Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › HD800's with software EQ - Sounds good man!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

HD800's with software EQ - Sounds good man! - Page 3

post #31 of 40

Thinking about buying a pair of HD800s despite the need for EQ (by "system matching" or by digital/analog EQ)...

 

Related to the discussion about the wrong vs not-wrong of digitally EQ:in your headphones and/or hifi-systems.

Let me ask a rhetorical question: Do you think the studios EQ their hifi grade recordings (in digital domain)?

post #32 of 40

I'm wary of EQ'ing such an expensive pair of headphones. If they aren't to your liking, why not try something else?

post #33 of 40

When you need to EQ a HD800, something along that sound chain is not working optimally.

It's not meant to be EQed. The way you want to hear how music is reproduced in it's original form.

 

Well, YMMV with your setup. You may fine-tune it further down the road.

post #34 of 40

Ok, I honestly haven't tried it in my chain yet (Benchmark DAC1 HDR), I'm just anticipating based on reviews/comments. The comments are usually very positive on resolution and imaging, but mention that they are light on base and have some tremble peaks.

I'm just thinking that if I don't like the exact frequency response but love the resolution/imaging, I'm probably not gonna treat it as a deal breaker as it's possible to EQ.

Of course, if other headphones for similar price have all the positive sides of the HD800 but not the potential negative frequency curve, then the choose is of course another headphone. :)

post #35 of 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saim View Post

Thinking about buying a pair of HD800s despite the need for EQ (by "system matching" or by digital/analog EQ)...

Related to the discussion about the wrong vs not-wrong of digitally EQ:in your headphones and/or hifi-systems.
Let me ask a rhetorical question: Do you think the studios EQ their hifi grade recordings (in digital domain)?
Of course studios use EQ. Digital or analog, it doesn't matter.
post #36 of 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saim View Post

Ok, I honestly haven't tried it in my chain yet (Benchmark DAC1 HDR), I'm just anticipating based on reviews/comments. The comments are usually very positive on resolution and imaging, but mention that they are light on base and have some tremble peaks.
I'm just thinking that if I don't like the exact frequency response but love the resolution/imaging, I'm probably not gonna treat it as a deal breaker as it's possible to EQ.
Of course, if other headphones for similar price have all the positive sides of the HD800 but not the potential negative frequency curve, then the choose is of course another headphone. smily_headphones1.gif

light on "bass", "treble" peaks
post #37 of 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by khaos974 View Post
 

So what do you think of big studios EQing their 50000 $ monitors? smily_headphones1.gif
 

I don't think they EQ the monitors but the recorded sound.    It took a few listening sessions to get used to the HD800 sound but they sound perfect to my ears,the bass..treble..soundstage..just everything!   I actually afraid that the bass will get bigger with burn in :)   and I own only SS amps.    


Edited by plonter - 2/24/15 at 10:00am
post #38 of 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by khaos974 View Post

So what do you think of big studios EQing their 50000 $ monitors? smily_headphones1.gif

 

They don't. EQ is used on the tracks themselves, monitors are meant to be completely neutral.
post #39 of 40
Most monitors are neutral but unfortunately most listening environments aren't , so studios do EQ thier monitors, and most monitors have built in EQ and calibration system nowadays. Having said that, I'd rather not need to EQ my headphones if I don't have to.
Quote:
Originally Posted by seanak View Post

They don't. EQ is used on the tracks themselves, monitors are meant to be completely neutral.
post #40 of 40
Bought the hd800s and loving them from first night. Using a small eq dip at 6khz and don't see any reason not to. It sounds better to me and I don't hear any other differences.
Im using the behringer deq2496 between my sonos and DAC1 HDR to do the eq.

BR,
Simon
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › HD800's with software EQ - Sounds good man!