Well I'm looking into other headphones lately, I have the Senn HD 448, but i want more rockish headphones, and i hear grado are like the quintessential rock headphones, so i was wondering what are the best pair for price, i don't have the budget for something like the RS2i but im thinking some where in the 100-250 range, I'm looking for around ear, are the... oh what are the called Alissandro? cans any good, or are they just repackaged SR125i's?
- brandGradotagged by System, 11/5/10
- productGrado SR225i Headphonestagged by System, 11/5/10
- productGrado SR-325i Prestige Series Headphonestagged by System, 11/5/10
- productGrado SR80i Headphonestagged by System, 11/5/10
- categoryHeadphonestagged by System, 11/5/10
- categoryOver Eartagged by System, 11/5/10
Related Forum Threads
- Sell everything for a RS1? Last post on 10/9/11 at 5:26pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Buy sr225i/325is or Trade mspro for rs1i? Last post on 9/12/11 at 4:36pm in Headphones (full-size)
- help me create my dream setup Last post on 8/3/11 at 9:57am in Headphones (full-size)
- HD25 and then Grado sr80i Last post on 7/31/11 at 3:08pm in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- decent headphones for classic rock? Last post on 7/21/11 at 11:51am in Headphones (full-size)
Grado Modification Overview
Last edited: 9/27/11
- Headphone ImpedanceLast edited: 8/18/12
- Buying Guide Headphones By Price RangeLast edited: 10/26/12
- A Hopefully Helpful Headphone Buying Guide For Newbies By BoomanaLast edited: 1/6/13
I owned two PA2V2 and while it's good value amp, it had far too many flaws to my liking. Gary however provided excellent customer support throughout the whole time. Ended up with O2 and I'm...
I've done a lot of A-B comparing and the Schiit Wyrd absolutely improves my sound quality. Without it, the music sounds more distant, less expansive, less clear and also a bit softer volume. A...
Disclaimer I got this unit as part of Australia/New Zealand tour arranged by @d marc0, thank you very much for including me in this tour :) Introduction I am just another music fans in this...
These are good headphones. I would have preferred a hard carrying case for the headphones, but, when you consider the cost of these cans, the soft carrying bag is acceptable. If you really...
This review is the summary section of Yulong DA8II in-depth review here: http://www.head-fi.org/t/779702/yulong-da8ii-in-depth-review Please visit the above thread for more...
Best grados under 300$post #1 of 4411/5/10 at 8:34amThread Starter
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #2 of 4411/5/10 at 9:17ampost #3 of 4411/5/10 at 9:53amThread Starterpost #4 of 4411/5/10 at 10:02am
Aren't you looking for the "best" Grado's under $300 like your title states? Well, there is no "best" unfortunately -- especially when it comes to Grado. (When it comes to "Grado" and "Price" -- it would be best to just ignore, as it's skewed)
Why? Well, the thread explains. All of the Grados under the "Reference Series" sound too similar to pick one and classify it as an all out "best". In fact, many say that cannot hear a difference between them. So you might be perfectly content with "just" the SR80i.
Edited by Katun - 11/5/10 at 10:04ampost #5 of 4411/5/10 at 10:05amThread Starter
.............I'm asking an opinion questing, that graph isn't help full, graphs are all but useless, they only give a general idea of what you might hear, not what you will actually hear.post #6 of 4411/5/10 at 10:18ampost #7 of 4411/5/10 at 10:23am
I'm a big fan of 325is with the big G-Cushions. I think it would be interesting for you to try 225i with the G-Cush. Soundstage would be more like the Senns but have the Grado punch. 2 cents.post #8 of 4411/5/10 at 10:39ampost #9 of 4411/5/10 at 10:44amThread StarterQuote:
Thank you, that's the kind of response i was looking for, so the 225i's with the G-cush you say? i thought that those cups were only for the 1k series, do All grado's use the same housing?
yes i did and that's the conclusion i came to.post #10 of 4411/5/10 at 10:45amThread StarterQuote:
ok thats cool, i was looking at them and they looked exactly like the SR 80i's so i was like....hmmmm.post #11 of 4411/5/10 at 10:47ampost #12 of 4411/5/10 at 10:54amThread Starter
OH REALLY!!! i was gonna say, i may go for a cheaper model of the grados like the 801 or the 125*tight on cash* and get some cups for them, i hate on ear headphones...like just the pads lol.post #13 of 4411/5/10 at 11:04am
I was going to do that exact same thing -- buy an SR80i with the $45 G-Cush pads. I needed to transform them into something other than "earpad". Like you, I absolutely cannot stand earpad headphones -- even super soft XB300.
Although, I ended up buying the SR80i without them -- as I had a feeling I wouldn't like Grados. Turns out, I was right, I didn't like them. But, I did learn that the stock pads are really not that bad. Perfectly fine for shorter sessions.
You might want to read up a bit on that transformation though. Some say they really cannot stand the G-Cush on the lower end models. But it may just be preference... (Then again, some really approve of the transformation)post #14 of 4411/5/10 at 11:12am
You're close to Portland. I would suggest a trip to 32 Ohm Audio and listen to the Grados yourself. That's the best way to find out and the best way to find out if the sound difference between the SR80 and SR225 and SR325 is worth the increase in price. I would also suggest trying each of the SR series headphones with both the comfies and the bowls. The models below the SR225 now come standard with comfies but you can buy the bowls separate if you prefer the sound with the bowls. I personally like the bowls and use some EQ to tame the treble that the bowls accentuate.post #15 of 4411/5/10 at 1:10pmThread Starter
thanks ham, yea i have looked into 32 ohm on there "web site" i have yet ot have a chance to go down there.... hopefully i ill for mah birth day!
- Best grados under 300$
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- Headphone Impedance
- › Yamaha hph mt220 thread (Merged) 28 seconds ago
- › "The Lab" 1 minute ago
- › HifiMAN HE-6 Planar Magnetic Headphone 1 minute ago
- › Pictures of your computer rigs! Post them here! 1 minute ago
- › FT: New Koss Pro4AA Titanium 2 minutes ago
- › OPPO PM-3 ***Canada*** 2 minutes ago
- › Schiit Lyr Tube Rollers 3 minutes ago
- › HiFiman HE-500 (HE as in High End) Proving to be an enjoyable... 4 minutes ago
- › Comparisons: 26 of the Top Closed/Portable Headphones Around 5 minutes ago
- › Sony XBA-A2 need help/opinion 5 minutes ago
- › Creative Aurvana In-Ear3 by Fidelity King
- › Electric Avenues PA2V2 by asymcon
- › Wyrd USB Decrapifier by Mediahound
- › Noble Audio Savant by daduy
- › Shure SRH840 by Double-A
- › Yulong Audio DA8 II by earfonia
- › Aune X1S 32Bit/384KHz DSD DAC Headphone Amplifier black by avitron142
- › Audio-Technica ATH CKR9 LTD by peter123
- › JDS Labs ODAC by YoYo JoKeR
- › Westone UM Pro10 High Performance Single Driver Noise-Isolating... by ShaftShanker
- › Head-Fi Logo Gear
- › All about iPod Touch 6G as digital transport
- › List of major HiFiMan HE1000 reviews,...
- › Can I change my user name? Can I delete my...
- › Table of Earphocalypse
- › The Great FiiO DAP FAQ Wiki
- › Audio Connections between components --...
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Introduction)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2