Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Source Gear › Best sounding smallest player?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Best sounding smallest player?

post #1 of 35
Thread Starter 

I really need a tiny MP3 player I can use in the gym. I'd like something with the best possible sound, keeping in mind that I wasn't happy with the iPod Nano (kinda harsh, bright, lacking sub bass).

 

Something like a clip on, or can use an in-line remote would be great, but not absolutely necessary, as long as it's small.

 

Any recommendations?

post #2 of 35

Sansa Clip

post #3 of 35

Clip+ 

 

post #4 of 35
Thread Starter 

A bit of web searching, Sansa Clip seems to be the popular choice.

 

So.... Sansa Clip it is!

 

I like the one with the glowing blue ring more, so I'm going to skip the + version. Anyone know if the Sansa Clip (not + version) has an SD card slot for expansion?

post #5 of 35

Nope , only the + has the sd slot along with the fuze.

post #6 of 35

Clip+ hands down.

post #7 of 35

everybody is going to say the clip

post #8 of 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by heynice View Post

everybody is going to say the clip



Me too.  Clip/Clip+ with Rockbox.

post #9 of 35

I'm going to throw the iPod shuffle (current gen) in here. It is fabulous, of course it has no screen.

post #10 of 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by shigzeo View Post

I'm going to throw the iPod shuffle (current gen) in here. It is fabulous, of course it has no screen.



As much as I hate Apple now, I have to agree.  It really is a nice DAP.

post #11 of 35

For those that say the shuffle of even current Nano.  Other than iTunes (yuck), what would be the advantage over the Clip+?  Anyone have impressions of shuffle or nano via LO vs the Clip+? 

post #12 of 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anaxilus View Post

For those that say the shuffle of even current Nano.  Other than iTunes (yuck), what would be the advantage over the Clip+?  Anyone have impressions of shuffle or nano via LO vs the Clip+? 



I do think that the new shuffle has a really cool UI.  Plus I'm an album art freak, so a full color screen is also cool.

 

That being said, I value the tweak-ability of the Rockbox OS more than the color screen and closed Apple system.

 

Frankly I think iTunes sucks.  I converted to MediaMonkey which also can sync my wife's iPod Touch and it's a much better media storage program.

post #13 of 35
Thread Starter 

Picked up a Clip+ to audition, figuring it'd have the same sound as the Clip.

 

It's a keeper. Has the sound I'm looking for, and the size is perfect, and it has a 'clip', so it's perfect.  I've gone ahead and ordered a silver 4GB Clip on eBay for $46 shipped, which seems like a good deal to me. When I receive that, I'll return this Clip+ to Future Shop.

 

Thanks for the recommendation guys!! smily_headphones1.gif

 

On a somewhat related note, I've tried it with a few different earphones, and the ADDIEMs are the hardest to drive, pretty strange. I have to turn the volume up quite a bit further, even more than my UM3X. But they sound great with this little player, so I'm not complaining. Maybe a little heavy on the treble, but once I get the other one, I'll Rockbox it and use the EQ to tame the upper treble.


Edited by kloan - 10/21/10 at 5:34pm
post #14 of 35

I will be publishing a full review of the Shuffle soon. It IS in some ways better sounding (though not as warm -- less distortion) than the original shuffle which is still among my favourites. It has a tiny break between songs - about the same as what other manufacturers claim is 'gapless'. It isn't gapless. It drives very hard to drive iems quite well, though about a step below the Clip in terms of overall resolution. It beats the clip for hiss - there is none in comparison. You can hear it with very sensitive earphones: Final Audio FI-BA-SB and A1, for example, but only barely. Lowest hiss of any. Good battery life, decent control scheme. 

 

Honestly, I bought one only because my old shuffle was biting it (after 5 years). It has surprised me in every way. I don't care about iTunes - it does more than any software I've ever used and I've no (no longer that is) any vendetta against Apple. I use it, I close it, I listen - that is all. Had the iPod no need for iTunes, I'd still use it anyway to drag and drop playlists, all my favourite albums, ssongs, etc. thanks to great search features etc.

 

Shuffle isn't perfect, but it is one of the most impressive players I've used in a LONG time.

post #15 of 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by kloan View Post

Picked up a Clip+ to audition, figuring it'd have the same sound as the Clip.

 

It's a keeper. Has the sound I'm looking for, and the size is perfect, and it has a 'clip', so it's perfect.  I've gone ahead and ordered a silver 4GB Clip on eBay for $46 shipped, which seems like a good deal to me. When I receive that, I'll return this Clip+ to Future Shop.

 

Thanks for the recommendation guys!! smily_headphones1.gif

 

On a somewhat related note, I've tried it with a few different earphones, and the ADDIEMs are the hardest to drive, pretty strange. I have to turn the volume up quite a bit further, even more than my UM3X. But they sound great with this little player, so I'm not complaining. Maybe a little heavy on the treble, but once I get the other one, I'll Rockbox it and use the EQ to tame the upper treble.


 

Rockbox will be your savior if you really want to get picky about the EQ.  

 

I recommend using the automated installer for loading Rockbox on your system.  Make sure to load the bootloader and the Rockbox OS.  

http://www.rockbox.org/download/

 

You will also need the original Sansa firmware for the installation, which you can get here:

http://www.rockbox.org/wiki/SansaAMS

 

If your Clip is a Version 1 (like mine) your OS will be considered stable.  The V2 is considered unstable at the moment, but you likely won't experience any problems.  I have owned my Sansa Fuze V2 for months (which is also considered unstable the moment) and it works fine.

 

BTW, the Clip and Clip+ sound exactly the same so you should be very happy.

 

Enjoy!

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Portable Source Gear
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Source Gear › Best sounding smallest player?