im looking to get these for a long plane trip and also to listen when just walking around to work and stuff and on the metro, hopefully they do well
Recent Images In This Thread
- productEtymotic Research ER4S MicroPro Reference Earphonestagged by System, 1/24/11
- productEtymotic Research HF3tagged by System, 11/3/10
- categoryIn Eartagged by System, 11/3/10
- productSpider "realvoice" Vertical in the Ear Headphonetagged by System, 6/27/11
Related Forum Threads
- Ety's vs. Fischer? Last post on 9/21/12 at 3:11pm in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- Custom Molds: Can I use on multiple headphones? Last post on 9/18/12 at 12:15pm in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- Need help choosing out of these 8 IEMs (First time here :P ) Last post on 7/25/12 at 6:45pm in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- Etymotic Custom Tips- Who's gotten them? Last post on 7/22/12 at 4:21am in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- earplug/iem custom Last post on 8/5/11 at 7:57pm in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 3
Last edited: 7/3/14
- Top Tier Universal Iem Comparison Chart And InformationLast edited: 5/7/10
- Basic Guide To In Ear CanalphonesLast edited: 3/22/12
I'd say this is a great set of IEMs for its price if you're looking for that consumer v-shaped sound sig. It's not the most balanced sound sig, but for what it is, it sounds pretty good. The mids...
As of September 2014, the HE-400 has been discontinued, and it's successor, the HE-400i is being sold in its place. So why publish, or even read, a review now? First, there are many used...
DAC OCU(B) 1866 — very interesting portable DAC/amp combo from Russian manufacturer Myst. Things I like: — Nice look. As OCUB is made in small quantities, it uses stock case, but case is fully...
Note: I'm not sure why, but for whatever reason the little bars at the side aren't matching what I put them to. Audio Quality, Design, and Value I all consider to be top notch, with comfort having...
This is a review of Bowers & Wilkins B&W C5 Series 2 (new 2014 version) in-ear premium headphones with in-line remote....
Etymotic hf3 Review - Page 4
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #47 of 8911/20/11 at 2:31am
Thank you for the great review! With the great price currently at Amazon - $130, I couldn't pass. While I'm in general happy with the sound quality, the tips provided are not so good as noted by several people in this thread. The real deal-breaker for me is that you can't wear them with the cable over the ear since it makes the control/mic nearly useless. I tried calling my wife on my way home from work and the experience DID NOT make her happy. My attempt to unloop the cable from my ear and hold it by my mouth didn't help any either (in hind-sight, I probably had my thumb over the mic hole while trying to hold it). I had sent an e-mail to Etymotic hoping for a better solution but this thread has me believing that for me and my wearing of cables over the ears will have them sent back despite sound quality and isolation that I find quite enjoyable :-(post #48 of 8911/20/11 at 1:12pmThread Starterpost #49 of 8911/20/11 at 11:07pm
There are two deals going for under $100. 1 from a 3rd party on Amazon, 1 from Amazon.
Just tried the HF5 today, and their bass was actually a lot more than I expected. Very precise, toned bass. No boominess. They reach pretty deep into the sub-bass too, so I don't think these will be a problem for hip-hop lovers.post #50 of 8911/28/11 at 8:05pm
These are my favorite iems. I'm the kind of person who likes options. My favorite setup is the Hf3s with custom tips, inline volume control, a Fiio E6 amp on the 1st bass boost, and an LOD. I turn the E6 almost all the way up and use the inline volume as intended. To my humble ears they sound, isolate, and feel better than any Shure or Klipsch I've put in my head, and I get the option to use the mic and controls. The whole set up cost me around $280. Can't beat it.post #51 of 8911/28/11 at 8:23pmpost #52 of 8911/28/11 at 8:37pmpost #53 of 8911/28/11 at 8:55pmQuote:
Excellent, thanks! I couldn't really see a situation where I would need the mic when I bought them, but that day the HF3s were only $4 more than the HF5s on amazon, so I figured "why not?" lol.post #54 of 8911/29/11 at 10:56ampost #55 of 8911/29/11 at 11:06amQuote:
If both are set at the same level, I think the power they get should be more or less the same. Maybe your iMac has a better DAC/soundcard/audiocodec in it.post #56 of 8911/29/11 at 11:15am
I have no idea to be honest, they are far louder on the iMac, I have to keep the volume quite a bit lower while on the iPhone I'm getting past 3/4's
Also more bass and just generally sound better. I put all this down to them getting more power but as you can tell I'm new to all this.post #57 of 8912/2/11 at 4:25am
Quote:Originally Posted by J.M
I have no idea to be honest, they are far louder on the Mac, I have to keep the volume quite a bit lower while on the iPhone I'm getting past 3/4's
Also more bass and just generally sound better. I put all this down to them getting more power but as you can tell I'm new to all this.
