Hey I've just received some Sennheiser HD800s as a gift and have no idea what accessories I should buy. Unfortunately I have no amp or DAC and have a budget of around $250. I'll mostly be listening to classical music or rock through my computer. My sound card is an IDT High Definition Audio CODEC if that helps. I know that I won't be able to get anything great for $250 but I want to get whatever will let me get the most out of my HD800s for that price. Thanks for any imput.
Related Forum Threads
- Apex Peak/Volcano vs. Zana Deux Last post on 6/25/12 at 1:54am in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- Upgrading Amp, need help. Last post on 1/26/13 at 7:34am in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- Red Wine Audio Isabelline with Sennheiser Hd 800 Last post on 5/31/12 at 6:03pm in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- DNA Stratus 2A3 amplifier - first impressions Last post on 9/16/16 at 8:15am in High-end Audio Forum
- Schiit Mjolnir headphone amplifier Last post on 8/18/16 at 12:25pm in Headphone Amps (full-size)
Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
Last edited: 1/18/16
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Ultra-High-End Headphones (Summit-Fi))Last edited: 12/4/15
- Diy Beginners GuideLast edited: 7/22/13
- Headphone ImpedanceLast edited: 8/18/12
AK Audio Super Dolphin 6BASticking a Dolphin in your ears! DisclaimerThe Super Dolphin 6BA is a loaner unit provided in exchange for my honest and unbiased opinion. I have tried my best to...
This is an excellent pair of headphones, sound is very clear, and the looks are impressive. I am disappointed with the padding, hurts to wear in less then 15 minutes. Pads can be replaced though....
I've had mine for almost 5 years, still breathing and still sounds great! I've had mine short circuit for two times because and fixed it, still sounds the same. So far this is the best for me and I...
When these went on sale at massdrop I thought I was going to put one over on the man and get some really good audiophile grade headphones for $100, sadly that's not what I got when the package...
This little DAC punches way way way above its weight. I fell deep into the audiophile hole about a month ago, waiting for our 2nd son to be born. If I could be so bold, I went through a...
Cheap amp for Sennheiser HD 800post #1 of 2011/4/10 at 10:21pmThread Starter
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #2 of 2011/4/10 at 11:33pm
How about I trade you my AD900s that require no amp at all?
Maybe have a look at the new NFB 11 from Audio-GD. It is a new DAC/Amp combo and apparently is a beautiful performer for the price. It can be had for around your budget while it is in it's promo price phase but you have to be quick before the price goes up!post #3 of 2011/5/10 at 11:14ampost #4 of 2011/5/10 at 11:30am
If you feel like taking on the assembly of a beginner level kit, the Bottlehead Crack OTL tube amp is said to pair really nicely with the HD800's. I haven't personally heard it, but there is a lengthy thread in this forum, in which one user recently commented (to the astonishment of some others) that he often prefers the Crack to his Zana (a very high end tube amp) when listening to the HD800's. (see http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/476650/crack-bottlehead-otl/390)
Here's the bottlehead site: http://www.bottlehead.com/store.php?crn=44&rn=442&action=show_detail if this sounds like something you might be interested in considering.post #5 of 2011/5/10 at 11:58ampost #6 of 2011/5/10 at 12:04pm
Have you tried soldering? It's not that difficult and you can pick it up in an hour or two or practice.
DIY really is the least expensive way to a good amp.post #7 of 2011/5/10 at 12:22pmpost #8 of 2011/7/10 at 9:13amThread Starterpost #9 of 2012/3/10 at 2:06pmpost #10 of 2012/5/10 at 10:18amQuote:Originally Posted by USAudio
If you could squeeze another $50 more into your budget maybe you could check out the Bellari HA540:
Lots of power.
The Bellari is not a great match for the HD800. I know, I have both. Of my collection, I must say that the Lehmann BCL is the best. Too bad it cost so much.post #11 of 2012/5/10 at 12:48pm
I recently purchased a FiiO E7 DAC/Amp - approx £55 from amazon UK - for listening to music via my laptop. The E7 has completely cleaned up virtually all of the noise I previously experienced when plugging headphones into my laptop's headphone out.
