Underwhelmed in what way?
Recent Images In This Thread
Related Forum Threads
- $2000 Setup. Help me complete it! Last post on 8/19/12 at 10:36am in Computer Audio
- <$600 AMP/DAC for the Sennheiser HD800's Last post on 12/5/12 at 11:59am in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- People using the Audio-gd NFB-10.2 Last post on 8/8/12 at 9:51am in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- Audio-GD NFB 12.1 driver prevents windows from sleep/shut down? Last post on 7/23/12 at 10:31am in Dedicated Source Components
- audio interface or DAC Last post on 7/11/12 at 10:46am in Dedicated Source Components
Head-Fi Buying Guide (Desktop Amps & DACs)
Last edited: Yesterday
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Desktop Amps & DACs) 2Last edited: Yesterday
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Portable Amps, DACs, & DAPs) (page 2)Last edited: 11/29/16
Even at their current $89 price, I consider the Klipsch R6s an excellent value. They are fundamentally honest about what you put into them. Although they reveal a great deal about each recording,...
With my head laid back, eyes closed, and feet tapping to the beat, I can’t help but be thankful for some of the audio equipment that I have. Thankfully, Justin Weber, owner of Ampsandsound,...
Acknowledgment It’s always a privilege to check out new gear in exchange for your honest opinion. Thanks, iFi, for letting me in on this particular party. I’ve been borrowing this unit...
Introduction I have recently had the good fortune to review 1More’s excellent Triple Driver 1001 In Ear Monitors and their MK802 Bluetooth full-sized headphone and was left extremely impressed...
As the rabbit hole of summit-fi in-ear monitors gets deeper and deeper, I find myself encountering the same issues over and over. Most of the high end multiple armature driver in-ear monitors in...
Audio-gd NFB-10 - Page 168post #2506 of 28533/18/13 at 4:53am
Head-Fi's Best Sellerspost #2507 of 28533/18/13 at 6:01amQuote:
My laptop leaves me only with the usb option.
The filters do not change the sound enough for me to bother. I have settled on leaving it at "2X oversampling , Linear phase 'brickwall' filter" just for the convenience of handling all bit rates.
I use it on high gain, having no particularly sensitive phones. But I am aware I prefer to hear louder than most in my acquaintance. Depending on your phones, whether you use it SE or balanced and your usual loudness level you can experiment a little to find a combination of gain/volume suitable to you.
All volume settings at Windows should be at max, volume control is preferable through the amp only.
In combination with HE500, it was too bright for me balanced and I used it SE. No real clue about your HE400.post #2508 of 28533/23/13 at 6:55ampost #2509 of 28533/23/13 at 7:17amQuote:
The unit is balanced (type of design aiming to reduce distortion) and has 2 headphone outputs:
1. A balanced one, usable if your headphone cable is terminated to 4 pin xlr (I understand that you have not tried it)
2. A usual single end (SE) one (6,3 mm)
The balanced output provides a clearer and much louder (for the same volume setting) soundpost #2510 of 28533/23/13 at 8:02pmpost #2511 of 28533/24/13 at 11:21amQuote:
You've spent enough for the unit so if you like it I'd get your cans a balanced cable. If it's anything like the LD MKVII+ there's a dramatic difference in SQ vs the SE output. Maybe it's a different design though because (much to my amazement) i019791 just posted he didn't like the sound of the balanced output.
Why anyone would pay a premium for a balanced amp and only use the SE output is beyond me, but to each their own.
After reading a good part of this thread I'm happy I lost the upgrade bug. I've been using a Matrix Mini-i and the LD MK-VII+ for ages and have never heard static or clicks regardless of the source/input/resolution used. I just can't afford the cost of (questionable) diminishing returns on new, higher priced gear. I have heard set-ups costing much more than mine that I didn't think sounded much better (if any).
Maybe someday I'll hear something that will convince me to spend more. For now I'm just enjoying the music while I look for a good USB/SP-DIF converter to cover the 88.2/176.4 native resolutions missing from Windows.
