Don't the HD650's have different power hungry requirements though? I notice much more dynamic punch to music/movies/games when its switched to 600Ohm gain versus 300Ohm. I think for many headphones the proper setting is always going to be the best overall but in the case of the HD650's more power for demanding parts of audio being pumped through it seem to benefit it more than hinder it.
Recent Images In This Thread
- brandFiiOtagged by System, 11/8/10
- productFiiO E7 USB DAC and Portable Headphone Amplifiertagged by System, 11/8/10
- productFiiO E9 Desktop Headphone Amplifier and Dock for E7 USB DACtagged by System, 1/27/11
- categoryHeadphone Amplifierstagged by System, 11/8/10
- productSennheiser HD 515 Headphonestagged by System, 2/2/11
- productSennheiser HD 600tagged by System, 4/22/11
Related Forum Threads
- Burson HA-160D Impressions from the Burson Loaner Program at Headfonia Last post on 8/15/15 at 8:30am in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- Please help me pick an AMP ! Last post on 10/5/12 at 12:57am in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- if someone familiar with hd650+600 and denon please take a look Last post on 9/22/11 at 11:24pm in Headphones (full-size)
- simple fiio e7/e9 question Last post on 2/16/12 at 7:55pm in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- Headphones for Fiio E7 + E9 Last post on 6/14/11 at 4:55pm in Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
Last edited: 1/18/16
- Diy Beginners GuideLast edited: 7/22/13
- Headphone ImpedanceLast edited: 8/18/12
Preamble: At HiFime, all started with the production of the Tripath TK2050 speaker amplification chip. Nowadays they are mostly known for their portable DACs that use valuable...
I've only been in this game since January but have bought a new IEM every month (at pay day obviously). Nothing yet has come close to being my go-to IEM. (I should note...I bought the Titans for...
Nuforce HEM4 – impressions and comparison with HEM2 After listening to the HEM2s recently courtesy of the Nuforce Massdrop, I managed to pick up a pair of the next model in their HEM series (the...
http://www.shozy-hk.com/zero-earphone/ Preamble: I was honored to receive an invitation to join in the Delta test of the pre-production Shozy Zero around April 16th. I received the unit...
FiiO E9 Review - Page 83
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #1232 of 13233/11/12 at 5:54pmpost #1233 of 13233/12/12 at 2:45pm
the e9 sounds better at high gain for some weird reason, since normally it should be the other way around.post #1234 of 13233/24/12 at 7:07pm
Has anyone had problems with the Music Streamer II and the E9? I am thinking about buying the HRT MS II to replace my E7 as a DAC. Will the 2.25 Vrms of the MS II cause problems?
I searched this thread with only a couple of mentions of the HRT MS II+post #1235 of 13233/25/12 at 10:52pmQuote:
Where are all these queries about issues with the MSII/E9 coming from ? Yes, the MSII puts out gobs of analog power, but thats a *good* thing. I think Voldemort may have mentioned to someone in his E9 review that the MSII might pose a problem, and suddenly people are PMing me for 'answers'.
Here is my answer : if you intend using the E9 with sensitive IEMs, thing twice - the output impedance of the amp may be an issue. If you have problems with an MSII/E9 combination, I believe it has little to do with your amp. I have hundreds, if not thousands of hours on this combination and the only issues I have had have emanated from 64-bit Win7 - others claim to have no such issues. All I know is that if I reboot into Linux I have no problems whatsoever - no clipping, no noise, nothing but the musical enjoyment I paid for.
Inevitably, someone will tell you that 2,25 Vrms will overload the E9, or that you need to roll opamps and buffers while standing in a pentagram etc - I have yet to encounter a single such tech wizard who actually owns this combination. I do, and it makes me happy - by all means get other opinions, but for me this is a non-issue.
Spend long enough on Head-Fi and it quickly becomes apparent that a single comment from someone is prone to being cast in stone as 'accepted wisdom'. The whole output impedance thing got blown out of proportion and few people stopped to ask themselves whether this would be an issue with their cans. If the E9 is messing with the frequency curve on any of my cans, I have just the thing to check that - my very own Objective2. If I cant hear a significant difference between the two, guess what - I dont care what is happening on a D-Scope.
