im looking to get these for a long plane trip and also to listen when just walking around to work and stuff and on the metro, hopefully they do well
Recent Images In This Thread
- productEtymotic Research ER4S MicroPro Reference Earphonestagged by System, 1/24/11
- productEtymotic Research HF3tagged by System, 11/3/10
- categoryIn Eartagged by System, 11/3/10
- productSpider "realvoice" Vertical in the Ear Headphonetagged by System, 6/27/11
Related Forum Threads
- Ety's vs. Fischer? Last post on 9/21/12 at 3:11pm in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- Custom Molds: Can I use on multiple headphones? Last post on 9/18/12 at 12:15pm in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- Need help choosing out of these 8 IEMs (First time here :P ) Last post on 7/25/12 at 6:45pm in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- Etymotic Custom Tips- Who's gotten them? Last post on 7/22/12 at 4:21am in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- earplug/iem custom Last post on 8/5/11 at 7:57pm in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones)
Last edited: 11/28/16
- Top Tier Universal Iem Comparison Chart And InformationLast edited: 6/22/16
- Basic Guide To In Ear CanalphonesLast edited: 3/22/12
These headphones are made for listening to modern extreme genres of loud brickwalled poor-quality metal. They smoothen out spikiness and make drums sound so powerful and quick as if your head was...
Greetings, We all know it's coming, whether we like it or not. The wireless wave is upon us. Pretty much every major earphone manufacturer has a wireless option, and there are countless others...
Etymotic hf3 Review - Page 4
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #47 of 9211/20/11 at 2:31am
Thank you for the great review! With the great price currently at Amazon - $130, I couldn't pass. While I'm in general happy with the sound quality, the tips provided are not so good as noted by several people in this thread. The real deal-breaker for me is that you can't wear them with the cable over the ear since it makes the control/mic nearly useless. I tried calling my wife on my way home from work and the experience DID NOT make her happy. My attempt to unloop the cable from my ear and hold it by my mouth didn't help any either (in hind-sight, I probably had my thumb over the mic hole while trying to hold it). I had sent an e-mail to Etymotic hoping for a better solution but this thread has me believing that for me and my wearing of cables over the ears will have them sent back despite sound quality and isolation that I find quite enjoyable :-(post #48 of 9211/20/11 at 1:12pmThread Starterpost #49 of 9211/20/11 at 11:07pm
There are two deals going for under $100. 1 from a 3rd party on Amazon, 1 from Amazon.
Just tried the HF5 today, and their bass was actually a lot more than I expected. Very precise, toned bass. No boominess. They reach pretty deep into the sub-bass too, so I don't think these will be a problem for hip-hop lovers.post #50 of 9211/28/11 at 8:05pm
These are my favorite iems. I'm the kind of person who likes options. My favorite setup is the Hf3s with custom tips, inline volume control, a Fiio E6 amp on the 1st bass boost, and an LOD. I turn the E6 almost all the way up and use the inline volume as intended. To my humble ears they sound, isolate, and feel better than any Shure or Klipsch I've put in my head, and I get the option to use the mic and controls. The whole set up cost me around $280. Can't beat it.post #51 of 9211/28/11 at 8:23pmpost #52 of 9211/28/11 at 8:37pmpost #53 of 9211/28/11 at 8:55pmQuote:
Excellent, thanks! I couldn't really see a situation where I would need the mic when I bought them, but that day the HF3s were only $4 more than the HF5s on amazon, so I figured "why not?" lol.post #54 of 9211/29/11 at 10:56ampost #55 of 9211/29/11 at 11:06amQuote:
If both are set at the same level, I think the power they get should be more or less the same. Maybe your iMac has a better DAC/soundcard/audiocodec in it.post #56 of 9211/29/11 at 11:15am
I have no idea to be honest, they are far louder on the iMac, I have to keep the volume quite a bit lower while on the iPhone I'm getting past 3/4's
Also more bass and just generally sound better. I put all this down to them getting more power but as you can tell I'm new to all this.post #57 of 9212/2/11 at 4:25am
Quote:Originally Posted by J.M
I have no idea to be honest, they are far louder on the Mac, I have to keep the volume quite a bit lower while on the iPhone I'm getting past 3/4's
Also more bass and just generally sound better. I put all this down to them getting more power but as you can tell I'm new to all this.
