New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

[REVIEW] Etymotic MC5 - Page 2

post #16 of 46

Here's a nice MC5 review: http://www.topreviewshop.com/etymotic_mc5_earphones

The summary gives I think a very fair description of their capabilities and limitations and why some people (like me) will like them a lot but others, not so much:

 

Quote:
There is a second big caveat to the MC5, however, and that is the sound signature. The earphones are shamelessly accurate, impossibly neutral, and extremely clear. From a technical standpoint they are at the top of the game – leagues above mainstream competition such as the Klipsch S4 and JAYS t-JAYS. However, though the dynamic drivers are capable of excellent extension at the limits, the MC5 lacks the bass presence and treble energy some of the competitors take such pride in providing. As a result, those who don’t particularly favor an uncompromisingly balanced sound may find the MC5 slightly boring, slightly inept at conveying energy and excitement, much like a consumer using high-end studio monitors to listen to music may want to go back to a pair of Klipsch bookshelf speakers. That, then, is the Etymotic Research MC5 in a nutshell – an amazing feat of audio engineering that is more consumer-friendly than the higher-end models but still far from being all things to all music lovers. For those who just want to hear their music the way it was mastered, the MC5 represents one of the best possible ways to spend $79 – a great introduction to audiophile sound at a great price. For everyone else, the appeal of the earphones will be highly dependent on personal audio preferences.
post #17 of 46

Thank you! :) that was in depth and useful!

post #18 of 46

The initial review is very accurate!

 

Unfortunately, I had to return my MC3 (MC5 with a mic) after 2 days. I was missing the bass and high-end. I wonder why they cut off at 15k? Is Etymotic assuming that we don't hear above 15k? 

 

The MC3 are not bad at all, but I'm looking for a IEM sound that is closer to my Senn HD 228 Pro.

post #19 of 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nichiren View Post

The initial review is very accurate!

 

Unfortunately, I had to return my MC3 (MC5 with a mic) after 2 days. I was missing the bass and high-end. I wonder why they cut off at 15k? Is Etymotic assuming that we don't hear above 15k? 

 

The MC3 are not bad at all, but I'm looking for a IEM sound that is closer to my Senn HD 228 Pro.

 

Umm, are you sure you hear above 15k?  Have you done a real hearing test to confirm?  If you do then Kudos.  Also I'm not sure that most Senns extend higher than the MC5.  Not the ones I've heard at least.  Haven't heard the HD600, 800 or 25 though.
 


Edited by Anaxilus - 12/16/10 at 10:53am
post #20 of 46
Thread Starter 
15kHz is just a rough figure without any tolerance value. It could be +/- 3dB (which is very useful but quite impossible) or +/- 20dB (which is totally useless but look good on paper). Just don't read into spec too much. UE used to list 16kHz on spec too but now they list 20kHz, which they say the IEM is still capable of reproducing but it is inaudible by human - Of course they fail to mention that 20kHz is not heard because the volume is so very low, but it looks good on paper anyway. All but marketing trick.
post #21 of 46

Yep, 18k and I'm over 40.

post #22 of 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClieOS View Post

15kHz is just a rough figure without any tolerance value. It could be +/- 3dB (which is very useful but quite impossible) or +/- 20dB (which is totally useless but look good on paper). Just don't read into spec too much. UE used to list 16kHz on spec too but now they list 20kHz, which they say the IEM is still capable of reproducing but it is inaudible by human - Of course they fail to mention that 20kHz is not heard because the volume is so very low, but it looks good on paper anyway. All but marketing trick.


Thanks for the info.

post #23 of 46

I had no earphones with me on Friday and had to buy a set of these in Dixons at Gatwick. The noise attenuation is excellent with the triple flanges. Other than that, yeah, they're not spectacular by any means, but they're functional iphone-compatible earphones and they seem pretty bomb proof.

post #24 of 46

then clieos, have you tried the hf5? if the re0 can match the er4s then it beats the hf5?

 

post #25 of 46
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by kanuka View Post

then clieos, have you tried the hf5? if the re0 can match the er4s then it beats the hf5?

 


No, I haven't tried the hf5 nor know how good it is.

 

post #26 of 46

but didnt you mentioned it on the review?

 

post #27 of 46
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by kanuka View Post

but didnt you mentioned it on the review?

 


It is an educational guess. hf5 is a very well regarded analytical IEM that get compared to ER4P (which I own) from time to time in the forum, that much I know. MC5 on the other hand is not a particularly good analytical IEM, nor a particularly good sound IEM in the sub $100 category. By adding the two together  - instead of telling people to buy an analytical IEM that is known to be not quite up to its claim, I would rather advice people to get something that is well regarded, especially when the street prices is attractive.


Edited by ClieOS - 7/3/11 at 7:18am
post #28 of 46

oh! thank you for clearing up!

if i'd go for any ety, it'd be the hf5 extreme isolation and build quality. as the er4s are very pricy. but being the RE0 a rival to the er4s make be doubt somehow. and also the er4s needing an amp (more than th RE0). though another option 'd be the er4p + the adapter at a cheap price...

thanks


Edited by kanuka - 7/3/11 at 11:10am
post #29 of 46

After four months my 5's quickly dropped in gain levels.  Thought it might be the filters, but if so that would be a first for me.  With these and REO experience I am going to pay more attention to things such as warranty and reports of malfunctioning on any future prospective purchases.

post #30 of 46

I live in Singapore and it isn't particularly easy to get my hands on spare filters for the mc5. No shop sells em as far as i can look. Do you think it is possible to fit in phonak or ER-4 filters into the mc5? I do know where to get phonak filters or ER-4 filters

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav: