The idea of using pictures is excellent , hope you'll reach the grados someday....
Recent Images In This Thread
Related Forum Threads
- Sennheiser IE80s vs. Utimate Ears UE900? Last post on 10/7/12 at 7:37pm in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- [REVIEW] Ortofon EQ-5 and Grado GR8: Battle of the Moving Armatures Last post on 12/18/12 at 7:24pm in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- Ortofon eQ5 in review - possibly the last earphone a man (or woman) could ever want in his (or... Last post on 4/5/13 at 8:16pm in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- Final Audio Design Heaven IV Last post on 3/1/13 at 11:08am in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- What's your " go-to " IEM or portable headphone? Last post on 9/19/11 at 8:32pm in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
Top Tier Universal Iem Comparison Chart And Information
Last edited: 5/7/10
- Basic Guide To In Ear CanalphonesLast edited: 3/22/12
i am giving this review after a month use, 30+ hours burning its still improving. at the first use found these a crap they were sounding low on my phone they are not that impact that i was looking...
For the prize, these sound amazing! I was extremly happy about my purchase until the headband broke. I only used them normally, with no extreme stretching at all. It is made of fragile plastic....
If you want to read me ramble on more about haptics and finish quality, head to Ω image's review. I know it is a year on and this earphone is no longer en vogue. However, I reviewed it. Take...
Now let me start by saying that at the time I purchased these Delta's, I was looking for a step up to my Philips SHE3580's to get a better quality budget iem. I have just sold my JVC FX40's and my...
I've completed my review on this headphone and it is currently waiting to go live elsewhere first. After a few days, it will be posted here. This headphone is a real winner. I am truly amazed by...
- Basic Guide To In Ear Canalphones
[e-Q5 added] Shootout: The Ortofon e-Q7 versus 3 new Final Audio IEMs (FI-BA-A1, FI-BA-SB, FI-BA-SS) - Page 2
Unfortunately that is not a typo. It really is that cost.
@James: nice review as always I don't think I'll be going for any of the FAD earphones. I typically need a good cable to go with good sound. The SB is interesting but I just hate flat cables so probably won't get past that.
I thought the Finals were BA and not MA, therefore the BA in their names. I believe there are BA drivers available with a vent. Here's link to Shure's new se315 with a description of such. http://blog.earphonesolutions.com/?p=517 and a pic of an opened se530 showing a vented BA so they've been around a while. You would assume Sleek is using the same with their tuning.
I could be mistaken about the Final's and it certainly doesn't change the results of those excellent impressions. If not, so much for single BAs not being capable of full range sound. Thanks James.
Edited by goodvibes - 10/31/10 at 8:31am
I thought the Finals were BA and not MA, therefore the BA in their names. I believe there are BA drivers available with a vent. Here's link to Shure's new se315 with a description of such. http://blog.earphonesolutions.com/?p=517 I could be mistaken about the final's and it certainly doesn't change the results of those excellent impressions. If not, so much for single BAs not being capable of full range sound. Thanks James.
Thanks for your kind words - yet in case I'm proven wrong I'll of course correct my review. So why do I think they're MA? Well, I've been noticing that BA in their names too, but from their basic sound signature they are so very close to the e-Q7 and at the same time different from the other BAs I've heard. On top of that I was told that there are no vented BAs (turns out this info was wrong, thanks for correcting). Nevertheless, judging by ear I'd say the drivers move noticeably more air then all my other BAs.
I suspect your request may be heading in the same direction. Anyway, here's the picture:
Edited by james444 - 10/31/10 at 11:16am
Awesome write up James! I was curious to see where my new A1's lined up against everything else. I did feel the A1's were more neutral when compared to the SBs or E-Q7's, and I did have some issues with sibilance on my brief listen to the SB. Did you find sibilance was more of a problem overall with the SBs? So far, I'm really very happy with the A1's - its a wonderful mix of qualities. Did you feel the SB's were worth the premium against the A1's?
Thanks, I agree the A1 are very balanced and less sibilant than the SB and SS. They are certainly the best bang/buck phones here. Like I said, it's a matter of personal preference whether the DB's more lively and dynamic sound signature is worth the price difference or not. I assume for most audiophile folks here the answer would be no.
Just to be fair, the SM3 come to mind as having quite decent timbre and bass texture for BA based phones, and if we can trust Anaxilus () the DBA-02 too don't have these problems, so I'm not ruling out that maybe someday I'm going to hear a BA based IEM that'll make me completely happy in this regard.
