or Connect
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › PS1000 Impressions Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

PS1000 Impressions Thread - Page 42

post #616 of 2325
Well im enjoying my ps1000s, i think im gonna keep them for now. The treble isnt that bad anymore though they still have a tiny bit of grain

Might have to send them in to grado though, i think the right driver has the grattle. ******* pathetic they cant fix that problem yet, every single grado ive owned, ive had to sent in to them to fix that, i dont know how they always manage to get dust or something trapped in the drivers
post #617 of 2325
Didn't happen to any Grado I owned but I kept thinking it would. It probably happened to whoever bought them from me.
post #618 of 2325

lol i managed to fix the rattle problem. 

 

seems like it must of been some dust or something, hasn't come back in the past couple days, so i think it'll be fine now.

 

anyways i still find these bright, they sound good but im still not sure on them.

post #619 of 2325

Might have been a cat hair? Any headphone can sound awesome one minute and average the next. How are you liking the Fostex?

post #620 of 2325

haven't listened to them much, haven't had much time to listen to LCD-3 or TH-900 cause of work. and mostly been trying to listen to PS1000 to try and find how they sound best. (tubes, music, and fit). 

 

im not entirely sure if these are keepers, right now i kinda like them, but i still feel they don't resolve as much as they should. and they tend to get sibilant or grainy way too easily.

 

other times i really enjoy their bass, its such a weird headphone  and small adjustments in how you wear them drastically change their sound, much more than RS1i and the smaller grados.

post #621 of 2325

i really want to give the PS1000 time and then write up a review for them, since like i said earlier, i feel these headphones are really misunderstood and not really mentioned alot and are rarely recommended. 

post #622 of 2325
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dubstep Girl View Post

i really want to give the PS1000 time and then write up a review for them, since like i said earlier, i feel these headphones are really misunderstood and not really mentioned alot and are rarely recommended. 

 

Probably because they are finicky with amping, have an exaggerated treble response, are uncomfortable for long sessions, and are seventeen hundred dollars.

 

They’re not an easy recommendation at all. They have their plusses (smooth mids, good toe tapping energy, wide soundstage), but it’s really hard to recommend the PS1000 over other TOTL headphones of similar price and also hard to recommend it over other Grados like the RS1 or PS500.


Edited by LCfiner - 8/27/13 at 3:09am
post #623 of 2325
It's good that you're spending a reasonable amount of time with them before making up your mind. To be honest, I wouldn't have the patience - especially if I had all those other headphones to play with.

I loved my Grados when I had them, but I might think differently now after hearing other things. I think they're overlooked for various reasons. I mean, you said yourself they're not all that much better than SR325. Considering the gulf in price between them, not to mention all the great cans inbetween, it's no wonder people don't want to spend all that cash on a pair of headphones generally regarded as having questionable build quality, being bright, grainy, limited in genre bandwidth, uncomfortable, overpriced etc. I'm not necessarily saying they are all these things, but that's how they're portrayed on Head-Fi.
post #624 of 2325
I bet they still sell by the bucketload though.
post #625 of 2325
Quote:
Originally Posted by LCfiner View Post

Probably because they are finicky with amping, have an exaggerated treble response, are uncomfortable for long sessions, and are seventeen hundred dollars.

They’re not an easy recommendation at all. They have their plusses (smooth mids, good toe tapping energy, wide soundstage), but it’s really hard to recommend the PS1000 over other TOTL headphones of similar price and also hard to recommend it over other Grados like the RS1 or PS500.

Yeah thts very true. The price being a huge turn off. I find that the ps1000 as good as they can sound simply lack the resolution and transparency that the other flagships have. Also their transients and speed falls short of flagship level performance. They feel like they are a side grade or a different taste of the mid fi grado sound, on a similar level to rs1 and sr325. They dont resolve more and while they are quite detailed (mostly due to treble rather than driver performance), the speed, transparency, transients, extension, coherency, and imaging arent at the same level. Even the bass seems to be nicely textured (not necessarily detailed more like a resonant coloration of sorts) but lacks control extension and decay of the more expensive headphones.

Also, every headphone i have right now i feel outperforms the ps1000, even the he-500 is better in many ways.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony1110 View Post

It's good that you're spending a reasonable amount of time with them before making up your mind. To be honest, I wouldn't have the patience - especially if I had all those other headphones to play with.

I loved my Grados when I had them, but I might think differently now after hearing other things. I think they're overlooked for various reasons. I mean, you said yourself they're not all that much better than SR325. Considering the gulf in price between them, not to mention all the great cans inbetween, it's no wonder people don't want to spend all that cash on a pair of headphones generally regarded as having questionable build quality, being bright, grainy, limited in genre bandwidth, uncomfortable, overpriced etc. I'm not necessarily saying they are all these things, but that's how they're portrayed on Head-Fi.

