The idea of using pictures is excellent , hope you'll reach the grados someday....
Recent Images In This Thread
Related Forum Threads
- Sennheiser IE80s vs. Utimate Ears UE900? Last post on 10/7/12 at 7:37pm in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- [REVIEW] Ortofon EQ-5 and Grado GR8: Battle of the Moving Armatures Last post on 12/18/12 at 7:24pm in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- Ortofon eQ5 in review - possibly the last earphone a man (or woman) could ever want in his (or... Last post on 4/5/13 at 8:16pm in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- Final Audio Design Heaven IV Last post on 6/24/14 at 8:36am in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- What's your " go-to " IEM or portable headphone? Last post on 9/19/11 at 8:32pm in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
Top Tier Universal Iem Comparison Chart And Information
Last edited: 5/7/10
- Basic Guide To In Ear CanalphonesLast edited: 3/22/12
Just some background stuff before the review...this is the second source i have owned dedicated to music (i.e not listening to music off my iphone) so i don't have much experience with high end...
I recently got the AK 100 II after dabbling with a phone based stack. Alternate setup: Samsung Galaxy S5 FIIO E18 + PowerAmp Pro (Cost: 2.99€) + iSyncr (Cost: 3.99€) + Stream to...
After an extensive search online for a replacement for my very good Schiit Bifrost, I settled on the Dacmini, in part from comments here on Head-Fi, and the fact that Stereophile has had it as a...
DUNU DN-2000 Quick Review Full Review at http://www.head-fi.org/t/728105/dunu-dn-2000-review Thanks to DUNU for the sample. Brief: DUNU take’s it to the top. Price: US$316 or £186...
Ok first I need to say that I'm not an audiophile, and I use this site mostly for help than giving advise whit that told I will continue I've owned this headset for more than a year and they...
- Basic Guide To In Ear Canalphones
[e-Q5 added] Shootout: The Ortofon e-Q7 versus 3 new Final Audio IEMs (FI-BA-A1, FI-BA-SB, FI-BA-SS) - Page 2
Gear mentioned in this thread:
Unfortunately that is not a typo. It really is that cost.
@James: nice review as always I don't think I'll be going for any of the FAD earphones. I typically need a good cable to go with good sound. The SB is interesting but I just hate flat cables so probably won't get past that.
I thought the Finals were BA and not MA, therefore the BA in their names. I believe there are BA drivers available with a vent. Here's link to Shure's new se315 with a description of such. http://blog.earphonesolutions.com/?p=517 and a pic of an opened se530 showing a vented BA so they've been around a while. You would assume Sleek is using the same with their tuning.
I could be mistaken about the Final's and it certainly doesn't change the results of those excellent impressions. If not, so much for single BAs not being capable of full range sound. Thanks James.
Edited by goodvibes - 10/31/10 at 8:31am
I thought the Finals were BA and not MA, therefore the BA in their names. I believe there are BA drivers available with a vent. Here's link to Shure's new se315 with a description of such. http://blog.earphonesolutions.com/?p=517 I could be mistaken about the final's and it certainly doesn't change the results of those excellent impressions. If not, so much for single BAs not being capable of full range sound. Thanks James.
Thanks for your kind words - yet in case I'm proven wrong I'll of course correct my review. So why do I think they're MA? Well, I've been noticing that BA in their names too, but from their basic sound signature they are so very close to the e-Q7 and at the same time different from the other BAs I've heard. On top of that I was told that there are no vented BAs (turns out this info was wrong, thanks for correcting). Nevertheless, judging by ear I'd say the drivers move noticeably more air then all my other BAs.
I suspect your request may be heading in the same direction. Anyway, here's the picture:
Edited by james444 - 10/31/10 at 11:16am
Awesome write up James! I was curious to see where my new A1's lined up against everything else. I did feel the A1's were more neutral when compared to the SBs or E-Q7's, and I did have some issues with sibilance on my brief listen to the SB. Did you find sibilance was more of a problem overall with the SBs? So far, I'm really very happy with the A1's - its a wonderful mix of qualities. Did you feel the SB's were worth the premium against the A1's?
Thanks, I agree the A1 are very balanced and less sibilant than the SB and SS. They are certainly the best bang/buck phones here. Like I said, it's a matter of personal preference whether the DB's more lively and dynamic sound signature is worth the price difference or not. I assume for most audiophile folks here the answer would be no.
