Right now I may prefer the LCD-2 Rev 1 (its the one I have) over the Omega 2 MK2, but not over the MK1. I can't certify this without some back to back tests. The soundstage on the Omega 2 (both versions) is better
- productAudeze LCD2 Planar Magnetic Headphonestagged by System, 10/25/10
- productAudio-Technica ATH-M50Stagged by System, 10/25/10
- productSennheiser HD 650 Headphonestagged by System, 10/25/10
- productStax SR-007 "Omega II" Open-Back Electrostatic Earspeakertagged by System, 10/25/10
Related Forum Threads
- Love my HD600's, would a HE-400 be a sideways upgrade? Do I need to move to HE-500? Last post on 9/1/12 at 11:21pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Best closed headphone under 300 dollars Last post on 8/14/12 at 6:42am in Headphones (full-size)
- LCD-2 sound, less weight? Last post on 3/5/12 at 10:29am in Headphones (full-size)
- Lets make the HD650 sound like the LCD-2? Last post on 1/4/14 at 3:37am in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- DAC/AMP for HD650 and ATH-M50? Last post on 12/10/13 at 12:07pm in Introductions, Help and Recommendations
2013 Head-Fi Summer Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
Last edited: 8/19/13
- 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)Last edited: 2/5/14
- 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Ultra-High-End Headphones (Summit-Fi))Last edited: 12/20/13
- 2013 Head-Fi Summer Buying Guide (Ultra-High-End Headphones...Last edited: 8/2/13
- 2012 Head-Fi Holiday Gift Guide (Over-Ear)Last edited: 5/13/13
When I bought these headphones about 2 months ago, I didn't expect much and I bought them without trying them out. It was an impulse buy to be honest, they were on a considerable discount and I...
I have had these now for a few months. I heard they had a very bass orientated sound but not so much that it ruins everything else. When i first purchased these i was a bit confused as to why they...
I bought a pair of HM5s about 6 months ago. They give you absolutely great sound for under $150 but I ran into a big problem. Both sides where the slider connects to the headphones started to...
First a bit of background on my experiences with headphone amps. I have tried the Fiio E17, Objective 2, the 2.3W amp built into my laptop, my Yamaha receiver's headphone out and a cheap $40...
I bought these cans 2 years ago and sold them to get the ATH-M50, which then lead me into the audio world. Overall these are good portable headphones with great build quality. The sound, however,...
My comparison review of Stax Omega 2 mk2, LCD-2, HD650, and M50 - Page 6post #76 of 8612/15/11 at 4:27pm
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #77 of 8612/15/11 at 5:57pm
Would that be the only thing that trumps the LCD's?Quote:post #78 of 8612/16/11 at 5:31am
Are you referring to soundstage as being the only aspect about the Omegas that trumps the LCD2? Or are you referring to the Omega 2 as being the only headphone to trump the LCD2?
For both answers, I say no.
The soundstage is not too far apart from one another. The LCD 2 are beautiful sounding, but the Omega 2 sounds more technically perfect. The notes sound as thougj they decay faster and allow for more detail to be retrieved. The tonal balance of the MK2 is not as transparent as the Mk1 due to a bump in the bass primarily. From the perspective of tonality, I favor the LCD2 over the Omega 2, but I would say that both Omega 2s are more transparent.
Regarding the second question, there are definitely a few headphones I favor over the LCD2 but certainly not for the price. Again, I have only heard the Rev 1 version. I am doubtful that I will be purchasing the rev 2 as the LCD3 is now available.post #79 of 8612/16/11 at 10:32am
that sounds about right. I think the Omega might not have much more soundstage size, but it feels more spacious because of the lighter, airier sound and better imaging. Imaging is the most important thing for soundstage IMO.post #80 of 8612/16/11 at 11:01am
Ah ok thanks for the info. So the omega and omega2 both sound more technical. So they sound similar but more transparent than the lcds. Im assuming thats with proper amping? But for the price the lcds are a steal than...hmmmpost #81 of 8612/16/11 at 2:28pmQuote:
Yes the Omega 2s are know perform drastically better when amped well. The LCD 2 is a bargain by comparison. The LCD 2 resemble certain aspects of electrostatic sound. I dont think there is anywhere near a unanimous opinion on whether the LCD 2 is bested by the SR007. It's certainly not obvious to many who have spent a lot of time with both properly amped.
FYI: the SR007 mk1 & mk2 are both known as the Omega 2. The Omega headphone without the designation of #2 refers to an earlier, rarer, and generally perceived better headphone than the Omega 2.post #82 of 8612/17/11 at 4:09amQuote:
Are you assuming you will prefer the LCD3 over the rev 2? There seems to be a divergence of opinion as to whether it's a real improvement.
(I have neither, only the rev 1)post #83 of 8612/17/11 at 9:05ampost #84 of 8612/17/11 at 9:16am
If it's not an improvement, Audez'e may be in trouble.
I have a feeling it is a noticeable improvement though
Also, just for conversation
The SR009 is to me, an extraordinary improvement over both editions of the SR007 (Omega 2)post #85 of 8612/17/11 at 9:51amQuote:
Tyll's measurement suite made the the the 2 and 3 look almost identical but purrin's CSDs shows where the extra cash for the 3 goes...post #86 of 8612/17/11 at 5:16pmQuote:
Well, I didn't get their names and addresses, but there have been a few posts where people have stated a preference for the 2 over the 3.
- My comparison review of Stax Omega 2 mk2, LCD-2, HD650, and M50
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Official 8th Annual ChiUniFi - June 21, 2014 20 seconds ago
- › Sony NWZ-ZX1 - 35th Walkman Anniversary model 33 seconds ago
- › 「Official」Asian Anime, Manga, and Music Lounge 1 minute ago
- › Orthodynamic Roundup 1 minute ago
- › Grado RS1i Appreciation thread 2 minutes ago
- › **Hifiman HE-400 Impressions and Discussion Thread** 2 minutes ago
- › Schiit Lyr Tube Rollers 2 minutes ago
- › ROCK-HARD CANADIAN MAPLE HEADPHONES 2 minutes ago
- › iBasso DX90. Dual Sabre *ES9018K2M*, New amp section. Review 1st... 2 minutes ago
- › Official 2014 LA Head-Fi Meet, August 9, 2014, Marriott Warner Center 2 minutes ago
- › Denon AH-D600 by derbigpr
- › AUDIO TECHNICA ATH PRO700 mk2 by Morph91
- › BRAINWAVZ HM5 Studio Monitor Headphones by JamesSitter
- › Burson Audio - The Conductor - Reference Class DAC / Headphone Amp... by ag8908
- › SOL Republic Tracks HD by xkonfuzed
- › Sennheiser MOMENTUM On-Ear Headphone by TripBitShooter
- › Sennheiser PX 360 Collapsible Wired Headphone with Clear Natural... by TripBitShooter
- › Westone 4R with Removable Cables by squallkiercosa
- › Shure SE215 by squallkiercosa
- › Ultimate Ears Triple.fi 10 Pro Earphones Gun Metal Blue with Roadie... by squallkiercosa
- › Westone latest universal iem flagship was the... by majedelamine
- › How to find the Tokyo e-earphone shop by Currawong
- › The Best BASS Headphones ( a Head-Fi Wiki) by Hawaiibadboy
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (In-Ear... by joe
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Over-Ear... by jude
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Over-Ear... by joe
- › Adjusting bias on Stax tube amplifiers by ardilla
- › Headphone Power Calculator Spreadsheet by robrob
- › Headphone-to-Speaker-Amp Interface With... by robrob
- › Headphone Resistor Network Calculator by robrob