Recent Images In This Thread
Related Forum Threads
- $2000 Setup. Help me complete it! Last post on 8/19/12 at 10:36am in Computer Audio
- <$600 AMP/DAC for the Sennheiser HD800's Last post on 12/5/12 at 11:59am in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- People using the Audio-gd NFB-10.2 Last post on 8/8/12 at 9:51am in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- Audio-GD NFB 12.1 driver prevents windows from sleep/shut down? Last post on 7/23/12 at 10:31am in Dedicated Source Components
- audio interface or DAC Last post on 7/11/12 at 10:46am in Dedicated Source Components
Head-Fi Buying Guide (Desktop Amps & DACs)
Last edited: 12/6/16
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Desktop Amps & DACs) 2Last edited: 12/16/16
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Portable Amps, DACs, & DAPs) (page 2)Last edited: 11/29/16
These are *fantastic* for the price. Compared side by side to some old Sennheiser MX500s, that cost at least 4x as much, the Monk+ absolutely wipes the floor - they are hugely superior. Warm...
Acknowledgment Thanks, @Andykong at Cayin, and @Takeanidea for organizing the UK wing of the worldwide extravaganza of i5 tour. It is always an honour to work with great companies and dear...
Introductory word They say that once you go black.... yeah. This is quite self-explanatory. And behold, black iFi Audio product emerged. I can only say - finally. Cheers to 'em English folks....
Company 64 Audio (former 1964 Ears) is a well-known maker of top-level multidriver IEMs. They are offering a big range of models, but the most attractive feature of their earphones is APEX...
In my self-imposed haughtiness and superiority, I have always told Alfred and Martin that I will be the high-end reviewer for this blog, and that they should be responsible for more budget...
Audio-gd NFB-10 - Page 4post #46 of 285310/26/10 at 5:11am
Head-Fi's Best Sellerspost #47 of 285310/26/10 at 6:35ampost #48 of 285310/26/10 at 6:55am
It will be nice if Kingwa can license Wavelength's USB firmware for asynchronous USB protocol and start using those TAS1020B USB receivers. That will give him a very serious edge in the competition as that's where the trend is going to be for the next couple of years.post #49 of 285310/26/10 at 1:38pm
That would indeed be awesome... It would be expensive though, as currently the cheapest solution that uses it is a cool 500 dollars. And it´s just a pretty cheap cable. Kingwa would combine expensive hardware with expensive software. Maybe for the next reference series or a DI on steroids? Personally I think it´s just a matter of time until some firm does an async USB receiver similar to the Tenor chip - similar as in mass produced and fairly cheap. USB audio is still such a new enterprise things will evolve at a fast speed.post #50 of 285310/26/10 at 2:42pmQuote:
Agreed, but I highly doubt he would go for it. He wants to discontinue the Ref-X series of DACs because the chips will cost more to buy. If he isn't willing to charge $200 or $300 more for a Ref-7 because of the DAC chips, the chances of him paying that kind of money to license software from Rankin for a USB interface are slim to none.
Remember, he didn't include HDCD in the DSP-1 module because he said it would cost tens of thousands of dollars. The amount of HDCD content out there is not overwhelming, so I understand that decision because it would have added a lot of money to the price of the DAC and there probably wasn't a big enough demand for it. But Asynchronous USB is something that the majority of people who use USB would love to have and would probably pay a nice premium for it.
Edited by IPodPJ - 10/26/10 at 2:49pmpost #51 of 285310/26/10 at 7:47pm
This all-in-one unit looks tempting but it is missing two features that I would like to see in an all-in-one unit: at least one set of selectable analog inputs such as on the FUN, and also a Remote for volume control such as on their P-2 Preamplifier. Maybe call it the FUNNER.post #52 of 285310/27/10 at 1:40amQuote:Originally Posted by runswithaliens
This all-in-one unit looks tempting but it is missing two features that I would like to see in an all-in-one unit: at least one set of selectable analog inputs such as on the FUN, and also a Remote for volume control such as on their P-2 Preamplifier. Maybe call it the FUNNER.
I agree with that! For the past few months I've been looking for an Audio-GD solution that provides me a DAC and Preamp and preferably with a remote for volume. The Kingwa told me that the P-2 has been discontinued. This means that all rc options will end up way beyond $1k.
The FUN comes closest to my functional specs. But I would love to take it one step further in terms of audio quality (something like a NFB-2 + P-2 or DSP-19 + P-2).
