or Connect
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › PS1000 Impressions Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

PS1000 Impressions Thread - Page 45

post #661 of 3411
Quote:
Originally Posted by stacker45 View Post

I have been running the Little Dot 1+ for about a month now, and I'm very impressed by the sound quality that this inexpensive amp can give. It's as if it was voice for Grado headphones. I have tryed it wit my SR80i, and my GS/PS/HP1000, and it matches great with all of them. I like it so much, that I just ordered another one today for my second system, in my den.

 

Now to answer fastfox1306's question, i say, if you can stretch your budget just a little, get the PS1000 and a Little Dot 1+, if not, then get the GS1000i with a Little Dot 1+, that way you'll stay within your budget, and you'll still get the lion's share of what you would get with the PS1000.

 

That's my two cents, but what do i know!

I actually pulled the trigger on the ps1000's. I got them for $1200 shipped. Supposedly they are in mint condition and rarely used. My overall plan is to ultimately get a woo audio amp, but that has to wait for another 5-6 months or so until I get the money (should I get the little dot to hold me over?). I am excited about the ps1000's and I'll give them a month or two and if I don't like them, I may revert back to the GS1000i's. I loved those headphones. I appreciate the help everyone. I cannot wait to receive the headphones. 

post #662 of 3411
Quote:
Originally Posted by bbophead View Post

Careful, you might wind up actually liking these.

 

popcorn.gif

 

we'll see

 

cause as of now the Beyerdynamic T1 seems to be the reason i haven't kept any of the previous grados i own. it has soundstage, imaging, speed, detail, bass, warmth, naturalness, linearity, transients, coherency, accuracy, extension, transparency, resolution, engagement, and musicality that no grado can touch (except maybe the HP1000, which i have yet to hear).

 

the T1 is basically the grado PS2000 biggrin.gif


Edited by Dubstep Girl - 8/31/13 at 8:24pm
post #663 of 3411
Quote:
Originally Posted by fastfox1306 View Post

I actually pulled the trigger on the ps1000's. I got them for $1200 shipped. Supposedly they are in mint condition and rarely used. My overall plan is to ultimately get a woo audio amp, but that has to wait for another 5-6 months or so until I get the money (should I get the little dot to hold me over?). I am excited about the ps1000's and I'll give them a month or two and if I don't like them, I may revert back to the GS1000i's. I loved those headphones. I appreciate the help everyone. I cannot wait to receive the headphones. 

 

Congratz on the PS1000, i hope you like them as much as i do, as for getting the Little Dot 1+, i thought about getting a Woo, but decided to give the Little Dot a shot first, and to be honest, i have absolutely no intention of changing it any time soon, in fact, i just ordered a second one yesterday, that's how much i like it.

 

Also, unless i am mistaking, Dubstep Girl, has a Woo, and doesn't seem very satified with the result of the Woo/PS1000 combination.

 

I guess she's going to ''dubstep'' in, and comment this, soon enough biggrin.gif

post #664 of 3411
Quote:
Originally Posted by stacker45 View Post

Congratz on the PS1000, i hope you like them as much as i do, as for getting the Little Dot 1+, i thought about getting a Woo, but decided to give the Little Dot a shot first, and to be honest, i have absolutely no intention of changing it any time soon, in fact, i just ordered a second one yesterday, that's how much i like it.

Also, unless i am mistaking, Dubstep Girl, has a Woo, and doesn't seem very satified with the result of the Woo/PS1000 combination.

I guess she's going to ''dubstep'' in, and comment this, soon enough biggrin.gif

Don't think it's the amp she's unhappy with. I can't imagine Little Dot 1+ doing a better job than WA6SE - even if it is highly regarded with the lower budget Grados.
post #665 of 3411

more listening tonight

 

they definitely seem alot better in the midrange and bass when the pads are well adjusted and the headband tightened, these are even more sensitive to placement than the rest of the grados. seems like they're still way too bright and unnatural in the treble though. unless you're listening to audiophile music, they are very fatiguing. even then, they are quite peaky, even more than SR325is. 

 

seemed a little better but still bright with 6DE7 (warm tube) and EML 5U4G (warm but extended tube).

 

trying it with Brimar 5R4GY now (really warm thick tube, but somewhat recessed mids, which can be a bad thing).

 

the bass and detail is nice though, definitely a step up from the previous grados, though not by alot.

 

if i can find the perfect solution to taming the treble, or if grado came out with a PS1000i and lowered the 10k peak by like 6-8 dB, and priced it at no more than $1000, i think we would have a real winner here, a grado that would be very well balanced and very fun and musical.


Edited by Dubstep Girl - 9/1/13 at 4:25am
post #666 of 3411

Maybe it's just me, but it rubs me the wrong way to see you keep writing Grado and not use the capital G, after all, like them or not, it's still a familly name, can we show a little respect, please?

