Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › PS1000 Impressions Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

PS1000 Impressions Thread - Page 38

post #556 of 1174

Grado recently demo'ed the PS1000 at a European show paired with the Graham Slee Solo Ultra-Linear Diamond Edition, so I knew I had to try the amp.

 

When I hooked it up, the results were superb. Even cleaner sound, somewhat smoother treble, soundstage seemed even more enveloping. Of course all this could be my imagination. Tonality of course did not change at all to my ears. In any event, I've never heard better. Then the next night, the amp went on the fritz. I hooked the PS1000 up to one of my alternate systems, with the same recording, and the magic was gone. Or at least that degree of magic. Still sounded fabulous. I've had this headphone for a couple years now, along with 80-100 others. It still feels like a privilege to own it.

 

[EDIT - THE AMP DID NOT GO ON THE FRITZ, I DID. THE AMP IS FINE AND IS SUPERB.]


Edited by priest - 3/21/13 at 8:04pm
post #557 of 1174

@ priest

 

Have you ever tried PS1000 with Bryston BHA-1?

In your opinion which pair is better BHA-1 + PS1000 or Graham Slee Solo Ultra-Linear Diamond Edition +PS1000?

Does Graham Slee Solo Ultra-Linear Diamond Edition's treble and bass roll-off?

 

My BHA-1 is very good with LCD3 but with PS1000 I think it's a little too bright.

 

Thank you


Edited by chirawatf - 3/18/13 at 12:36am
post #558 of 1174
Quote:
Originally Posted by MellowVelo View Post

Thanks! I have yet to find another headphone that engages me as much as the PS1000. Every time I put them on, they draw me into the music and I forget about the gear. Grados have a way of doing that to me. IMHO, it's too bad that the PS1000s don't get more respect around here.

 

I'm very interested in these as well.  Who has them at a really good price?  

post #559 of 1174
Quote:
Originally Posted by priest View Post
I've had this headphone for a couple years now, along with 80-100 others.

eek.gif

post #560 of 1174
Quote:
Originally Posted by priest View Post

Grado recently demo'ed the PS1000 at a European show paired with the Graham Slee Solo Ultra-Linear Diamond Edition, so I knew I had to try the amp.

 

When I hooked it up, the results were superb. Even cleaner sound, somewhat smoother treble, soundstage seemed even more enveloping. Of course all this could be my imagination. Tonality of course did not change at all to my ears. In any event, I've never heard better. Then the next night, the amp went on the fritz. I hooked the PS1000 up to one of my alternate systems, with the same recording, and the magic was gone. Or at least that degree of magic. Still sounded fabulous. I've had this headphone for a couple years now, along with 80-100 others. It still feels like a privilege to own it.

 

WOW man - can you list your top 10 headphones?

post #561 of 1174
You won't find them any cheaper than $1695. Grado is very strict about their pricing; they don't allow dealers to sell for less.
post #562 of 1174
Quote:
Originally Posted by MellowVelo View Post

You won't find them any cheaper than $1695. Grado is very strict about their pricing; they don't allow dealers to sell for less.

 

 

Well, I found it cheaper that that already biggrin.gif  Just trying to see how low can I go...

post #563 of 1174

Quote:

Originally Posted by chirawatf View Post

@ priest

 

Have you ever tried PS1000 with Bryston BHA-1?

In your opinion which pair is better BHA-1 + PS1000 or Graham Slee Solo Ultra-Linear Diamond Edition +PS1000?

Does Graham Slee Solo Ultra-Linear Diamond Edition's treble and bass roll-off?

 

My BHA-1 is very good with LCD3 but with PS1000 I think it's a little too bright.

 

Thank you

 

Sorry, I have never used the BHA-1. The Solo ULDE did not affect the PS1000 tonality I was used to, to my ears. It did seem to smooth out the treble a little tiny bit.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by customcoco View Post
Originally Posted by priest View Post
I've had this headphone for a couple years now, along with 80-100 others.

eek.gif

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by preproman View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by priest View Post

Or at least that degree of magic. Still sounded fabulous. I've had this headphone for a couple years now, along with 80-100 others. It still feels like a privilege to own it.

 

WOW man - can you list your top 10 headphones?

 

They are not all major headphones. My top ten full-size are probably:

 

Grado PS1000

beyerdynamic T1

HiFiMAN HE-500

Denon AH-D5000
Grado RS2i

Ultrasone PRO 2900

Audio-Technica ATH-W1000x

AKG K 702

Grado SR325is

Audio-Technica ATH-A900

post #564 of 1174
Quote:
Originally Posted by preproman View Post

 

 

Well, I found it cheaper that that already biggrin.gif  Just trying to see how low can I go...

If you found it cheaper, then that vendor is not an authorized Grado dealer and you'll likely not end up with a valid warranty. Caveat emptor. 

post #565 of 1174
Quote:
Originally Posted by Focker View Post

If you found it cheaper, then that vendor is not an authorized Grado dealer and you'll likely not end up with a valid warranty. Caveat emptor. 

 

I'll have to ask.  I'll confirm if they are or not.

 

All my warranties are void anyway.  I use all aftermarket cables.

post #566 of 1174

I just upgraded my source to the Oppo BDP-105. Now the PS1000s are really singing! The Oppo has a highly detailed sound, and the Grados really let all that detail through, but never in a way that's harsh or strident. Where I really notice the difference is in the bass; it extends so much deeper and is really tight and solid. 

 

I was very happy with my sound before this upgrade, but the new source has really taken the sound to a new level. I can now understand why so many audiophiles say "source first".

post #567 of 1174

What was your old source, and how is the 105's headamp?


Edited by grokit - 3/27/13 at 7:13pm
post #568 of 1174
Quote:
Originally Posted by MellowVelo View Post

I just upgraded my source to the Oppo BDP-105. Now the PS1000s are really singing! The Oppo has a highly detailed sound, and the Grados really let all that detail through, but never in a way that's harsh or strident. Where I really notice the difference is in the bass; it extends so much deeper and is really tight and solid. 

 

I was very happy with my sound before this upgrade, but the new source has really taken the sound to a new level. I can now understand why so many audiophiles say "source first".

 

Are you using the Oppo's internal DAC?

post #569 of 1174
Quote:
Originally Posted by chirawatf View Post

 

My BHA-1 is very good with LCD3 but with PS1000 I think it's a little too bright.

 

Thank you

I have that combo and I agree it has a little too much sizzle in the high end. However, it may simply be that the phones are just so transparent and the amp so neutral that what you are hearing is simply deficiencies in the source, cables, or power supply. I've been experimenting with A/C conditioning products and have been able to successfully eliminate that sizzle, which I believe is simply noise. Once the issue is addressed, that "brightness" sounds more like resolution. I use PS Audio Noise Harvesters, a controversial product, but it works for me. One bank of five on the outlet with my source PC and four on the outlet with my stereo system addressed the brightness issue. I've said it before. 

 

Things like computers, especially notebooks with mechanical drives, poison the power supply in my opinion, and dimmer switches anywhere in the house are a nightmare.

 

Almost nobody agrees with that but I hear results.

post #570 of 1174
Quote:
Originally Posted by stacker45 View Post

 

Are you using the Oppo's internal DAC?

My previous source was the Oppo DV-980H. I always thought it was a pretty good sounding player, but the 105 is just SO much more detailed.

 

Yes, I'm using the 105's internal DACs. Right now, running unbalanced to the Headamp GS-X. As soon as I get some XLR cables, I'll have a fully-balanced setup.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › PS1000 Impressions Thread