Edited by estreeter - 3/25/12 at 10:59pmpost #1236 of 13233/26/12 at 1:56ampost #1237 of 13234/5/12 at 7:44ampost #1238 of 13234/5/12 at 11:08ampost #1239 of 13234/5/12 at 11:13ampost #1240 of 13234/5/12 at 3:36pm
I'm confident that its Class A/B. Mine never even gets warm, much less hot, but their is plenty of room between the electronics and the casing. Compare that to Schiit amps - Class A amps run hot and thats just a fact of life.post #1241 of 13234/5/12 at 3:56pmpost #1242 of 13234/5/12 at 4:45pm
In my brief time on Head-Fi, I've only seen Class A, Class AB and Class D used for headphone or speaker amps, but I rarely pore over spec sheets. The key is to understand what the pros and cons are if you are contemplating something other than AB, and to accept that every design topology has its critics and its zealots. Be especially wary of marketing copy which would have you believe that a 'digital amp' is inherently superior to everything else.
Implementation is everything.post #1243 of 13234/7/12 at 3:29amQuote:
The E9 clips at about 2.1 Vrms input voltage, so it may indeed have some problems with the Music Streamer II. You may need to use digital volume control to attenuate the signal by at least 1 dB to avoid clipping.post #1244 of 13234/9/12 at 6:59pmpost #1245 of 13234/18/12 at 7:53pm
Ok, so I've been lurking around Head-Fi for a few months now, reading mostly about head phones and I finally decided on the Ultrasone HFI-580's. I've had them for a few weeks now and I love them. But now I'm becoming keenly aware of how underwhelming an iPhone is as a source. So I've been reading about desktop amps and dac's and I think I've settled on the Fiio E9/E17 combo. But before I actually go buy them, I wanted to run a few things by the geniuses of the Head-Fi forums. I do most of my music listening (mostly symphonic metal) at work with my iPhone (can't use my work computer for music). Currently I just plug my 580's directly into my iPhone. Here are my questions...
1) Can I do this... iPhone --> E9/E17 --> 580's without having to have anything plugged into my computer?
2) Do I need one of the Fiio LOD cables to achieve what I'm trying to do?
3) By using the setup listed above, will the E17 work all the time without having to be "charged?" In other words, does it run off the A/C power of the E9 or a battery that has to be charged?
4) I may also be getting some earbuds, possibly the Yuin PK2's for now... would this be a good setup for those as well as the 580's?
Thanks in advance for your answers. Some of my questions may have already been answered in this thread, and I did do some searching before posting, but I don't really have the time to read all 83 pages of this thread.
- FiiO E9 Review
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- Diy Beginners Guide
- › DQSM IEM Impressions / Easy Earphones Impressions 14 seconds ago
- › Cayin iHA-6 - the new "affordable reference" class balanced desktop... 55 seconds ago
- › Grado GS1000e Headphones 1 minute ago
- › Earbuds Round-Up (Update: April 17th, 2016) 1 minute ago
- › Schiit Ragnarok Amplifier 1 minute ago
- › "The Lab" 2 minutes ago
- › Soundmagic HP150 impressions thread. 3 minutes ago
- › Cowon Plenue D 4 minutes ago
- › Sennheiser Momentum 2.0 and Wireless! 5 minutes ago
- › 2015 MacBook Pro 13.3" Retina- 2.7 Ghz i5, 8GB Ram 128 SSD + 256GB... 5 minutes ago
- › HiFime SPDIF Optical 9018 DAC by HiFiChris
- › Dunu TITAN 1 — titanium-coated diaphragm earphones by harry501501
- › TFZ Series 1 by TwinACStacks
- › NuForce HEM4 Reference Class Hi-Res In-Ear Headphones with Dual... by Jackpot77
- › SHOZY Zero IEM by TwinACStacks
- › Fostex TH-X00 Massdrop exclusive by bestula
- › Sennheiser HD 700 Headphone by DJ Liquid
- › Rockit Sounds R-50 by puccipaolo
- › Cavalli Audio Liquid Carbon by Aornic
- › oBravo EAMT-3w Hybrid Dynamic Driver and Heil Air Motion Transducer... by glassmonkey
- › Flawless Album Suggestions
- › The Audiophile Scene in a Third World Country...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide:...
- › Chord Mojo FAQ
- › Head-Fi Logo Gear
- › All about iPod Touch 6G as digital transport
- › List of major HiFiMan HE1000 reviews,...
- › Can I change my user name? Can I delete my...