 

And why would Grado go to the trouble of building a PS1000i, and price it at ''no more than $1000'', when the competition flagships are mostly priced way above $1000, Grado is a small familly own buisness, they can't rely on the economy of scale that the big companys benefit from.

post #667 of 3411
Quote:
Originally Posted by stacker45 View Post

Maybe it's just me, but it rubs me the wrong way to see you keep writing Grado and not use the capital G, after all, like them or not, it's still a familly name, can we show a little respect, please?

 

And why would Grado go to the trouble of building a PS1000i, and price it at ''no more than $1000'', when the competition flagships are mostly priced way above $1000, Grado is a small familly own buisness, they can't rely on the economy of scale that the big companys benefit from.

 

they went through the trouble of making "i" revisions for all their previous headphones, as well as making some really good headphones that where only limited edition and all sorts of different things like that, i think a PS1000i would be nice. and might help it sell a little more. 

 

also i don't see what the big deal is with grado and Grado, its just the company, sure its a family name, but i'm referring to the company here lol, not really a big deal, plus usually when i write this stuff, i'm on my ipad or in the car or something, so its kinda hard to capitalize stuff.

 

and i don't think grado is a small family business, yeah its still family owned and operated, and they don't have alot of employees, but they sell quite alot of headphones, have a solid reputation and have been in business for many many years. they make a ton of cartridges, entry level headphones, and high ends, and have enough money to be able to make everything and whatnot. i don't think they're a small company. small would be like eddie current, woo audio, cavalli, dna audio, etc. even the abyss and audeze, thats smaller. well even audeze is kinda big now,  as well as schiit audio. grado unlike these companies, has MILLIONS!!!! not as big as beyer or senn, but big enough.


Edited by Dubstep Girl - 9/1/13 at 12:15pm
post #668 of 3411

My grado dealer said that grado will be releasing new high end cartridges and possibly a new grado flagship in the next two years. He says grado is aiming to improve comfort and give the headphone an improved finish and solid construction. I hope grado could do that, I'm sure they can make something competitive with other brands (if not better than) and much better than the grado ps1000 and gs1000. The current grado line-up is kind of due for a nice upgrade, no matter how much you like their current offerings.

 

I am an optimistic person, and think that grado, with all these years of experience, will spend a fair amount in R&D and do a great job. I also hope grado brings something new to the table in terms of earpads.

 

We shall see!

post #669 of 3411

I often use the comparison between Magnepan and Grado, because they have so much in common it's just crazy. Both are venerable American companies that have thousands of loyal customers. Both also make products that detractors say are outdated, built poorly, etc. Magnepan's line of speakers had gone unchanged for over a decade until they made some small changes to the current line a year ago. I may be in the minority here, but I'm glad that Grado doesn't often give in to those who criticize them for not using state of the art materials or making this change or that to their products. My Magnepans are a model from the previous line, which means they're a design that is well over 10-12 years old. But you know what? Whenever I hear the latest and greatest speakers out there - even the new flagship $40,000 Vandersteens I heard most recently - I more often than not find myself saying, "yeah, those are nice...but they aren't my Maggies!"  

 

I'm not saying I don't want Grado to consider making changes to their phones, but I'm not one who will ever be on their backs because they're not trying to be Sennheiser. 

post #670 of 3411
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dubstep Girl View Post

 

they went through the trouble of making "i" revisions for all their previous headphones, as well as making some really good headphones that where only limited edition and all sorts of different things like that, i think a PS1000i would be nice. and might help it sell a little more. 

 

also i don't see what the big deal is with grado and Grado, its just the company, sure its a family name, but i'm referring to the company here lol, not really a big deal, plus usually when i write this stuff, i'm on my ipad or in the car or something, so its kinda hard to capitalize stuff.

 

and i don't think grado is a small family business, yeah its still family owned and operated, and they don't have alot of employees, but they sell quite alot of headphones, have a solid reputation and have been in business for many many years. they make a ton of cartridges, entry level headphones, and high ends, and have enough money to be able to make everything and whatnot. i don't think they're a small company. small would be like eddie current, woo audio, cavalli, dna audio, etc. even the abyss and audeze, thats smaller. well even audeze is kinda big now,  as well as schiit audio. grado unlike these companies, has MILLIONS!!!! not as big as beyer or senn, but big enough.

 

I thought I had a hard time following you before, but now you have completly lost me!.confused.gif

 

First: A PS1000 ''i'',

Why would Grado work at developping a new improved version of their flagship headphones, and price them lower than the GS1000i, wich are currently their second most expensive headphones. To be honest I don't have a problem with Grado's headphone pricing, in fact, I think that some models are real bagains, the SR60i, SR80i, come to mind, also, I think that the PS500 and RS1i still offer a very good price vs performance ratio. 

 

Second: The capital ''G''

Maybe it's just me, although I hope not, but to me, respect is VERY important, and spelling someone's name correctly, is just one way of showing it. You might want to re read this phrase that you wrote,  ''when i write this stuff, i'm on my ipad or in the car or something, so its kinda hard to capitalize stuff.'' and yet, you find a way to use capital letters to write headphones and tubes model numbers, but don't show the same courtesy to write someone's name. We obviously don't agree on this matter, so I won't say anymore on the subject.

 

Third: Grado, A small company.

