Don't the HD650's have different power hungry requirements though? I notice much more dynamic punch to music/movies/games when its switched to 600Ohm gain versus 300Ohm. I think for many headphones the proper setting is always going to be the best overall but in the case of the HD650's more power for demanding parts of audio being pumped through it seem to benefit it more than hinder it.
Recent Images In This Thread
- brandFiiOtagged by System, 11/8/10
- productFiiO E7 USB DAC and Portable Headphone Amplifiertagged by System, 11/8/10
- productFiiO E9 Desktop Headphone Amplifier and Dock for E7 USB DACtagged by System, 1/27/11
- categoryHeadphone Amplifierstagged by System, 11/8/10
- productSennheiser HD 515 Headphonestagged by System, 2/2/11
- productSennheiser HD 600tagged by System, 4/22/11
Related Forum Threads
- Burson HA-160D Impressions from the Burson Loaner Program at Headfonia Last post on 8/15/15 at 8:30am in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- Please help me pick an AMP ! Last post on 10/5/12 at 12:57am in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- if someone familiar with hd650+600 and denon please take a look Last post on 9/22/11 at 11:24pm in Headphones (full-size)
- simple fiio e7/e9 question Last post on 2/16/12 at 7:55pm in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- Headphones for Fiio E7 + E9 Last post on 6/14/11 at 4:55pm in Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
Last edited: 1/18/16
- Diy Beginners GuideLast edited: 7/22/13
- Headphone ImpedanceLast edited: 8/18/12
Great quality to be expected of a Fiio product, the cable works as intended and feels nice in the hand. There`s no strain relief on the 30pin connector, perhaps it`s to increase pliability?...
Feliks Audio Espressivo A Foot Tappin', Head Shakin' Tube Amp | PREVIOUS REVIEW | REVIEW INDEX | NEXT REVIEW | INTRODUCTION A Diamond In The Rough Feliks Audio is a family company...
Intro I've been searching for a pair of headphones to use on commutes for years. I started with the Skullcandy Hesh in middle school which broke after several months. After that i came across...
The ONKYO A800 is a very impressive headphone indeed, and I believe it has the potential to really earn a following among headphone enthusiasts. To be sure, we are in an...
Last year I was so excited buying the Walkman Zx2 and Z7 from Sony, and I was gradually enjoying the better of real quality audio when I am stepping back into the portable world. I feel that now...
FiiO E9 Review - Page 83
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #1232 of 13233/11/12 at 5:54pmpost #1233 of 13233/12/12 at 2:45pm
the e9 sounds better at high gain for some weird reason, since normally it should be the other way around.post #1234 of 13233/24/12 at 7:07pm
Has anyone had problems with the Music Streamer II and the E9? I am thinking about buying the HRT MS II to replace my E7 as a DAC. Will the 2.25 Vrms of the MS II cause problems?
I searched this thread with only a couple of mentions of the HRT MS II+post #1235 of 13233/25/12 at 10:52pmQuote:
Where are all these queries about issues with the MSII/E9 coming from ? Yes, the MSII puts out gobs of analog power, but thats a *good* thing. I think Voldemort may have mentioned to someone in his E9 review that the MSII might pose a problem, and suddenly people are PMing me for 'answers'.
Here is my answer : if you intend using the E9 with sensitive IEMs, thing twice - the output impedance of the amp may be an issue. If you have problems with an MSII/E9 combination, I believe it has little to do with your amp. I have hundreds, if not thousands of hours on this combination and the only issues I have had have emanated from 64-bit Win7 - others claim to have no such issues. All I know is that if I reboot into Linux I have no problems whatsoever - no clipping, no noise, nothing but the musical enjoyment I paid for.
Inevitably, someone will tell you that 2,25 Vrms will overload the E9, or that you need to roll opamps and buffers while standing in a pentagram etc - I have yet to encounter a single such tech wizard who actually owns this combination. I do, and it makes me happy - by all means get other opinions, but for me this is a non-issue.
Spend long enough on Head-Fi and it quickly becomes apparent that a single comment from someone is prone to being cast in stone as 'accepted wisdom'. The whole output impedance thing got blown out of proportion and few people stopped to ask themselves whether this would be an issue with their cans. If the E9 is messing with the frequency curve on any of my cans, I have just the thing to check that - my very own Objective2. If I cant hear a significant difference between the two, guess what - I dont care what is happening on a D-Scope.