To be honest, I bought a like new Silver Poison 4-pin cable from the FS forum recently which significantly improved the SQ from my HD650s. I guess I haven't completely lost the upgrade bugpost #2512 of 28533/25/13 at 8:30amQuote:
I did not like the Audio-gd NFB-10SE with the HE500 balanced, because I was annoyed by glare & sibilance. SE the sound was less detailed but the treble was ok for me.
With the Audio-gd NFB-10SE the Sennheiser HD650 was much better balanced than SE for me.post #2513 of 28534/4/13 at 2:29ampost #2514 of 28534/7/13 at 5:44pmQuote:
I concur. My HD 650s really sound fantastic balanced on the NFB-10 and is a definite improvement over SE. Unfortunately, I've not tried another set of balance headphones with it. I'm currently using with USB-32.
It might be my imagination, but some of the sibilance may have been tamed after upgrading the USB to USB-32. I am mostly speaking about the RCA line-out for listening with speakers as it's pretty hard to make the HD 650s sound too sibilant. Before USB-32, I definitely found some treble a bit much with my speaker setup. Now, this seems to have improved at least somewhat, but I have not done any A/B testing recently (which I would do using the Digital Interface Version 1 through COAX on the NFB-10 versus the USB-32 on the NFB-10).post #2515 of 28534/8/13 at 12:19ampost #2516 of 28534/8/13 at 12:22am
You can easily take the stock cable and reterminate it into a balanced cable. Voila!post #2517 of 28534/8/13 at 11:35pm
Bought a used one of these today for use with my HE500's
Can't wait to try it out :D
I've been using the following setup: Music Bee >WASAPI > optical out > HP-A3 Will using the same chain provide best results over USB? I have been given the USB-32 chip to solder in, but if optical will provide as good/better results I may not bother opening the unit up straight away.
Edited by Jesterphile - 4/8/13 at 11:39pmpost #2518 of 28534/9/13 at 9:55ampost #2519 of 28534/9/13 at 2:51pmpost #2520 of 28534/9/13 at 3:10pmQuote:
Thanks - I might have to install the USB32 module then.
Does anybody know where I can find the documentation outlining the install? I had a look on the Audio-GD Website but could not locate it. I've also sent Kingwa an email - but I'm excited to get new stuff and I want to check it out as soon as I can
Didn't realise there was more to the page when I was browsing on my phone...
Edited by Jesterphile - 4/9/13 at 10:32pm
- Audio-gd NFB-10
Head-Fi's Best Sellers
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Desktop Amps & DACs) 2
- › Three Word Story 38 seconds ago
- › Sound card upgrade or bad driver? (Sennheiser PC 350... 39 seconds ago
- › TRINITY - PHANTOM Series - New thread + WORLDS FIRST PUSH PULL... 45 seconds ago
- › Empire Ears ADEL - Discussion & Impressions (Formerly EarWerkz) 1 minute ago
- › Post Your Photography Here #2 2 minutes ago
- › The Deals DISCUSSION Thread (READ THE FIRST POST!!!) 3 minutes ago
- › Brand Spanking New A&K AK120II and AK100II 5 minutes ago
- › The Official Sony MDR-Z1R Flagship Headphone Thread (Live From IFA... 6 minutes ago
- › Grace Design x Massdrop m9XX DAC/Amp Review: First Impressions 6 minutes ago
- › Fostex TH900 Impressions & Discussion Thread 6 minutes ago
- › Klipsch R6m Black In Ear Headphone by 1mctous
- › ampsandsound Kenzie Headphone Amplifier by Smazz
- › iFi Audio micro iDSD Black Label by glassmonkey
- › 1MORE iBFree Bluetooth In-Ear Headphones by Peddler
- › iFi Audio iEMatch Headphone Travel Accessory by Hisoundfi
- › Soundaware Esther by ambchang
- › ZMF Headphones Eikon by Hisoundfi
- › HiFiMAN Edition S by Aornic
- › Accutone Taurus by mark2410
- › Remax RM 305M Aluminum Earbud by Redcarmoose
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Travel Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (CanJams)
- › FiiO X3II DAP firmwares with custom themes
- › Flawless Album Suggestions
- › The Audiophile Scene in a Third World Country...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide:...
- › Chord Mojo FAQ
- › Head-Fi Logo Gear