Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
Last edited: 1/3/17
- Diy Beginners GuideLast edited: 7/22/13
- Headphone ImpedanceLast edited: 8/18/12
Introduction – Everyone knows earbuds, those cheap, tinny sounding throwaways included with almost every mp3 player. So then, it may come as a surprise that earbuds are making a comeback and not...
The Oriveti BASIC: A dark and inviting entry-level offering into higher level audio BASIC was provided to me free of charge in exchange for feedback and review -- I am in no way affiliated with...
Focal Utopia By: Dillan Archer Photographs by: Regan Hulvey Introduction I have spent the greater part of my evenings the last few days (and this morning) listening and...
I have had 2 pairs and both have stopped working, these aren't professional headphones and I'd stay away from them if you want to keep them longer than a year of professional use. Spend your...
just want to order one and will try the reviews once get it FBA seems be fast waiting
FiiO E9 Review - Page 87post #1291 of 13246/6/13 at 1:56amI'm really enjoying my Fiio E09K Combo with my new Sony MDR-V6 Cans! I prefer the sound quality of the Sony V-6 cans over my Grado's...
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #1292 of 13248/24/13 at 11:06am
I have a E09k, which I use together with a E017. My current headphones are the sennheiser hd558, 598 and 650. The E09k is for the 650, because the other headphone's impedance is too low for the E09k's output impedance.
So far I am happy with my setup; probably because it is the best system that I have had until now, and I do not have nothing better to compare it with.
The question is, is there any improvement done to the E09k, when compared to the old E09?
Danielpost #1293 of 13248/25/13 at 3:46amQuote:Originally Posted by ThaVman
I just got myself a brand new pair of Dt 990's and bought a Asus Xonar Phoebus to go with that. My current Auzentech Bravura died on me so i was in the market for a new soundcard anyway. I was thinking of getting a Fiio E9 to go with that but after some more reading i thought i read that the amp in the phoebus was just about the same as the one in the Fiio E9. Now i am on the fence about getting one cause im not sure if getting one will actually do anything good for my audio. Would getting a E9 improve anything or would i have to get an E7 on top of that to actually notice any difference?
If the specifications of the Phoebus are to be believed, neither the E7 nor the E9 should be really useful to you. At least for the Essence STX (same headphone amplifier chip as the Phoebus, but I do not know if there are any implementation differences), which I have and tested, the E9 would pretty much just duplicate the built-in amplifier.post #1294 of 13248/27/13 at 1:30am
E09K/E17 owner here. Macbook pro with FLAC files-->Amarra-->USB-->E17/E09K-->BD DT-880's in 600 Ohm. The setup is certainly cheap but I'm not complaining, it's been serving me well since one year now and drives my Beyers well, plenty of power on tap, even when listening to classical music (large dynamic range).
As I constantly shift between 2 locations I own 2 cheap desktop amps, one is the FiiO, the other the EHP-O2D Dac/Amp which is in the same price league as the FiiO combo. Have a slight but definite preference for the EHP. With my FiiO setup and headphones on but no music and the volume on high you can hear a background hiss. The same thing when twisting the volume dial. The EHP is dead quiet. Also the docking setup with the E17 is nice for people who want to be able to take the E17 only with them but that doesn't play in my case and I find the combo a bit of a pain as far as ease of operation is concerned.
One potentially serious disadvantage of the E09K is that it has an output impedance of 10 Ohm so connecting cans with a <80-100 Ohm impedance is a definite no go. I listen exclusively to classical music, with the volume on my mac maxed out and amp gain off I usually listen with the dial at 11-12 'o clock, plenty loud enough for me.post #1295 of 13248/27/13 at 5:51am
The other E09K thread seems a bit dead and FiiO are impossible to get a reply from it seems! So I'm in need of some help if anyone is kind enough to give it, I'm looking to find out for certain what the specs are on the E09K pre-outs? They don't mention the specs in the manual and all I can seem to find is that they are 0-6v RMS adjustable mentioned on a retailer's website, but that's not confirmed by FiiO anywhere.
Thank you! :)post #1296 of 13241/16/14 at 12:06am
Bit late to the party. I just got one of these for $50, i had an old E7 i was using also (for pc) so thought what the heck and grabbed an E9.
