Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › PS1000 Impressions Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

PS1000 Impressions Thread - Page 35

post #511 of 1174
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmichels View Post

PS1000 Ballanced ? 

Gentlemen, has someone re-wired his PS1000 for balanced connection and tried it on a balanced amp ?  Is there a sonic step-up ? how can you describe the difference in sonic signature ?   What balanced Headphone-amp were you using (I am still hesitating between the EC Balancing Act, Woo22, and some SS balanced headphone...) ? 

I`m very interested to hear your comment because I am investing in a complete balanced system.

thanks



Nobody tested thème ballanced ?
post #512 of 1174
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmichels View Post


Nobody tested thème ballanced ?

It has been done but it is very rare. I'm not sure if you can slap the balanced connector on the stock cable or if you need a whole recable. My dealer wasn't even sure. My dealer said generally going balanced means tighter more articulate bass. With that comes probably slightly better soundstaging and imaging and focus but also even more transparency and edginess? I think it will absolutely sound different, but whether it sounds better is subjective. The manufacturer seems to have tuned this headphone for single ended operation and by going balanced you are messing with the recipe. That is ok with Sennheiser where you can just swap out cables, but do you really want to mess around with that here?

 

Also remember these headphones are really easy to drive which means you can plug them straight into any device with a headphone jack, computer, ipod, ect. You are permanently ditching that functionality when you go balanced. I say put it on the back burner and tweak the underlying system. 

post #513 of 1174
You should be able to re-terminate the stock cable with a 4-pin XLR connector for balanced amps, I had a SR325i that was modified like that.
post #514 of 1174
Quote:
Originally Posted by grokit View Post

You should be able to re-terminate the stock cable with a 4-pin XLR connector for balanced amps, I had a SR325i that was modified like that.

Well in that case lop it off and see what happens. I was thinking you had to do a whole recable. Sounds like it could be easily reversed. What was the sonic result with your SR325i?

post #515 of 1174
I didn't think it helped with that headphone (like the HD600) but the PS1000 may yield different results (like the HD800).
post #516 of 1174

I converted my PS1000s to 4 pin XLR.  Mainly because I planned on using the Mjolnir amp, which ONLY supports balanced connections.  I have since ended up with the Bryston, which has both Balanced and SE outputs.  I have a fully balanced NFB1.32 DAC, the Bryston BHA-1 and my PS1000s connected into the stereo balanced output.  It sounds absolutely amazing to my amateur ears.

 

I didn't do a ton of A/B testing but I would say in the balanced configuration, it sounds cleaner, punchier, and with an even bigger soundstage.  But that's a function of the amp design and characteristics.  These headphones sound great in either configuration, so I would make the decision based on the hardware you plan on using.

 

If you know how to solder and can use a multimeter, then it's a breeze to re-terminate the stock cable to 4 pin XLR.  It has 8 wires: 2 red (left +), 2 white (right +), 4 blue grounds.  Using your multimeter set to "continuity", touch one end to the red or white wires and the other end to each blue wire.  When you hear scratching and/or see the multimeter respond, you know you have the correct grounds.  Then just twist each of the 4 pairs of cables together and solder to the XLR with this pattern.  If I can do it, anyone can.  :)

 

Regarding SE outputs, it's easy enough to either convert back or just have a custom adapter cable made.  I had one made for $17 at Kvconnection which works perfectly.  Rob is great and will make about any cable you need.

 

HTH

post #517 of 1174
Quote:
Originally Posted by tacky187 View Post

I converted my PS1000s to 4 pin XLR.  Mainly because I planned on using the Mjolnir amp, which ONLY supports balanced connections.  I have since ended up with the Bryston, which has both Balanced and SE outputs.  I have a fully balanced NFB1.32 DAC, the Bryston BHA-1 and my PS1000s connected into the stereo balanced output.  It sounds absolutely amazing to my amateur ears.

