How's the bass texture on these? I found the e-Q7 to have one of the best I've heard and if the GR10 is similar I may look into them if I see them for cheaper. I'm just waiting for AC Gears to get them eventually before I decide anything.
Recent Images In This Thread
- brandGradotagged by System, 10/27/10
- productGrado GR10 In-ear Headphonestagged by System, 2/3/11
- productGrado GR8 In-Ear Headphonestagged by System, 10/27/10
- categoryIn Eartagged by System, 10/27/10
- productShure SE535-V Earphonetagged by System, 10/27/10
- productSpider "realvoice" Vertical in the Ear Headphonetagged by System, 6/27/11
- productWestone 4 True-Fit Earphonestagged by System, 12/2/11
Related Forum Threads
- Help on getting new IEMs (Classical Music) Last post on 7/24/12 at 5:45am in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- The IEM/Portable Headphones Deal Alerts Thread - Closed! Use the Deals Thread III instead. Last post on 11/13/13 at 11:26pm in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- Best IEM for heavy metal under 500 dollars? Last post on 9/26/14 at 2:16am in Introductions, Help and Recommendations
- new in-ear Last post on 10/16/12 at 5:51pm in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- Best IEM's Under $500 Last post on 11/18/12 at 8:08pm in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
Grado Modification Overview
Last edited: 9/27/11
- Top Tier Universal Iem Comparison Chart And InformationLast edited: 6/22/16
- Basic Guide To In Ear CanalphonesLast edited: 3/22/12
-Introduction- It’s not often I have the chance to review products as high-end as the ZMF x Vibro MK II. I approached Zach in July, and asked for a loaner unit. One wasn’t readily available...
Firstly, many thanks to iFi for the loan of this amp. I am not affiliated with iFi, just a regular Head-Fi addict to happens to be lucky enough to get loan units now and again from the generous iFi...
The Grado SR80i presents everything very nicely, almost romantic, you can hear everything, until you start comparing. Its not the most detailed, however it is very transparent. Its soundstage is...
Acknowledgment Thanks Arcam of Cambridge for including me in the UK tour in exchange for my honest opinion.IntroductionThe more I look at the audio industry, the more amazed I am at the number of...
Cayin iDac-6 and iHA-6 A story of a beautiful duo and my honeymoon with them Prequel Let me rewind just a tad before we begin. I am one of many who interminably chase the...
GRADO GR10: Reviews, First Impressions Thread - Page 5post #61 of 113211/4/10 at 8:35pm
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #62 of 113211/4/10 at 9:47pmQuote:
Wow! So what would you say the percentage of overall improvement is over the GR8? I know it's subjective and all, but your impressions have been very interesting. Thanks for taking one for the team. I'm glad you're enjoying them.post #63 of 113211/5/10 at 12:44pmThread Starter
Rawster - The bass is very tight and it extends deep. I hear people use this to describe Etys but I do not hear that. With GR10 I definitely hear it that way. It is not "thick" sounding but produces the music very faithfully with any decent recording. I have been listening to a lot of jazz with these. Jazz with many ensemble of instruments with busy music, lots of percussion, etc and nothing bleeds into anything else. The reproduction is fast and articulate. I also can't say enough about the vocals. Shures (SE535) are excellent with vocals as well but I prefer GR10 because it is not quite as warm. Absolutely no veil of any kind. A little better realism IMHO.
dongringo - At least a 20% improvement over GR8 (which to me is significant at this level). The slight graininess I hear with GR8 is gone with GR10. Slightly more efficient, slightly more bass extension and quite a bit more overall clarity and treble energy but not where it is harsh or siblant. The only way possible a person could not consider these a top 2-3 universal IEM is if they prefer a very thick, full sound like one would get with a W3 type sound sig. It is terrific in every other aspect.