They do tend to get grainy fast and are better at lower volumes. And yeah these arent as good for rock as i thought they would be, they are better suited for very well recorded classic rock as well as any audiophile reference material except classical, in which the mids seems too dark and recessed at times. I think davidmahler in his review of them said it quite well" , the whole sound is better than the sum of its parts." Even then, this headphone is an aquired taste and its more of a nice thing to have in a collection, but not necessarily something ud listen to all the time, or as your main reference.
post #626 of 2325

Well Dubstep Girl!, so much for this beeing the PS1000 Appreciation thread, for every good thing you've said about the PS1000, you've said three bad ones.

 

Altough i do not own any of them, i have heard all of the headphones that you have, and i came to a very different conclusion about how the PS1000 compares to other flagship headphones. Also, when you say ''this headphone is an aquired taste and its more of a nice thing to have in a collection, but not necessarily something ud listen to all the time, or as your main reference'', i'm tempted to ask you, what headphones would you consider listening to ''all the time'' and would also be your ''main reference''.

 

And after reading this phrase, ''They feel like they are a side grade or a different taste of the mid fi grado sound, on a similar level to rs1 and sr325.'' and this one, ''Also, every headphone i have right now i feel outperforms the ps1000, even the he-500 is better in many ways'' i wonder why you are still bothering with them, maybe you should just move on to the next flagship to add to your collection.

 

And regarding the PS1000's price, let me ask you this, do you think that your Audeze LCD-3 sound twice as good as the LCD-2 wich cost about half as much?

post #627 of 2325

Feels like you are more confused than I was, but you will realize it later that the price is not an issue, its just the way they dont sound. I agree with stacker45, just move on.

post #628 of 2325
Quote:
Originally Posted by stacker45 View Post

Well Dubstep Girl!, so much for this beeing the PS1000 Appreciation thread, for every good thing you've said about the PS1000, you've said three bad ones.

 

Altough i do not own any of them, i have heard all of the headphones that you have, and i came to a very different conclusion about how the PS1000 compares to other flagship headphones. Also, when you say ''this headphone is an aquired taste and its more of a nice thing to have in a collection, but not necessarily something ud listen to all the time, or as your main reference'', i'm tempted to ask you, what headphones would you consider listening to ''all the time'' and would also be your ''main reference''.

 

And after reading this phrase, ''They feel like they are a side grade or a different taste of the mid fi grado sound, on a similar level to rs1 and sr325.'' and this one, ''Also, every headphone i have right now i feel outperforms the ps1000, even the he-500 is better in many ways'' i wonder why you are still bothering with them, maybe you should just move on to the next flagship to add to your collection.

 

And regarding the PS1000's price, let me ask you this, do you think that your Audeze LCD-3 sound twice as good as the LCD-2 wich cost about half as much?

 

theres not really a place to discuss these headphones besides here and the grado fan club, so might as well post here. like i said, they aren't talked about as much as the other threads, and this is in some ways, a good thing (god all the HE-500 posts really get annoying sometimes to go thru)

 

you should give the PS1000s more time, when i didn't own them, i heard them for a few minutes vs hd 800 and thought the ps1000 where much much better, but now i see that they aren't. however, they aren't bad headphones, just different. and thats why i feel these would be an acquired taste, they're not neutral and at the same time, they deviate from the typical grado sound and aren't a sound thats for everyone. also they aren't good for all genres of music, when i compared them, it was reference audiophile stuff, not a really broad spectrum of music.

 

for me, the Beyerdynamic T1 or the HD 800 would be my primary references, but i use all my headphones to come to a conclusion. the reason i don't just get rid of them right away is because thats why people come up with ******** opinions and reviews. they listen to it for 5 minutes out of an entry level setup and then say, "oh too bright, they suck balls" or "oh yeah such such is better cause it costs more, or cause all my headphones are from such and such company". 

 

anyways, i felt that the PS1000 deserve a chance, they seem to have responded from burn-in, and if i liked them at one point over hd 800, certainly something must be up, so i adjusted the pads, changed amps, listened to different types of music, and i keep trying to see whats the best they can sound. 

