Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Dedicated Source Components › WOW!, the RME Digi 96/8 PAD is great!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

WOW!, the RME Digi 96/8 PAD is great! - Page 12

post #166 of 180
It looks like I will take the plunge and get one of these.

I am using a Terratec EWX24/96 at the minute, and am using X-Can v3 + Sony CD3000 combo. Would you guys who use it anticipate any probable synergy problem? And what kind of improvements would I expect to see over my existing card?

Also, would it be possible to use it with say, an Audigy 2 so I could continue to play games without any performance hit? Or would I be better off keeping my Terratec for games, given that I only use headphones / stereo speakers for games?

Cheers
post #167 of 180
Quote:
Originally posted by lan
And out of the 1% that use their computers for high end audio, 1% use them with an external DAC
That would make it like, 0.0001% of computer users?

Well for awhile, I'll be part of the non external DAC guys. The RME PAD is really that good. I'm sure I'll get the itch, eventually.
-Ed
post #168 of 180
Has anyone checked the quality of the analog inputs [ADC]? I'm interested in the card as an upgrade from the MAudio 2496, to be used primarily to record vinyl to my hard drive. One other question: as analog signal will be routed directly from my phono stage to the RME, can the analog input volume be adjusted? I see a volume slider on the "Settings" dialog, but I can't determine if it's used for analog input or output.
post #169 of 180
I think I might have to get one of these as well. Does anyone know a place that ships overseas? Even with slightly higher shipping costs it should be cheaper than buying the thing here in Sweden.

EDIT: On an unrelated note, can any of the cards mentioned in this thread be used for DVD-Audio playback when combined with a DVD-ROM drive and suitable software?
post #170 of 180
Quote:
Originally posted by mcbiff


EDIT: On an unrelated note, can any of the cards mentioned in this thread be used for DVD-Audio playback when combined with a DVD-ROM drive and suitable software?
No,only theres only the software compatible with only audigy2 so far.
post #171 of 180
and the digital output is disabled for DVD-A with Creative as well. WHeeeeeee

-Ed
post #172 of 180
When someone who owns the card gets a chance, would you be so kind as to record something thru the analog 1/4" input and see if the Settings dialog volume slider will control input volume.

One other favor: as it's the ADC that I'm most interested in, would anyone take a guess as to how the ART DI/O would stack up against the RME for recording analog to PC hard drive?
post #173 of 180
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally posted by rontokyo
When someone who owns the card gets a chance, would you be so kind as to record something thru the analog 1/4" input and see if the Settings dialog volume slider will control input volume.

One other favor: as it's the ADC that I'm most interested in, would anyone take a guess as to how the ART DI/O would stack up against the RME for recording analog to PC hard drive?
I can test the first issue for you tomorrow evening.

On the second, I would guess that it would be comprable, if not better than the ART, but since mine had the ADC portion removed, I don't have any first-hand knowledge. I think that since the RME was designed as a pro audio card, and it costs 3x what the ART costs, it should be a better ADC.
post #174 of 180
Iron-Dreamer [or anyone else] . . . were you able to determine if input analog volume can be adjusted with the volume slider on the Settings dialog?? Thanks.
post #175 of 180
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally posted by rontokyo
Iron-Dreamer [or anyone else] . . . were you able to determine if input analog volume can be adjusted with the volume slider on the Settings dialog?? Thanks.
No, it won't. Sorry it took longer for me to get back here than I thought
post #176 of 180
Thanks for checking. Much appreciated.
post #177 of 180
Woot!

Just installed my RME PAD. Sounds even better than I remember it with your setup, Iron.

Especially with all of the power upgrades too.

I bought mine at West LA Music in Santa Monica. Pretty crazy store. They have an assload of AKG headphones there. Even the K1000's. I found a really nice 6" Shielded "Y" Cable for the 1/4" TRS output on the RME PAD.

-Ed
post #178 of 180
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally posted by Edwood
Woot!

Just installed my RME PAD. Sounds even better than I remember it with your setup, Iron.

Especially with all of the power upgrades too.

I bought mine at West LA Music in Santa Monica. Pretty crazy store. They have an assload of AKG headphones there. Even the K1000's. I found a really nice 6" Shielded "Y" Cable for the 1/4" TRS output on the RME PAD.

-Ed
Awesome!

How does that cable sound? BTW how much did it run you? I've got this custom-built silver cable that seems very detailed, but also tested poorly in RMAA, so its' left me scratching my head.

I will have to check out that store someday, sounds like a boatload of fun
post #179 of 180
How can the cable test poorly in RMAA? Usually cables don't show much differece with that test let alone "poorly". Is this in comparision with what you used before which was RCA-RCA to RCA-1/4" convertor?

Santa Monica. I was out of place when I went around there.
post #180 of 180
Quote:
Originally posted by Iron_Dreamer
Awesome!

How does that cable sound? BTW how much did it run you? I've got this custom-built silver cable that seems very detailed, but also tested poorly in RMAA, so its' left me scratching my head.

I will have to check out that store someday, sounds like a boatload of fun
Well, I'm not noticeing anything that stands out. My hope is that adapter won't change the sound.

I mainly like it because it will help reduce the strain on the 1/4" socket on the RME PAD.

Right now, I'm using that adapter with an old Monster cable I have. It was the only one long enough. I will have to use a longer cable or move my computer.

-Ed
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Dedicated Source Components
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Dedicated Source Components › WOW!, the RME Digi 96/8 PAD is great!