or Connect
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors › GRADO GR10: Reviews, First Impressions Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

GRADO GR10: Reviews, First Impressions Thread - Page 54

post #796 of 1132
Quote:
Originally Posted by willyvlyminck View Post

I would try foam tips, just to see if it makes any difference in bass, if still not the mentioned Sennheiser IE80 will be better suited for you.

Every other tip I've tried with GR10s has resulted in a very noticeable degradation of the sound, particularly in the bass region, when compared to stock tips.
post #797 of 1132

I have the IE80 myself and listen mainly to progressive rock,but also to folk and vocal orientated Music. I did not try the GR10,altrough I had them on my wish list to, but the extreme high Price compared to the Sennheiser did make my choice easier, altrough I would like to hear a track like Yes "Roundabout" with the GR10. I have the Grado IGI, and they are very dynamic and have the ideal bass for progressive rock if you like Yes, Magma, Chrome Hoof,Djam Karet amonst many other, they just lack the clarity and 3 dimensional Sound the IE80 have,but ok, the IGI Comes at 1 third of the IE80 Price, but they are great when Walking and on the bus etc. The IE80 I use when I really want to listen.

post #798 of 1132
Quote:
Originally Posted by willyvlyminck View Post
 

I would like to hear a track like Yes "Roundabout" with the GR10.

 

I just gave it a listen with my Samsung S3 and Spotify, and it was as expected: the instrumentation was gorgeous. The slow guitar plucking at the beginning was really nice. However, I was listening to the remastered version on a cell phone. Every time he made an "s" sound, I winced in pain. It was really sharp.

 

Quick! Somebody send me some high-end equipment! We have experiments to do!

post #799 of 1132

I add this every so often to this thread. Run them at a good clip for a bit. A friend had a pair he used intermittently at low V for a year and they weren't singing. Ran them in for a couple days at elevated V and they're fab now.

post #800 of 1132
Quote:
Originally Posted by Haptan View Post
 

 

I just gave it a listen with my Samsung S3 and Spotify, and it was as expected: the instrumentation was gorgeous. The slow guitar plucking at the beginning was really nice. However, I was listening to the remastered version on a cell phone. Every time he made an "s" sound, I winced in pain. It was really sharp.

 

Quick! Somebody send me some high-end equipment! We have experiments to do!

 

I just don't think you can get away with listening to music on a phone or through a computer with these phones, they are far to revealing in general but Im curious as to why you had the 's' pain - Bear in  mind many so called remasters or indeed modern day mastering is very...well lets just say unsubtle! 

I think the gr10's are just brutal at revealing any flaws which means when all the best conditions come together they sound phenominal but when attempting to use them with less than ideal equipment/recordings they will show you what is there?

using a known low end favoured presented headphone such as sennheiser you may find the sharp sibilance is masked and it 'appears' not to be there but you could argue that would be because the phones are not balanced, neutral or true to the source. But then many if not all headphones will colour the sound to a lesser or greater degree.

im rambling on :) but great thread, its really making re-evaluate my grado's - what they are great at and why and vice a versa and awakended an interest in other iems as mentioned

I still believe 100% that Grados have a unique and special quality and as such may suite some more than others 

post #801 of 1132
Quote:
Originally Posted by goodvibes View Post
 

I add this every so often to this thread. Run them at a good clip for a bit. A friend had a pair he used intermittently at low V for a year and they weren't singing. Ran them in for a couple days at elevated V and they're fab now.

 

Thanks for this advice - i am like your friend - I love them but i could see where they might shine more due to this. I will try. thanks again

post #802 of 1132
Quote:
Originally Posted by goodvibes View Post
 

I add this every so often to this thread. Run them at a good clip for a bit. A friend had a pair he used intermittently at low V for a year and they weren't singing. Ran them in for a couple days at elevated V and they're fab now.

