Well I'm looking into other headphones lately, I have the Senn HD 448, but i want more rockish headphones, and i hear grado are like the quintessential rock headphones, so i was wondering what are the best pair for price, i don't have the budget for something like the RS2i but im thinking some where in the 100-250 range, I'm looking for around ear, are the... oh what are the called Alissandro? cans any good, or are they just repackaged SR125i's?
- brandGradotagged by System, 11/5/10
- productGrado SR225i Headphonestagged by System, 11/5/10
- productGrado SR-325i Prestige Series Headphonestagged by System, 11/5/10
- productGrado SR80i Headphonestagged by System, 11/5/10
- categoryHeadphonestagged by System, 11/5/10
- categoryOver Eartagged by System, 11/5/10
Related Forum Threads
- Sell everything for a RS1? Last post on 10/9/11 at 5:26pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Buy sr225i/325is or Trade mspro for rs1i? Last post on 9/12/11 at 4:36pm in Headphones (full-size)
- help me create my dream setup Last post on 8/3/11 at 9:57am in Headphones (full-size)
- HD25 and then Grado sr80i Last post on 7/31/11 at 3:08pm in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- decent headphones for classic rock? Last post on 7/21/11 at 11:51am in Headphones (full-size)
2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
Last edited: Yesterday
- 2013 Head-Fi Summer Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)Last edited: 8/19/13
- Grado Modification OverviewLast edited: 9/27/11
- Headphone ImpedanceLast edited: 8/18/12
- Buying Guide Headphones By Price RangeLast edited: 10/26/12
Introduction - The HD 518's are the starter model in the Sennheiser's audiophile range. They are really VFM and a good starter audiophile headphone for people who are looking into going the...
I got these on a pawn shop deal, and wanted some cheap headphones that could deliver for what I was looking for. An all-arounder that provided clarity, good bass, nice treble, and handled all...
Introduction: I still don't know why I keep buying headphones, really! I thought I was done but no, headphones like this one have to pop up on my radar and I'm weak enough that I have to buy...
Comparing these to my Philips L1 and my Beyer T1 they have a lot more mid-bass through midrange and are slightly tilted toward the high. They sound great but quite a bit different sound signature...
DISCLAIMER This review is based on the demo set at Jaben Singapore, which I have demoed extensively no less than 3 times. Though fit is pretty good, but as perfect fit is not achieved, I shall...
Best grados under 300$post #1 of 4411/5/10 at 8:34amThread Starter
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #2 of 4411/5/10 at 9:17ampost #3 of 4411/5/10 at 9:53amThread Starterpost #4 of 4411/5/10 at 10:02am
Aren't you looking for the "best" Grado's under $300 like your title states? Well, there is no "best" unfortunately -- especially when it comes to Grado. (When it comes to "Grado" and "Price" -- it would be best to just ignore, as it's skewed)
Why? Well, the thread explains. All of the Grados under the "Reference Series" sound too similar to pick one and classify it as an all out "best". In fact, many say that cannot hear a difference between them. So you might be perfectly content with "just" the SR80i.
Edited by Katun - 11/5/10 at 10:04ampost #5 of 4411/5/10 at 10:05amThread Starter
.............I'm asking an opinion questing, that graph isn't help full, graphs are all but useless, they only give a general idea of what you might hear, not what you will actually hear.post #6 of 4411/5/10 at 10:18ampost #7 of 4411/5/10 at 10:23am
I'm a big fan of 325is with the big G-Cushions. I think it would be interesting for you to try 225i with the G-Cush. Soundstage would be more like the Senns but have the Grado punch. 2 cents.post #8 of 4411/5/10 at 10:39ampost #9 of 4411/5/10 at 10:44amThread StarterQuote:
Thank you, that's the kind of response i was looking for, so the 225i's with the G-cush you say? i thought that those cups were only for the 1k series, do All grado's use the same housing?
yes i did and that's the conclusion i came to.post #10 of 4411/5/10 at 10:45amThread StarterQuote:
ok thats cool, i was looking at them and they looked exactly like the SR 80i's so i was like....hmmmm.post #11 of 4411/5/10 at 10:47ampost #12 of 4411/5/10 at 10:54amThread Starter
OH REALLY!!! i was gonna say, i may go for a cheaper model of the grados like the 801 or the 125*tight on cash* and get some cups for them, i hate on ear headphones...like just the pads lol.post #13 of 4411/5/10 at 11:04am
I was going to do that exact same thing -- buy an SR80i with the $45 G-Cush pads. I needed to transform them into something other than "earpad". Like you, I absolutely cannot stand earpad headphones -- even super soft XB300.
Although, I ended up buying the SR80i without them -- as I had a feeling I wouldn't like Grados. Turns out, I was right, I didn't like them. But, I did learn that the stock pads are really not that bad. Perfectly fine for shorter sessions.
You might want to read up a bit on that transformation though. Some say they really cannot stand the G-Cush on the lower end models. But it may just be preference... (Then again, some really approve of the transformation)post #14 of 4411/5/10 at 11:12am
You're close to Portland. I would suggest a trip to 32 Ohm Audio and listen to the Grados yourself. That's the best way to find out and the best way to find out if the sound difference between the SR80 and SR225 and SR325 is worth the increase in price. I would also suggest trying each of the SR series headphones with both the comfies and the bowls. The models below the SR225 now come standard with comfies but you can buy the bowls separate if you prefer the sound with the bowls. I personally like the bowls and use some EQ to tame the treble that the bowls accentuate.post #15 of 4411/5/10 at 1:10pmThread Starter
thanks ham, yea i have looked into 32 ohm on there "web site" i have yet ot have a chance to go down there.... hopefully i ill for mah birth day!
- Best grados under 300$
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- 2013 Head-Fi Summer Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › iBasso DX50 Thread (New^4 firmware update! V1.2.2) 57 seconds ago
- › need help upgrading USB cable 1 minute ago
- › Geek Pulse: Geek desktop DAC/AMP by Light Harmonics 3 minutes ago
- › Koss ProDJ100 with Fiio E6 AMP vs Audio Technica ATH M50 3 minutes ago
- › Rate The Last Movie You Watched 3 minutes ago
- › HD25 Adidas Version 3 minutes ago
- › PS4 vs XBOX ONE (What would you buy and why? No fanboy like... 3 minutes ago
- › FitEar TO GO! 334 --- Suyama's custom IEM, made universal! 3 minutes ago
- › Sennheiser's Own Balanced Cables for HD 600/650, HD 700, and HD 800... 4 minutes ago
- › Big gear clearance! 4 minutes ago
- › Sennheiser HD-518 by xoriac
- › Roland RH-200 Monitor Headphones by IEMagnet01
- › Perfect Sound d901b by gelocks
- › Sony MDR-7520 Professional Headphones by groovyd
- › FitEar Private C435 Custom In-Ear Monitors by Joe-Siow
- › Creative Aurvana Live! 2 Headset with 40mm Drivers and In-Line Mic... by kingpage
- › Sony NWZ-A818 8GB by stuartfang
- › M-Audio Studiophile Q40 Closed-back Dynamic Headphones by adevriesc
- › Samson SR950 by adevriesc
- › Yamaha HPH-200 Headphone (Black) by adevriesc
- › Headphone Power Calculator Spreadsheet by robrob
- › Headphone-to-Speaker-Amp Interface With... by robrob
- › Headphone Resistor Network Calculator by robrob
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide by jude
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Introduction) by jude
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Over-Ear... by skehoe
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (In-Ear... by cristina
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Desktop Amps... by warrenpchi
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Portable... by warrenpchi
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide... by joe