The idea of using pictures is excellent , hope you'll reach the grados someday....
Recent Images In This Thread
Related Forum Threads
- Sennheiser IE80s vs. Utimate Ears UE900? Last post on 10/7/12 at 7:37pm in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- [REVIEW] Ortofon EQ-5 and Grado GR8: Battle of the Moving Armatures Last post on 12/18/12 at 7:24pm in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- Ortofon eQ5 in review - possibly the last earphone a man (or woman) could ever want in his (or... Last post on 4/5/13 at 8:16pm in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- Final Audio Design Heaven IV Last post on 2/6/15 at 5:01pm in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- What's your " go-to " IEM or portable headphone? Last post on 9/19/11 at 8:32pm in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
Top Tier Universal Iem Comparison Chart And Information
Last edited: 5/7/10
- Basic Guide To In Ear CanalphonesLast edited: 3/22/12
Intro/Setup The full-size closed under $200 category is a very popular one among pro’s and casual listeners alike. The most similar competitor to this I own is the Beyerdynamic DT770 Pro...
Fantastic sound quality! Very clean, detailed and balanced sound. Really strong power for high impedance headphones. Best buy until US 250,00.. It can drive easily my AKG K702 (famous for being...
Great sound, strong bass, great construct quality, very confortable, warm sound. This is a real overall headphone. Everything will sound good on it (not a real reference headphone). Fantastic for...
Great sound, great tone, very well balanced, very clean, great bass (not lacking), detailed sound. Everything sounds great on the SENNHEISER HD 598.
Fantastic Reference Headphones, fantastic sound clarity and definition. The soundstage is the best! Incredible detailed sound and instruments separation. Not for everyone. This is a very honest...
- Basic Guide To In Ear Canalphones
[e-Q5 added] Shootout: The Ortofon e-Q7 versus 3 new Final Audio IEMs (FI-BA-A1, FI-BA-SB, FI-BA-SS) - Page 2
Gear mentioned in this thread:
Unfortunately that is not a typo. It really is that cost.
@James: nice review as always I don't think I'll be going for any of the FAD earphones. I typically need a good cable to go with good sound. The SB is interesting but I just hate flat cables so probably won't get past that.
I thought the Finals were BA and not MA, therefore the BA in their names. I believe there are BA drivers available with a vent. Here's link to Shure's new se315 with a description of such. http://blog.earphonesolutions.com/?p=517 and a pic of an opened se530 showing a vented BA so they've been around a while. You would assume Sleek is using the same with their tuning.
I could be mistaken about the Final's and it certainly doesn't change the results of those excellent impressions. If not, so much for single BAs not being capable of full range sound. Thanks James.
Edited by goodvibes - 10/31/10 at 8:31am
I thought the Finals were BA and not MA, therefore the BA in their names. I believe there are BA drivers available with a vent. Here's link to Shure's new se315 with a description of such. http://blog.earphonesolutions.com/?p=517 I could be mistaken about the final's and it certainly doesn't change the results of those excellent impressions. If not, so much for single BAs not being capable of full range sound. Thanks James.
Thanks for your kind words - yet in case I'm proven wrong I'll of course correct my review. So why do I think they're MA? Well, I've been noticing that BA in their names too, but from their basic sound signature they are so very close to the e-Q7 and at the same time different from the other BAs I've heard. On top of that I was told that there are no vented BAs (turns out this info was wrong, thanks for correcting). Nevertheless, judging by ear I'd say the drivers move noticeably more air then all my other BAs.
I suspect your request may be heading in the same direction. Anyway, here's the picture:
Edited by james444 - 10/31/10 at 11:16am
Awesome write up James! I was curious to see where my new A1's lined up against everything else. I did feel the A1's were more neutral when compared to the SBs or E-Q7's, and I did have some issues with sibilance on my brief listen to the SB. Did you find sibilance was more of a problem overall with the SBs? So far, I'm really very happy with the A1's - its a wonderful mix of qualities. Did you feel the SB's were worth the premium against the A1's?
Thanks, I agree the A1 are very balanced and less sibilant than the SB and SS. They are certainly the best bang/buck phones here. Like I said, it's a matter of personal preference whether the DB's more lively and dynamic sound signature is worth the price difference or not. I assume for most audiophile folks here the answer would be no.