Yesterday, I listened to some CDs though HD800's connected to my E7 and laptop. The HD800's sounded crystal clear and ultra-detailed if a little thin and less bassy than my usual headphones (Apple in-ears/Senn HD25's), but that's probably the HD800's relative innate sound characteristic. Also, the 1/4 -> 8th inch converter plug used with the HD800's was cracked and looked like a budget model, so that probably affected the sound quality.
When I listened to some live rock recordings, the HD800's sounded very thin, but the E7's bass boost compensated for that - I think I preferred listening to rock music through my existing headphones (listed above) though - so with the E7, your HD800's will sound clearly, but with HD800's I'm not sure how the E7 compares to other amps.
I'm considering a pair of high-end headphones like the HD800 (or T1's or LCD-2's) and wondering if the FiiO E7 really does them justice. FiiO also recently released the E9 which sells for under £100 and apparently gives more power than the E7, but I haven't tried it. Has anyone experienced the FiiO E7 and/or E9 with HD800's (or other hi-end headphones for that matter?).post #12 of 2012/5/10 at 6:16pmQuote:
According to project86, there is some really great synergy between the two.post #13 of 2012/6/10 at 6:32pm
As I am new to this forum. I would suggest the MP-301 amp from Musical Paradise if you want to go for cheap tube amp. I find the sound it puts out on my phones to be remarkable.And for $200 bucks out of Canada you can't beat it.
Edited by popa - 12/6/10 at 6:50pmpost #14 of 2012/7/10 at 5:30am
X2 on the M Stage
Just get the Matrix M Stage or the Lovely Cube. Both are pretty much clones of the Lehmann Black Cube, there is just no way you can beat these two for driving the HD800 at that price level.
- Cheap amp for Sennheiser HD 800
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Ultra-High-End Headphones (Summit-Fi))
- › The Mosh Pit Of Death 50 seconds ago
- › Introducing the new Continental V5 portable tube amp 1 minute ago
- › If you still love Etymotic ER4, this is the thread for you... 2 minutes ago
- › NEW SONY NW-WM1Z / WM1A FLAGSHIP HI-END DAP!!! 2 minutes ago
- › LG V10 : New ESS Chipped Flagship Android Phone from LG 3 minutes ago
- › Sennheiser HD800S Unveiled! 4 minutes ago
- › Chord Mojo - The Official Thread .☆*¨*★. Please READ the 3rd... 5 minutes ago
- › Sony NWZ ZX1 + Leather Case. price dropp 6 minutes ago
- › DX200 The style has been chosen by your votes. Details of design... 6 minutes ago
- › FiiO X7 | DXD | DSD | 384K/64B | ESS9018+ Android | WiFi |... 7 minutes ago
- › Super Dolphin 6BA by RedJohn456
- › HE-5LE by audiophilehe400
- › Logitech X-540 5.1 Surround Sound Speaker System with Subwoofer by artofmanliness
- › Massdrop x HIFIMAN HE350 by reikoshea
- › Hifime Sabre 9018 USB DAC by Rish732
- › Beyerdynamic DT 770 PRO Closed Studio Headphones - 250 Ohms by Rish732
- › FiiO A1 Micro Headphone Amplifier by chef8489
- › Over Ear Headphones，Mixcder ShareMe Pro Bluetooth 4.1 Stereo HiFi... by B9Scrambler
- › DIGNIS LAETUS case for Chord Electronics Mojo by HiFiChris
- › Burson Audio Supreme Sound Opamp V5i by cleg
- › Flawless Album Suggestions
- › The Audiophile Scene in a Third World Country...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide:...
- › Chord Mojo FAQ
- › Head-Fi Logo Gear
- › All about iPod Touch 6G as digital transport
- › List of major HiFiMan HE1000 reviews,...
- › Can I change my user name? Can I delete my...