Hey I've just received some Sennheiser HD800s as a gift and have no idea what accessories I should buy. Unfortunately I have no amp or DAC and have a budget of around $250. I'll mostly be listening to classical music or rock through my computer. My sound card is an IDT High Definition Audio CODEC if that helps. I know that I won't be able to get anything great for $250 but I want to get whatever will let me get the most out of my HD800s for that price. Thanks for any imput.
Related Forum Threads
- Apex Peak/Volcano vs. Zana Deux Last post on 6/25/12 at 1:54am in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- Upgrading Amp, need help. Last post on 1/26/13 at 7:34am in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- Red Wine Audio Isabelline with Sennheiser Hd 800 Last post on 5/31/12 at 6:03pm in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- DNA Stratus 2A3 amplifier - first impressions Last post on Yesterday at 7:00 pm in High-end Audio Forum
- Schiit Mjolnir headphone amplifier Last post on Yesterday at 9:36 am in Headphone Amps (full-size)
2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Ultra-High-End Headphones (Summit-Fi))
Last edited: 12/20/13
- 2013 Head-Fi Summer Buying Guide (Ultra-High-End Headphones...Last edited: 8/2/13
- 2012 Head-Fi Holiday Gift Guide (Summit-Fi)Last edited: 12/10/13
- Diy Beginners GuideLast edited: 7/22/13
- Headphone ImpedanceLast edited: 8/18/12
I'm giving these a 4 based on sound quality alone. I'm a cheap headphone user; I've gone from cheap headphone to cheap headphone over the past decade or so. I started with the Skullcandy Ink'd...
The review will comming soon
I used these for about three months at my desk at work. The left side went out in that short time. They were great while they lasted.
Hi When i brought these i hoped that they would sound amazing. But when i tried these i noticed that there was no bass at all. I'm a bass head. Now i brought the ferrari by logic3 T150. They...
Been looking for some new closed headphones, with only three at the moment and for some time in fact. Good ones, though: Sony MDR Z1000, Sony MDR 7520, and Senn Amperiors, Sometimes you just...
Cheap amp for Sennheiser HD 800post #1 of 1911/4/10 at 10:21pmThread Starter
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #2 of 1911/4/10 at 11:33pm
How about I trade you my AD900s that require no amp at all?
Maybe have a look at the new NFB 11 from Audio-GD. It is a new DAC/Amp combo and apparently is a beautiful performer for the price. It can be had for around your budget while it is in it's promo price phase but you have to be quick before the price goes up!post #3 of 1911/5/10 at 11:14ampost #4 of 1911/5/10 at 11:30am
If you feel like taking on the assembly of a beginner level kit, the Bottlehead Crack OTL tube amp is said to pair really nicely with the HD800's. I haven't personally heard it, but there is a lengthy thread in this forum, in which one user recently commented (to the astonishment of some others) that he often prefers the Crack to his Zana (a very high end tube amp) when listening to the HD800's. (see http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/476650/crack-bottlehead-otl/390)
Here's the bottlehead site: http://www.bottlehead.com/store.php?crn=44&rn=442&action=show_detail if this sounds like something you might be interested in considering.post #5 of 1911/5/10 at 11:58ampost #6 of 1911/5/10 at 12:04pm
Have you tried soldering? It's not that difficult and you can pick it up in an hour or two or practice.
DIY really is the least expensive way to a good amp.post #7 of 1911/5/10 at 12:22pmpost #8 of 1911/7/10 at 9:13amThread Starterpost #9 of 1912/3/10 at 2:06pmpost #10 of 1912/5/10 at 10:18amQuote:Originally Posted by USAudio
If you could squeeze another $50 more into your budget maybe you could check out the Bellari HA540:
Lots of power.
The Bellari is not a great match for the HD800. I know, I have both. Of my collection, I must say that the Lehmann BCL is the best. Too bad it cost so much.post #11 of 1912/5/10 at 12:48pm
I recently purchased a FiiO E7 DAC/Amp - approx £55 from amazon UK - for listening to music via my laptop. The E7 has completely cleaned up virtually all of the noise I previously experienced when plugging headphones into my laptop's headphone out.
