New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Monitor-fi

post #1 of 92
Thread Starter 

Hi, i'm writing this 'cause I'd like to offer some advise on monitor-fi, more concretely in DELL monitors. I own a Dell u2311 I purchased after returning a u2711, only to discover they all share the same flaws. Dell is just such a crappy manufacturer... My u2311 is about 1 inch taller in one side than in the other, and I recently noticed sudden light flashes in the screen. I'm about to return it in order to purchase one from a serious manufacturer, such as NEC or EIZO... which is the second reason I write this, I'm sure many of you already own a Hi-Fi monitor and could give me some advise =P


Thanks!

post #2 of 92

What a coincidence. I just ordered an HP ZR30w after comparing it to the Dell U3011. When you talk about flaws, are you referring to the deathly slow input lag on the Dell ips monitors? There shouldn't be any light flashes at all. Could be you got unlucky with a defective unit. The reason I went with the HP ips isn't the fact that I work for them, but the fact that it's a solidly built unit that has gotten great reviews i.e. anandtech. What's the application use of the monitor in question?

 

You can find a lot of in depth information and discussions on ips monitors on hardforum if you're not on there already.


Edited by fenixdown110 - 10/24/10 at 2:24am
post #3 of 92
One inch taller one one side than the other, sounds like you don't know much about monitors. Light flashes don't happen on any monitor at all. Your post sounds like someone who bought a hd800 for his iPod and is unhappy that it doesn't fit and sounds crap for the price.
post #4 of 92
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trysaeder View Post

One inch taller one one side than the other, sounds like you don't know much about monitors. Light flashes don't happen on any monitor at all. Your post sounds like someone who bought a hd800 for his iPod and is unhappy that it doesn't fit and sounds crap for the price.


Well yes, maybe I was forgetting the fact that I need an AA degree in order to know wether I want my monitor to be horizontally straight or not. What a noobish complaint right? Just spent about $500 in a monitor, and here I'm b#tching about the lack of a minimal solid built.
 

However the funniest part comes when you claim that something that is actually happening to my monitor while I'm writing this just ''doesn't happen on any monitor at all,'' why? well, because you say so. I mean... wow.

 

and BTW, I use a pair of HD 25 1-II for my ipod.

post #5 of 92
Thread Starter 

Couple more things.

 

@fenixdown110

 

ty for the Hardforum recomm. Had forgot they had a ''display'' section.

 

The proper name of that ''flashing light'' issue is more likely ''tinting.'' Didn't know that word existed (English isn't my native lenguage), and it's been reported by more than one DELL owner. IMO don't think I've paid what I've paid for having tinting issues, so I'm going for either HP, EIZO or NEC.

 

Ty

post #6 of 92

So you're talking about the hard coating on the monitor screen surface. You're always going to hear complaints from people about it. It's something you'll just have to live with. Dim the environment you're in to reduce glare. Your dell screen should already be much better since it's a matte and not glossy screen.

post #7 of 92

Dell makes some of the best monitors out there... Their IPS line is very good, but for your standard TN panel you're better off going with asus or samsung imo, much cheaper and they look just as good. Also, there is no way the monitor is not rectangular, that's such an absurd accusation is ridiculous. Take a picture or take more time to measure properly. And Light flashes? LCDs don't flash, that's called glare. Close your blinds, any monitor will do that if you have sunlight shining on it. I've worked in IT for 3 years now, seen a lot of monitor issues, but never a "flashing" lcd...

 

I agree with the above hd800/ipod comment. You don't need an IPS panel, go to futureshop and buy an asus or samsung if you can't appreciate Dell. Or send it back and get a new one if you truly think it is 1 inch shorter on one side and it flashes... 

post #8 of 92

If you want a TN with decent color accuracy, I wouldn't go with a Samsung. If you want a wide color gamut TN, I would go with Viewsonic. If you want both of those qualities, then go with an IPS.

post #9 of 92
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by dirkpitt45 View Post

Dell makes some of the best monitors out there... Their IPS line is very good, but for your standard TN panel you're better off going with asus or samsung imo, much cheaper and they look just as good. Also, there is no way the monitor is not rectangular, that's such an absurd accusation is ridiculous. Take a picture or take more time to measure properly. And Light flashes? LCDs don't flash, that's called glare. Close your blinds, any monitor will do that if you have sunlight shining on it. I've worked in IT for 3 years now, seen a lot of monitor issues, but never a "flashing" lcd...

 

I agree with the above hd800/ipod comment. You don't need an IPS panel, go to futureshop and buy an asus or samsung if you can't appreciate Dell. Or send it back and get a new one if you truly think it is 1 inch shorter on one side and it flashes... 

