Right now I may prefer the LCD-2 Rev 1 (its the one I have) over the Omega 2 MK2, but not over the MK1. I can't certify this without some back to back tests. The soundstage on the Omega 2 (both versions) is better
- productAudeze LCD2 Planar Magnetic Headphonestagged by System, 10/25/10
- productAudio-Technica ATH-M50Stagged by System, 10/25/10
- productSennheiser HD 650 Headphonestagged by System, 10/25/10
- productStax SR-007 "Omega II" Open-Back Electrostatic Earspeakertagged by System, 10/25/10
Related Forum Threads
- Love my HD600's, would a HE-400 be a sideways upgrade? Do I need to move to HE-500? Last post on 9/1/12 at 11:21pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Best closed headphone under 300 dollars Last post on 8/14/12 at 6:42am in Headphones (full-size)
- LCD-2 sound, less weight? Last post on 3/5/12 at 10:29am in Headphones (full-size)
- Are the Sennheiser HD650's worth another $100? Last post on 9/23/14 at 9:59pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Lets make the HD650 sound like the LCD-2? Last post on 1/4/14 at 3:37am in Headphone Amps (full-size)
Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
Last edited: 12/5/14
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Ultra-High-End Headphones (Summit-Fi))Last edited: 12/8/14
- Comparisons of LCD-2 Rev. 1 and Rev. 2Last edited: 9/19/11
Level: Amateur Mostly Experience: First Personal Pair We can all agree it's been reviewed too much? Good. My turn please... I'm aware of the reputation these carry, how audio should sound...
I wrote this on Amazon, thought I'd share it with you all. Please, ask questions. Audio Technica has crafted a pair of headphones that might make you second guess your pair of MX50s, or any...
I realize it is a bit of apples vs oranges, but I will compare these to the Sennheiser HD 600 sound, since I sometimes use those to mix recordings with, and many know their sound. Assuming good...
My Amazon Review: I've owned many pieces of high end home audio over the years. Brands like Dali, Audio Research, Krell, Melos, and others. I expect a lot from my gear. In this case, one of the...
About me: I am not an audiology, sound expert or anything professional about audio of short. I am simply just a consumer with a lot of love for musics for years....I purchased this pair, and Would...
My comparison review of Stax Omega 2 mk2, LCD-2, HD650, and M50 - Page 6post #76 of 8612/15/11 at 4:27pm
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #77 of 8612/15/11 at 5:57pm
Would that be the only thing that trumps the LCD's?Quote:post #78 of 8612/16/11 at 5:31am
Are you referring to soundstage as being the only aspect about the Omegas that trumps the LCD2? Or are you referring to the Omega 2 as being the only headphone to trump the LCD2?
For both answers, I say no.
The soundstage is not too far apart from one another. The LCD 2 are beautiful sounding, but the Omega 2 sounds more technically perfect. The notes sound as thougj they decay faster and allow for more detail to be retrieved. The tonal balance of the MK2 is not as transparent as the Mk1 due to a bump in the bass primarily. From the perspective of tonality, I favor the LCD2 over the Omega 2, but I would say that both Omega 2s are more transparent.
Regarding the second question, there are definitely a few headphones I favor over the LCD2 but certainly not for the price. Again, I have only heard the Rev 1 version. I am doubtful that I will be purchasing the rev 2 as the LCD3 is now available.post #79 of 8612/16/11 at 10:32am
that sounds about right. I think the Omega might not have much more soundstage size, but it feels more spacious because of the lighter, airier sound and better imaging. Imaging is the most important thing for soundstage IMO.post #80 of 8612/16/11 at 11:01am
Ah ok thanks for the info. So the omega and omega2 both sound more technical. So they sound similar but more transparent than the lcds. Im assuming thats with proper amping? But for the price the lcds are a steal than...hmmmpost #81 of 8612/16/11 at 2:28pmQuote:
Yes the Omega 2s are know perform drastically better when amped well. The LCD 2 is a bargain by comparison. The LCD 2 resemble certain aspects of electrostatic sound. I dont think there is anywhere near a unanimous opinion on whether the LCD 2 is bested by the SR007. It's certainly not obvious to many who have spent a lot of time with both properly amped.
FYI: the SR007 mk1 & mk2 are both known as the Omega 2. The Omega headphone without the designation of #2 refers to an earlier, rarer, and generally perceived better headphone than the Omega 2.post #82 of 8612/17/11 at 4:09amQuote:
Are you assuming you will prefer the LCD3 over the rev 2? There seems to be a divergence of opinion as to whether it's a real improvement.
(I have neither, only the rev 1)post #83 of 8612/17/11 at 9:05ampost #84 of 8612/17/11 at 9:16am
If it's not an improvement, Audez'e may be in trouble.
I have a feeling it is a noticeable improvement though
Also, just for conversation
The SR009 is to me, an extraordinary improvement over both editions of the SR007 (Omega 2)post #85 of 8612/17/11 at 9:51amQuote:
Tyll's measurement suite made the the the 2 and 3 look almost identical but purrin's CSDs shows where the extra cash for the 3 goes...post #86 of 8612/17/11 at 5:16pmQuote:
Well, I didn't get their names and addresses, but there have been a few posts where people have stated a preference for the 2 over the 3.
- My comparison review of Stax Omega 2 mk2, LCD-2, HD650, and M50
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Ultra-High-End Headphones (Summit-Fi))
- › The FiiO X3 2nd gen (ex X3K, X3II) Thread : 192K/24B,... 39 seconds ago
- › Fostex TH900 Impressions & Discussion Thread 39 seconds ago
- › Geek Pulse: Geek desktop DAC/AMP by Light Harmonics 48 seconds ago
- › Roll call: Indians staying in India, interested in high end... 54 seconds ago
- › Music Game IX 1 minute ago
- › HD650s like new with all original packaging 1 minute ago
- › Moon Nēo 430HA Reference Headphone Amplifier 2 minutes ago
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (2/17/2015: X2 -partial-,... 2 minutes ago
- › 「Official」Asian Anime, Manga, and Music Lounge 2 minutes ago
- › JH Audio Layla and Angie - Head-Fi TV 2 minutes ago
- › Audio-Technica ATH-M50S by ahnvx
- › AUDIO TECHNICA ATH-MSR7 by LonghornTech
- › Sennheiser HD 380 PRO Headphones by Zobel
- › PENDULUMIC STANCE S1+ Bluethooth Wireless Headphones by Deckardk
- › JVC KENWOOD In-Ear Headphones HA-FX750 by Whitigir
- › Schiit Lyr 2 by bpandbass
- › Cayin N6 PCM1792A chip DSD lossless music player by cleg
- › OSTRY KC06A Hi-Fi In-Ear High Performance Earphones Headphones by xsuper
- › JVC Kenwood Victer Stereo Headphones Ha-sz1000 by Hawaiibadboy
- › MEElectronics M9 Classic Hi-Fi Noise-Isolating In-Ear Headphones by pformagg
- › Can I change my user name? Can I delete my...
- › Table of Earphocalypse
- › The Great FiiO DAP FAQ Wiki
- › Audio Connections between components --...
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Introduction)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 2