Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors › Are there any IEMs better than ER4P for NOISE CANCELING?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Are there any IEMs better than ER4P for NOISE CANCELING?

post #1 of 17
Thread Starter 

I'd like to buy some IEMs for noisy environments, mainly air travel and server room visits ;-)

 

Are there any IEMs better than ER4P for NOISE CANCELING?

 

In similar price range (£144.96)

I should probably note, that I do not want to carry amplification (I use rockboxed sansa)

 

Thank you all

post #2 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmask View Post

I'd like to buy some IEMs for noisy environments, mainly air travel and server room visits ;-)

 

Are there any IEMs better than ER4P for NOISE CANCELING?

 

In similar price range (£144.96)

I should probably note, that I do not want to carry amplification (I use rockboxed sansa)

 

Thank you all


Klipsch Image X5/X10 are alternatives.  So are the Ety HF and MC series.  Shure 530 types of IEMs w/ olives can come pretty close.  Another option is to buy ear muffs to wear over your IEMs for extra isolation.

post #3 of 17

Etymotic is pretty much the unchallenged king when it comes to noise attenuation. But that doesn't mean you must get the er4p. As anaxilus already mentioned, there is the ety hf5, which the company rates as being equally isolating.

post #4 of 17

I agree - for half the cost of the ER4P, you can buy the HF5 and get almost the same sound quality, identical isolation and better build.
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JxK View Post

Etymotic is pretty much the unchallenged king when it comes to noise attenuation. But that doesn't mean you must get the er4p. As anaxilus already mentioned, there is the ety hf5, which the company rates as being equally isolating.

post #5 of 17

Just to clarify: 

Noise cancelling =/= Noise isolation

http://www.earphonesolutions.com/coofsoiseaan.html

 

AFAIK, no IEMs have noise cancelling.

post #6 of 17
Thread Starter 

Thanks guys

 

I'll probably get the HF5s (it is twice as cheap (£72.89) and pairs with my sansa price ;-)

 

PS. What does "Portable iPhone and iPod In-ear Earphones" mean - pure marketing or ?

 

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Etymotic-Research-Portable-iPhone-Earphones-/dp/B000XPG2QI/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1287647930&sr=8-1

post #7 of 17

yeah, its just marketing hype to attract the crApple users.  Ety actually make the HF2 for iPhone users, which is the HF5 with an inline mic and controls.

 

If you want an alternative to Amazon, consider buying the HF5 from iheadphones - is slightly cheaper and they are worth supporting as a company.  Have always given me the very best customer support in the past.

 

http://www.iheadphones.co.uk/headphones/23948/Etymotic+HF5+Black.htm
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmask View Post

Thanks guys

 

I'll probably get the HF5s (it is twice as cheap (£72.89) and pairs with my sansa price ;-)

 

PS. What does "Portable iPhone and iPod In-ear Earphones" mean - pure marketing or ?

 

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Etymotic-Research-Portable-iPhone-Earphones-/dp/B000XPG2QI/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1287647930&sr=8-1

post #8 of 17
Thread Starter 

One more thing: what is the difference between the HF2 and HF5 (other than included microphone and volume control kit)?

 

http://www.etymotic.com/ephp/hf2.html

 

http://www.etymotic.com/ephp/hf5.html

 

Weirdly the HF2s are cheaper then HF5s (in amazon)...

 

Thanks again.

post #9 of 17

No difference at all beyond that mic and volume thing mate. Difference in price is probably due to different suppliers?

 

By the way - there's a great review of both HF5 and HF2 here: http://www.stereophile.com/headphones/etymotic_research_hf2_amp_hf5_in-ear_headphones/
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmask View Post

One more thing: what is the difference between the HF2 and HF5 (other than included microphone and volume control kit)?

 

http://www.etymotic.com/ephp/hf2.html

 

http://www.etymotic.com/ephp/hf5.html

 

Weirdly the HF2s are cheaper then HF5s (in amazon)...

 

Thanks again.

post #10 of 17
Thread Starter 

Thanks, I'll get the cheaper HF2s then (they even say the mic is removable) ;-)

post #11 of 17

rmask:  I just looked at the Amazon link and the product header is incorrect.  Just to clarify - the HF2 microphone is not removable from the cable assembly.  The "Removable Blumaxx Microphone" listed there actually refers to the microphone from our original EtyBLU Bluetooth headset for cell phones. I'll see if I can get that corrected with our guys in the UK.   

 

Hope that helps, but let me know if you have any questions! 

post #12 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric_C View Post

AFAIK, no IEMs have noise cancelling.


Oh, there are definitely IEM with ANC feature. Denon AH-NC600, Sony MDR-NC33, MDR-NC300, and the upcoming Phiaton PS-20NC, just to name a few. Though I doubt any of them keeps as much noise out as a pair of Ety.

post #13 of 17



I lent my HF5s to a guy at work today so he could listen to music from his laptop.  Later in the day, I asked him the same question 4 times, not realising he had them in his ears.  His response? "These are bloody brilliant - you can't hear anything!"

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClieOS View Post


Oh, there are definitely IEM with ANC feature. Denon AH-NC600, Sony MDR-NC33, MDR-NC300, and the upcoming Phiaton PS-20NC, just to name a few. Though I doubt any of them keeps as much noise out as a pair of Ety.

post #14 of 17
Thread Starter 

Thanks guys, I've ordered the HF2s from amazon.

post #15 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bennyboy71 View Post

I agree - for half the cost of the ER4P, you can buy the HF5 and get almost the same sound quality, identical isolation and better build.
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JxK View Post

Etymotic is pretty much the unchallenged king when it comes to noise attenuation. But that doesn't mean you must get the er4p. As anaxilus already mentioned, there is the ety hf5, which the company rates as being equally isolating.






Thanks for your effort! This is what I'm looking for, It's comprehensive.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors › Are there any IEMs better than ER4P for NOISE CANCELING?