 

Ha! I know. I've seen your posts scattered throughout. And in fact, I'm doing exactly that. I have my wife's iPod blasting random radio stations through them. Today is day two, and I think I've probably applied about 20 (ish) hours of blasting to them. A few hours ago, I took a listen, just to see if they had changed. Something from Biggie. I was like "huh, you know, there might be some bass improvement here after all!" but then I plugged in my Klipsch and realized this particular Biggie track was practically all bass, and I was essentially blasting the bassiest of bass songs. This experience is one reason why I kinda doubt a bass boost will do much for me.

 

But I'm keeping the hope alive. I'll continue to do this all week, and we'll see what happens. Do you have any specific recommendations for this process? And when you say "fab", are you referring to the sharp highs, or the missing lows? I have the iPod on highest volume, cycling through different radio stations every few hours. Sometimes I stop it and listen at normal volume just to see what it's like. Then I start the radio blasting again.

post #803 of 1132


And Chris Squire´s bass?? You can also try "Heart of the Sunrise", but I don´t think the reason is your Samsung phone,and Spotify is not on the same soundlevel as WIMP, but quite ok. Strange that some like the GR10 so much, consdering you Need an amp to get some bass from them wich is than alltogether an expensive pleasure.

post #804 of 1132
Quote:
Originally Posted by jon parker View Post

 

I still believe 100% that Grados have a unique and special quality and as such may suite some more than others 

 

I will back you up on that all day long. I've been listening to Bonerama as much as possible with the GR10, because they make me feel like I'm sitting in a small outdoor stage at Jazzfest in New Orleans, watching the guys blast the front row into the second row. I miss being able to go to New Orleans (because I now live in Europe), so I can honestly say I've been with these stupid earphones 3 days, and I already have an emotional attachment to them. But damn it, if they can't give me the thump of a string bass, or the low growl of a tuba, I'm going to have to break it off.

post #805 of 1132

With other words the GR10 will only Sound good with  Players like the Astel & Kern ,FiiO, and Sony to Name some of the most wellknown?

post #806 of 1132
Quote:
Originally Posted by willyvlyminck View Post
 


And Chris Squire´s bass?? You can also try "Heart of the Sunrise", but I don´t think the reason is your Samsung phone,and Spotify is not on the same soundlevel as WIMP, but quite ok. Strange that some like the GR10 so much, consdering you Need an amp to get some bass from them wich is than alltogether an expensive pleasure.

Woah. Before I say this, let me make it clear that I'm not making this up. But I had no idea that instrument was a bass guitar. Seriously. I'm not familiar with the song; the first time I listened to the track was with the GR10. I assumed that part of the track was some kind of electronic weird thing.

 

I listened to it again with my Klipsch, and I was completely surprised to learn of an intricate bass line in the background. So I put the GR10 back on, and exclaimed (quietly) "oooooooooooooooooh! That's a bass!"

 

Dude. These cans had better reproduce the bass better after burn-in. This is starting to piss me off. I really, really like everything about these phones except the bass response.

 

Heart of the Sunrise was a fun experiment, because I'm also not familiar with this song. I started on the GR10. They did their best. It was like a watching a middle-school baseball game. I kept thinking "you know what, that might be bass! That's pretty low, right? It's low enough to be considered actual bass!" Then the song got to the faster part (a third of the way through the song), at which point the GR10 just started showing off. "Yeah," they said, "we got this." It was fun. Every single part of the guitar was brilliantly and confidently rendered. But to be fair to everyone, I started the song again with the Klipsch. And then I had two thoughts at roughly the same time. The first was "oh no, that wasn't bass" and the second was "where are all the other sounds?"

 

Heh heh.

post #807 of 1132

Okay, this may be more scientific (relative to my own ears). I found this tone generator here (http://plasticity.szynalski.com/tone-generator.htm), and I've been trying to get a feeling for the difference between the Klipsch S4 and the Grado GR10.

