Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphone Amps (full-size) › FiiO E9 Review
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

FiiO E9 Review - Page 74

post #1096 of 1316

Okey, okey ;)

FiiO E9 is quite a cheap device, but this doesn't justify the observed fact of cheap sound (cheap like Technics), because this device pretends to be something special, some sort of bargain of buying good quality amp for a reasonable price, so I'm simply telling my version of truth. For me it's worth zero PLN, zero EURO, zero USD, because the sound is explicitly not acceptable to my ears, no matter what album is palyed (from Linux based PC, FLAC format is used).

I've mentioned before, that very simple A-class MOSFET buffer will be much better sounding solution. There is plenty of such kits. Simplicity is a clue, and FiiO E9 is far, far overcomplicated for no reason.

What I listen to is in my profile.szeke2.gif


Edited by borizm - 12/22/11 at 11:55am
post #1097 of 1316
Quote:
Originally Posted by borizm View Post

Okey, okey ;)

FiiO E9 is quite a cheap device, but this doesn't justify the observed fact of cheap sound (cheap like Technics), because this device pretends to be something special, some sort of bargain of buying good quality amp for a reasonable price, so I'm simply telling my version of truth. For me it's worth zero PLN, zero EURO, zero USD, because the sound is explicitly not acceptable to my ears, no matter what album is palyed (from Linux based PC, FLAC format is used).

I've mentioned before, that very simple A-class MOSFET buffer will be much better sounding solution. There is plenty of such kits. Simplicity is a clue, and FiiO E9 is far, far overcomplicated for no reason.

What I listen to is in my profile.szeke2.gif


Hmm, I see now.  So op amp based designs are not desirable in your estimation?  Also, can you give a benchmark on how you feel headphones should sound?  This should help us understand where you're coming from.

 


Edited by Digital-Pride - 12/22/11 at 12:19pm
post #1098 of 1316

Each one op-amp is way too overcomplicated to sounds good. Sorry, but it's a fact. It's easy to prove this by comparing any op-amp based amplifier to the pure and perfect cable (to no amping). Older and simpler op-amps (like NE5534, NE5332) sound better than new much more technically perfect op-amps (I've try so many different). Every transistor in op-amp has junction which intermodulates the sound - there is no simply measurable distortion involved, so parameters in a data sheets are worthless. Technically perfect equipment is probably not the best choice. Less transistors and in current-drive symmetrical topology, more chances to for transparency.

Of course nothing is perfect, and we have to search for a synergy of not perfect recordings with not prefect amps and more not perfect headphones and our ears, heads and likeness.

 

How headphones should sound? Shouldn't sound at all - they should be transparent, sounds like recording sounds. Cheap equipment "sounds", has its own characteristic, constraints. Headphones and speaker are electro-mechanical converters - for them is harder or almost impossible to become fully transparent.


Edited by borizm - 12/22/11 at 1:44pm
post #1099 of 1316

Whoops, I meant headphone amps(proof reading failtongue.gif).  Okay, I see where you're coming from.  While the E9 maybe a bit complex in design, I disagree that it doesn't sound good.  The E9 really doesn't impart much on the incoming analog signal besides more voltage and wattage.  It is neutral to its source.  So connect a good source to it and you get good sound and vice versa.  Like I said before it's not perfect, I found it to be a bit dry and lacking a bit of musical especially in the midrange.  Have you tried it with better sources?

post #1100 of 1316

@borizm:

I am surprised that your Fiio E7+L7 is capable of driving your headphones.  Are you referring to your 250/600 ohm headphones here? 

L7 is just a LOD to bypass E7's internal amps.

Do you do mostly low-volume listening?

And what is that Linux based PC of yours?  Do you connect to E7 (or E7+E9) to it via USB, or via analog cable to its sound card?

post #1101 of 1316

I'm checking...

FiiO E7 as a ASIO sound card, to utilize decent WM8740 DAC inside and some op-amp inside :(, with L7 passive connector is capable of driving DT880 Premium (2005) 600 ohm to the level I like - it's a (lower) middle level volume.

It's typical PC clone (I've assembled) and FiiO E7 is connected by typical USB cable to it, and GNU/Linux is very stable.

 

I'm not using E7 having even this L7, because I've something a way, way better (and cheaper if you have soldering iron) - this DAC (from zoe_tsang):

http://www.ebay.pl/itm/Mini-TDA1543-coaxial-signal-S-PDIF-In-sound-card-/190543864318

but with 8V supply to TDAs, and 4 x TDA1543 (one put on the back of another - radiators needed!!!!)

and I don't need amplification at all - ~8 mA (current driving) seems to be enough to drive most of my headphones (K701, SHP9000 are the hardest to drive).

Having no amp, no buffer between DAC chips and headphones has its drawbacks of course (damping factor, loosing the control and purity in instrumentally richer moments), but directness of the sound is superb! I like it the most (or maybe I'm too lazy, too overworked to search for improvements).

I have to assemble and mod a little another Breeze Audio E4 amp, because it gives additionally microdetails and clarity, purity to all of this, sacrificing... nothing?!? (I have only one day to test E4 before it went to my friend). I have to assemble my own amp and/or A-class buffer for this TDA1543 DAC.

TDA1543 is a decent multibit DAC, so it's superior to most of sigma-delta and hybrid DACs in terms of the musicality.


