Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › I'm very concerned about my HD650
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

I'm very concerned about my HD650

post #1 of 29
Thread Starter 

Well, what can I say. This headphone looks and sounds awesome.

 

But there is a problem. Well, three that I can point out in it's durability:

 

1 - Headband cracking. Users have reported this over years, so eventually it may happen to me as well. I certainly hope not.

2 - Ear cup swivel. If you notice, the cups can actually swivel. But, it "digs" into the headband and scratches the paint.

3 - Handband adjustment. It feels really cheap, and easy to break or snap. It's really hard to "fine tune" the headband size.

 

Maybe I'm just being a bit OCD, but I don't think so. I would expect a bit better build from something so expensive. But maybe I'm wrong? Maybe this headphone doesn't have durability issues to the severity I've explained them. It may last many, many years under proper care. But I just don't know. It's hard to "feel good" keeping a headphone that even though looks great and sounds wonderful, but seems like it will "give out on you" at any second.

 

That worries me...

 

The thing that really surprises me is the cups are actually "supposed" to swivel. But, at first it is really stiff because the paint hasn't been scratched off yet. HD650 owners, have you noticed the "V" shape where the top of the cup meets the metal bar? If you look at the metal bar, it can actually move a bit either way, due to the "V" shape. But, it scratches the paint off the metal bar (where you cannot see it) in order to do so. Anyone else notice?

 

Anyway, if possible, HD650 owners chime and speak your knowledge about the durability, if you will.


Edited by Katun - 11/4/10 at 7:59am
post #2 of 29

The headband cracking only happens to people trying to loosen up the headband because they think the grip is too tight. I once read someone put his HD650 around his pc all night, overextending the headband. The following morning, the headband consisted of 2 pieces, rather then one. Overextending the headband also flakes off the paint btw.

 

I agree with the cheap feeling headband adjustment. It always wants to be either pushed in entirely, or extended to the max lol. But i don't really mind, because you only have to adjust it once anyway. And once adjusted, the same "flaw" prevents it from adjusting accidentally.

 

I see what you mean with the ear cup swiveling. There's only a very small part of the paint touching the metal though, and even if it were to become scratched, you wouldn't see it anyway.

post #3 of 29
Thread Starter 

I just hope the headband doesn't randomly explode on me...


Edited by Katun - 11/29/10 at 10:45am
post #4 of 29

I agree the construction isn't the greatest in terms of durability, but if you handle them with a little care, the HD650s can last for many years without any cosmetic or functional damage.

post #5 of 29

What aggrevates me is that one pays so much money for them, you'd expect that it's durable. I had a similer problem with the HD595.

post #6 of 29
There is something wrong with you.
post #7 of 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by MomijiTMO View Post

There is something wrong with you.


Undoubtedly!

post #8 of 29

I had a pair for three years.  Didn't have any problem with them.  I didn't go out of my way to bend, twist, etc.

 

The adjustment might be built better, but I found that I adjusted it once and left it there.  My head does not change size, so it seemed unnecessary to fiddle with it.

post #9 of 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Erik View Post

 My head does not change size


wow, well you're a weirdo. 

 

I think the op is being a bit paranoid.  Just because a bit of paint chips off doesn't mean they are going to explode and kill millions of people...

post #10 of 29
I have what is probably one of the first run of HD650's, so it's as old as any HD650 out there. Anyone who knows me knows my portable stuff usually takes a beating, and I've often treated the HD650 as a portable piece, transporting it back and forth, from home to work and back (though I have a couple of HD600's, I have only one HD650). It definitely does not look brand new, thanks to the relative cruelty it has seen, crammed into backpacks and messenger bags.

Nothing about it has given me any concerns about its durability. And it still sounds fantastic.

The HD600 (built quite similarly) and the HD650 together are owned by thousands upon thousands of Head-Fi'ers. Your thread topic hasn't been one I've seen as common (at all). In other words, I think you're worrying about this way too much.

Put it on your head, and listen to music. There you'll find its strengths (as opposed to in your right hand, magnifying glass in your left).
post #11 of 29

I don't quite understand why some people are having to really stretch these out. I have a melon of a head and all I had to do was pull out the ear pieces away from the headband and that really reduces the clamping force, as well as make them fit my ears perfectly.

 

My only issue is when I wear my glasses. Then the headbands clamp really tightly and press my glasses into the side of my head, giving me a headache. If I pull out my glasses forward so they don't press into the side of my head, then it changes the optics and that give me an even worse headache.

post #12 of 29

That's a big tasty head you've got there biggrin.gif

post #13 of 29

User movable parts = bad. The most there should be is an adjustable headband, but I prefer to not have one.

Whether the moving parts actually affects the build quality of the phone depends on the phone. My HD555 is pretty much all plastic, the cups are meant to swivel as there's some sort of screw forming the fulcrum. 

Look at audio technica's AD series. There's nothing that you can move that will take offence from being moved the other way very quickly. The cups swivel well on a large screw which shows no signs of weakness. There is a bit of creaking when you squeeze the cups but it has no effect on the build quality.

I know my headphones will easily outlast my favour, but when something doesn't feel sturdy in my hands it really hurts me to move it around.