 

Experiment #1: Minimum Tone Detection

 

Preconditions: Set the tone to 500 Hz and set the volume until it kinda hurts your ears. As in, "I don't want to do this anymore".

Test Procedure: Lower the volume until you honestly can not hear it anymore. Then slowly raise the volume until, if you were receiving an ear exam, you could raise your hand and say "Um. maybe I hear it now?". Record it. Next, raise the volume until you (as a person) believe a headphone manufacturer should be legally allowed to claim the frequency on their product packaging. Record it.

 

Results

 

Grado GR10 (at roughly 20 hours of loud burn-in)

 

Ear Exam Minimum Positive Acknowledgment Frequency (EEMPAF): 46 Hz

It was hard to hear over the sound of the computer fan, but after toggling on/off a few times, I'm confident I can hear it.

 

Minimum Frequency at Meaningful Volume (MFMV): 70 Hz

There seems to be a roll-off between 60 and 70 Hz. It went down quick below 70. The difference between 60 and 70 was higher than 70 to 80.

 

Klipsch Image S4 (after five years of almost constant use)

 

Ear Exam Minimum Positive Acknowledgment Frequency (EEMPAF): 28 Hz

 

Minimum Frequency at Meaningful Volume (MFMV): 40 Hz

 

Conclusion

 

Okay, this wasn't scientific at all. I went back to reproduce my results and I got a EEMPAF of 40Hz on the GR10 (I held my breath and toggled it back and forth). Then I realized that the input resistance isn't the same for both earphones, so I really had to re-calibrate the initial volume. But I actually had to turn it up for the Klipsch (presumably because the mids aren't as loud or bright), which means the lows were more audible. So in the end, the results still showed a 30 (ish) Hz frequency difference in the MFMV between the two products.

 

The only thing you can (maybe) take away from this silly experiment is the following: the Grado GR10 has bright, loud mids, and not-very low lows, as compared to the Klipsch S4 when volume-normalized at 500 Hz. Great. But I guess it's interesting to see the 30 Hz delta.

 

Experiment #2: Highest Volume Possible

 

Preconditions: Set the frequency at 20 Hz. Set the volume as high as it can go. Put the earphones in your ears and pray Windows doesn't automatically "ding" for some reason.

Test Procedure: See if you can detect the 20 Hz signal at highest volume.

 

Results

 

Grado GR10 (at roughly 20 hours of loud burn-in)

No. The lowest frequency I could detect was about 30 Hz. Interestingly, I could hear a change in the amount of static when I started the tone. When I increased the frequency past 30 or so, they kinda "crackled" as if saying "oh yeah, what? I was asleep. Do you want something?".

 

Klipsch Image S4 (after five years of almost constant use)

Yes. Pretty clearly.

 

Conclusion

 

This is a scary experiment. I was afraid I was going to get an email notification and blow out my ears. Anyway, the results absolutely reflects my experience here. The Grado GR10 simply doesn't reproduce low frequencies at reasonable volumes. Compared to the mids, the lows just get completely lost.

post #808 of 1132

When I had them, I thought they sounded better than my other phones at the time on a clip or Ipod touch.

post #809 of 1132
Thread Starter 

I found little to no difference with GR10 amped or unamped.  Almost preferred it unamped.

post #810 of 1132

That sounds like a pretty difficult one. "Fragile" was a brilliant recording also technical considering it was produced in 1971, there were/are even audiophile Versions on the market,also a High-res one. In Terms of detail the GR10 might be unbeatable, but the Senn IE80 might be a Close second with bass. I recommended "Fragile" due to the great bass playing, you can go more extreme with Magma, who somethimes played with 3 bass Players in their several line-ups.Try "Attack" you also find them on Spotify.

It is strange that with the IGI ´s there is plenty of bass but lack in detail, so in the end you have to choose for the best compromise.I hope you still have some days left:-)

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors › GRADO GR10: Reviews, First Impressions Thread