Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Dedicated Source Components › Audio-gd NFB-10
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Audio-gd NFB-10 - Page 181

post #2701 of 2827
FWIW the NFB28 is actually $680+SHIPPING

When talking to kingwa his advice to me was also get the 10ES2 if I don't need the analog in. Despite the larger transformer I believe output power is the same, just a higher quality parts as with some of the caps etc. Regardless I like the new (which actually was the old design) casing more and opted for NFB28.

Btw wondering why I keep seeing people referring to $750 for the nfb28 while it is $680... still a $100 difference for not much more over 10SE2 but just to get facts straight.


Edited by kkcc - 9/23/13 at 9:43pm
post #2702 of 2827
Quote:
Originally Posted by kkcc View Post

FWIW the NFB28 is actually $680+SHIPPING

When talking to kingwa his advice to me was also get the 10ES2 if I don't need the analog in. Despite the larger transformer I believe output power is the same, just a higher quality parts as with some of the caps etc. Regardless I like the new (which actually was the old design) casing more and opted for NFB28.

Btw wondering why I keep seeing people referring to $750 for the nfb28 while it is $680... still a $100 difference for not much more over 10SE2 but just to get facts straight.

 

 

Tbh I think the NFB-28 is well worth the extra over the NFB-10. Having the extra input functionality is a pretty big win IMO. 

post #2703 of 2827
Quote:
Originally Posted by elwappo99 View Post
 

 

I don't think there is anyone who has the NFB-28 and HE-6? The NFB-28 is still really new. The NFB-10 is barely at the threshold for driving the HE-6. I'd say with maxed out volume and gain high quality recordings are definitely not loud enough. 

 

I don't know how much volume is too little for you guys, nfb28 with he6 with high gain at volume 50 is loud enough for me for long hours of listening.

 

My good old nfb10es + he6 is also good enough with high gain at 1 o'clock.   
post #2704 of 2827
Quote:
Originally Posted by sayh View Post

I don't know how much volume is too little for you guys, nfb28 with he6 with high gain at volume 50 is loud enough for me for long hours of listening.

My good old nfb10es + he6 is also good enough with high gain at 1 o'clock.   

Volume is only part of the equation. Actually with better amps/dac I can discern more details and enjoy the same tracks on a LOWER volume.

Having said that nfb10 or 28 are no brainer budget choices. I am comparing my nfb28 with a violectric v800/v200 stack at the moment and I really think for $680 the nfb28 is doing mighty fine. 10es2 would be even be a better value.

post #2705 of 2827
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mshenay View Post
 

Some good new for u guys, well good or bad

 

but I'm getting a 10ES2 my self, and I was wondering... "maybe I should have gotten the NFB 28] well after spending some time at the HE 6 thread... a good number of them feel the Nfb 28 and nfb 10es2 both do a great job of driving the he 6 BUT, there are other $500 amps that do a much better job

 

meaning, the extra power of the NFB 28 doesn't seem like enough for ME to warrant the upgrade. I'll stick with the 10ES2 and when I need more power, I'll snatch up one of the Master Series Amps and Dacs... that can shove 7w into 50... which I assume is the only "power" upgrade there is... till you get into his Speaker amps

 

so the nfb 28 at $750 vs Master 8 $1500 and Ref 5.32 Dac $900 so $2500 for an upgrade to the NFB 28 it seems... so yea I'll save $200 now and stick with the ES2, WHICH btw mine has hit America :D wonder when it will get to me ^^ 

 

That's the Reference 10.32, and I comes at $1850 :cool:

 

The natural upgrade for the NFB-28 is the NFB-27 (hum...). If you dig the 28's tuning, you should be at home with the 27. In all cases, I HIGHLY recommend it :beerchug:

post #2706 of 2827

Yup definately, 10ES2 is superb value.. the $100 difference to the NFB-28 allows 2x TCXO upgrades and even covers EMS shipping.

 

Still seems to be taking time, but I think once the old chassis line up fades out, there's not going to be an ES9018 balanced DAC/amp from GD under $600.  Atleast for a while - we just never know when Kingwa comes up with new products with even better value.

 

After a month or so of listening, I think my journey in desktop mid-fi is over for now.  10ES2 XLR to Violectric V181 to T1.  Fully balanced but reasonably priced ES9018 rig.

post #2707 of 2827
Quote:
Originally Posted by zenki14 View Post
 

Yup definately, 10ES2 is superb value.. the $100 difference to the NFB-28 allows 2x TCXO upgrades and even covers EMS shipping.

 

Still seems to be taking time, but I think once the old chassis line up fades out, there's not going to be an ES9018 balanced DAC/amp from GD under $600.  Atleast for a while - we just never know when Kingwa comes up with new products with even better value.

