or Connect
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › PS1000 Impressions Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

PS1000 Impressions Thread - Page 75

post #1111 of 3411

Last week about 40-50hrs in, the soundstage opened up but the politeness was gone, replaced by piercing highs. I could barely get through 1 song before having to put the ps1ke back on the stand and treat it as ambient sound.

 

This week, about 100hrs in, the harshness appears to be mostly gone. It's more reminiscent of the ol' ps1k now, but with more defined bass, 

 

Will see if it changes further.

post #1112 of 3411
Quote:
Originally Posted by etnt View Post
 

Last week about 40-50hrs in, the soundstage opened up but the politeness was gone, replaced by piercing highs. I could barely get through 1 song before having to put the ps1ke back on the stand and treat it as ambient sound.

 

This week, about 100hrs in, the harshness appears to be mostly gone. It's more reminiscent of the ol' ps1k now, but with more defined bass, 

 

Will see if it changes further.

What setup are you using? Of all the Grado's I've owned through the years (SR60/80/125/225i/325i/RS-1/RS1i/PS500/HF-2/PS1000/PS1000e....man I've owned a lot of Grado headphones :o), I find that the PS1000/PS1000e's are most "receptive" to upstream amping/dacs/source.

post #1113 of 3411
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacedonianHero View Post
 

What setup are you using? Of all the Grado's I've owned through the years (SR60/80/125/225i/325i/RS-1/RS1i/PS500/HF-2/PS1000/PS1000e....man I've owned a lot of Grado headphones :o), I find that the PS1000/PS1000e's are most "receptive" to upstream amping/dacs/source.

Foobar2000->Chord Hugo->PS1ke

post #1114 of 3411
Quote:
Originally Posted by etnt View Post
 

Foobar2000->Chord Hugo->PS1ke

 

I haven't heard the Chord Hugo, sorry. Glad you're enjoying the combo!

post #1115 of 3411

Hi evryone,

 

 

What i could say , is that the PS1K sounds fantastic with the tube amp MAD EAR+ HD and Cypher Labs Solo - DB

The sounds is much better balanced, fuller, deep, tight bass, voice is more natural ,treble rolled off than my portable amp ( Portaphile 627x )

 

I am with the stock input tube JJ 5751 but will test some Sylvania black plate 3 mica seems to be faster.

 

Every Grado fan have to listen one time this combo.

post #1116 of 3411
Quote:
Originally Posted by kazuya95 View Post

Hi evryone,


What i could say , is that the PS1K sounds fantastic with the tube amp MAD EAR+ HD and Cypher Labs Solo - DB
The sounds is much better balanced, fuller, deep, tight bass, voice is more natural ,treble rolled off than my portable amp ( Portaphile 627x )

I am with the stock input tube JJ 5751 but will test some Sylvania black plate 3 mica seems to be faster.

Every Grado fan have to listen one time this combo.

Sylvania is a good choice for very smooth midrange.

If you need a little more details, the Telefunken NOS or the Black Sable JJ Tesla are also good choices of input tube in increasing order of additional details. It is only one tube so you can afford to splurge.
post #1117 of 3411
Thanks Justin, how many input tubes had you try with the mad ear+ hd?
Wich one you recommand with the Ps1000? I know it also depends woth the source.

Regards
post #1118 of 3411

I feel cheap driving my PS1000 with my LD1+, and can you imagine that it even has the stock tubes. What can I say, I like the way the PS1000 and LD1+ combo sound's so much, that I never had the desire to upgrade.

 

For my defence, I am plannong to do some tube Rolling, I just don't want to open my LD1+ up to change the position of the little switches, one because I'm clumsy, and two because I'm lazy, yes, I know it rimes!. That being said, I am open to suggestions, I love the way it sounds now, so I guess I can only wish for more of the same with the new tubes.

post #1119 of 3411
Quote:
Originally Posted by stacker45 View Post
 

I feel cheap driving my PS1000 with my LD1+, and can you imagine that it even has the stock tubes. What can I say, I like the way the PS1000 and LD1+ combo sound's so much, that I never had the desire to upgrade.