 

K701 has too many split parts; the cup itself is made up of at least 3 separate pieces (that are not meant to be replaceable) which is ok because of the way they put it together, but another manufacturer may not be able to manage that *cough sennheiser**. HD800 does not look sturdy at all. I've tried several pairs, the most memorable build wise was one at a shopping centre which was passed around more than a salt shaker. The adjustment mechanism felt extremely strong. The outside of the cups not so much. Just look at a picture.

 

DT880 doesn't inspire confidence with its hinges and wires poking out with barely a swivel mechanism, but the materials used felt pretty solid.

I prefer my headphones to not have any moving parts if I'm not going to eve take it outside. The K701 and AD900 do this correctly. AD900 grills are weak to denting though...


Edited by Trysaeder - 11/5/10 at 1:10am
post #14 of 29

 

A bit? This is the most OCD thread I've ever read.

 

Think I'll go and wash my hands now. Then I think I'll wash them again....


 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katun View Post

Maybe I'm just being a bit OCD 

 


Edited by pp312 - 11/5/10 at 3:51am
post #15 of 29
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by SEv6 View Post

What aggrevates me is that one pays so much money for them, you'd expect that it's durable. I had a similer problem with the HD595.


Exactly. I don't expect it to be solid titanium, but I don't want it flimsy plastic either.
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhythmdevils View Post

I think the op is being a bit paranoid.  Just because a bit of paint chips off doesn't mean they are going to explode and kill millions of people...


Yeah, I am. It worsens as the headphones get more expensive and the quality degrades.

 

I'm not worried about the paint, it's the creaking in the headband every time I even so "move" it. Sounds like it will crack from the inside out!

 

(I'm extra paranoid the more expensive something is...)

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jude View Post

I have what is probably one of the first run of HD650's, so it's as old as any HD650 out there. Anyone who knows me knows my portable stuff usually takes a beating, and I've often treated the HD650 as a portable piece, transporting it back and forth, from home to work and back (though I have a couple of HD600's, I have only one HD650). It definitely does not look brand new, thanks to the relative cruelty it has seen, crammed into backpacks and messenger bags.

Nothing about it has given me any concerns about its durability. And it still sounds fantastic.

The HD600 (built quite similarly) and the HD650 together are owned by thousands upon thousands of Head-Fi'ers. Your thread topic hasn't been one I've seen as common (at all). In other words, I think you're worrying about this way too much.

Put it on your head, and listen to music. There you'll find its strengths (as opposed to in your right hand, magnifying glass in your left).


Thanks for the enlightening words.

 

I've never thought of it that way. You have definitely restored some confidence.
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingtz View Post

I don't quite understand why some people are having to really stretch these out. I have a melon of a head and all I had to do was pull out the ear pieces away from the headband and that really reduces the clamping force, as well as make them fit my ears perfectly.

 

My only issue is when I wear my glasses. Then the headbands clamp really tightly and press my glasses into the side of my head, giving me a headache. If I pull out my glasses forward so they don't press into the side of my head, then it changes the optics and that give me an even worse headache.


To tell you the truth, I'm pretty sure they have more clamping force than the M50...

 

I was very careful to stretch them. I bend the "metal bars only" and that seemed to help a lot. I then left them on my glass mannequin head for a few days. They are MUCH more bearable now.
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trysaeder View Post

User movable parts = bad. The most there should be is an adjustable headband, but I prefer to not have one.

Whether the moving parts actually affects the build quality of the phone depends on the phone. My HD555 is pretty much all plastic, the cups are meant to swivel as there's some sort of screw forming the fulcrum. 

Look at audio technica's AD series. There's nothing that you can move that will take offence from being moved the other way very quickly. The cups swivel well on a large screw which shows no signs of weakness. There is a bit of creaking when you squeeze the cups but it has no effect on the build quality.

I know my headphones will easily outlast my favour, but when something doesn't feel sturdy in my hands it really hurts me to move it around.

 

K701 has too many split parts; the cup itself is made up of at least 3 separate pieces (that are not meant to be replaceable) which is ok because of the way they put it together, but another manufacturer may not be able to manage that *cough sennheiser**. HD800 does not look sturdy at all. I've tried several pairs, the most memorable build wise was one at a shopping centre which was passed around more than a salt shaker. The adjustment mechanism felt extremely strong. The outside of the cups not so much. Just look at a picture.

 

DT880 doesn't inspire confidence with its hinges and wires poking out with barely a swivel mechanism, but the materials used felt pretty solid.

I prefer my headphones to not have any moving parts if I'm not going to eve take it outside. The K701 and AD900 do this correctly. AD900 grills are weak to denting though...


K701 was the first headphone I have ever worried about. I read about soldering joints coming undone, elastics breaking, ear cups cracking, etc.

 

The DT880 was probably the most durable headphone I've owned. Very, very solidly built. No worries at all there.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by pp312 View Post

 

A bit? This is the most OCD thread I've ever read.

 

Think I'll go and wash my hands now. Then I think I'll wash them again....

 

 

Yes, I am OCD. But it's not nearly that bad...

 

(It's worse the more expensive something is -- and how bad I wouldn't want to lose it)

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jude View Post

Put it on your head, and listen to music. There you'll find its strengths (as opposed to in your right hand, magnifying glass in your left).

 

Hey, that's a great one! I'll definitely remember that.


Edited by Katun - 11/5/10 at 7:11am
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › I'm very concerned about my HD650