Lol James! Yeah, the DBA was quite the revelation for myself and other DD guys. For others not so much. I would have been more than happy to get rid of them had they sounded like the ER4, CK10, 530, etc. CK10 was pretty close in its own way but still different. More BA 2D to me. Just so you know, the DBA doesn't hold up to dynamic drivers like the D7000.
Yes, someone get the man a GR10 for the love of God!
I like the way that you presented the sound signatures with pictures - this is similar to what I do in my head to remember sound signatures. I picture different shaped rooms to represent the soundstage, different shading for brightness, and the room depicts the overall mood. For example, a narrow, tall, dark hallway for something with a narrow soundstage that extends vertically and sounds darker. It works quite well, since I can remember those mental images much better than I can simply remember how something sounds.
For you Half-Life junkies, when I think of one IEM (which shall remain unnamed in accordance to MOT regulation), I think of Nova Prospekt cell block A3. That's just an example.
Thanks, I can understand your reluctance. I've never had a cable crap out on me <knocks on wood>, so I'm usually not too worried. In fact I rather like the flat cable, except that it's really tricky to wear over-ear.
You got me there. I was more interested in the dimension actually, to see if they are large enough for MA driver, where FI-BA-SS is definitely a bit too small to house the MA driver.
Really? How much smaller is the SS compared to the GR8? The GR8 is itty bitty.
I do like that the moving armature has more of a presentation that I expect from a dynamic driver. Most BA earphones have the sound but lack a visceral sense. The note impulse just seems different between the designs.
Lets not confuse things, the FADs are definitely MAs. They are the first to use venting on MAs, but as stated earlier standard BAs have been vented before. Not sure how venting can help BAs considering they don't move any air, but I can definitely see it benefit MAs. The BAs in their names doesn't make it a standard BA, because the name MA or anything of the sort isn't official. Therefore naming it BA isn't out of of place because it is a Balanced Amature afterall regardless of the implementation to a Moving Armature design.
*edit: matter of fact they name their Moving Armature design, "Balanced Air Movement" BAM.
Edited by Inks - 10/31/10 at 1:05pm
Gives me a warm and fuzzy feeling inside, but it could have been the nachos
- [e-Q5 added] Shootout: The Ortofon e-Q7 versus 3 new Final Audio IEMs (FI-BA-A1, FI-BA-SB, FI-BA-SS)
- › Good over the ears for folk to rap and from post hardcore to... 26 seconds ago
- › Geek Pulse: Geek desktop DAC/AMP by Light Harmonics 28 seconds ago
- › [Preview] FiiO E18 Kunlun – Surprise, Surprise. 30 seconds ago
- › New JH Audio flagship! "Siren Series Roxanne" 45 seconds ago
- › The discovery thread.! Yamaha HPH-200 (PG 1110) !!.KEF... 1 minute ago
- › Sennhesier Momentum Over Ear *Price drop* 1 minute ago
- › T-PEOS H-200 - new triple hybrid IEM - Appreciation thread 2 minutes ago
- › Chinese / Asian Brand Info Thread (Headphones, IEMs, Amps, DACs) 2 minutes ago
- › VSonic VSD1/VSD1S Reviews/Impression Thread 5 minutes ago
- › The Fiio X3 Thread. 6 minutes ago
- › Sennheiser HD 439 Headphones Black by sagar khichi
- › AKG K520 by Veggietech
- › AudioFly AF78 by shigzeo
- › Brainwavz Delta by IEMagnet01
- › NAD Electronics VISO HP50 Noise-Isolating Over-Ear Headphones by 24Bit
- › Astell & Kern AK120 by 24Bit
- › Effect Audio Thor cable by average_joe
- › Heir Audio Tzar 350 by alpha421
- › Panasonic RP-HC720-K Over Ear Headphones Noise Canceling 95% by oostrov
- › iFi iCAN headphone amplifier by tdockweiler
- › Headphone Power Calculator Spreadsheet by robrob
- › Headphone-to-Speaker-Amp Interface With... by robrob
- › Headphone Resistor Network Calculator by robrob
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide by jude
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Introduction) by jude
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Over-Ear... by skehoe
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (In-Ear... by joe
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Desktop Amps... by joe
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Portable... by joe
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide... by joe