 

After a month or so of listening, I think my journey in desktop mid-fi is over for now.  10ES2 XLR to Violectric V181 to T1.  Fully balanced but reasonably priced ES9018 rig.

Any impressions for the differences between 10ES2 internal amp and V181 ?

post #2708 of 2827
Quote:
Originally Posted by i019791 View Post
 

Any impressions for the differences between 10ES2 internal amp and V181 ?

 

I would also appreciate any impressions. Considering a future route with either the 10ES2 and V181, but the feedback I've read suggests that the 10ES2 is better as a DAC compared to a headphone amp.

post #2709 of 2827
Quote:
Originally Posted by i019791 View Post
 

Any impressions for the differences between 10ES2 internal amp and V181 ?

 

When the 10ES2 arrived I posted brief impressions between the two, and my opinion remains the same.  The 10ES2 amp section sounds slightly congested or "packed" in mids to high mids compared to the V181.  However not to a degree that it matters so much.  Like you won't notice until you compare it to something good.

 

The extension of treble and bass are similar (the V181 has slightly more bass impact), so the 10ES2 amp section is still definately good as a combo unit.

post #2710 of 2827
Quote:
Originally Posted by daerron View Post

I would also appreciate any impressions. Considering a future route with either the 10ES2 and V181, but the feedback I've read suggests that the 10ES2 is better as a DAC compared to a headphone amp.

Been comparing the nfb28 with the v200/v800 stacks all day today.

Would suggest if picking the violectric, better pair it with their own amp/dac. Either the v200/v181 with the v800 to get the most out of it.

Very quick ranking of my personal preference of different combinations with my LCD3 (with stock single end cable to make it fair):

1) V200+V800
2) NFB28
3) V800 balanced out to NFB28 as amp
4) NFB28 as dac balanced out to V200

YMMV
post #2711 of 2827

Thanks a lot for the comparisons, the feedback is much appreciated! 

post #2712 of 2827
Quote:
Originally Posted by zenki14 View Post
 

Yup definately, 10ES2 is superb value.. the $100 difference to the NFB-28 allows 2x TCXO upgrades and even covers EMS shipping.

 

Still seems to be taking time, but I think once the old chassis line up fades out, there's not going to be an ES9018 balanced DAC/amp from GD under $600.  Atleast for a while - we just never know when Kingwa comes up with new products with even better value.

 

After a month or so of listening, I think my journey in desktop mid-fi is over for now.  10ES2 XLR to Violectric V181 to T1.  Fully balanced but reasonably priced ES9018 rig.

 

Yea and I did not need the extra inputs, I actually opted to get 2 RCA outs and the one XLR out. The question now is what will I drive SE... planning on pairing a LD MKVI+ with the 10ES2 dac in the future so... not sure if I would use the rca outs <.< Oh I'll use them to compare SE to SE with my M Stage :3

post #2713 of 2827
Quote:
Originally Posted by kkcc View Post


Been comparing the nfb28 with the v200/v800 stacks all day today.

Would suggest if picking the violectric, better pair it with their own amp/dac. Either the v200/v181 with the v800 to get the most out of it.

Very quick ranking of my personal preference of different combinations with my LCD3 (with stock single end cable to make it fair):

1) V200+V800
2) NFB28
3) V800 balanced out to NFB28 as amp
4) NFB28 as dac balanced out to V200

YMMV

I would consider that using the cans balanced where possible is perfectly fair. The way you tested seems to me as giving an unfair advantage to the V200.

Is it possible to by pass the internal wiring of NFB-28 and use interconnects between its dac & amp ? If yes, where does this (slightly absurd) "combo" stands relative to the others ?

post #2714 of 2827
Quote:
Originally Posted by i019791 View Post
 

I would consider that using the cans balanced where possible is perfectly fair. The way you tested seems to me as giving an unfair advantage to the V200.

Is it possible to by pass the internal wiring of NFB-28 and use interconnects between its dac & amp ? If yes, where does this (slightly absurd) "combo" stands relative to the others ?

 

is the V200 actually balanced? I did not see an actual Balanced Headphone out... only a Single End out 

post #2715 of 2827
Quote:
Originally Posted by i019791 View Post
 

I would consider that using the cans balanced where possible is perfectly fair. The way you tested seems to me as giving an unfair advantage to the V200.

Is it possible to by pass the internal wiring of NFB-28 and use interconnects between its dac & amp ? If yes, where does this (slightly absurd) "combo" stands relative to the others ?

 

The only reason I opted for the stock SE cable is because I don't have the same SE version of my balanced cables.... in any case, these two combos are really cut from the same cloth and any "difference" I can discern is actually not huge.  

 
And no, don't see any easy way to use IC between the internal dac/amp sections.  FWIW the pair of XLR IC used actually cost more than the NFB-28....
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Dedicated Source Components
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Dedicated Source Components › Audio-gd NFB-10