Edited by Spyro - 11/5/10 at 12:48pmpost #64 of 113211/5/10 at 1:36pm
This thing sounds like the holy grail of IEMs for me. It seemingly fixes the very minor flaws in the e-Q7 and GR8, and I hold the e-Q7 in VERY high regard, near perfect and by far the best IEM I've ever heard or owned. Too bad it's not a bit more affordable...
Edited by EraserXIV - 11/5/10 at 1:39pmpost #65 of 113211/5/10 at 2:18pm
It does sound like something that has potential. The texture on the e-Q7 was something that was unique and has not been replicated in any other earphone I've heard whether BA or dynamic. Great extension to go along with great vocals is definitely something that I would say would be a good earphone for me. The e-Q7 was close although there was a bit of a treble rolloff and the size of the housing was a bit large and I did not like the cables. It is expensive however so that is something that prevents me from buying them right now.post #66 of 113211/5/10 at 3:20pmpost #67 of 113211/7/10 at 10:38amThread Starter
Grado GR10 VERSUS Westone W3
I have spent a couple hours with each of these side by side and will share my thoughts on the comparison.
Preface: 3G Nano unamped was used for the comparison. Many people would also use EQ as off for a comparison but I do not. I adjust the EQ to each IEM to try to obtain the most pleasurable sound to my ears. My preferred setting with W3 is “treble booster” and with GR10 I am using the “rock” setting. Please keep this in mind throughout the review as it will help you in understanding how the GR10 really sounds. P-100 comply tips were used with W3 and the supplied gel tips were used with GR10. Also, as many of you know, I have considered the W3 (& SE535) to be perhaps my favorite universal IEM so I knew the GR10 had big shoes to fill. So let’s go!
TREBLE: On the respective EQ settings the amount of detail is very close which says a lot about the treble of GR10. Quite excellent on both, no siblance or harshness with either except on some vocals W3 started to get a little edgy sounding. The way each achieves the treble seems a little different. With the W3 it sounds a little more manufactured and sort of liquid smooth and forgiving of recordings. With the GR10 it sounds more real with a bit more transparency which will reveal more flaws in a recording. GR10 might be a bit faster sounding as well.
MIDRANGE: I was surprised to learn that GR10 was not quite as forward sounding as first I thought. Yes, it is forward but perhaps not quite as much as the Shures. Very smooth on the GR10, W3 more distant. Not bad, just distant and not as intimate. I find the GR10 midrange perfect! So realistic but not necessarily in your face.
BASS: No surprise here, W3 is still a bit more. The treble booster setting does tame down the bass and enhance the overall clarity but it can still get boomy at times. It’s not bad and it’s not the most balanced but it is fun and engaging. It seems to work really well with some recordings and not quite as well with others. Conversely, GR10 can sound a little lean on some recordings but for the majority it comes through very fine. It is certainly more correct than W3 but I guess sometimes not as fun.
SOUNDSTAGE: W3 is definitely bigger and has a more distance where GR10 is closer and more intimate. At higher volumes the closer more intimate GR10 could be more fatiguing on the ears but at the same time GR10 sounds more “real” and more “live.”
FINAL THOUGHTS: It is amazing how far IEM technology has come where a simple 1 driver earbud produces the same or better sound than a triple driver and this is certainly the case here. The W3 is a bigger sound and more dynamic but the GR10 is definitely more together and cohesive…so complete sounding. I simply cannot say either one of these is better than the other. They are both excellent but different. If I want to ROCK OUT and get an adrenaline rush I will reach for the W3’s but if I want to analyze music or listen for extended periods or enjoy some vocal or acoustic music I would take the GR10’s every time. The GR10’s clearly have more transparency but the airiness keeps the sound smooth and harmonic making it very pleasurable to listen to. It is worth noting that the GR10 might be a bit more finicky with different sources. When paired with a single cd Sony boombox I also use, the GR10's sound way to lean and the W3's sound great. Without comparing with additional sources I do not know whether this could be a problem with GR10 but synergy with Ipod products is great! The W3 is like the IEM on steroids. Its sound is big and full. You know it is not the most balanced but you don’t care because it is very fun and engaging. I certainly see a place for both of these in my collection and the GR10 also has an advantage of ease of use as an earbud. I have enjoyed many IEM’s I have heard or purchased but GR10 will certainly be one that stands out in the crowd. I hope more people get to hear it.
