Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › PS1000 Impressions Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

PS1000 Impressions Thread - Page 44

post #646 of 1219
Quote:
Originally Posted by bfreedma View Post

 

Hope to be able to answer that question in about 8 weeks.

I hope so too

post #647 of 1219

All this recent talk about the PS1000 made me want to listen to mine more than usual. But tonight i decided to let my HP1000 have a go at my new Little Dot1+, and long story short, Joe Grado really new what he was doing, i guess we can say that, as far as John is concerned, the apple didn't fall far from the tree, so we're still in good hands.

post #648 of 1219

Magiccabage, the GS-X mk2 and PS1000 is my regular setup, along with an Oppo 105 as the source. The sound is incredibly natural and lifelike, some of the best that I've heard personally. Is it bright? I don't really think so, but I also realize that I'm not as overly sensitive to high-frequency tones as some people. I'll say this...the GS-X mk2 is not a tube amp that rolls off the top end, but neither do I think it's bright.


Edited by MellowVelo - 8/30/13 at 12:39pm
post #649 of 1219
Quote:
Originally Posted by MellowVelo View Post

Magiccabage, the GS-X mk2 and PS1000 is my regular setup, along with an Oppo 105 as the source. The sound is incredibly natural and lifelike, some of the best that I've heard personally. Is it bright? I don't really think so, but I also realize that I'm not as overly sensitive to high-frequency tones as some people. I'll say this...the GS-X mk2 is not a tube amp that rolls off the top end, but neither do I think it's bright.

With the GS-X MKII, you're basically hearing your PS1000s and DAC. redface.gif

post #650 of 1219

This may be the wrong place to post this and for that I apologize, but is $1200 a good price for a gently used, mint pair of PS1000's? I had the gs1000i's for a month and had to sell them and I am currently rocking the AKG k702's and am yearning for that grado sound. 

post #651 of 1219
Quote:
Originally Posted by fastfox1306 View Post

This may be the wrong place to post this and for that I apologize, but is $1200 a good price for a gently used, mint pair of PS1000's? I had the gs1000i's for a month and had to sell them and I am currently rocking the AKG k702's and am yearning for that grado sound. 

$599 is a good price for a brand new pair of PS500 wink.gif
post #652 of 1219
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony1110 View Post


$599 is a good price for a brand new pair of PS500 wink.gif

tongue_smile.gif

post #653 of 1219

All this talk makes me wish I had kept my PS1000's for 2 weeks instead of one, just to give them a bit more of a chance and understand them better. I would never have kept it over my HD800/HE6/LCD3 (and HE500 for that matter) at the time though; that's a guarantee, and what lead me to sell them so fast. redface.gif

post #654 of 1219
Quote:
Originally Posted by dleblanc343 View Post

All this talk makes me wish I had kept my PS1000's for 2 weeks instead of one, just to give them a bit more of a chance and understand them better. I would never have kept it over my HD800/HE6/LCD3 (and HE500 for that matter) at the time though; that's a guarantee, and what lead me to sell them so fast. redface.gif

 

oooh what amp do you use for HE-6?

 

its the last flagship i have yet to try out.

 

right now i think im gonna return the PS1000 and re-buy RS1i if i want that grado sound, i might not though, since the beyer t1 and LCD-3 seem to do great for rock/metal already as well as older recordings.

post #655 of 1219

So would you advise to get the ps500 instead of the ps1000 and invest the remaining money in a good amp? Or would you stay with a ps1000 or gs1000i purchase? I loved my gs1000i headphones when I owned them, and I have regretted selling them. I've heard the ps1000 are much better then the gs1000i's all around though, other than comfort? Any help would be amazing. I'm pretty set on Grado's at the moment...Thanks!

post #656 of 1219
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dubstep Girl View Post

oooh what amp do you use for HE-6?

its the last flagship i have yet to try out.

right now i think im gonna return the PS1000 and re-buy RS1i if i want that grado sound, i might not though, since the beyer t1 and LCD-3 seem to do great for rock/metal already as well as older recordings.
I'm using a recently modified (and modernized) McIntosh MC225 with HE adaptor. It's also my main amp for the HD800 with the NAD M51. It's the best I've heard with both headphones so far. I haven't heard ECP amps and only brief use of the stratus though.
post #657 of 1219
Quote:
Originally Posted by fastfox1306 View Post

So would you advise to get the ps500 instead of the ps1000 and invest the remaining money in a good amp? Or would you stay with a ps1000 or gs1000i purchase? I loved my gs1000i headphones when I owned them, and I have regretted selling them. I've heard the ps1000 are much better then the gs1000i's all around though, other than comfort? Any help would be amazing. I'm pretty set on Grado's at the moment...Thanks!

 

i would keep GS1000i cause of the comfort or get RS1i tbh. though it would be best for you to go to a store that sells grado and see if you can hear a PS1000. the GS1000i are more U shaped, but i think they would be less grainy and darker. im not sure though, of course it depends on the setup, and of course your listening level, the PS1000 seem to sound alot better at low volumes, which is why i don't like them, they distort way too easily. the bass easily becomes blary and the treble seems to get incredibly grainy and sibilant quite easily, i don't know if its distortion, or just the fact that the treble boost is so high that it just makes the grain in the recordings that much more obvious.

 

at low volume levels, they seem to be more natural and warm sounding.

post #658 of 1219

I have been running the Little Dot 1+ for about a month now, and I'm very impressed by the sound quality that this inexpensive amp can give. It's as if it was voice for Grado headphones. I have tryed it wit my SR80i, and my GS/PS/HP1000, and it matches great with all of them. I like it so much, that I just ordered another one today for my second system, in my den.

 

Now to answer fastfox1306's question, i say, if you can stretch your budget just a little, get the PS1000 and a Little Dot 1+, if not, then get the GS1000i with a Little Dot 1+, that way you'll stay within your budget, and you'll still get the lion's share of what you would get with the PS1000.

 

That's my two cents, but what do i know!

post #659 of 1219

tightened up the headband a bit and played with the adjustments,  seems the treble tamed down a bit. 

 

they sound quite a bit better again, still not sure on PS1000 though, but it seems better.

 

gonna keep playing around with them this weekend.

post #660 of 1219

Careful, you might wind up actually liking these.

 

popcorn.gif

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › PS1000 Impressions Thread