You and I definately don't have the same definition of what a small company is, here's the way I see it, Sennheiser = big, Grado = small, Sennheiser probably has more people working in the employee's cafeteria, than Grado has making hradphones.

post #671 of 3411
Quote:
Originally Posted by stacker45 View Post

 

I thought I had a hard time following you before, but now you have completly lost me!.confused.gif

 

First: A PS1000 ''i'',

Why would Grado work at developping a new improved version of their flagship headphones, and price them lower than the GS1000i, wich are currently their second most expensive headphones. To be honest I don't have a problem with Grado's headphone pricing, in fact, I think that some models are real bagains, the SR60i, SR80i, come to mind, also, I think that the PS500 and RS1i still offer a very good price vs performance ratio. 

 

Second: The capital ''G''

Maybe it's just me, although I hope not, but to me, respect is VERY important, and spelling someone's name correctly, is just one way of showing it. You might want to re read this phrase that you wrote,  ''when i write this stuff, i'm on my ipad or in the car or something, so its kinda hard to capitalize stuff.'' and yet, you find a way to use capital letters to write headphones and tubes model numbers, but don't show the same courtesy to write someone's name. We obviously don't agree on this matter, so I won't say anymore on the subject.

 

Third: Grado, A small company.

You and I definately don't have the same definition of what a small company is, here's the way I see it, Sennheiser = big, Grado = small, Sennheiser probably has more people working in the employee's cafeteria, than Grado has making hradphones.

well of course if that happened, grado would have to lower the prices on their other headphones, which might be a good or bad thing depending on how much it costs them to make. they made a GS1000i, im sure a PS1000i couldn't be that hard to make, i just feel they would have to rework their prices. even if the 60 and 80 are some of the better bargains, the other grados aren't. the ps500 are pretty good as well as the RS1i, but remember that the HE-500 is also about the same price...

post #672 of 3411

Why can't you imagine the Little Dot 1+ doing a better job than the WA6SE at driving the PS1000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony1110 View Post


Don't think it's the amp she's unhappy with. I can't imagine Little Dot 1+ doing a better job than WA6SE - even if it is highly regarded with the lower budget Grados.

 

I never said that I thought that she's unhappy with the amp, if you go back and read my post, it says, ''the Woo/PS1000 combination'', combination being the key word here.

 

Why can't you imagine the Little Dot 1+ doing a better job than the WA6SE at driving the PS1000?

post #673 of 3411
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dubstep Girl View Post

well of course if that happened, grado would have to lower the prices on their other headphones, which might be a good or bad thing depending on how much it costs them to make. they made a GS1000i, im sure a PS1000i couldn't be that hard to make, i just feel they would have to rework their prices. even if the 60 and 80 are some of the better bargains, the other grados aren't. the ps500 are pretty good as well as the RS1i, but remember that the HE-500 is also about the same price...

 

I'm afraid that if Grado rework their prices, they're going to raise them, not lower them redface.gif

 

And, i agree about the HE-500, and for the record, i also think that the, HE-6, T1, HD800, LCD2/3, 007/009, are all, VERY good sounding headphones, but we all have to make a choice, at least, some of us do, wink.gif, and i just happend to preffer the PS1000.

post #674 of 3411
Quote:
Originally Posted by stacker45 View Post

Why can't you imagine the Little Dot 1+ doing a better job than the WA6SE at driving the PS1000

 

I never said that I thought that she's unhappy with the amp, if you go back and read my post, it says, ''the Woo/PS1000 combination'', combination being the key word here.

 

Why can't you imagine the Little Dot 1+ doing a better job than the WA6SE at driving the PS1000?

Didn't say that you did say that she was unhappy with the amp. It was a roundabout way of saying that it's the headphones she doesn't seem to be particularly enamoured with. Sorry, should have realised by now that you're a stickler for accuracy and precision wink.gif

 

Dunno, you don't usually get away with pairing budget amps with super expensive headphones. Suppose it's different with grado though gs1000.gif

post #675 of 3411
Quote:
Originally Posted by stacker45 View Post

 

Congratz on the PS1000, i hope you like them as much as i do, as for getting the Little Dot 1+, i thought about getting a Woo, but decided to give the Little Dot a shot first, and to be honest, i have absolutely no intention of changing it any time soon, in fact, i just ordered a second one yesterday, that's how much i like it.

 

Also, unless i am mistaking, Dubstep Girl, has a Woo, and doesn't seem very satified with the result of the Woo/PS1000 combination.

 

I guess she's going to ''dubstep'' in, and comment this, soon enough biggrin.gif

 

Just curious if you can point me in the right direction of tracking down a Little Dot +1? I found a few on Ebay, but they're coming from China, such as seen here:

 

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Little-Dot-I-1-EF92-Tube-Transistor-Amp-Amplifier-Upgraded-Version-/140896711616?pt=US_Home_Audio_Amplifiers_Preamps&hash=item20ce1933c0

 

Are these legitimate +1 amplifiers? Or is there a "more reputable" place to purchase one? Thanks again!

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › PS1000 Impressions Thread