 

I don't think I put it clear in the earlier posts. I'm obviously, let me repeat it, obviously not meaning that my monitor is freakin' not rectangular. What I mean is that due to the monitor's foot, or whatever you call the plastic thing that prevents the screen from falling and gives it stability, etc (for the 2nd time, english is not my native language) my monitor is closer to my table's surface from its right side. If i put a marble on top of the screen and let it move free, it would start moving to the right and finally falling. Its inclinated, like a slope! Does this make sense for you?

 

Again, what I called ''flashing'' in earlier posts is actually ''tinting'', I called it ''flashing'' because I didn't know ''tinting'' even existed as a word. And well, I just cannot afford a tinting monitor. I mean, call me noob or whatever. IMHO Don't think its justified by any means.

 

And man, do you really thing I couldn't tell the difference between a flash and a glare? Does my writing really make you think I'm some sort of retarded?


Edited by Odrackyir - 10/24/10 at 3:47pm
post #10 of 92
Quote:
Originally Posted by Odrackyir View Post


 Does my writing really make you think I'm some sort of retarded?



Yes.

post #11 of 92


Tinting only happens when your monitor is on, and someone messed with the RGB values. Brightness, or any whiteness, has nothing to do with tinting. The only reasonable explanation is glare.

 

If one side is taller than the other, you installed the monitor onto its stand wrong. Or you broke it while installing it incorrectly.

 

Dell consistently makes good, quality monitors. Not the best, but still of quality.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Odrackyir View Post

 Does my writing really make you think I'm some sort of retarded?


When you use adjectives in place of nouns, probably yes. Or when you talk about tinting like you know what it means.

post #12 of 92

At first I thought I was replying to a noob.

Now, I promised a female friend I would stop making fun of the mentally handicapped.

 

Still, I insist on the HD800 + iPod analogy. It's funny notable how you feel you have to say you don't use a HD800 with your ipod.

post #13 of 92
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trysaeder View Post

At first I thought I was replying to a noob.

Now, I promised a female friend I would stop making fun of the mentally handicapped.

 


 

U sure she wasn't your nurse, right? that would make more sense.

 

You know guys, I do really f#cking ignore what the specific encyclopedical meaning for tinting is. And I don't really feel ashamed for it, coz you know, I can swear you I'd definitely feel 100 times more ashamed if I had been b#llshiting somebody who's not native english speaker just for not having the writing skills you've acquired only, I repeat, only because you were born in an Anglo-Saxon country, which is something I'm afraid doesn't depend on your skills. I know, being able to b#tch everybody for not having  that skills you've had the real luck to keep developing since you were kids is the sh#t, right? Do you feel superior, IpodPJ? plz go for it, say ''yes,'' that would be really funny/pitiful and stuff. I mean, do you guys really think that your knowledge on monitors/audio/whatever gives you right to bullsh#t people? Even if they're noobs? You know, I've never, never, never, been so happy for being a noob in something.

 

@trysaeder <-- I think that was way too arrogant for a (yet another) freakish elven lore username user, which you know, makes me doubt you actually do have any female friend. If you think about it, it results even more funny than my ''I use HD 25 1 IIs.'' I'd definitely say It's funny notable how you feel you have to say you do have a female friend =D

 

let me put this clear: I have not messed with my rgb values, I have not done anything wrong installing the monitor in its stand, and I do have tinting/whatthemotherf#ckingever issues. However, all this is irrelevant right now since I'm about to return the monitor.

 

Thanks for the advise.

 

BTW if you feel tempted to make some fun of my username in return, just know Odrackyir is only the reverse of Ricardo with a couple more characters.


Edited by Odrackyir - 10/25/10 at 7:46am
post #14 of 92

CoolStoryBro.jpg

 

 

Just get yourself one of these and be done with it:

 

http://www.dell.com/us/en/dfo/peripherals/monitor-dell-u2410/pd.aspx?refid=monitor-dell-u2410&s=dfo

 

I have it and love it.


Edited by IPodPJ - 10/25/10 at 10:25am
post #15 of 92

Please ignore all the derogatory posts in this thread. This is absolutely pitiful. English is a very difficult language to master and quite honestly, Odrackyir, you're doing much better than some native English speakers I've met.

 

Back on topic. I've had an HP LP2475w H-IPS display for almost two years now and love it. I believe it's been replaced with a newer model- no idea how well that holds up. HP makes good monitors and printers- I wouldn't trust anything else under that brand. 


Edited by MCC - 10/25/10 at 11:17am
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home