Edited by estreeter - 3/25/12 at 10:59pmpost #1236 of 13233/26/12 at 1:56ampost #1237 of 13234/5/12 at 7:44ampost #1238 of 13234/5/12 at 11:08ampost #1239 of 13234/5/12 at 11:13ampost #1240 of 13234/5/12 at 3:36pm
I'm confident that its Class A/B. Mine never even gets warm, much less hot, but their is plenty of room between the electronics and the casing. Compare that to Schiit amps - Class A amps run hot and thats just a fact of life.post #1241 of 13234/5/12 at 3:56pmpost #1242 of 13234/5/12 at 4:45pm
In my brief time on Head-Fi, I've only seen Class A, Class AB and Class D used for headphone or speaker amps, but I rarely pore over spec sheets. The key is to understand what the pros and cons are if you are contemplating something other than AB, and to accept that every design topology has its critics and its zealots. Be especially wary of marketing copy which would have you believe that a 'digital amp' is inherently superior to everything else.
Implementation is everything.post #1243 of 13234/7/12 at 3:29amQuote:
The E9 clips at about 2.1 Vrms input voltage, so it may indeed have some problems with the Music Streamer II. You may need to use digital volume control to attenuate the signal by at least 1 dB to avoid clipping.post #1244 of 13234/9/12 at 6:59pmpost #1245 of 13234/18/12 at 7:53pm
Ok, so I've been lurking around Head-Fi for a few months now, reading mostly about head phones and I finally decided on the Ultrasone HFI-580's. I've had them for a few weeks now and I love them. But now I'm becoming keenly aware of how underwhelming an iPhone is as a source. So I've been reading about desktop amps and dac's and I think I've settled on the Fiio E9/E17 combo. But before I actually go buy them, I wanted to run a few things by the geniuses of the Head-Fi forums. I do most of my music listening (mostly symphonic metal) at work with my iPhone (can't use my work computer for music). Currently I just plug my 580's directly into my iPhone. Here are my questions...
1) Can I do this... iPhone --> E9/E17 --> 580's without having to have anything plugged into my computer?
2) Do I need one of the Fiio LOD cables to achieve what I'm trying to do?
3) By using the setup listed above, will the E17 work all the time without having to be "charged?" In other words, does it run off the A/C power of the E9 or a battery that has to be charged?
4) I may also be getting some earbuds, possibly the Yuin PK2's for now... would this be a good setup for those as well as the 580's?
Thanks in advance for your answers. Some of my questions may have already been answered in this thread, and I did do some searching before posting, but I don't really have the time to read all 83 pages of this thread.
- FiiO E9 Review
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- Diy Beginners Guide
- › CanJam London 2016 (August 13-14, 2016) 19 seconds ago
- › Three Word Story 21 seconds ago
- › Band Name Game II 42 seconds ago
- › = HiFiMAN HE-560 Impressions & Discussion Thread = 44 seconds ago
- › Campfire Audio - Introducing 2 new models Hello Andromeda and Nova 58 seconds ago
- › "The Lab" 1 minute ago
- › Chinese / Asian Brand Info Thread (Headphones, IEMs, Amps, DACs) 1 minute ago
- › Hifiman Edition X 1 minute ago
- › If you still love Etymotic ER4, this is the thread for you... 3 minutes ago
- › Focal Elear and Utopia Launch (With Impressions) - Head-Fi TV 3 minutes ago
- › FiiO L9 L-Shaped Line Out Dock (LOD) Cable For iPod and iPhone by ryanjsoo
- › Espressivo-E by Feliks Audio by thatonenoob
- › B&O Beoplay H6 (2nd generation) by istirsin
- › ONKYO A800 50mm Open Back Headphone by Sonic Defender
- › Sony PHA-3 Headphone Amp by Whitigir
- › Brainwavz Jive by Feilong4
- › AKG K7XX by Aornic
- › SYLLABLE D900S Mini Wireless Bluetooth Earphone Waterproof... by ryanjsoo
- › FiiO E12A Mont Blanc Portable Headphone Amplifier for IEM Special... by Tayyab Pirzada
- › FiiO M3 - Digital Portable Music Player by Levistras
- › Flawless Album Suggestions
- › The Audiophile Scene in a Third World Country...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide:...
- › Chord Mojo FAQ
- › Head-Fi Logo Gear
- › All about iPod Touch 6G as digital transport
- › List of major HiFiMan HE1000 reviews,...
- › Can I change my user name? Can I delete my...