Right now I may prefer the LCD-2 Rev 1 (its the one I have) over the Omega 2 MK2, but not over the MK1. I can't certify this without some back to back tests. The soundstage on the Omega 2 (both versions) is better
- productAudeze LCD2 Planar Magnetic Headphonestagged by System, 10/25/10
- productAudio-Technica ATH-M50Stagged by System, 10/25/10
- productSennheiser HD 650 Headphonestagged by System, 10/25/10
- productStax SR-007 "Omega II" Open-Back Electrostatic Earspeakertagged by System, 10/25/10
Related Forum Threads
- Love my HD600's, would a HE-400 be a sideways upgrade? Do I need to move to HE-500? Last post on 9/1/12 at 11:21pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Best closed headphone under 300 dollars Last post on 8/14/12 at 6:42am in Headphones (full-size)
- LCD-2 sound, less weight? Last post on 10/12/15 at 6:12pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Are the Sennheiser HD650's worth another $100? Last post on 9/23/14 at 9:59pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Lets make the HD650 sound like the LCD-2? Last post on 1/4/14 at 3:37am in Headphone Amps (full-size)
Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
Last edited: 1/11/17
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2Last edited: 1/3/17
- Comparisons of LCD-2 Rev. 1 and Rev. 2Last edited: 9/19/11
Shozy has kindly provided me a review unit in exchange for the honest opinion. They are in active use for about 6 months. I should first note that my experience with IEM is a bit limited by now, so...
INTRODUCTION: I would like to thank @Jack Vang of Empire Ears, for the discount on my purchase of the Zeus-XIV-ADEL Custom IEM and for giving me the opportunity to review the IEM. I would also...
This is by far the closest I have come to writing a 5 star review. Of course to get that, I would have to find the holy grail of headphones for me. I had tried the HD558, HD598, HD650, and...
Used Schiit Modi & Magni with car sim racing game with Sennheiser HD 598 headphones. Unfortunately, Modi died after 2+ years. Was hoping Schiit would cover Modi under warranty since it died just 2...
These are *fantastic* for the price. Compared side by side to some old Sennheiser MX500s, that cost at least 4x as much, the Monk+ absolutely wipes the floor - they are hugely superior. Warm...
My comparison review of Stax Omega 2 mk2, LCD-2, HD650, and M50 - Page 6post #76 of 8612/15/11 at 4:27pm
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #77 of 8612/15/11 at 5:57pm
Would that be the only thing that trumps the LCD's?Quote:post #78 of 8612/16/11 at 5:31am
Are you referring to soundstage as being the only aspect about the Omegas that trumps the LCD2? Or are you referring to the Omega 2 as being the only headphone to trump the LCD2?
For both answers, I say no.
The soundstage is not too far apart from one another. The LCD 2 are beautiful sounding, but the Omega 2 sounds more technically perfect. The notes sound as thougj they decay faster and allow for more detail to be retrieved. The tonal balance of the MK2 is not as transparent as the Mk1 due to a bump in the bass primarily. From the perspective of tonality, I favor the LCD2 over the Omega 2, but I would say that both Omega 2s are more transparent.
Regarding the second question, there are definitely a few headphones I favor over the LCD2 but certainly not for the price. Again, I have only heard the Rev 1 version. I am doubtful that I will be purchasing the rev 2 as the LCD3 is now available.post #79 of 8612/16/11 at 10:32am
that sounds about right. I think the Omega might not have much more soundstage size, but it feels more spacious because of the lighter, airier sound and better imaging. Imaging is the most important thing for soundstage IMO.post #80 of 8612/16/11 at 11:01am
Ah ok thanks for the info. So the omega and omega2 both sound more technical. So they sound similar but more transparent than the lcds. Im assuming thats with proper amping? But for the price the lcds are a steal than...hmmmpost #81 of 8612/16/11 at 2:28pmQuote:
Yes the Omega 2s are know perform drastically better when amped well. The LCD 2 is a bargain by comparison. The LCD 2 resemble certain aspects of electrostatic sound. I dont think there is anywhere near a unanimous opinion on whether the LCD 2 is bested by the SR007. It's certainly not obvious to many who have spent a lot of time with both properly amped.
FYI: the SR007 mk1 & mk2 are both known as the Omega 2. The Omega headphone without the designation of #2 refers to an earlier, rarer, and generally perceived better headphone than the Omega 2.post #82 of 8612/17/11 at 4:09amQuote:
Are you assuming you will prefer the LCD3 over the rev 2? There seems to be a divergence of opinion as to whether it's a real improvement.
(I have neither, only the rev 1)post #83 of 8612/17/11 at 9:05ampost #84 of 8612/17/11 at 9:16am
If it's not an improvement, Audez'e may be in trouble.
I have a feeling it is a noticeable improvement though
Also, just for conversation
The SR009 is to me, an extraordinary improvement over both editions of the SR007 (Omega 2)post #85 of 8612/17/11 at 9:51amQuote:
Tyll's measurement suite made the the the 2 and 3 look almost identical but purrin's CSDs shows where the extra cash for the 3 goes...post #86 of 8612/17/11 at 5:16pmQuote:
Well, I didn't get their names and addresses, but there have been a few posts where people have stated a preference for the 2 over the 3.
- My comparison review of Stax Omega 2 mk2, LCD-2, HD650, and M50
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
- › DX200 Details, features and specifications 1st page. 1-17-2017 Now... 7 seconds ago
- › Sennheiser Momentum 2.0 and Wireless! 1 minute ago
- › Watches - another passion of ours, it seems...post your pics! 1 minute ago
- › Forza AudioWorks Impressions Thread 1 minute ago
- › Chinese / Asian Brand Info Thread (Portable Headphones and IEMs) 1 minute ago
- › Sony h.ear on MDR-100AAP - $199 'Hi-Res Audio' Over-Ear Headphones 1 minute ago
- › Fostex TH900 Impressions & Discussion Thread 2 minutes ago
- › Hifiman he-400i Impressions and Discussion 2 minutes ago
- › Seiun player, $150 player with monster spec. Too good to be true? 3 minutes ago
- › Earbuds Round-Up 3 minutes ago
- › SHOZY Zero IEM by mgunin
- › Empire Ears Zeus by EagleWings
- › Sennheiser HD 600 by snapacap
- › Schiit Modi by Tim Updegrove
- › Venture Electronics (VE) Monk+/Monk Plus by spronkey
- › Cayin i5 by glassmonkey
- › iFi Audio micro iDSD by 00lunar
- › 64 Audio U12 Universal In-Ear Monitor by cleg
- › qdc Balanced armature type (BA type) 3SH （QDC-4024） by prismstorm
- › Sangdo Headset Mic for Sony MH EX300AP L36H L36I C6603 LT26II LT28H... by Griffith
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Travel Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (CanJams)
- › FiiO X3II DAP firmwares with custom themes
- › Flawless Album Suggestions
- › The Audiophile Scene in a Third World Country...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide:...
- › Chord Mojo FAQ
- › Head-Fi Logo Gear