Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphone Amps (full-size) › FiiO E9 Review
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

FiiO E9 Review - Page 8

post #106 of 1316


Yes, this is great! We only have one thing to possibly complain about FiiO: make enough of them (don't let them get sold out), and hurry up with that 2nd batch:)
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riku540 View Post

Just wanted to drop in and say I'm really impressed how involed FiiO is with the community and feedback! 

post #107 of 1316

I really need to add this to my xmas wish list <333

post #108 of 1316
Quote:
Originally Posted by feiao View Post

Plz refer the diagram of E9!  http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/518997/fiio-e9-pre-release-unboxing-review-part-1/45

 

Yes, you can use E9 as a pre amp and get enough gain! and the pre amp output is amp by TI's OPA2134, and it is also a decent OP, so you don't need to use the HP out from TPA6120!

 

And that is what we design it and finaly  find one user who wants this function! :)

 

BTW, you can change the OP2134 with other high class OP , it have a 8pins golden plated socket! and the supply voltage is +/- 12V, you can find lots of good OP in such situation!


Thanks, just the answer I was hoping for, will be ordering the combo tonight from PJBox :)

 

I'm definately interested in taking out the OPA2134 though. I'm assuming there will be limitations to what we can replace it with though. My favourite OpAmps are OPA2111AM (which should be fine) AD797 and OPA637 both of which are not normally drop in replacements.
 

post #109 of 1316

I'm really impressed with Fiio support. I'm greatful that James is responding to our questions.

I especially thank you for showing me the E9 schematic diagram.

I studied electrical engineering and hand designed and hand built effecient H-Bridge amplifiers. They were not audio quality, but rather efficient amplifiers.

 

Question: why is there a 33 Ohm resistor between the electric relay and the 3.5 headphone plug. And there is no such resistor between the electric relay and the 6.5 plug?

post #110 of 1316
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oddworld View Post

Question: why is there a 33 Ohm resistor between the electric relay and the 3.5 headphone plug. And there is no such resistor between the electric relay and the 6.5 plug?


For IEMs. Otherwise you risk blowing them out... along with your hearing. basshead.gif

post #111 of 1316

I'm really feelin my new little setup I got here. Loving the bass boost on the solo E7, and the power coming through the combo is superb thus far. My xb700 are rumbling in the jungle. Unfortunately my cool but nonetheless stevejobified crapple product produces an annoying hiss mostly from the right earcup. But when these cans are booming its easily drowned out. Overall I'm extremely happy with what I've got here.

 

E7+E9

post #112 of 1316

Got it. I'll be using K702's so I'll make sure to use the 6.5 mm port. I've heard that the 3.5mm had a wobbly connection. Is this true, or was this only true on a prototype unit?

 

Additionally, does the E9 use the E7's DAC, requiring the E7 to be plugged in in order to use USB audio?

post #113 of 1316
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oddworld View Post

Got it. I'll be using K702's so I'll make sure to use the 6.5 mm port. I've heard that the 3.5mm had a wobbly connection. Is this true, or was this only true on a prototype unit?

 

Additionally, does the E9 use the E7's DAC, requiring the E7 to be plugged in in order to use USB audio?


My 3.5mm jack is fine; I think I remember hearing the same thing. It was probably just a problem for one person.

 

And yes, the E7 must be docked to get USB audio, as the E7's only function is a DAC in that mode.

post #114 of 1316

Riku540, I read that you're on your second unit because of the E9/E7 connection. How's your second unit?

 

James, if I want to use the Bass Boost of the E7, and I plug in the E7 to the 3.5 input, what volume should the E7 be set to so that it can act as a "line out"

 

Micca suggested:

 

 

Quote:
This is definitely one way that the E7 can be used with the E9. You might get a bit more background hiss when connected like this but the sound should still be very good, and you will get to use the E7's EQ. If do this, set the E7's volume to level 56 or above and use the volume on the E9 to control listening level.

 

Would you suggest this too? Is 56 too high? I was thinking 10 / 60


Edited by Oddworld - 11/12/10 at 9:11am
post #115 of 1316

Perfect! Couldn't be happier!

 

I was definitely upset with the first one, though I have not heard of anyone else having the same issue. Thankfully I received a new one only 2 days later, with free expedited shipping.

Nothing to worry about since I know you are eagerly waiting your E9. smily_headphones1.gif


Edited by Riku540 - 11/12/10 at 9:12am
post #116 of 1316
I also have a pair of Sony mdr xb700 and I love the sound they produce. I not needing bass boost. My denon ah c751 sound wow too. I have been running the amp in for nearly 10 hours. Plenty of bass too.

I connected my MacBook to use the e7 dac and really enjoyed the extra clarity. The way I can describe the e9 is it brings your headphones to life.

I'm rediscovering my music again.
post #117 of 1316

Guys, I have a little question here: I own a pair of AD700's, as many of you know, it's standard plug is a 3.5mm but they come with an adapter for the bigger plug (sorry, forgot the diameter size..). My question is: should I use them (on the Fiio E9) directly on the 3.5mm headphone jack or should I use the adapter and plug into the bigger one?

post #118 of 1316

I have the same question for AKG K702's big plug or small plug?

post #119 of 1316

Big one. The 3.5mm has a much lower volume for extremely sensitive phones like IEMs. -90db to be exact.

post #120 of 1316
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oddworld View Post

Riku540, I read that you're on your second unit because of the E9/E7 connection. How's your second unit?

 

James, if I want to use the Bass Boost of the E7, and I plug in the E7 to the 3.5 input, what volume should the E7 be set to so that it can act as a "line out"

 

Micca suggested:

 

 

Quote:
This is definitely one way that the E7 can be used with the E9. You might get a bit more background hiss when connected like this but the sound should still be very good, and you will get to use the E7's EQ. If do this, set the E7's volume to level 56 or above and use the volume on the E9 to control listening level.

 

Would you suggest this too? Is 56 too high? I was thinking 10 / 60



We inspected Riku's return unit and found that the E7 was the cause of the issue. The E9 unit was fine, however.

 

When you use the E7's headphone output to feed the E9, you want as high an output from the E7 as possible for best signal quality. 56 is unity gain from the built in E7 amp chip. I think anything between 56 to 60 should be fine. 

 

Jack

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphone Amps (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphone Amps (full-size) › FiiO E9 Review