The idea of using pictures is excellent , hope you'll reach the grados someday....
Recent Images In This Thread
Related Forum Threads
- Sennheiser IE80s vs. Utimate Ears UE900? Last post on 10/7/12 at 7:37pm in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- [REVIEW] Ortofon EQ-5 and Grado GR8: Battle of the Moving Armatures Last post on 5/31/16 at 4:32pm in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- Ortofon eQ5 in review - possibly the last earphone a man (or woman) could ever want in his (or... Last post on 4/5/13 at 8:16pm in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- Final Audio Design Heaven IV Last post on 1/20/17 at 9:09am in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- What's your " go-to " IEM or portable headphone? Last post on 9/19/11 at 8:32pm in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones)
Last edited: 11/28/16
- Top Tier Universal Iem Comparison Chart And InformationLast edited: 6/22/16
- Basic Guide To In Ear CanalphonesLast edited: 3/22/12
So I got the chance to try out the Aune M1S, and to my Surprise it was way more than I had anticipated or expected. My first impressions was an absolute shock! This thing punches way above it...
Greetings Head-fi! Today we are going to be taking a look at the Paco, a compact, attractive, and smartly priced earphone in Fischer Audio's Totem series of products. Fischer Audio isn't new to the...
Overview I purchased these when they first came out during Black Friday in 2016, when they were on sale for $100 CAD. Until these I had mostly spent all of my money on IEMs since they're a lot...
INTRODUCTION Pioneer really surprised me with the new release of the DJ HRM-6 Professional Studio Monitor Headphones. I've recently tried out seven headphones that are considered high end and...
The nice thing about being last on the tour is that I have the benefit of completely broken in equipment. The new smell and feel is gone. Gone through many miles and air flights, and USPS trucks...
[e-Q5 added] Shootout: The Ortofon e-Q7 versus 3 new Final Audio IEMs (FI-BA-A1, FI-BA-SB, FI-BA-SS) - Page 2
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #17 of 18310/31/10 at 6:08amQuote:
Unfortunately that is not a typo. It really is that cost.
@James: nice review as always I don't think I'll be going for any of the FAD earphones. I typically need a good cable to go with good sound. The SB is interesting but I just hate flat cables so probably won't get past that.post #18 of 18310/31/10 at 6:30ampost #19 of 18310/31/10 at 6:50am
I thought the Finals were BA and not MA, therefore the BA in their names. I believe there are BA drivers available with a vent. Here's link to Shure's new se315 with a description of such. http://blog.earphonesolutions.com/?p=517 and a pic of an opened se530 showing a vented BA so they've been around a while. You would assume Sleek is using the same with their tuning.
I could be mistaken about the Final's and it certainly doesn't change the results of those excellent impressions. If not, so much for single BAs not being capable of full range sound. Thanks James.
Edited by goodvibes - 10/31/10 at 8:31ampost #20 of 18310/31/10 at 9:22amThread StarterQuote:Originally Posted by goodvibes
I thought the Finals were BA and not MA, therefore the BA in their names. I believe there are BA drivers available with a vent. Here's link to Shure's new se315 with a description of such. http://blog.earphonesolutions.com/?p=517 I could be mistaken about the final's and it certainly doesn't change the results of those excellent impressions. If not, so much for single BAs not being capable of full range sound. Thanks James.
Thanks for your kind words - yet in case I'm proven wrong I'll of course correct my review. So why do I think they're MA? Well, I've been noticing that BA in their names too, but from their basic sound signature they are so very close to the e-Q7 and at the same time different from the other BAs I've heard. On top of that I was told that there are no vented BAs (turns out this info was wrong, thanks for correcting). Nevertheless, judging by ear I'd say the drivers move noticeably more air then all my other BAs.
I suspect your request may be heading in the same direction. Anyway, here's the picture:
Edited by james444 - 10/31/10 at 11:16ampost #21 of 18310/31/10 at 9:30amThread StarterQuote:Originally Posted by a_recording
Awesome write up James! I was curious to see where my new A1's lined up against everything else. I did feel the A1's were more neutral when compared to the SBs or E-Q7's, and I did have some issues with sibilance on my brief listen to the SB. Did you find sibilance was more of a problem overall with the SBs? So far, I'm really very happy with the A1's - its a wonderful mix of qualities. Did you feel the SB's were worth the premium against the A1's?
Thanks, I agree the A1 are very balanced and less sibilant than the SB and SS. They are certainly the best bang/buck phones here. Like I said, it's a matter of personal preference whether the DB's more lively and dynamic sound signature is worth the price difference or not. I assume for most audiophile folks here the answer would be no.post #22 of 18310/31/10 at 10:16amQuote:Originally Posted by james444
Just to be fair, the SM3 come to mind as having quite decent timbre and bass texture for BA based phones, and if we can trust Anaxilus () the DBA-02 too don't have these problems, so I'm not ruling out that maybe someday I'm going to hear a BA based IEM that'll make me completely happy in this regard.