Just to be fair, the SM3 come to mind as having quite decent timbre and bass texture for BA based phones, and if we can trust Anaxilus () the DBA-02 too don't have these problems, so I'm not ruling out that maybe someday I'm going to hear a BA based IEM that'll make me completely happy in this regard.
Lol James! Yeah, the DBA was quite the revelation for myself and other DD guys. For others not so much. I would have been more than happy to get rid of them had they sounded like the ER4, CK10, 530, etc. CK10 was pretty close in its own way but still different. More BA 2D to me. Just so you know, the DBA doesn't hold up to dynamic drivers like the D7000.
Yes, someone get the man a GR10 for the love of God!
I like the way that you presented the sound signatures with pictures - this is similar to what I do in my head to remember sound signatures. I picture different shaped rooms to represent the soundstage, different shading for brightness, and the room depicts the overall mood. For example, a narrow, tall, dark hallway for something with a narrow soundstage that extends vertically and sounds darker. It works quite well, since I can remember those mental images much better than I can simply remember how something sounds.
For you Half-Life junkies, when I think of one IEM (which shall remain unnamed in accordance to MOT regulation), I think of Nova Prospekt cell block A3. That's just an example.
Thanks, I can understand your reluctance. I've never had a cable crap out on me <knocks on wood>, so I'm usually not too worried. In fact I rather like the flat cable, except that it's really tricky to wear over-ear.
You got me there. I was more interested in the dimension actually, to see if they are large enough for MA driver, where FI-BA-SS is definitely a bit too small to house the MA driver.
Really? How much smaller is the SS compared to the GR8? The GR8 is itty bitty.
I do like that the moving armature has more of a presentation that I expect from a dynamic driver. Most BA earphones have the sound but lack a visceral sense. The note impulse just seems different between the designs.
Lets not confuse things, the FADs are definitely MAs. They are the first to use venting on MAs, but as stated earlier standard BAs have been vented before. Not sure how venting can help BAs considering they don't move any air, but I can definitely see it benefit MAs. The BAs in their names doesn't make it a standard BA, because the name MA or anything of the sort isn't official. Therefore naming it BA isn't out of of place because it is a Balanced Amature afterall regardless of the implementation to a Moving Armature design.
*edit: matter of fact they name their Moving Armature design, "Balanced Air Movement" BAM.
Edited by Inks - 10/31/10 at 1:05pm
Gives me a warm and fuzzy feeling inside, but it could have been the nachos
- [e-Q5 added] Shootout: The Ortofon e-Q7 versus 3 new Final Audio IEMs (FI-BA-A1, FI-BA-SB, FI-BA-SS)
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- › FiiO X5 firmware 2.50 download and discussion 3 seconds ago
- › How and why do members fall in love with second tier headphones? 39 seconds ago
- › Beats studio wireless and powerbeats2 2 minutes ago
- › Schiit Valhalla 2 - 1 month old 3 minutes ago
- › MrSpeakers Alpha PRIME: Impressions and Discussion Thread 4 minutes ago
- › HUM Pervasion is coming - New DAP in Town 4 minutes ago
- › Looking for good headphones in my price range 4 minutes ago
- › Shure SE846 Impressions Thread 5 minutes ago
- › Audioquest USB, Toslink, Wireworld Coaxial, Kimber Speaker Cables 5 minutes ago
- › Yamaha MT220 Headphones For sale as new 5 minutes ago
- › Sennheiser HD 380 PRO Headphones by rigodeni
- › Matrix M-Stage by Johannus
- › Pioneer HDJ-2000 Reference Professional Dj Headphones by Johannus
- › Sennheiser HD 598 by Johannus
- › AKG K 702 Black by Johannus
- › AKG K 702 Headphones by Johannus
- › Sennheiser HD 650 Headphones by Johannus
- › Sennheiser RS 185 RF Wireless Headphone System by mark2410
- › Philips Fidelio L2 by DJScope
- › HUM Pervasion - Android DAP by DJScope
- › Can I change my user name? Can I delete my...
- › Table of Earphocalypse
- › The Great FiiO DAP FAQ Wiki
- › Audio Connections between components --...
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Introduction)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 2