 

For my defence, I am plannong to do some tube Rolling, I just don't want to open my LD1+ up to change the position of the little switches, one because I'm clumsy, and two because I'm lazy, yes, I know it rimes!. That being said, I am open to suggestions, I love the way it sounds now, so I guess I can only wish for more of the same with the new tubes.

 

I t is a wonderful little hybrid amp for the money for sure, and a great match with Grado's imo.

 

I do not remember what all tubes and opamps that I tried in the LD1+...........a quick visit to the LD1+ thread and a couple questions and I am sure they will steer you in the right direction.

 

If the upgrade bugs ever does bite....don't sleep on the Mad Ear....it is one of the best pieces of audio equipment that i have ever owned and is great with many headphones....the HD800 included.

post #1120 of 3411
Quote:
Originally Posted by whirlwind View Post
 

 

I t is a wonderful little hybrid amp for the money for sure, and a great match with Grado's imo.

 

I do not remember what all tubes and opamps that I tried in the LD1+...........a quick visit to the LD1+ thread and a couple questions and I am sure they will steer you in the right direction.

 

If the upgrade bugs ever does bite....don't sleep on the Mad Ear....it is one of the best pieces of audio equipment that i have ever owned and is great with many headphones....the HD800 included.

+1

post #1121 of 3411

Newbie question, the LD1+, is made to drive low impedence headphones, is it also the case for the Mad ear?

post #1122 of 3411

The Ear+ has an output impedance of 7 ohm, so it’s not ideal for low impedance balanced armature IEMs, specifically. But it does just fine with Grados. it does NOT produce 800 mW at 32 ohm, like the LD1+. It’s closer to 100 or 70 mW into 32 ohms (I think those numbers are quoted with different THD values).

 

It’s a low power amp that sounds excellent but I think its synergy with Grados is less by design and more by accident. (I’m sure you’ve read that the Ear+ designer used HD600 or HD650 when testing it)


Edited by LCfiner - 9/13/14 at 8:51am
post #1123 of 3411
Quote:
Originally Posted by LCfiner View Post
 

The Ear+ has an output impedance of 7 ohm, so it’s not ideal for low impedance balanced armature IEMs, specifically. But it does just fine with Grados. it does NOT produce 800 mW at 32 ohm, like the LD1+. It’s closer to 100 or 70 mW into 32 ohms (I think those poor numbers are quoted with different THD values).

 

It’s a low power amp that sounds excellent but I think its synergy with Grados is less by design and more by accident. (I’m sure you’ve read that the Ear+ designer used HD600 or HD650 when testing it)

I completely agree with you with the facts on the MAD Ear+ low power and its accidental synergy with the Grados. Thank you for the interesting information, especially about the headphones used by the designer. 

 

I just want to bring another perspective on these two items.

 

I have been using the Grado PS1000/GS1000 with the MAD Ear+ for a couple of years now and I find that whatever power this diminutive amp has, it is more than enough to drive my Grados to a very satisfying volume  So if anyone has a concern or reservation about using the MAD Ear+ with these Grados, my advice is not to worry about it.

 

As to the accidental synergy with the Grados, I wish there were more accidents like this one.  Though it does not quite  have the impact of the asteroid that killed the dinosaurs and allowed puny homo sapiens to dominate life on earth, it is still impressive.  The four other amps I successfully paired with the Grados PS1000/GS1000 (the Bakoon HPA-21, EARD HP-4, HeadAmp GS-X Mk2 and Woo WA5-LE) have more sophisticated sounds in specific areas--and much higher prices--but overall I prefer the sound of the MAD Ear+ with the Grados.  

 

Which makes the  MAD Ear+ an accidental giant killer in its own modest way.           

post #1124 of 3411

With so many satisfied owner, I will seriously consider getting the Mad Ear+.

post #1125 of 3411

If you are breaking in a new PS1000 or PS1000e I would not even bother listening to review until you have at least 150-200 hours of break-in on it. I use the Ayre break in disc and run the glide tones and various noise tracks for 24/7 for like a week before listening to any new component. I would not even dream of reviewing new a new PS1000 without totally tormenting them with those tracks or at least music or some combination. The difference is massive in my experience. That was true for amp, headphones and dac. 200 hours.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › PS1000 Impressions Thread