WOW. This thing has made everything sound better (im talking better than PC>E7>headphones). Im going the USBDAC route through Win8 PC. Although no bassboost I have easily circumnavigated that issue by either tweaking foobar eq or tinkering the USB settings (u can bass boost from within there).
Well worth the $50 I paid for it. My E7 is kinda on it's last legs, its screen is kinda buggy now, but after getting this E9, if the E7 failed I'd replace it, that's how good it sounds.
Oh I'm using Superlux HD 668B cans and actually finally being properly driven xD
Now to find a mod to make them comfier..post #1297 of 13241/18/14 at 6:28ampost #1298 of 13241/19/14 at 5:01amThread Starter
well there is no such thing as correct settings.
the E7's settings shouldnt make any difference to anything. as for gain, just pick which you prefer but for the 600's you prob do want highpost #1299 of 13241/19/14 at 5:38ampost #1300 of 13241/19/14 at 10:59am
I take it yer going USB DAC route? If so I don't think it matters what settings the E7 is at. Adjusting volume, Bass etc does nothing on my E7 when its docked into E9 via USB DAC. I'm driving Superlux HD668b cans and felt I needed more gain so I have that switched on.post #1301 of 13241/19/14 at 11:33ampost #1302 of 13241/19/14 at 11:38am
I'm guessing yer not going usb DAC route like I am, otherwise OS (such as windows 8) volume systems don't work, ONLY volume changes that make effect are the E9 dial (E7 doesn't matter if volume is 1 or 60, likewise the Bass Boost does nothing).
You haven't specified exactly how yer going about yer inputs and outputs.post #1303 of 13241/19/14 at 11:51am
I've connected the E9 to my laptop (Mac OSX) via USB. I've docked the E7 onto the E9. I've plugged in my HD600 into the E9 via the 6.25 mm headphone out at the front of the E9.post #1304 of 13241/19/14 at 12:01pm
And yer telling me that adjusting volume on the E7 actually makes a difference? What about bass boost on the E7, can u hear those incremental differences?
How it works for me (and the initial reviewer so it seems) is that the E7 is necessary for the USB DAC feature of the E9 but is kinda bypassed in terms of features of the E7.
If yer adjusting volume on yer laptop it must be app specific right? Like I can adjust foobar2000's volume and the changes are applied, but windows volume changes does nothing. It might be different for Apple...
- FiiO E9 Review
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- Diy Beginners Guide
- › 2017 UK Head-Fi Meet (April 2nd @ Milton Keynes) 1 minute ago
- › Earbuds Round-Up 1 minute ago
- › Fostex TH600 Dynamic Headphones 1 minute ago
- › New DIY Altoids Tin Amp - The Class A "Wintergreen Handwarmer" by... 2 minutes ago
- › New Dragonfly Black and Red Discussion 3 minutes ago
- › ONKYO DP-X1 | Dual Sabre Dacs | Balanced | Sabre BTL Amp | MQA |... 3 minutes ago
- › Onkyo DP-S1 Rubato / Pioneer XDP-30R Private 3 minutes ago
- › FiiO X7 | DXD | DSD | 384K/64B | ESS9018+ Android | WiFi |... 4 minutes ago
- › Magaosi K3 PRO impressions and discussions thread. 5 minutes ago
- › The Hardest hitting Headphones are.. ( "The EXTREME BASS Club") 6 minutes ago
- › 1MORE1008 Earbud by ryanjsoo
- › ORIVETI BASIC - Whole Aluminium Body, High Fidelity, Cable... by ustinj
- › Focal Utopia by Dillan
- › Shure SRH840 by Russell Folland
- › Seahf Metal Housing In-Ear Earbuds Headphones Noise Cancelling... by Byran
- › Fostex TH500RP by bagwell359
- › FLC Technology FLC 8S by Hisoundfi
- › Meze 99 Classics by dany111777
- › SONY Walkman A series NW-A35 (R) (16GB) (Sina bar Red) by meringo
- › Custom Art Harmony 8.2 by Ike1985
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Travel Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (CanJams)
- › FiiO X3II DAP firmwares with custom themes
- › Flawless Album Suggestions
- › The Audiophile Scene in a Third World Country...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide:...
- › Chord Mojo FAQ
- › Head-Fi Logo Gear