Head-Fi.org › Forums › Misc.-Category Forums › Music › Hayley Westenra
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Hayley Westenra

post #1 of 15
Thread Starter 

Whoah! Listening to Ave Maria by Haley Westenra just scratched an itch I didn't even know I had.

 

I'm so out of the loop that I didn't even know who she was until

a couple of days ago when I saw her picture as GEATDANE's avatar and got curious.

 

(can't wait to get that amp so i can REALLY hear)

 

images.jpeg

post #2 of 15

post #3 of 15

She looks like an angel on the video...charming voice!!

post #4 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by desktophifi View Post

She looks like an angel on the video...charming voice!!


I believe she is an angel.

 

Here's a more recent video that I like a lot...she looks and sounds beautiful.

 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9GZtmhlNiCI

post #5 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by LAmitchell View Post

Whoah! Listening to Ave Maria by Haley Westenra just scratched an itch I didn't even know I had.

 

I'm so out of the loop that I didn't even know who she was until

a couple of days ago when I saw her picture as GEATDANE's avatar and got curious.

 

(can't wait to get that amp so i can REALLY hear)

 

images.jpeg


Ditto. Thanks to Great Dane who also got me aware of her. I had seen her on Celtic Woman before, but they were a group and I didn't really know the individuals.

 

But yeah, I love her now.

 

You need to listen to Hayley's rendition of Kate Bush's epic classic song, "Wuthering Heights". It's one of those songs that are pretty much impossible to be covered (other singers in the past have tried, and, imo, they pretty much bombed it), but I think Hayley did an awesome job. It was the best non-Kate version that I have ever heard, and I've been trying to dig up every cover of that song.

 

 

By the way, how is "River of Dreams" different from "Best of Pure Voice"? (as in, they're both "Best of", and they have some of the same songs also) How many "Best of" albums does she have?

(also, I'm so sad "Wuthering Heights" isn't on any of them)


Edited by kingtz - 11/5/10 at 11:18pm
post #6 of 15

Haley has always been a firm fave , one I class under female vocalists with so called " angelic " qualities to their voices. 

My other angels are Izzy and Alison Krauss . Listen to "Forget about it ", sweet stuff. 

It pays to play around with phones for these girls as they pound the higher registers. 

 

I am very curious to know which phone you prefer for Haley and other Angels.

post #7 of 15

Hayley has slightly different CD's of the same basic title released in different countries...it's confusing. You will find better versions so search before you buy. Some releases will have additional songs that others lack.

 

 That video of "Wuthering Heights" is from "Live In New Zealand"  from 2005 when she was 17. There's also a studio version on a CD from 2004 released only in Japan. I recommend this DVD. Compared to other young female "stars" out there today, Hayley was clearly on another level for that age. I'm only slightly a Celtic Woman fan but the DVD release "A New Journey, Live At Slane Castle, Ireland" is a also very good...a Hayley fan should include this also.

 

Scroll down to regional albums and international albums:

 

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hayley_Westenra

 

The 2003 release "Pure" is where I recommend beginning.

post #8 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by wild4sound View Post

Haley has always been a firm fave , one I class under female vocalists with so called " angelic " qualities to their voices. 

My other angels are Izzy and Alison Krauss . Listen to "Forget about it ", sweet stuff. 

It pays to play around with phones for these girls as they pound the higher registers. 

 

I am very curious to know which phone you prefer for Haley and other Angels.



The Audeze LCD-2 for any vocals if you want it real. Which you want for Hayley but perhaps not for Laura Branigan wink.gif

post #9 of 15

Hayley does a great vocal on Mike Oldfield's Music Of The Spheres. A truly beautiful voice but I don't think the production of her stuff does her credit. Mike does.

post #10 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zorrofox View Post

Hayley does a great vocal on Mike Oldfield's Music Of The Spheres. A truly beautiful voice but I don't think the production of her stuff does her credit. Mike does.



I have that Oldfield recording ( "On My Heart" by Hayley) and it is very good. Sadly much of Hayley's CD's are not great quality but not terrible either...top cans reveal this but I'll take what I can get. I'd rather be able to hear the recording flaws/limitations rather than have them masked by lesser cans.

post #11 of 15

I agree about it being better to hear the crap than not but it's a pity that the artists don't have more say in the production. Maybe they do and they just don't have an ear for it?

post #12 of 15

I knew I'd find Dane in here =D

post #13 of 15

I started listening to Hayley Westenra after watching the second Celtic Women dvd when she spent a year in the group.  A talented singer that'll hopefully continue to produce good music. 

post #14 of 15

She's has excellent voice, any others like her?

post #15 of 15

She has a song called "Let me Lie" which is simply stunning. She has got a CD out called "Pure" that is available as an XRCD and some of her CD's are available in 24bit from Japan. 

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Music
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Misc.-Category Forums › Music › Hayley Westenra