Edited by Spyro - 11/7/10 at 10:43ampost #68 of 113211/7/10 at 12:35pmQuote:
Thanks for the update! If they ever start selling these outside the US I know at least one more person who'll get to hear them.post #69 of 113211/7/10 at 1:36pmpost #70 of 113211/7/10 at 3:41pmThread Starter
GR10 doesn't necessarily sound like the ER4 in the majority of aspects but certainly shares the hyper detail and transparency.
I cannot stress enough to any ER4 fans that if price is not an issue and you truly want the next step of what an ER4 is or would be, THIS IS IT!!.
Of any IEM that has come out in the last 10 years, and as true to "balanced" as Etymotic demands to be, I would like to think that Ety designers would applaud the GR10 and perhaps realize..."we need to move forward with another product."
Edited by Spyro - 11/7/10 at 3:43pmpost #71 of 113211/11/10 at 4:42pmQuote:
I have seen the GR8 on sale at retail stores in Japan.post #72 of 113211/11/10 at 5:00pm
US dealers will not ship outside of the US. Outside of the US, they can be purchased from the authorized dealer of that country. I'm liking my GR8 more and more. I've also manged to get my hands on the GR10. I will be letting them burn in and then I will post my impressions.post #73 of 113211/11/10 at 7:40pmpost #74 of 113211/12/10 at 4:41am
I would love to have a comparison between GR10 and DBA-02!! As it looks like both share awesome detail and transparency!! Would GR10 be considered as an upgrade over DBA-02? the price difference would suggest so? then again, it might not be that way.
Josepost #75 of 113211/12/10 at 5:11am
i think it goes without saying that gr10 is an upgrade over dba02
as much praised as dba is in here , we have to take facts over admiration
but any comments on the gr10 are welcome , since this seem like a pair of killer IEM'sReturn HomeBack to Forum: Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- GRADO GR10: Reviews, First Impressions Thread
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- Top Tier Universal Iem Comparison Chart And Information
- › Fostex x Massdrop TH-X00 Review 3 minutes ago
- › Active Bookshelf Speakers? 3 minutes ago
- › iFi iDSD Micro DSD512 / PCM768 DAC and Headphone Amp. Impressions,... 4 minutes ago
- › Audeze LCD-4 6 minutes ago
- › ATH M50 Mod Thread 7 minutes ago
- › Almost like new iPad Pro 256 gb 7 minutes ago
- › Earbuds Round-Up 9 minutes ago
- › Headphones for Electronic Music - HD650s? 9 minutes ago
- › Three Word Story 10 minutes ago
- › The JPS Labs: Abyss AB-1266 Impressions Thread 10 minutes ago
- › ZMF Headphones x Vibro MK II by Cinder
- › iFi Pro iCAN by Turrican2
- › Grado SR80i Headphones by Bloos
- › Arcam rHead - Discrete True-linear Class-A Analogue Headphone... by glassmonkey
- › Cayin iHA-6 by Dillan
- › Cayin iDAC-6 by Dillan
- › Yamaha HPH-200 Headphone (Black) by harry501501
- › TY Hi-Z 32ohm HiFi Earbuds Earphone by Himpedance
- › RHA MA750i by meetpatel3686
- › ORIVETI PRIMACY - Whole Aluminium Body, Triple Drivers Hybrid 2... by ustinj
- › Flawless Album Suggestions
- › The Audiophile Scene in a Third World Country...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide:...
- › Chord Mojo FAQ
- › Head-Fi Logo Gear
- › All about iPod Touch 6G as digital transport
- › List of major HiFiMan HE1000 reviews,...
- › Can I change my user name? Can I delete my...