also this is why i have given them time, to come up with a definite conclusion. alot of people actually go through all these posts and due to the difficulty of auditioning gear, many purchases are made blindly on the word of other head-fi members, i want to give as accurate as a conclusion as possible, and compare it to the competition. and yes, i feel like the PS1000 are good, but also can be too bright and aggressive, they are very very similar to the SR325is (which i really enjoyed), however, the 325is is only $295 and a steal at that price, i felt the detail they have and the coherency is very similar to the more expensive grados and i was surprised at how well they held their ground against the more expensive grados. the PS1000 however commands a much higher price, $1700. i don't want to just say "omg these are awesome" just to make all the grado fanboys happy, and then someone ends up purchasing it full price, and then ends up disappointed when they hear the LCD-3 or HD 800 at a meet. and well,i really feel like the PS1000 shouldn't be priced more than every dynamic and planar flagship available right now short of the LCD-3. that really says alot and well, they just don't perform at that level, the fact that they can get too bright and grainy easily (more than 325is despite the similar sound, cause the V shape frequency response causes these issues, the 325 is more balanced).  and no, the LCD-3 aren't twice as good, i don't even know what "twice as good means", but they are definitely in another level in terms of transients, bass extension and definition (the PS1000 has nice texture, but i don't feel that its more bass resolution, but rather just the coloration and bass signature and the unique decay that makes that sound; i really enjoy it for bass guitars and cellos and whatnot, it sounds more lifelike than any other headphone, but for electronic and deep bass in general, it doesn't work, it becomes dry and seems to be lacking control and punch). now as much as i wouldn't justify the LCD-3 being twice as good, would you say the PS1000 are more than 5 times better than the 325is? i didn't think so.

 

also, maybe they're treble sensitive and it hurts their hearing? (i know i'm generally good at handling bright headphones, but i've noticed fatigue and ringing after listening to metal and rock out of these). the 10k peak is much higher than the RS1i, and the treble is definitely more than the T1, HD 800, HE-500, or almost any other headphone. the treble really brings some nice detail out and sounds good with the bass especially on acoustic and jazz recordings, however, this also makes it sibilant and makes the mids lose presence. also the treble seems to be a little dry and makes the upper mids lean as well, despite the warmth and fullness in the lower mids and bass these would be great for low level listening, and that means once again, these aren't for everyone. if these where under $1000, it would be much easier to justify their price/performance.

 

and the reason also why i haven't sold them, i do really love the chrome on these, just as much as i loved the chrome 325, that and the fact that i do like grado headphones, is why i haven't sold them. but i will most likely end up going back to an RS1i, which i feel is the true grado flagship. besides soundstage, the sound is almost identical in terms of performance and resoluton, except instead of the V shaped sound is more midrange tilted with slightly less bass though still having the grado midbass, and the 10k peak is rolled off on the RS1i, and theres a smoother 7k peak for the detail, since theres no recessed mids or boosted bass, the sound is much more coherent, rich, smooth, intimate, and true to the grado sound. 

 

and theres not many flagships left for me to try out besides the HE-6, and i really want to have a grado in my collection, it just might not be the PS1000. if i keep them, its just for when i would want that different presentation, and as another nice headphone to have in the collection. they aren't a bad headphone, just different. if they where bad (like W5000 for example), they would of been long gone. also, i purchased these new and tried them out, despite all the criticism out there, i could of just said "every1 says they suck, so they must suck, i won't ever buy these", but i didn't, i'm giving them a chance

 

gonna post a more thorough review in the coming weeks.


Edited by Dubstep Girl - 8/27/13 at 4:05pm
post #629 of 2325

I personnally think that you should have started your own PS1000 impressions thread, especially since you keep comparing them to other flagship headphones, and not favorably i might add. Aside from threads like this one, and the Grado fan club, there arent many threads where Grado fans, (notice i said fans and not fanboys), can come to seek shelter from all the Grado bashing that some of these threads turn out to be. I once got my arse kicked for mentioning the G word in an LCD3 thread, and i wasn't even bad mouthing the LCD3s.

 

As far as the PS1000 not being five times better than the SR325is, i couldn't agree more, i only asked you that question, (wich you haven't answered, by the way), regarding the LCD2 and LCD3's price vs performance ratio, because you seem to think that the PS1000 are too expensive and don't deserve their flagship title, wich, according to you, should belong to the RS1i. As far as i'm concerned, the PS1000 are every bit as deserving of their flagship status as the T1, HD800, LCD3...etc.

 

As i have said many times, i think that $500-600 is the sweet spot where you still get A LOT of sound quality for your money, after that, the return on investment drops very quickly, also, people who know me, know how much i love my SR80i, and that i could be happy with them as my only pair. 

 

Oh! and not everyone thinks the PS1000 suck, i happend to love mine, so i guess my hearing must be skrewed.


Edited by stacker45 - 8/27/13 at 8:51pm
post #630 of 2325

Thank you for taking time and sharing with us, good.

 

I agree with you and did stop by giving them more time at this particular stage, so, would be interesting to read more about, say, after 500 hours or so.

