Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Ultrasone edition 10 "THE BUTTERFLY" initial impressions
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Ultrasone edition 10 "THE BUTTERFLY" initial impressions - Page 7

post #91 of 2067

edit:not worth it anymore.

i am out of here for good/


Edited by midoo1990 - 10/24/10 at 9:30am
post #92 of 2067

Some people take themselves too seriously.  Enjoy the music.

post #93 of 2067


True. Question is who
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwkarth View Post

Some people take themselves too seriously.  Enjoy the music.

post #94 of 2067

I'm not going to make an observation on the ethics of what was done, but I will speak up to say that censorship--in any of its forms-- should be taken seriously.

 

Being able to discuss the actions a mod takes is important. Though I agree that an Edition 10 thread isn't the most appropriate of places to do so. 

post #95 of 2067

And just for reference, it was not me who deleted those recent posts.

post #96 of 2067
Quote:
Originally Posted by MuppetFace View Post

I'm not going to make an observation on the ethics of what was done, but I will speak up to say that censorship--in any of its forms-- should be taken seriously.

 

Being able to discuss the actions a mod takes is important. Though I agree that an Edition 10 thread isn't the most appropriate of places to do so. 


agree.


 

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwkarth View Post

And just for reference, it was not me who deleted those recent posts.


i know it wasnt you.it was from  someone who was given the title moderator some time ago.

apparently what i said didnt match his personal taste so he simply remove it in an arrogant move.

 

i will not discuss this anymore and derail this thread.you can continue your impressions..
 

post #97 of 2067

Toys, pram, out of....

post #98 of 2067

post #99 of 2067

I have been lurking among these forums for quite a while. This is my first post. I just got my Edition 10 at a local store 3 days ago. Overall, it is a very nice headphone with lots of details and as the OP had mentioned natural instrument sound. It is still in the burning in stage. Here are some initial impressions (with comparison to Ultrasone Edition 9) :

 

Bass

 

Very deep and tight bass. More refined than with Edition 9, it does not intrude into the mids. It is quite unusual for open dynamic headphones to have this type of bass. Not the boomy bass, but  one that is musical and refined.  I tried it with some organ music such as Bach's Toccata and Fugue in D Minor and Richard Strauss's Also Sprach Zaranthusa First Movement and find that it is very natural. The double bass lines in some classical pieces are also very musical. You can experience the depth of the vibration of the timpani, the deep wooden sound of the double bass and the low rumble of the tuba in certain recordings.

 

Mids

 

The mids are also as good as the bass. Both male and female vocals excelled in this area. I felt that Karen Carpenter never sounded better in other headphones I had tried. Little details that are not apparent in Edition 9 became quite easily distinguishable in the Edition 10. The violins and cellos sounded better and more natural than the Edition 9. The main advantage of Edition 10 is the ability to express the instruments in its original and natural image as pointed out by the OP. A violin sounded like a violin and a flute sounded like a flute just like you are hearing the music live in the concert hall. It sounds simple but I find that it is quite difficult to achieve this in a headphone.

 

Highs

 

The highs are sparkling and clear. This is one area I find that it excels the Edition 9 hands down. With better highs also comes better instrument separation. The harps just sounded heavenly with the Edition 10.

 

Soundstage

 

The soundstage is wider than the Edition 9. This is one area that is hard to nail down as it is still changing during the burn in process. It appears quite wide when new. It seems to become smaller as the burn in progresses. Hopefully, it will begin to open up soon.

 

Overall Summary

 

The Edition 10 is a neutral headphone. It tries to represent the music as it really is. The bass is something that is unexpected for an open headphone. It is excellent even when compared to the Edition 9.

 

Hope you like the impressions. Please understand that it only represents my personal opinions about the headphone. Have a nice day ahead!

post #100 of 2067
Thanks for your impressions.  Could you describe more about what system do you pair the Ed.10s with and whether you have observed anything negative about them, not just concerning sound quality, but other areas as well (build quality, presentation, etc.)?

 

And welcome to Head-Fi!

post #101 of 2067
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dynamic74 View Post

Soundstage

 

The soundstage is wider than the Edition 9. This is one area that is hard to nail down as it is still changing during the burn in process. It appears quite wide when new. It seems to become smaller as the burn in progresses. Hopefully, it will begin to open up soon.

 

 

"[The soundstage] seems to become smaller as the burn in progresses"

 

....Am I the only one who finds this kind of distressing?

post #102 of 2067

Maybe it's one of those 'it has to get worse before it gets better' things..?

post #103 of 2067

Well, if you believe in headphone burn-in, then you agree that something about the headphones change during that process...  And "change" isn't always for the better; which is why it's a good idea to just listen to and enjoy your headphones, rather than putting them under a pile of clothes for 2 weeks straight playing pink noise and loud, bass-heavy music.  In my opinion.  smily_headphones1.gifsmily_headphones1.gif


Edited by ktsai1283 - 10/25/10 at 11:04am
post #104 of 2067
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxvla View Post

Maybe it's one of those 'it has to get worse before it gets better' things..?



LOL, that's what I'm always telling myself about my life!

post #105 of 2067
Quote:
Originally Posted by ktsai1283 View Post

Well, if you believe in headphone burn-in, then you agree that something about the headphones change during that process...  And "change" isn't always for the better; which is why it's a good idea to just listen to and enjoy your headphones, rather than putting them under a pile of clothes for 2 weeks straight playing pink noise and loud, bass-heavy music.  In my opinion.  smily_headphones1.gifsmily_headphones1.gif


Why? For one, I've never had a component that I thought was amazing straight out of the box that sounded worse in any way after burn-in. Two, what difference would that make? If there was actually a headphone that somehow sounded like crap after running for two weeks, what would be the point of keeping it anyway? Oh man, glad I got that first week in! Now they sound terrible, good thing I didn't waste those precious hours when I liked these! That makes no sense.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Ultrasone edition 10 "THE BUTTERFLY" initial impressions