Just to be fair, the SM3 come to mind as having quite decent timbre and bass texture for BA based phones, and if we can trust Anaxilus () the DBA-02 too don't have these problems, so I'm not ruling out that maybe someday I'm going to hear a BA based IEM that'll make me completely happy in this regard.
Lol James! Yeah, the DBA was quite the revelation for myself and other DD guys. For others not so much. I would have been more than happy to get rid of them had they sounded like the ER4, CK10, 530, etc. CK10 was pretty close in its own way but still different. More BA 2D to me. Just so you know, the DBA doesn't hold up to dynamic drivers like the D7000.
Yes, someone get the man a GR10 for the love of God!
I like the way that you presented the sound signatures with pictures - this is similar to what I do in my head to remember sound signatures. I picture different shaped rooms to represent the soundstage, different shading for brightness, and the room depicts the overall mood. For example, a narrow, tall, dark hallway for something with a narrow soundstage that extends vertically and sounds darker. It works quite well, since I can remember those mental images much better than I can simply remember how something sounds.
For you Half-Life junkies, when I think of one IEM (which shall remain unnamed in accordance to MOT regulation), I think of Nova Prospekt cell block A3. That's just an example.
Thanks, I can understand your reluctance. I've never had a cable crap out on me <knocks on wood>, so I'm usually not too worried. In fact I rather like the flat cable, except that it's really tricky to wear over-ear.
You got me there. I was more interested in the dimension actually, to see if they are large enough for MA driver, where FI-BA-SS is definitely a bit too small to house the MA driver.
Really? How much smaller is the SS compared to the GR8? The GR8 is itty bitty.
I do like that the moving armature has more of a presentation that I expect from a dynamic driver. Most BA earphones have the sound but lack a visceral sense. The note impulse just seems different between the designs.
Lets not confuse things, the FADs are definitely MAs. They are the first to use venting on MAs, but as stated earlier standard BAs have been vented before. Not sure how venting can help BAs considering they don't move any air, but I can definitely see it benefit MAs. The BAs in their names doesn't make it a standard BA, because the name MA or anything of the sort isn't official. Therefore naming it BA isn't out of of place because it is a Balanced Amature afterall regardless of the implementation to a Moving Armature design.
*edit: matter of fact they name their Moving Armature design, "Balanced Air Movement" BAM.
Edited by Inks - 10/31/10 at 1:05pm
Gives me a warm and fuzzy feeling inside, but it could have been the nachos
- [e-Q5 added] Shootout: The Ortofon e-Q7 versus 3 new Final Audio IEMs (FI-BA-A1, FI-BA-SB, FI-BA-SS)
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- › Schiit Valhalla 2 with Beyerdynamic DT990 Premium 250 Ohm 1 minute ago
- › Production programs? 2 minutes ago
- › Rockbox for iBasso DX90 dual boot with Stock FW ver 2.1.0 (Latest... 2 minutes ago
- › JH13 compared to UERM 2 minutes ago
- › Audiofly AF180 Performance Series Impression&Appreciation Thread 2 minutes ago
- › Official Ipod Video / Classic 5g+5.5g+6g+6.5g+7g SSD Mod thread 2 minutes ago
- › The Astell & Kern AK240 3 minutes ago
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (Update: 7/9/2014:... 3 minutes ago
- › Perfect Wave DAC Owner Unite 3 minutes ago
- › Shure SE425 4 minutes ago
- › Apple iPod classic 160 GB Silver (7th Generation) NEWEST MODEL by fluffyberry
- › Astell&Kern AK100II High Resolution Single DAC Audio Player... by CasperBxl
- › CEntrance DACmini CX by joespride
- › DUNU DN-2000 Hybrid 3 way earphone by mark2410
- › Astro A40 Audio System - White by MaxiMarciano
- › Logitech Z553 2.1 Speakers by Nada190
- › Future Sonics mg5pro 10mm Ear Monitors by Kunlun
- › AKG K812 by jk47
- › Sennheiser Grado Hybrid a.k.a. SennGrado by fleasbaby
- › T-Peos Altone200 by ClieOS
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Introduction)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Gaming Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Exercise Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Wireless Headphones)