Yesterday, I listened to some CDs though HD800's connected to my E7 and laptop. The HD800's sounded crystal clear and ultra-detailed if a little thin and less bassy than my usual headphones (Apple in-ears/Senn HD25's), but that's probably the HD800's relative innate sound characteristic. Also, the 1/4 -> 8th inch converter plug used with the HD800's was cracked and looked like a budget model, so that probably affected the sound quality.
When I listened to some live rock recordings, the HD800's sounded very thin, but the E7's bass boost compensated for that - I think I preferred listening to rock music through my existing headphones (listed above) though - so with the E7, your HD800's will sound clearly, but with HD800's I'm not sure how the E7 compares to other amps.
I'm considering a pair of high-end headphones like the HD800 (or T1's or LCD-2's) and wondering if the FiiO E7 really does them justice. FiiO also recently released the E9 which sells for under £100 and apparently gives more power than the E7, but I haven't tried it. Has anyone experienced the FiiO E7 and/or E9 with HD800's (or other hi-end headphones for that matter?).post #12 of 1912/5/10 at 6:16pmQuote:
According to project86, there is some really great synergy between the two.post #13 of 1912/6/10 at 6:32pm
As I am new to this forum. I would suggest the MP-301 amp from Musical Paradise if you want to go for cheap tube amp. I find the sound it puts out on my phones to be remarkable.And for $200 bucks out of Canada you can't beat it.
Edited by popa - 12/6/10 at 6:50pmpost #14 of 1912/7/10 at 5:30am
X2 on the M Stage
Just get the Matrix M Stage or the Lovely Cube. Both are pretty much clones of the Lehmann Black Cube, there is just no way you can beat these two for driving the HD800 at that price level.
- Cheap amp for Sennheiser HD 800
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- 2013 Head-Fi Summer Buying Guide (Ultra-High-End Headphones...
- › Official Ipod Video / Classic 5g+5.5g+6g+6.5g+7g SSD Mod thread 19 seconds ago
- › Dasetn M760/M1/M3/AP8 earbuds Review/Impressions/Appreciation 35 seconds ago
- › Vintage HOK 80 Orthodynamics 1 minute ago
- › Grado Fan Club! 1 minute ago
- › Fostex TH600 Dynamic Headphones 2 minutes ago
- › LCD3 or LCD-X 2 minutes ago
- › I have a good soundbar at home, does this mean open headphones are... 4 minutes ago
- › [AUS] Lachlan's 'Some Headphones Are More Equal Than Others' Sale!!! 5 minutes ago
- › New HTC One M8 audio review 7 minutes ago
- › Fiio X5 Thread - info updated on Jan 17th 2014 7 minutes ago
- › Ultimate Ears 500 by az060693
- › Halide Design DAC HD by Zuqi
- › Sony MDR-ZX-700 by PurelyNicole
- › Klipsch Image S3 Nosie-Isolating Earphones with Patented Oval Ear-Tips by Arno Berck
- › Yamaha PRO 500 by zazex
- › Ultrasone HFI-450 by MrTechAgent
- › V-MODA Crossfade M-100 by zach8278
- › Ultimate Ears UE4000 Headphones by gopats1479
- › NoiseHush NX85 Stereo 3.5mm Headset with Mic - Retail Packaging -... by Mathewsa
- › LHLabs Geek Out by bhazard
- › How to find the Tokyo e-earphone shop by Currawong
- › The Best BASS Headphones ( a Head-Fi Wiki) by Hawaiibadboy
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (In-Ear... by joe
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Over-Ear... by jude
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Over-Ear... by joe
- › Adjusting bias on Stax tube amplifiers by ardilla
- › Headphone Power Calculator Spreadsheet by robrob
- › Headphone-to-Speaker-Amp Interface With... by robrob
- › Headphone Resistor Network Calculator by robrob
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide by jude