 

THX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dubstep Girl View Post

 

theres not really a place to discuss these headphones besides here and the grado fan club, so might as well post here. like i said, they aren't talked about as much as the other threads, and this is in some ways, a good thing (god all the HE-500 posts really get annoying sometimes to go thru)

 

you should give the PS1000s more time, when i didn't own them, i heard them for a few minutes vs hd 800 and thought the ps1000 where much much better, but now i see that they aren't. however, they aren't bad headphones, just different. and thats why i feel these would be an acquired taste, they're not neutral and at the same time, they deviate from the typical grado sound and aren't a sound thats for everyone. also they aren't good for all genres of music, when i compared them, it was reference audiophile stuff, not a really broad spectrum of music.

 

for me, the Beyerdynamic T1 or the HD 800 would be my primary references, but i use all my headphones to come to a conclusion. the reason i don't just get rid of them right away is because thats why people come up with ******** opinions and reviews. they listen to it for 5 minutes out of an entry level setup and then say, "oh too bright, they suck balls" or "oh yeah such such is better cause it costs more, or cause all my headphones are from such and such company". 

 

anyways, i felt that the PS1000 deserve a chance, they seem to have responded from burn-in, and if i liked them at one point over hd 800, certainly something must be up, so i adjusted the pads, changed amps, listened to different types of music, and i keep trying to see whats the best they can sound. 

also this is why i have given them time, to come up with a definite conclusion. alot of people actually go through all these posts and due to the difficulty of auditioning gear, many purchases are made blindly on the word of other head-fi members, i want to give as accurate as a conclusion as possible, and compare it to the competition. and yes, i feel like the PS1000 are good, but also can be too bright and aggressive, they are very very similar to the SR325is (which i really enjoyed), however, the 325is is only $295 and a steal at that price, i felt the detail they have and the coherency is very similar to the more expensive grados and i was surprised at how well they held their ground against the more expensive grados. the PS1000 however commands a much higher price, $1700. i don't want to just say "omg these are awesome" just to make all the grado fanboys happy, and then someone ends up purchasing it full price, and then ends up disappointed when they hear the LCD-3 or HD 800 at a meet. and well,i really feel like the PS1000 shouldn't be priced more than every dynamic and planar flagship available right now short of the LCD-3. that really says alot and well, they just don't perform at that level, the fact that they can get too bright and grainy easily (more than 325is despite the similar sound, cause the V shape frequency response causes these issues, the 325 is more balanced).  and no, the LCD-3 aren't twice as good, i don't even know what "twice as good means", but they are definitely in another level in terms of transients, bass extension and definition (the PS1000 has nice texture, but i don't feel that its more bass resolution, but rather just the coloration and bass signature and the unique decay that makes that sound; i really enjoy it for bass guitars and cellos and whatnot, it sounds more lifelike than any other headphone, but for electronic and deep bass in general, it doesn't work, it becomes dry and seems to be lacking control and punch). now as much as i wouldn't justify the LCD-3 being twice as good, would you say the PS1000 are more than 5 times better than the 325is? i didn't think so.

 

also, maybe they're treble sensitive and it hurts their hearing? (i know i'm generally good at handling bright headphones, but i've noticed fatigue and ringing after listening to metal and rock out of these). the 10k peak is much higher than the RS1i, and the treble is definitely more than the T1, HD 800, HE-500, or almost any other headphone. the treble really brings some nice detail out and sounds good with the bass especially on acoustic and jazz recordings, however, this also makes it sibilant and makes the mids lose presence. also the treble seems to be a little dry and makes the upper mids lean as well, despite the warmth and fullness in the lower mids and bass these would be great for low level listening, and that means once again, these aren't for everyone. if these where under $1000, it would be much easier to justify their price/performance.

 

and the reason also why i haven't sold them, i do really love the chrome on these, just as much as i loved the chrome 325, that and the fact that i do like grado headphones, is why i haven't sold them. but i will most likely end up going back to an RS1i, which i feel is the true grado flagship. besides soundstage, the sound is almost identical in terms of performance and resoluton, except instead of the V shaped sound is more midrange tilted with slightly less bass though still having the grado midbass, and the 10k peak is rolled off on the RS1i, and theres a smoother 7k peak for the detail, since theres no recessed mids or boosted bass, the sound is much more coherent, rich, smooth, intimate, and true to the grado sound. 

 

and theres not many flagships left for me to try out besides the HE-6, and i really want to have a grado in my collection, it just might not be the PS1000. if i keep them, its just for when i would want that different presentation, and as another nice headphone to have in the collection. they aren't a bad headphone, just different. if they where bad (like W5000 for example), they would of been long gone. also, i purchased these new and tried them out, despite all the criticism out there, i could of just said "every1 says they suck, so they must suck, i won't ever buy these", but i didn't, i'm giving them a chance

 

gonna post a more thorough review in the coming weeks.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › PS1000 Impressions Thread