Edited by borizm - 12/22/11 at 3:34pm
post #1102 of 1316

@Digital-Pride

Please compare FiiO E9 to some decent amp - you will be in the shock how good the sound might be without E9. I was in the opposite situation, having more than one good sounding solution (I still have Pioneer PD-91 also) I've encountered E9 and test was very short, because I couldn't stand this what I heard. Friend of mine had confirmed this exactly in the same words having Breeze Audio E4 amp, but when he was borrowing me E9. he was more than sure of its unique quality.

 

Yes, I've tried FiiO E9 with my Pioneer PD-91 which is high-end and comparable to Krell itself, and my friend used FiiO E9 with also decent Harman Kardon HD 7725 and decent Rotel RCD 991, with use of high quality cables. But there is more - we have something (amp) a lot better to compare with.

 

FiiO E9 is nothing good, and should be never spoken about again at this great forum wink.gif .

This cheap amp was better than E9: http://www.ebay.pl/itm/HA1-4Pcs-NE5532-headphone-preamplifier-kit-sc-/200690340405


Edited by borizm - 12/23/11 at 8:53am
post #1103 of 1316

Hey everyone,

I'm sorry to violate this thread like this, but I recently purchased the Fiio E7&E9 combo and connected it to my PC via USB and it works, but the sound is muffled.

Now, before I used a Creative X-Fi Xtreme Gamer Soundcard and after that some Asus Xonar soundcard. 

Then I bought some AKG K702 and I thought these may need more power, so I got the 2 Fiio Amps as well.

So now I'm here and the combo just sounds wrong compared to both soundcards. everything has a muffled sound and I can't figure out how to get the Audio to sound clear. If I plug in just the  E7 it sounds good, but with the E7 docked on the E9, its muffled again.

So anyone can help me out with this? Else I will return both again and use my soundcard instead.

 

Oh and yeah, With the Soundcards it was the same but I could simply fix the muffled sound with the equalizer in the drivers settings. 


Edited by slythq - 12/22/11 at 6:37pm
post #1104 of 1316
Quote:
Originally Posted by slythq View Post

Hey everyone,

I'm sorry to violate this thread like this, but I recently purchased the Fiio E7&E9 combo and connected it to my PC via USB and it works, but the sound is muffled.

Now, before I used a Creative X-Fi Xtreme Gamer Soundcard and after that some Asus Xonar soundcard. 

Then I bought some AKG K702 and I thought these may need more power, so I got the 2 Fiio Amps as well.

So now I'm here and the combo just sounds wrong compared to both soundcards. everything has a muffled sound and I can't figure out how to get the Audio to sound clear. If I plug in just the  E7 it sounds good, but with the E7 docked on the E9, its muffled again.

So anyone can help me out with this? Else I will return both again and use my soundcard instead.

 

Oh and yeah, With the Soundcards it was the same but I could simply fix the muffled sound with the equalizer in the drivers settings. 


Hmm, what media player do you use?

 

post #1105 of 1316

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Digital-Pride View Post


Hmm, what media player do you use?

 



I'm using Winamp right now, but changing the equalizer in Winamp does not effect the sound quality at all

post #1106 of 1316
Quote:
Originally Posted by slythq View Post

 



I'm using Winamp right now, but changing the equalizer in Winamp does not effect the sound quality at all



Hmm, maybe the issue is with your OS sound settings?

post #1107 of 1316


 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Digital-Pride View Post



Hmm, maybe the issue is with your OS sound settings?



well as far as I know you can't change the Sound Settings when the amp is connected via USB. I've already tried switching the equalizer in the onboard soundcard Driver Settings but it does not change anything. I guess I should try connecting the amp via optical out...

 

edit: any advice if thats even possible? 

or is there any possibility to use equalizer with the E9&E7?


Edited by slythq - 12/23/11 at 2:38pm
post #1108 of 1316
Quote:
Originally Posted by slythq View Post

well as far as I know you can't change the Sound Settings when the amp is connected via USB. I've already tried switching the equalizer in the onboard soundcard Driver Settings but it does not change anything. I guess I should try connecting the amp via optical out...

 

edit: any advice if thats even possible? 

or is there any possibility to use equalizer with the E9&E7?


 

It is  possible using the media player's eq.  My suggestion is trying the media program foobar and install the WASAPI plug-in.  This plug-in allows you to bypass any extra sound processing your computer's OS might do, thereby allowing the E7/E9 to fully handle the sound conversion process.

post #1109 of 1316


 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Digital-Pride View Post


 

It is  possible using the media player's eq.  My suggestion is trying the media program foobar and install the WASAPI plug-in.  This plug-in allows you to bypass any extra sound processing your computer's OS might do, thereby allowing the E7/E9 to fully handle the sound conversion process.


Guess I will try that out. But this wont affect my overall system sound :/


Edited by slythq - 12/23/11 at 3:34pm
post #1110 of 1316
Quote:
Originally Posted by slythq View Post


Guess I will try that out. But this wont affect my overall system sound :/



Maybe, but at least your E7/E9 will be optimized so to speak.  Sorry, my computer knowledge is still a bit limited.  As for your larger system sound issue, I'll ask my brother about it as he is my family's go to guy for computer issues.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphone Amps (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphone Amps (full-size) › FiiO E9 Review