huh, the hf3s have pretty low impedance (16 ohms), so your iphone should have no problem powering them. i use an amp, but really just for the eq settings. i find that the iphone eq "adds more bass" turning down the mids and treble. when i want the amp to add more bass, that's exactly what it does.
also, if your turning your iphone up to 3/4, then you are either not wearing them deep enough, or you need to see an audiologist.post #58 of 9212/2/11 at 6:41am
Since I downloaded EQu I've noticed a definite improvement in the sound quality.
I don't think I could get them any further in, I'm using the larger triple flange which seems ok, when I use the small one they go so far in the wire is pushing into my outer ear and I don't feel like the seal is as good.
I do have slight bit of tinnitus, I like my music loud and it has gotten a little worse over the past week.post #59 of 921/3/12 at 2:13pm
I've been purposely staying off of Head-Fi for the last 2+ years (an addict's gotta go cold turkey!), but had to get back on to see some reviews of iPhone-compatible earphones after my custom Freqs were stolen out of my car.
Writing to say how thrilled I am with the HF3 that I bought on Sunday after reading this thread. It helped that the HF3s were $78 on unadvertised clearance at local Best Buy. And it will be even cooler when I get my custom ear molds (getting impressions next week).
They HF3 sound very good straight out of my iPhone 3GS. The isolation with really amateur- and gross-looking "slider" plugs is outstanding. I tried the triple flanges (small, probably should've tried large) and thought they were seriously awful. Hope the custom molds will look better, last longer and help with SQ compared to sliders. As expected, bass is lighter, but it is definitely there. The bass and sound overall are even better out of my Pico and Gilmour Lite. Clarity and instrument positioning were real "wow" surprises.
Will try to post a few more impressions later, if I'm not purposefully staying off Head-Fi again for another few years. :)Return HomeBack to Forum: Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- Etymotic hf3 Review
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- Top Tier Universal Iem Comparison Chart And Information
- › MrSpeakers Alpha Dog - Red Finish - Closed Planar Magnetic Headphones 13 seconds ago
- › Fidelizer appreciation and impressions thread 18 seconds ago
- › Chord Mojo issue solutions thread. 1 minute ago
- › Vinyl sounds better than digitial if you ... 2 minutes ago
- › Audeze iSINE 10 & iSINE 20: Audeze releases two new IEM planar... 4 minutes ago
- › Aurisonics AS/ASG-1 Plus Information and Discussions 4 minutes ago
- › Audeze LCD-2 Impressions Thread 5 minutes ago
- › Monoprice Monolith M1060 and M560 Planar Headphones 5 minutes ago
- › Schiit Mjolnir 2 Listening Impressions 5 minutes ago
- › NEW SONY NW-WM1Z / WM1A FLAGSHIP HI-END DAP!!! 6 minutes ago
- › Panasonic RP-HT460E-K by PETEBULL
- › SoundPEATS Wireless Earbuds, True Wireless Stereo Bluetooth 4.2... by B9Scrambler
- › Soundmagic E10BT by msturg29
- › Brainwavz BLU-Delta Bluetooth Earbud Wireless Noise Isolating... by msturg29
- › 1MORE iBFree Bluetooth In-Ear Headphones by msturg29
- › Avantree Clari Air by msturg29
- › Wireless Bluetooth Earbuds Stereo Headphones, Ghostek Silencer... by msturg29
- › 1MORE MK802 Bluetooth Wireless Over-Ear Headphones with Apple iOS... by Hisoundfi
- › Focal Utopia by Currawong
- › HiLisening MaGaosi Newest High end Detachable Design K3 In-Ear HiFi... by Cinder
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Travel Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (CanJams)
- › FiiO X3II DAP firmwares with custom themes
- › Flawless Album Suggestions
- › The Audiophile Scene in a Third World Country...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide:...
- › Chord Mojo FAQ
- › Head-Fi Logo Gear