I know there are plenty of threads here on this topic and hopefully I'm not repeating any previous threads. I apologize in advance if I am but I have read many many different threads on this site before posting.
What I'm Looking for:
- I listen to primarily indie (Broken Bells, Arcade Fire, etc) and classical (Bach, Beethoven, etc). I do have some electronica/dance music so I would prefer a little extra bass. However I don't want it to overpower the mids/highs and I prefer it to be clear. I like a warmer sound texture but I'm not too picky as long as they aren't bright to the extent of annoyance. Due to my preferences of classical pieces and such Grados type headphones aren't for me. I prefer a little more soundstage.
- I do not listen to hip hop, rap, metal, screamo, dubstep, etc.
- I also like clarity and separation of various musical instruments and sounds, but it isn't a huge deal of the character of the headphone blends the sounds together a little.
- There isn't much of a need for portability, I usually carry around crappy sub $10 Sonys outside of home.
- I also want the best quality/durability/material that my budget can afford. I want these to last because they might be my only headphone purchase for a long time.
- I will NOT be amping these headphones. I'm not quite there yet in terms of audiophileness so headphones like the AKG K701s tend to be out of the question.
No dedicated amp or soundcard. Regular desktop/laptop computer and my Zune.
What I'm considering:
Beyers (good clarity, music is what is heard, and very durable/material qualtiy)
- DT770 - Decent but I've seen conflicting reviews on sound quality
- DT880 - Considered balanced. Good for many different types of music.
- DT990 - Might give me the extra bass that I want. In terms of sound it will provide the "Beyer" sound so its close to the DT880s
Shure SRH840s - Good overall balance. I already own a pair of SRH750s so I hope to decide on something besides the "shure" sound. Also comfort might be an issue here.
Ultrasones - I'm pretty much lost for this brand. HiFi, Pros, etc whats the difference? It also might not suit me as well since I do not have as much hip hop etc type music. I've also read about the bad quality bands that crack.
Dennons - Have not looked at this that much. I've read that the unamped D2000s are lower in quality than the rest listed above.
If you've made it this far down the thread I really appreciate it. I've put a lot of thought into this but I'm unable to arrive at a conclusion of what I want/need. Hopefully the awsome Head-fi community can help me out a little
If you have other suggestions for headphones I'm completely open to new brands or headphones that I haven't yet heard of XD
EDIT: I am planning on selling my SRH750s and go on for an upgrade, so again no amping. It may seem as an odd choice and I can understand but I often use my Zune so having to amp would just be an inconvenience to me. I might consider getting one later in life but just not now. Thanks!
EDIT: I also value comfort a lot. I need to use these for hours at a time. Also open and closed doesn't really matter.
EDIT: A lot of people suggesting an amp. I'll probably get into amps when I graduate from college. Right now my budget is for replacing the SRH750s that I've sold for something more balanced/classically oriented. Due to me being a student amping is extremely impractical so I'm not going to be going that route just yet. Thanks!
Edited by hudamanium - 10/21/10 at 2:31pm