 

I didn't do a ton of A/B testing but I would say in the balanced configuration, it sounds cleaner, punchier, and with an even bigger soundstage.  But that's a function of the amp design and characteristics.  These headphones sound great in either configuration, so I would make the decision based on the hardware you plan on using.

 

If you know how to solder and can use a multimeter, then it's a breeze to re-terminate the stock cable to 4 pin XLR.  It has 8 wires: 2 red (left +), 2 white (right +), 4 blue grounds.  Using your multimeter set to "continuity", touch one end to the red or white wires and the other end to each blue wire.  When you hear scratching and/or see the multimeter respond, you know you have the correct grounds.  Then just twist each of the 4 pairs of cables together and solder to the XLR with this pattern.  If I can do it, anyone can.  :)

 

Regarding SE outputs, it's easy enough to either convert back or just have a custom adapter cable made.  I had one made for $17 at Kvconnection which works perfectly.  Rob is great and will make about any cable you need.

 

HTH

 

Damn it. I have the same amp. Now I HAVE to do it. lol

 

Wait a minute, the stock cable is really really short. I use the Grado extension cable. I guess I would need to purchase a 4 pin XLR extension cable as well?


Edited by BlackstoneJD - 10/30/12 at 2:51pm
post #518 of 1174
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackstoneJD View Post

 

Damn it. I have the same amp. Now I HAVE to do it. lol

 

Wait a minute, the stock cable is really really short. I use the Grado extension cable. I guess I would need to purchase a 4 pin XLR extension cable as well?

 

LOL.  Don't hate the player, hate the game.  ;)

 

I use the short stock cable because my amp is within 3 feet of me.  But if you need something longer, yeah, you'll need a XLR extension cable.

post #519 of 1174
Tanks for the feedback and advices
Edited by bmichels - 10/30/12 at 3:39pm
post #520 of 1174

Hi everyone!

I took some time to take a few photos of my PS-1000s.

They've got some beautiful custom parts made by martin custom audio

 

Here's one picture displaying custom made gimbals and rodblocks:

 

1000

 

 

Check out all the pictures here!

Also, if you're interested in more of martin custom audio's work, check out the appreciation thread! (There's some amazing stuff there!)

 

Cheers!


Edited by lovleylady - 12/11/12 at 3:37am
post #521 of 1174

Very nice and the slipping rod-blocks issue is no more. smile.gif Are the custom parts heavier than the stock parts they replaced?

post #522 of 1174
Quote:
Originally Posted by unspool View Post

Very nice and the slipping rod-blocks issue is no more. smile.gif Are the custom parts heavier than the stock parts they replaced?

No more slipping! =)

 

I suppose the custom parts could be a few grams heavier but notthing noticable.

The headband is so much more comfortable so it wouldn't be an issue anyway.

 

Cheers!

post #523 of 1174

wonder why grado never had their flagship ship standard with metal rodblocks.......shouldn't be seeing cheap plastic on headphones as expensive as the ps1000 (more than hd 800, even rivaling the th900 and lcd-3 in price),

post #524 of 1174
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dubstep Girl View Post

wonder why grado never had their flagship ship standard with metal rodblocks.......shouldn't be seeing cheap plastic on headphones as expensive as the ps1000 (more than hd 800, even rivaling the th900 and lcd-3 in price),

 

Agree, but it's sort of fun to "style" them up a bit now. They feel like new again =)

 

Also, in my opinion, the HD800s felt kind of cheap and science-fiction-like to me.

The PS-1000s have a more exclusive, vintage quality to me, which I like(not always).

 

Cheers!

post #525 of 1174

LovleyLady: Those are beautiful!!!!

 

I'm with you guys on the "no more slipping" thing....having the Martin Audio rodblocks has really been great for my GS1ks....When I pick up the PS1ks, I'll certainly be calling on Martin for some more good stuff! 

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › PS1000 Impressions Thread