For now the NFB-10 seems to be all that, and perhaps even better in terms of sound quality. Only the remote and analog inputs are missing. The remote seems to be an easy add-on since the volume is already relay controlled.
Lets see how this sage develops......
post #53 of 285310/27/10 at 1:43am
There is one thing that intrigues me about the NFB-10: its relay based volume control in combination with balanced output. This is a killer combo when it comes to professional usage. It provides perfectly matched balance and it would allow exact reference levels to be used. Both critical items when it comes to a mastering setup.
This might even satisfy my dream to own a Cranesong Avocet one day!
Edited by middachten - 10/27/10 at 1:46ampost #54 of 285310/27/10 at 4:38pmpost #55 of 285310/27/10 at 8:51pmpost #56 of 285310/28/10 at 5:48am
A big thanks to the members for their individual consult via PMs in helping me decide on the NFB-10. I have been going back and forth, and back and forth again between the NFB-11 and NFB-10 and finally decided on the 10s. I know it's not the most accurate method, but after hearing how great my Denons sound balanced with other audio-gd gear, I just had to give it a shot. I joined this hobby and forum a few months ago, and the phrase is true, "welcome to headfi, sorry for your wallet"! Joking aside, because hifi audio is such an enthusiast niche market, headfi has been essential and a valuable resource in helping me make my purchasing decisions - I haven't regretted one purchase yet!
Just so this post isn't just about me and has some contribution....during my correspondence with kingwa, he mentioned that a dual WM8741 can be substituted for the Sabre32 with the NFB-10 design for those wanting a more musical flavor. I think this info was already alluded here by kingwa, but just wanted to share anyway.
Edited by BoyNamedSue - 10/28/10 at 5:52ampost #57 of 285310/28/10 at 1:15pm
I don´t think you´ll be disappointed with that decision. The NFB-11 and 10 are in different leagues, one is more like a super Sparrow (mini DAC for laptops and casual usage), the other is a real entry level high end headphone rig. The value, especially with the -10% off, is really off the charts. When it comes to balanced rigs, which are currently considered the "system to have", this is actually the first time such a rig can be purchased at an affordable price.post #58 of 285310/28/10 at 4:01pmQuote:
Audio-GD is expert in power supply isolation and it shouldn´t be a problem. Plus, the relay volume control may make it even easier. I´m not sure. I bet Kingwa can implement a remote control with no impact on performance and no major cost increment!post #59 of 285310/28/10 at 4:04pm
- Audio-gd NFB-10
Head-Fi's Best Sellers
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Desktop Amps & DACs) 2
- › WA22 let's roll some tubes (Done Mod, Burnning-in) 7 seconds ago
- › LZ-A4 Impressions and Discussion Thread 13 seconds ago
- › Empire Ears ADEL - Discussion & Impressions (Formerly EarWerkz) 41 seconds ago
- › What a long, strange trip it's been -- (Robert Hunter) 1 minute ago
- › What can I use to replace headphone's mesh? 2 minutes ago
- › Campfire Audio Vega (and Dorado and Lyra II) - Head-Fi TV 2 minutes ago
- › The Official Sony MDR-Z1R Flagship Headphone Thread (Live From IFA... 2 minutes ago
- › DX200 Details, features and specifications 1st page. 1-17-2017 Now... 3 minutes ago
- › Upcoming DAP from xDuoo - the X10! 6 minutes ago
- › What Are You Listening To Right Now? -New thread, new rules. Please... 6 minutes ago
- › Venture Electronics (VE) Monk+/Monk Plus by spronkey
- › Cayin i5 by glassmonkey
- › iFi Audio micro iDSD by 00lunar
- › 64 Audio U12 Universal In-Ear Monitor by cleg
- › qdc Balanced armature type (BA type) 3SH （QDC-4024） by prismstorm
- › Sangdo Headset Mic for Sony MH EX300AP L36H L36I C6603 LT26II LT28H... by Griffith
- › Denon AH-D600 by theminstrel
- › Sennheiser HD 598 by theminstrel
- › Burson Audio Cable+ by markbrauer
- › Audio-Technica ATH-M50x by theminstrel
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Travel Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (CanJams)
- › FiiO X3II DAP firmwares with custom themes
- › Flawless Album Suggestions
- › The Audiophile Scene in a Third World Country...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide:...
- › Chord Mojo FAQ
- › Head-Fi Logo Gear