Lol James! Yeah, the DBA was quite the revelation for myself and other DD guys. For others not so much. I would have been more than happy to get rid of them had they sounded like the ER4, CK10, 530, etc. CK10 was pretty close in its own way but still different. More BA 2D to me. Just so you know, the DBA doesn't hold up to dynamic drivers like the D7000.
Yes, someone get the man a GR10 for the love of God!post #23 of 18310/31/10 at 10:30am
I like the way that you presented the sound signatures with pictures - this is similar to what I do in my head to remember sound signatures. I picture different shaped rooms to represent the soundstage, different shading for brightness, and the room depicts the overall mood. For example, a narrow, tall, dark hallway for something with a narrow soundstage that extends vertically and sounds darker. It works quite well, since I can remember those mental images much better than I can simply remember how something sounds.
For you Half-Life junkies, when I think of one IEM (which shall remain unnamed in accordance to MOT regulation), I think of Nova Prospekt cell block A3. That's just an example.post #24 of 18310/31/10 at 10:53amThread StarterQuote:
Thanks, I can understand your reluctance. I've never had a cable crap out on me <knocks on wood>, so I'm usually not too worried. In fact I rather like the flat cable, except that it's really tricky to wear over-ear.post #25 of 18310/31/10 at 10:57ampost #26 of 18310/31/10 at 11:14amQuote:
You got me there. I was more interested in the dimension actually, to see if they are large enough for MA driver, where FI-BA-SS is definitely a bit too small to house the MA driver.post #27 of 18310/31/10 at 11:19amQuote:
Really? How much smaller is the SS compared to the GR8? The GR8 is itty bitty.post #28 of 18310/31/10 at 11:20am
I do like that the moving armature has more of a presentation that I expect from a dynamic driver. Most BA earphones have the sound but lack a visceral sense. The note impulse just seems different between the designs.post #29 of 18310/31/10 at 12:54pm
Lets not confuse things, the FADs are definitely MAs. They are the first to use venting on MAs, but as stated earlier standard BAs have been vented before. Not sure how venting can help BAs considering they don't move any air, but I can definitely see it benefit MAs. The BAs in their names doesn't make it a standard BA, because the name MA or anything of the sort isn't official. Therefore naming it BA isn't out of of place because it is a Balanced Amature afterall regardless of the implementation to a Moving Armature design.
*edit: matter of fact they name their Moving Armature design, "Balanced Air Movement" BAM.
Edited by Inks - 10/31/10 at 1:05pmpost #30 of 18310/31/10 at 12:57pmQuote:
Gives me a warm and fuzzy feeling inside, but it could have been the nachosReturn HomeBack to Forum: Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- [e-Q5 added] Shootout: The Ortofon e-Q7 versus 3 new Final Audio IEMs (FI-BA-A1, FI-BA-SB, FI-BA-SS)
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- Top Tier Universal Iem Comparison Chart And Information
- › Questyle QP1 18 seconds ago
- › Fiio X5 3rd gen || 2x AKM 4490 || Balanced Out || DSD || DXD | DTS... 1 minute ago
- › Denon AH-7200 2 minutes ago
- › The Zishan dsd's corner 2 minutes ago
- › DIY Cable Questions and Comments Thread 4 minutes ago
- › FLC Technology FLC8 and FLC8s Impressions Thread 5 minutes ago
- › Shure SE846 Impressions Thread 6 minutes ago
- › DENAFRIPS 'ARES' R2R discrete ladder DAC - close up view 6 minutes ago
- › Official Ipod Video / Classic 5g+5.5g+6g+6.5g+7g SSD Mod thread 6 minutes ago
- › thebit Opus#1 DAP from South Korea 7 minutes ago
- › AUNE M1S 32BIT/384KHZ DSD128 3.5MM/2.5MM BALANCED HIFI AUDIOPHILE... by Hypespazm
- › Fischer Audio Totem Paco by B9Scrambler
- › Sennheiser HD 598 Cs by peaches
- › Pioneer DJ HRM-6 Professional Studio Monitor Headphones by ILIRS CORNER
- › RHA CL1 Ceramic by ngoshawk
- › RHA Dacamp L1 by ngoshawk
- › AudioQuest - Nighthawk Headphones by kevingzw
- › thinksound On2 wood on-ear monitor headphone (natural black) by crabdog
- › PSB M4U 1 by JoshG1217
- › Cayin i5 by daduy
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Travel Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (CanJams)
- › FiiO X3II DAP firmwares with custom themes
- › Flawless Album Suggestions
- › The Audiophile Scene in a Third World Country...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide:...
- › Chord Mojo FAQ
- › Head-Fi Logo Gear