I have been a faithful Head-Fi member the last 7 year.
It all started back in January 2004 when I came here looking for alternative earbuds/headphones for my newly acquired iPod. Got several tips and quickly realized that the members were knowledgeable, friendly and helpful - so I decided to stay around.
Years have gone and I have taken several steps, first into the world of electrostatics (SR-007BL and 8-10 more) then later into the K1000. Of course with their corresponding share of amplification and source.
I was gratefully given a stunning β22 two years ago. Carefully hand built by members of the community, using parts donated or bought with money donated by the members.
I am forever grateful!
...after close to 6 months (since May 6th) with this Huddler software I have had enough.
The vBulletin software used up to then caused me no major problems as a user. While the current Huddler software have caused and still cause me little but trouble.
I understand that Jude have taken the steps to free up more of his time, and I am sure it has. But the switch have not been to the best for what make up the community - its members.
Some of my issues with Huddler:
- Forum do not extend out on both sides. As a "Contributing Member Level 2/3" I got that feature in the old forum, but no such luck anymore.
- No cursor in message field.
- No line shifts (Enter/Return button does nothing) in message field.
- No spellcheck in message field. It inform me of a misspelled word, but ctrl-click only bring up a custom simple cut/copy/paste menu, not the standard browser one.
- Not able to quote a post and type below it.
- In the sub-forum list page there are no way to jump to last page if the last reply only contain an embedded picture.
- In the sub-forum list page there are no way to jump directly to a given page in a (long) thread. Only first or last.
- Search is lacking. It is really great at digging up those 5-6 year old threads though, instead of the current/newer ones.
- Ignore list is broken. First of all it does not block members of your ignore list to send you PMs. Second of all their posts show up in post preview.
- Picture posting problems. I choose to embed a picture hosted outside Head-Fi, but still it take over and make a local copy.
- Friends list. No friends anymore!
In the beginning Head-Fi was a vibrant community with really knowledgeable and helpful members.
But as the years passed on it turned into more of a newbies place. Not just in that they are unfamiliar with headphones, which I was in the beginning as well, but more in the way they behave around the forum. Instead of searching and reading they just jump out starting a new tread, asking the same question that numerous (!) members have already posted and gotten multiple replies on - like ex. "What is the BEST $50 headphone".
Ok, it is inevitable that a successful community grow larger. But it is sad for an "old" member to see it draining, which probably is one of the reasons many of the old trustful members are no longer around.
..and now I feel it is my time to leave.
Many of you will be missed - no names listed, none forgotten. You know who you are.
Thanks for reading!