huh, the hf3s have pretty low impedance (16 ohms), so your iphone should have no problem powering them. i use an amp, but really just for the eq settings. i find that the iphone eq "adds more bass" turning down the mids and treble. when i want the amp to add more bass, that's exactly what it does.
also, if your turning your iphone up to 3/4, then you are either not wearing them deep enough, or you need to see an audiologist.post #58 of 8912/2/11 at 6:41am
Since I downloaded EQu I've noticed a definite improvement in the sound quality.
I don't think I could get them any further in, I'm using the larger triple flange which seems ok, when I use the small one they go so far in the wire is pushing into my outer ear and I don't feel like the seal is as good.
I do have slight bit of tinnitus, I like my music loud and it has gotten a little worse over the past week.post #59 of 891/3/12 at 2:13pm
I've been purposely staying off of Head-Fi for the last 2+ years (an addict's gotta go cold turkey!), but had to get back on to see some reviews of iPhone-compatible earphones after my custom Freqs were stolen out of my car.
Writing to say how thrilled I am with the HF3 that I bought on Sunday after reading this thread. It helped that the HF3s were $78 on unadvertised clearance at local Best Buy. And it will be even cooler when I get my custom ear molds (getting impressions next week).
They HF3 sound very good straight out of my iPhone 3GS. The isolation with really amateur- and gross-looking "slider" plugs is outstanding. I tried the triple flanges (small, probably should've tried large) and thought they were seriously awful. Hope the custom molds will look better, last longer and help with SQ compared to sliders. As expected, bass is lighter, but it is definitely there. The bass and sound overall are even better out of my Pico and Gilmour Lite. Clarity and instrument positioning were real "wow" surprises.
Will try to post a few more impressions later, if I'm not purposefully staying off Head-Fi again for another few years. :)Return HomeBack to Forum: Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- Etymotic hf3 Review
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- Top Tier Universal Iem Comparison Chart And Information
- › New Audeze LCD3 5 seconds ago
- › A New Apex product!!! Name it HERE!!! 13 seconds ago
- › Asus Essence One Headphone Amp/DAC (CeBIT 2011) 1 minute ago
- › The Xiaomi Pistons Thread 2.0 2 minutes ago
- › V-Moda LP2 vs M-100?? 2 minutes ago
- › [FS] Triad Audio Lisa III Set 2 minutes ago
- › The Fiio X3 Thread. 2 minutes ago
- › FiiO X1, the new start of the high-res DAP with individual DAC and... 3 minutes ago
- › MrSpeakers Alpha Dog Revealed! - The World's First Production... 5 minutes ago
- › Fiio X5 Thread - info updated on Jan 17th 2014 6 minutes ago
- › Xiaomi Pistons 2.0 MK301 by Midgetguy
- › HiFiMAN HE-400 by Rajikaru
- › MyST 1866 by cleg
- › The Enigma by Levaix
- › Bowers & Wilkins C5 S2 In-Ear Headphones, Black by twister6
- › MEElectronics M9-BK Hi-Fi Sound-Isolating Earphones (Black) by lin0003
- › Brainwavz R3 Revised Edition by twister6
- › Audio-Technica ATH-M50x by Michaelc136
- › Brainwavz S5 In Ear Headphones by Kamakahah
- › Comply Custom Wraps by ClieOS
- › The Great FiiO DAP FAQ Wiki
- › Audio Connections between components --...
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Introduction)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Gaming Headphones)