Hey I've just received some Sennheiser HD800s as a gift and have no idea what accessories I should buy. Unfortunately I have no amp or DAC and have a budget of around $250. I'll mostly be listening to classical music or rock through my computer. My sound card is an IDT High Definition Audio CODEC if that helps. I know that I won't be able to get anything great for $250 but I want to get whatever will let me get the most out of my HD800s for that price. Thanks for any imput.
Related Forum Threads
- Apex Peak/Volcano vs. Zana Deux Last post on 6/25/12 at 1:54am in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- Upgrading Amp, need help. Last post on 1/26/13 at 7:34am in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- Red Wine Audio Isabelline with Sennheiser Hd 800 Last post on 5/31/12 at 6:03pm in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- DNA Stratus 2A3 amplifier - first impressions Last post on 1/12/15 at 10:17am in High-end Audio Forum
- Schiit Mjolnir headphone amplifier Last post on Yesterday at 8:57 pm in Headphone Amps (full-size)
Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
Last edited: 11/28/14
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Ultra-High-End Headphones (Summit-Fi))Last edited: 12/8/14
- Diy Beginners GuideLast edited: 7/22/13
- Headphone ImpedanceLast edited: 8/18/12
I have own the Dunu tridents for about 4-5 months, and about a week about, the left ear suddenly stopped working. I left them on my desk for the weekend, no spills, or anything touching them. Now i...
The Brainwavz M1 has been widely toted as a popular option at under $50 for the last few years. Why is that the case? Well, because at the time of their debut, they were one the few balanced...
Intro Here is a review of the Audio-Technica CKR10 there are a couple reviews of this model already but the more reviews the better. First I would like to say thank you to Audio-Technica for...
So, a review Woo Audio WA2... I have divided it into some headings, and rated them out of 100. These are my ratings based on my personal opinion. I'm open to comments as well, feel free to voice...
Intro After briefly owning and eventually selling the Audio Technica ATH - M50, there were quite a few things that I still desired in a closed headphone. I wanted something more comfortable...
Cheap amp for Sennheiser HD 800post #1 of 1911/4/10 at 10:21pmThread Starter
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #2 of 1911/4/10 at 11:33pm
How about I trade you my AD900s that require no amp at all?
Maybe have a look at the new NFB 11 from Audio-GD. It is a new DAC/Amp combo and apparently is a beautiful performer for the price. It can be had for around your budget while it is in it's promo price phase but you have to be quick before the price goes up!post #3 of 1911/5/10 at 11:14ampost #4 of 1911/5/10 at 11:30am
If you feel like taking on the assembly of a beginner level kit, the Bottlehead Crack OTL tube amp is said to pair really nicely with the HD800's. I haven't personally heard it, but there is a lengthy thread in this forum, in which one user recently commented (to the astonishment of some others) that he often prefers the Crack to his Zana (a very high end tube amp) when listening to the HD800's. (see http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/476650/crack-bottlehead-otl/390)
Here's the bottlehead site: http://www.bottlehead.com/store.php?crn=44&rn=442&action=show_detail if this sounds like something you might be interested in considering.post #5 of 1911/5/10 at 11:58ampost #6 of 1911/5/10 at 12:04pm
Have you tried soldering? It's not that difficult and you can pick it up in an hour or two or practice.
DIY really is the least expensive way to a good amp.post #7 of 1911/5/10 at 12:22pmpost #8 of 1911/7/10 at 9:13amThread Starterpost #9 of 1912/3/10 at 2:06pmpost #10 of 1912/5/10 at 10:18amQuote:Originally Posted by USAudio
If you could squeeze another $50 more into your budget maybe you could check out the Bellari HA540:
Lots of power.
The Bellari is not a great match for the HD800. I know, I have both. Of my collection, I must say that the Lehmann BCL is the best. Too bad it cost so much.post #11 of 1912/5/10 at 12:48pm
I recently purchased a FiiO E7 DAC/Amp - approx £55 from amazon UK - for listening to music via my laptop. The E7 has completely cleaned up virtually all of the noise I previously experienced when plugging headphones into my laptop's headphone out.
Yesterday, I listened to some CDs though HD800's connected to my E7 and laptop. The HD800's sounded crystal clear and ultra-detailed if a little thin and less bassy than my usual headphones (Apple in-ears/Senn HD25's), but that's probably the HD800's relative innate sound characteristic. Also, the 1/4 -> 8th inch converter plug used with the HD800's was cracked and looked like a budget model, so that probably affected the sound quality.
When I listened to some live rock recordings, the HD800's sounded very thin, but the E7's bass boost compensated for that - I think I preferred listening to rock music through my existing headphones (listed above) though - so with the E7, your HD800's will sound clearly, but with HD800's I'm not sure how the E7 compares to other amps.
I'm considering a pair of high-end headphones like the HD800 (or T1's or LCD-2's) and wondering if the FiiO E7 really does them justice. FiiO also recently released the E9 which sells for under £100 and apparently gives more power than the E7, but I haven't tried it. Has anyone experienced the FiiO E7 and/or E9 with HD800's (or other hi-end headphones for that matter?).post #12 of 1912/5/10 at 6:16pmQuote:
According to project86, there is some really great synergy between the two.post #13 of 1912/6/10 at 6:32pm
As I am new to this forum. I would suggest the MP-301 amp from Musical Paradise if you want to go for cheap tube amp. I find the sound it puts out on my phones to be remarkable.And for $200 bucks out of Canada you can't beat it.
Edited by popa - 12/6/10 at 6:50pmpost #14 of 1912/7/10 at 5:30am
X2 on the M Stage
Just get the Matrix M Stage or the Lovely Cube. Both are pretty much clones of the Lehmann Black Cube, there is just no way you can beat these two for driving the HD800 at that price level.
- Cheap amp for Sennheiser HD 800
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Ultra-High-End Headphones (Summit-Fi))
- › SONY NWZ-A10 Series 54 seconds ago
- › Sennheiser HD 598 Impressions Thread 1 minute ago
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (Update: 1/4/2015:... 1 minute ago
- › Knowledge Zenith (KZ) impressions thread 2 minutes ago
- › Stax Driver SRM-600 LTD & SR-507 3 minutes ago
- › Colorfly C3 Discussion Thread 4 minutes ago
- › The Astell & Kern AK240 4 minutes ago
- › X7, the Flagship DAP from FiiO ( updated on 15/12/2014) 4 minutes ago
- › MCINTOSH LABS INTRODUCES NEW HEADPHONE AMP MODEL MHA 100 5 minutes ago
- › You Know You're an Audiophile When.. Version 2! 5 minutes ago
- › DUNU DN-12 Trident by Ghoulcow
- › MP4Nation Brainwavz M1 by Tom22
- › Audio Technica ATH-CKR10 IN-EAR HEADPHONE TITANIUM SONIC PRO DUAL... by acain
- › Woo Audio 2 by mikoss
- › KAM HP1 by LowDose
- › Schiit Vali by Mr Rick
- › DUNU DN-2000 Hybrid 3 way earphone by YoYo JoKeR
- › V-MODA Crossfade M-100 by Spiderman
- › Audinst HUD-mx2 by YoYo JoKeR
- › FiiO X1 Ultraportable Hi-Res DAP by koloseij
- › The Great FiiO DAP FAQ Wiki
- › Audio Connections between components --...
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Introduction)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Gaming Headphones)